PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Confederate flag symbolizes white supremacy — and it always has

AuthorTopic: The Confederate flag symbolizes white supremacy — and it always has  (Read 11855 times)

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Confederate flag symbolizes white supremacy — and it always has
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »
Will banishing the Confederate flag actually increase its power?

Absolutely.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »
I wonder if the average African American would think differently?

I know damn good and well the average African-American feels differently, as do most of the average liberal-minded Caucasian  folks in the country, including a few  who post here. That's fine. It doesn't erase any facts, however.

A little sensitive to being part of the pasty white elite this morning Eddie? Don't sweat it, this entire Dolezal thing has more of the few of us crackers thinking about changing our race designation to collect better job opportunities in this affirmative action world. TPTB wouldn't change reverse discrimination, but we can with some tanning and a hair do!!

Quote from: Eddie
My intention in posting what I post, and in stating my own opinions here is not to foment arguments or to shout down anyone else's POV.  I just believe that the prevailing narratives we have about the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, and the effects of the Civil War, are largely a fairy tale. Something akin to George Washington and the cherry tree.

A nice story with a good moral that happens to just not be true.

The Civil War is easy. It was all about basic economics, and to some extent the same kind of Luddite based fears that are still with us today.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
SUN Flag 3
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
This one is more Geometric.

The Yellow Circle represents the SUN.

The Brown Hexagon represents the EARTH.

The Blue Field represents WATER.

The Green Bars represent LIVING THINGS.

sun flag 3
sun flag 3

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »
IMHO, this is media fueled distraction.

You betcha. If folks started to pay attention to other bills of goods they are being sold, they might revolt!!

Quote from: RE

This just deserves to stay in..well…because.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner Flag
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »
I don't have to design the Diner Flag.

It's already been done.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 11:22:03 AM »

This flag symbolizes overcoming racism through adaptation of sustainable hemp farming.

Also known in some circles as the racist pothead flag.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Apple Pulls All Civil War Games From The App Store
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »
This is getting plain stupid now.

RE

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 06/25/2015 12:38 -0400

Apple Google None

We have been following the Confederate flag scandal with bemused detachment, painfully aware for what it is: i) a welcome distraction from the real and very profound problems this country faces and ii) the latest escalation in what has been a relentless attempt to polarize the nation over the past several years, only instead of political ideology, gender, sexual preference, ethnic background, and most certainly wealth, this time the emphasis is on geographic origin and an implied relapse to the days of latent the pre-civil war "racism."

And yet while most such scandals fizzle quickly after the have heat their peak only to be replaced with the next day's watercooler talk as the following projection by Google trends predicts...

... this particular snafu is showing a particular determination to stay at the front pages. What is more surprising, is the apparent willingness of countless third parties, from the media, to retailers, to pundits, to keep this topic front and center in the public's consciousness.

To an extent all of that was expected. However, even we were stunned when we learned moments ago that none other than that ultimate "arbiter" on all things moral and ethical, Apple itself, entered the fray with a decision to remove all Civil War games from its App Store!

According to MacRumors, "Apple has removed seemingly all Civil War games from the App Store for displaying the Confederate Flag in "offensive and mean-spirited ways," our sister website TouchArcade has learned. Apple has sent a removal letter to affected developers to inform them that their app does not comply with Section 19.1 of the App Store Review Guidelines."

"19.1 Apps containing references or commentary about a religious, cultural or ethnic group that are defamatory, offensive, mean-spirited or likely to expose the targeted group to harm or violence will be rejected."

MacRumors further adds that it did do a spot check of the App Store and can confirm that Apple has removed dozens of Civil War games depicting the Confederate Flag. Most educational or generic Civil War apps remain available on the App Store.

A sampling of the Civil War games removed from the App Store:

Ultimate General: Gettysburg
    AAA American Civil War Cannon Shooter
    Civil War: Hidden Mysteries
    Civil War The Battle Game
    Civil War Defense
    Civil War Battle Defense
    1861 A Civil War Rebellion
    Civil War: 1862
    Civil War: 1863

Which begs the question: is the Confederate Flag scandal reaching beyond the ethical implications of last week's Charleston shooting and is it actively become an attempt to rewrite a "shameful" period of US history?

What's next: Amazon "censors" chapters on the US Civil War from history textbooks?

And just why are tech companies getting involved in what is, at its core, a political issue and by implication, censoring free expression and limiting the revenues of those hard working programmers who created the above listed games?

Finally, where does such selective "pre-screening" of what is deemed appropriate for public consumption end and who makes that determination? Because at last check every single nation that imposed such a "filter" to its own history no longer exists.

And in light of this dangerous revisionism, it makes us wonder if the correct term no longer "politically correct" but "political correction"?

h/t TheUberGuy
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »

RE

"Monkey See Monkey Do."

The dim have their new cause for the week.

Next are all history books, movies, confederate money, the song Dixie, southern accents etc.

The enlightened wonderful citizens of our democracy, doing good and feeling good as their freedoms, privacy, press are taken from them by their wonderful loving war mongering spying government.  :-\

TPTB must be roaring; rolling around the floors in wild uncontrollable belly laughter, guffawing with tears of joy at not being so afflicted.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »
Objectively u could say the cross is a far more offensive symbol ans should also be banned. It doesnt matter if it symbolizes jesus death and resurrection to some If it also means the white mans colonization of all indiginous people and the kkk to the expat blacks.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »

RE

"Monkey See Monkey Do."

Next are all history books, movies, confederate money, the song Dixie, southern accents etc.

The enlightened wonderful citizens of our democracy, doing good and feeling good as their freedoms, privacy, press are taken from them by their wonderful loving war mongering spying government.  :-\

TPTB must be roaring; rolling around the floors in wild uncontrollable belly laughter, guffawing with tears of joy at not being so afflicted.

Let's not forget the wonderful American Icon, Apple, censoring material.

American as Apple Pie the Dear Corp is. :laugh:

Claims To be Irish and hides a couple of hundred billion in Ireland from US Taxation.

Manufactures her wonderful products with built in spyware for NSA.

Puts the Gooks to work in her wonderful loving factories with nets around the periphery to catch the jumpers.

Has a loving CEO that praises God publicly for making him Gay and so special a person than the ordinary hetro folk.

Yes, Good old Apple, looking out for our welfare, no more Confederate games or apps.

No Shame, No Fucking Shame at all, not one iota.

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2013/05/21/apple-cook-faces-senate-questions-on-taxes/us-politics-tax-it-apple  :icon_study: :icon_study: :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh:  ::)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »
Objectively u could say the cross is a far more offensive symbol ans should also be banned. It doesnt matter if it symbolizes jesus death and resurrection to some If it also means the white mans colonization of all indiginous people and the kkk to the expat blacks.

Good point!  :emthup:

RE

"Monkey See Monkey Do."

Of course. The swastika was stolen by the NAZIs and made into a symbol that got equated to all the evil the NAZIs visited on the world in general and European Jews in particular. The swastika wasn't the problem; Empathy Deficit Disorder was (and still is) the problem. TPTB don't want to go there, of course.  :evil4:

Nevertheless, we cannot forget the giant finger to the civil rights movement that South Carolina making their state flag be the stars and bars, NOT in 1861, but in 1961, symbolized.

Like the NAZI flag, the stars and bars is a symbol of bigotry and the Empathy Deficit Disorder evil that afflicts human societies.

I agree with you that demonizing a symbol won't do much to reduce Empathy Deficit Disorder in humans. I disagree with you that it will do nothing. It is not a meaningless gesture. Just as South Carolina making their flag the stars and bars in 1961 was NOT a meaningless gesture, demonizing that flag also has meaning.

The ASSHOLES that voted to make the stars and bars the flag of South Carolina didn't do it to be nice. You KNOW THAT! Don't pretend you don't.

Several months ago I ranted and raved about how the cops were racist, bigoted and so on. Ashvin and "others" here challenged that with all sorts of amazingly convoluted bits of hair splitting logic that has subsequently been proven false.

The bottom line is that our society has a SICK (EDD) pecking order. This is wrong. This is destroying us. Your points about TPTB getting off on divide and conquer tactics are valid. But TPTB DID NOTHING to address the destructive EDD status quo the stars and bars stands for until they HAD TOO! Yes, they are trying to get out in front of this and look good (see murdering MLK Jr. and then making a statue for him a half century later  :evil4: ) but it needed to be done.   

To the demonization of the stars and bars, I say:

Any Port in the EDD storm

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -- Aldous Huxley

"Technical knowledge of Carrying Capacity will not save us; only a massive increase in Caring Capacity will." -- A. G. Gelbert

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:28:07 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 02:54:00 AM »
The Libertarians are getting fired up over this one!

RE

CNN Reporter Stunned As Young Black Man Defends Confederate Flag

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 06/25/2015 19:30 -0400

Department of Justice South Carolina Twitter Twitter

Submitted by Mike Krieger via Liberty Blitzkrieg blog,

Divide and conquer has been the most successful strategy used by humans to attain and maintain power since ancient times. The concept is simple and effective in that those being ruled are too busy fighting amongst themselves to be capable of taking a step back and seeing the bigger picture. The bigger picture is that they are being intentionally played.

This strategy is being quite effectively employed by the American oligarchy against the American population. While racism and associated violence certainly still exist, as we recently saw in the South Carolina tragedy, this remains a marginal issue compared to the relentless, systemic and daily oligarch oppression against hundreds of millions of people. The issue of the 0.01% versus the 99.99% is almost never covered or hyped on mainstream media, while issues of “sexism” and “racism” are covered and exploited incessantly. Why is that? It’s divide and conquer stupid.

Naturally, the American plebs must be kept distracted and consumed by issues that, while important, pale in comparison to the major issue of our time: The financial oppression of everyone by a handful of oligarchs and their servants in Congress. Nothing will change as long as we continue to fight amongst ourselves for the diminishing scraps of a shrinking pie and remain incapable of seeing the true problem. The status quo understands this and leverages it more than anyone wishes to admit.

I’ve found that the saying: “It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled,” is 100% true. People who are ignorant really are ignorant. They don’t get it, and they don’t want to get it. Only a serious shock, often financial hardship, can get people to question the false paradigms they have accepted for years if not their entire lives. This is why I don’t expect real change to kick in until the next economic downturn arrives.

Before I share a video of the very eloquent, introspective and brave Bryan Thomas, I want to make a few things clear. Personally, I find the Confederate Flag to be offensive. You can’t deny that to many people it elicits painful images of slavery and oppression. Personally, I don’t like looking at the flag and I wouldn’t want it around me. But this is my personal preference and perspective. If someone else wants to fly it because it means something about southern pride, racial bias, or whatever else, that is their right. The flag is a free speech issue. People have a right to offend me or anyone else. All that said, I do think whether or not it flies on state capitols is a fair and necessary debate.

However, is it the most existential issue facing American society today? Of course not. After all, we have a black President who has systematically funneled as much money as possible to the most entrenched wealthy elites in America, and has governed as if his top priority was a seamless continuation of the George W. Bush administration. If that doesn’t prove to you that symbols don’t really mean much in big picture, I don’t know what will. Symbols are just that, symbols.

As I quipped on Twitter yesterday:

Now watch the CNN interview. Whether or not you agree with his opinion, we should all agree to defend his right to have an opinion, and to do whatever he wants with a piece of colored cloth.

I believe this hype about the flag is just another attempt by the status quo to attack free speech in a crafty manner. Similar to the recent attack on blog comment sections, which I wrote about in the recent post:

The War on Free Speech – U.S. Department of Justice Subpoenas Reason.com Over Comment Section
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 06:59:36 AM »
Before I share a video of the very eloquent, introspective and brave Bryan Thomas, I want to make a few things clear. Personally, I find the Confederate Flag to be offensive. You can’t deny that to many people it elicits painful images of slavery and oppression. Personally, I don’t like looking at the flag and I wouldn’t want it around me. But this is my personal preference and perspective. If someone else wants to fly it because it means something about southern pride, racial bias, or whatever else, that is their right. The flag is a free speech issue. People have a right to offend me or anyone else. All that said, I do think whether or not it flies on state capitols is a fair and necessary debate.

Gotta make the disclaimer, or you're a racist, for sure.

Haven't watched the video because I'm at work, but did you know that in the 1890 census, that there were still about 4000 people self-reporting as black Confederate veterans and widows? My guess is that those guys were fighting for something other than the preservation of slavery.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »
Group to parade Confederate flags down State Road 60

A rally organizer says people will drive from Brandon to Tampa on Friday to support the Confederate flag.

"You can ban it. You can take it away, but at the end of day, you can’t take our belief away,” the event organizer says.

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL (WFLA) — As controversy continues to surround the Confederate flag, a group is planning a rally around the stars and bars on the streets of Hillsborough County Friday night.

William Pew is organizing Friday’s “Drive for Pride” event. He claims the group is not promoting hatred, rather Southern heritage and the First Amendment. “You can ban it. You can take it away, but at the end of day, you can’t take our belief away,” Pew said.

Civil rights leaders wish the group would rethink the rally. “Driving around with rebel flags at a moment right now, where that flag is so completely soaked in blood, is indefensible,” said Nadine Smith with Equality Florida.

Pew claims at least one-hundred drivers will deck out their vehicles with Confederate flags and drive along State Road 60 from Brandon to Tampa Friday starting at 7 p.m.

http://wfla.com/2015/06/26/group-to-parade-confederate-flags-down-state-road-60/
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
Group to parade Confederate flags down State Road 60

I have a Flag article ready for Sunday Brunch.

It is THE definitive article on the Flag controversy.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN