AuthorTopic: Photographic History Essays Journal - North Vietnamese Veterans Stories  (Read 404 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
A new thread for Diners to post photo essays of Historic events of Diner's interest.

I came across this photo essay this morning and it broke my heart to remember this fucking horror.

It was a "JUST A MISTAKE" said McNamara in his mea culpa book.  NO FUCKING SHIT DICK HEAD

The conflict in Vietnam ended 40 years ago, with chaotic scenes in Saigon, now Ho Chi Minh City, as the North Vietnamese Army closed in on the heart of power, its tanks ploughing through the gates of the South Vietnamese presidential palace on 30 April 1975.

On board one of the tanks was Pham Xuan Do, who is seen in the picture above proudly wearing his uniform from the time.

Le Ba Bon, 63, was from a family of rice farmers and withdrew from school in 1972 to join the North Vietnamese Army. He said: "Starting life after the war was terrifying to me. With my injuries, I could not continue my education or find a job. But I have let go of my hurt and pain. It's time to look into the future and begin cooperating." (Photograph by Joey Rosa)

Pham An Thic (left) served in an artillery unit from 1965 to 1977 and was the only son in his family who survived the war. His mother, Dau (right), now almost blind, remembers receiving the letters from the government announcing that her other four sons had been killed.

Tran Thi Thon served in the North Vietnamese army from 1965 to 1975, delivering supplies from the North to the South.

"The day I remember most vividly was the day we found a downed American pilot.," she said.

"I saw that he had lost his shoe, so I took my shoe off and strapped it on his foot.

"Then, I took my handkerchief out and wiped the blood off his face.

"I felt very sympathetic because he was just another human and he didn't want to be in this war just like I didn't.

"The pilot then told my crew to hide, as a rescue helicopter was on its way and they would shoot us.

"But the helicopter never came and the pilot was captured by our soldiers."

While making her deliveries, she saw a yellow liquid covering the jungle.

It felt cool to the touch, so she and her teammates picked leaves and rubbed the substance on their skin to refresh themselves. It was Agent Orange.

Now, the skin on her arms, legs, and stomach is covered in scars.

She underwent several operations to repair the damage.

But the worst consequence of the exposure were the birth defects of her son, who died of lung cancer at the age of 35, and her daughter, who is physically and mentally disabled. (Photograph by Lonnie Schlein)

Luong Duc Pho was a driver, transporting soldiers in his jeep as well as rebuilding and clearing roads to facilitate the transportation of weapons and food.

Pho waited 15 years to recover the body of his brother killed in the war.

"The young generation doesn't know anything about the hardships of war," he said.

"They have never been through this. They don't know what being hungry means.

"It is important that they learn more to understand what we endured and why we did it." (Photograph by Raul Roman)

This is just an excerpt from this photo article. Interested Diners link below for entire essay from BBC :'(

http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-33408096   :icon_study: :-[

"Gold Will Win"