AuthorTopic: To Kill a Mockingbird, the Director's Cut  (Read 455 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
To Kill a Mockingbird, the Director's Cut
« on: July 11, 2015, 12:47:42 PM »
In keeping with my incomprehensible defense of southern bigots, I give you my take on the shocking news that the book that best carries the water for the US Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's,  To Kill a Mockingbird, was a rewrite of a book that publishers wouldn't touch at the time.

This is page one NY Times today:

"Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman Gives Atticus Finch a Dark Side"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/books/review-harper-lees-go-set-a-watchman-gives-atticus-finch-a-dark-side.html?_r=0

I really have to read this book, which has gotten so much hype. And read To Kill a Mockingbird as a companion piece, to see how the books compare and contrast.

In 1957, when Lee tried to get Watchman published, she was admonished to  change it by her NY publishers, who would have been pushing the agenda of the Warren Court, the cutting edge of a wave of liberal thought that was forcing the south to put an end to 80 years of Jim Crow.

They did not want to have the southern father figure to have feet of racist clay, even though any real small town southern lawyer of the day would have been EXACTLY like the Atticus Lee writes about in Watchman, whereas the Atticus known to most of us from the movie role of Gregory Peck (he won the Oscar for Best Actor for it in '63) is unlikely to have ever existed at all in any town in the southland.

Lee, the literary world's best known one hit wonder, did what she was told. She rewrote the book to carry the meme that was being created by Earl Warren and sanctioned by the liberal intelligentsia of the NY publishing establishment. To reward her, they gave her the Pulitzer, and her real novel somehow got "lost" for 57 years. I'm surprised it's been published now.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:30:40 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.