0 (0%)
10,000-49,999
1 (20%)
50,000-99,999
2 (40%)
100K-236K
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

AuthorTopic: DD Growth Milestones  (Read 91066 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
DD Growth Milestones: 100,000 Page Hits
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »
OK, its mostly Spiders, but still a nice big number :-)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
99%
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
99 Diners. 1 more to TRIPLE DIGITS!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Century Mark Hit in Diners!!!!
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »
Triple Digits!

This is a first for me in any Forum I ever managed on any topic.  Most was in the 80s I think before this.

We may need some more tables in here pretty soon.

Also probably invest in some fire extinguishers.  Something is burning inside the Diner...  :violent5:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
4 Months of Exponential Growth!
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »
OK, its mostly Spiders, but still a nice big number :-)

We officially Doubled last month's Page Hits from 35K to 70K this month :jawdrop:

The Spiders at least seem to find us interesting.

At this rate, we should hit 1M Page Hits inside of 6 months.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DD Growth Milestones: 100K Page Hits in ONE MONTH!
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
OK folks, we just passed the 100K mark on Page Hits for the month of May, nearly TRIPLE last months numbers of 35K.  Clearly we are doing well with the Spiders. LOL.Still exhibiting Exponential Growth after 4 months of operation here at least in these kind of numbers.

Forum participation is good also, good posting in both Quantity and Quality.  I am convinced now we have a good Product and Bully Pulpit from which to get the MESSAGE out to more people.

Still, much as the Spiders and Bots are good for generating up some Big Numbers, I'd like to see more PARTICIPATORY Members, so continue to spread the WORD about DD to your friends, both IRL and in Cyberspace.  Remember, the BEST way to Advertise is to PLUG THE LIVING SHIT out of the product, anywhere you can, as much as you can any time you can.

Let's make DD #1 in Doom on the Net!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DD Growth Milestones: 16,732 SINGLE DAY PAGE HITS!
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »
I've stopped cataloguing all the Numerical Milestones the software here is recording, because particularly with respect to Page Hits, its not very clear how many represent Human Eyeballs and how many are Spiders.

However, the June 11th Number is so big I have to report it.  16,732 Page Hits in ONE DAY!  YOWZA!

I also looked up our Alexa Ranking compared to some of our Blog Friends/Crossposters.

Currently, DD is ranked down at 2.6M websites ahead of us.  Not great but last month we were down at 3.3M.

Urban Scout is at 5.3M
Economic Undertow is at 2.94M
Our Finite World is way up the ranks from there at 322K
The Automatic Earth beats OFW at 206K
The Slog is at 110K
Alt-Market at 102K

Setting a Goal for DD to crack the 1M mark on Alexa by the end of Summer.

Get the word out! PLUG THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF DD!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Growth Milestones
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
Closing in fast on 200 members! 
One minor technical problem to report. Starting about a week ago I keep getting these messages of the "server is being reset" try again as I click on the Diner and it's various links. It blanks out the page completely and forces you to reload the page. A minor problem for sure,what could be easier to correct a problem that clicking a mouse again? However in the last few days it is requiring a few clicks of the mouse rather than one and have picked up a new problem of it happening while I am in the middle of typing a posting and it erases everything. I have cleared my browser cache, cleared cookies, run disk cleanup and have done a disk defragment. The problem persists. It is a very minor annoyance. I am not complaining, only mentioning it in case it is a harbinger of a problem developing due to our increased membership and activity. My knowledge of computer workings is Zilch 0.   GO

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »
I'll optimize the database again and check for errors.

The number of spam members signing up is a sign of how un/popular the site is. Other less contentious sites with the same sign up security settings are not getting hit at all. Keep up the good work!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »
Closing in fast on 200 members!

My guess is around 2/3rds of the membership are Spammers.

The massive page hit numbers we were getting for a while have also subsided and seem to have stabilized around 1500/day again.

However, I do see steady growth in the number of new Contributors participating, and that is what I feel is most important as a benchmark for how well the Diner is doing.  Its getting to the point now where if you are away from your computer for a few hours, there's always at least a half dozen new posts put up.  That's a nice perky Message board.

On your computer issues, no clue but I haven't had any of those issues.  Peter says he'll look into it though.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »
The database was ok and the indexes are now optimized. I also increased the level of complexity in the signup process another notch. Changed the spider setting so the spider name shows on the active list. Three spiders are regularly active, google, Msn and Baidu (top chinese search engine). Set spider logging to very high for a period to see what pages they are visiting.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »
We just picked up our 200th member. Welcome to the Diner Riddley Walker.  :hi:

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »
We just picked up our 200th member. Welcome to the Diner Riddley Walker.  :hi:

Congrats to DD, and Welcome to the Diner Riddley! :multiplespotting:
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2012, 08:20:37 AM »
The database was ok and the indexes are now optimized. I also increased the level of complexity in the signup process another notch. Changed the spider setting so the spider name shows on the active list. Three spiders are regularly active, google, Msn and Baidu (top chinese search engine). Set spider logging to very high for a period to see what pages they are visiting.
Hi Peter, My reported problem apparently has been solved. Has not happened for a few days. I also see the spiders listed now when logging on instead of just the number that are active. Thanks for your efforts.   Regards, GO

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »
Hi Peter, My reported problem apparently has been solved. Has not happened for a few days. I also see the spiders listed now when logging on instead of just the number that are active. Thanks for your efforts.   Regards, GO

+1, GO.

Peter, your continual efforts on behalf of DD are just wonderful. Those of us who take most our meals at the Diner appreciate your work!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
Surly Quote "+1, GO.

Peter, your continual efforts on behalf of DD are just wonderful. Those of us who take most our meals at the Diner appreciate your work!"

We sure do Peter, you have to be one of the most industrious, resourceful, nicest people on the planet.  I think EL G said it best when he mentioned you when joining the Diner. It was something to the effect that, "It should be obvious to everyone here that Peter has a V-12 Brain,"  Thanks again Peter