AuthorTopic: Just for fun  (Read 16293 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Just for fun
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »
Check this out.

I suspect most Diners who choose to play will check in with very "strong minds."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sLAp3PMDIQY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sLAp3PMDIQY</a>
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Just for fun
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:33:20 AM »
In the 1970's we developed a much better test of who has a strong mind, which was to drop a hit of blotter acid and then see who could still drive home in four or five hours. Those who passed don't need to take this test. The ones who didn't aren't with us anymore.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »
Check this out.

I suspect most Diners who choose to play will check in with very "strong minds."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sLAp3PMDIQY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sLAp3PMDIQY</a>

Nice test... I didn't say any wrong, but on the final stage I missed some completely....
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »
Check this out.

Nice test... I didn't say any wrong, but on the final stage I missed some completely....

Generally avoid these things like the plague, but this one appealed to me. Which is why I posted it.
I got the same results. I couldn't even get my mouth open for some of the  ones in the last round.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
In the 1970's we developed a much better test of who has a strong mind, which was to drop a hit of blotter acid and then see who could still drive home in four or five hours. Those who passed don't need to take this test. The ones who didn't aren't with us anymore.

:icon_mrgreen: :emthup:

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Hulk in Brazil? Cyclist lifts car out of bike lane with bare hands (VIDEO)

A video of a Brazilian cyclist lifting a car out of the bicycle lane with his bare hands is rocking YouTube. The car blocking the cycle lane apparently got on the man’s wrong side, and he wasn’t going to just ride around and leave.
The footage titled “O homem mais forte do mundo” (“The strongest man in the world”) was uploaded by YouTube user Joe Loreto on Monday. By Tuesday it had been viewed over 710,000 times.

When the man calmly lifts the car, the crowd starts cheering in amazement. Autoevolution website identifies the vehicle as a Fiat Uno, a supermini-car produced in Italy, whose curb weight ranges from 711 kilograms to 910 kilograms.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/luNGjffDjCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/luNGjffDjCs</a>

After the stunt, the man goes back to his bike and nonchalantly rides away.

“I like the fact that he just casually rides away,” one user wrote in the comments under the video, while another said: “I wish I had the strength.”

It is yet not clear in what location the viral footage was recorded, but some social media users suggested that it was taken somewhere in the city of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:11 AM »
Just when you thought it was nigh on impossible for a Republican to do anything more ridiculous, along comes Ted Cruz. It’s a gift!
I can imagine Cruz and his team sitting around, thinking of ways to make people sit up and take notice. After all, he’s going up against The Donald and the days of presidential gravitas. Imagine:  Tedd-o's team is sitting around the table, deep in thought about what would get the attention of the electorate AND illustrate what a great POTUS Cruz would make. Hmmm. What do people like? Well, in Texas, they like bacon. Doesn’t everybody? Yeah! And they like guns! People like guns, right? Double yeah! We’ve got it, guys! The perfect presidential campaign video, sure to go viral and show that Trump guy a thing or two!

I give you Making Machine-Gun Bacon with Ted Cruz.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EaZGaJrd3x8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EaZGaJrd3x8</a>

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 07:35:09 AM »
Just when you thought it was nigh on impossible for a Republican to do anything more ridiculous, along comes Ted Cruz. It’s a gift!
Not if you work at The Onion... they're hard-pressed to come up with things more ridiculous than what's actually happening.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »
Not if you work at The Onion... they're hard-pressed to come up with things more ridiculous than what's actually happening.

Some years ago, the news outstripped the normal capacity for satire. I have to admit, the above story got me looking for the characteristic "The Onion" device at the end of the story. Not there.

As Doc Thompson was wont to say, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
The fact that Cruz was elected to the Senate at all  is a testament to the effects of Republican gerrymandering in the State of Texas.

And it probably didn't help that hispanic voters in Texas really aren't that sophisiticated. I really wonder how many marked his name because he sounded like he might be Mexican.

Hunter's words keep coming back to me too:

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely…. The Swine are gearing down for a serious workout this time around.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Just for fun: The NEW Devil's Disctionary
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »
This is well worth reading: Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary updated for a modern age. Not going to post the whole thing. Suffice it to say it will reward the visit.

The New Devil’s Dictionary
“DICTIONARY, n. A malevolent literary device for cramping the growth of a language and making it hard and inelastic. This dictionary, however, is a most useful work.” — Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary
Published August 5th, 2015
Ambrose Bierce’s last words were found in a letter he sent to an intimate friend in the winter of 1913. “As to me,” he wrote, “I leave here tomorrow for an unknown destination.” Then he disappeared in Mexico and was never heard from again.

A famed journalist and essayist of the late 19th century, Bierce was also one of America’s sharpest cynics. His legacy was entombed in The Devil’s Dictionary: a satirical lexicon originally published in 1906. The dictionary is a collection of comic definitions that he wrote over several decades as a columnist for the San Francisco News Letter and other publications.

As with all dictionaries, Bierce’s work was a comment on his own time, though some of the best Devil’s Dictionary entries are timeless:

APOLOGIZE, v. To lay the foundation for a future offence.

KILL, v. To create a vacancy without nominating a successor.

YEAR, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.
With a penchant for piercing aphorism, Bierce would have felt right at home on Twitter. (His nihilistic motto, “nothing matters,” has found new life there, at least among bitter writers such as this one.) If reviewed today, his dictionary would be considered a masterwork in trolling.

Over the past century, Bierce’s work has been extensively borrowed and reprinted. Many “unabridged” versions of his dictionary have been published. Following that tradition, we have updated The Devil’s Dictionary for an age that desperately needs it.

— T.C. Sottek, editor

Excerpts:

Amazon Prime (n.)
A parasite used by an apex predator to sedate its human host.

car (n.): A suit of armor that grants its wearer delusions of invulnerability while depriving them of social graces.

earnings (n.): A quarterly report on a company’s success in squeezing its customers and paying its employees just enough to prevent them from dying.

eyeballs (n.)
The round parts of the eyes of a vertebrate, traditionally amputated and shipped to advertisers upon the viewing of content.

librarian (n.)
A vestigial crypt keeper who may be useful if they possess a Wi-Fi password.

Kickstarter (n.)
A contemporary take on the marketplace wherein people exchange money for lies.

See the rest here:
http://www.theverge.com/a/new-devils-dictionary

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 02:30:32 PM »
Enjoyed this...
Thanks for posting
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
“I leave here tomorrow for an unknown destination.”

Great epitaph.

Ambrose Bierce is a fascinating subject. I think maybe I'll write my thesis on him when I go for my PhD. in American Lit. Maybe compare and contrast him to HST. There are some similarities...they both lived in San Francisco before rent got so outrageous, for instance...

Many fine quotes. I like this one:

War is God’s way of teaching Americans geography.

— Ambrose Bierce

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXuQnDeIyY8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NXuQnDeIyY8</a>

Kinetic Rain is a moving sculpture that was installed in early July 2012 in the Departure-Check-in hall of Terminal 1 of Singapore Changi Airport

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
You see these very so often: a reminder of how far literacy has fallen in several generations.

Below is a test that was administered to eighth graders in Bullitt County Schools (Kentucky) in 1912. Many children that passed the examination would receive scholarships to go to high schools. In those days it was not easy as many high schools were sometimes another county away. Farm kids could rarely afford to go.

The test is rather difficult. Comparing the curricula of many schools today, it is evident that these kids were much more prepared not only in national geography and history but world geography and history, something that is lacking today.

While many may think with the advent of computers, the internet, TV, radio, and other high tech equipment that Americans would be more intelligent, sadly, the American educational system has been allowed to degenerate into very substandard levels.

Many recent studies have indicated that American education has been lagging those of industrialized countries. The subliminal war on education via austerity and transfer of public dollars to for profit education (vouchers) makes the degeneration of the American education a continued slide to mediocrity.

Article here: https://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/13/1230894/-Most-Adults-Would-Likely-Fail-This-1912-8th-Grade-Test-Try-It-VIDEO?detail=emailclassic

There are some questions on the test that are a bit dated and may justifiably stump many. Questions like the 3 largest states would have a different answer today than then. A question like the number of presidents who died in office is different today than then. Also the names of some countries is different today than then. Most of the questions however apply today as it did then so there should be no excuse that if students could successfully do the test then they should now.

Try the test. Don’t use a calculator or the internet. How did you do? The answers are here.