AuthorTopic: Our window air conditioner just quit running, and guess why?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
So, yesterday our window air conditioner started making this strange noise. After about 2 hours of these strange noises it just stopped running, like the motor froze up. So I thought this morning I would take it down ( it's about 20 years old ) and find out how many btu's it creates and go to Lowes ( which I hate ) and buy a new one. (side note....I use to build costume cabinets in the 70's and then the lumber yards started getting pre-made cabinets to make kitchens and they ran us out of business. Then Lowes comes along and runs 90% of the local lumber yards out of business!!! ) So I take the shell off the unit, and one of the monks declares "There is a Black snake rapped around the fan"!!! So they reached down ( with gloves ) and pulled the snake out and freaked out and dropped back into the air conditioner. I go "OH NO!", but the snake ( which is about two feet long and probably about an inch thick ) slithers under the unit and out onto the floor, so I picked it up bare handed and flung it out the opening in the wall. ( We just cut the right size whole for the window unit to fit in ). Plugged that baby in, and she is running like new!!!! keeping our fingers crossed. :)
  I don't think it terribly unusual for a snake or lizard to climb into those units, especially when it's 95 degrees and the humidity is 85%!! But that was a first for me.
Mark Twain 'There are many humorous things in the world; among them, the white man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages.'

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Our window air conditioner just quit running, and guess why?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:28:48 AM »
Here we get problems with fire ants.

Good save on the snake and the AC unit.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Mercury

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »
Because it's a machine?  :-\
Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:17:04 AM »
So, yesterday our window air conditioner started making this strange noise. After about 2 hours of these strange noises it just stopped running, like the motor froze up. So I thought this morning I would take it down ( it's about 20 years old ) and find out how many btu's it creates and go to Lowes ( which I hate ) and buy a new one. (side note....I use to build costume cabinets in the 70's and then the lumber yards started getting pre-made cabinets to make kitchens and they ran us out of business. Then Lowes comes along and runs 90% of the local lumber yards out of business!!! ) So I take the shell off the unit, and one of the monks declares "There is a Black snake rapped around the fan"!!! So they reached down ( with gloves ) and pulled the snake out and freaked out and dropped back into the air conditioner. I go "OH NO!", but the snake ( which is about two feet long and probably about an inch thick ) slithers under the unit and out onto the floor, so I picked it up bare handed and flung it out the opening in the wall. ( We just cut the right size whole for the window unit to fit in ). Plugged that baby in, and she is running like new!!!! keeping our fingers crossed. :)
  I don't think it terribly unusual for a snake or lizard to climb into those units, especially when it's 95 degrees and the humidity is 85%!! But that was a first for me.

Black Snakes aren't poisonous, so although your Heroism is noted here on the Diner, you weren't in any real danger.  You might have got a nasty bite though.

Black Racers are fast moving, highly active, diurnal snakes. Their diet consists primarily of small rodents, frogs, toads, lizards, and other snakes.[7] Some subspecies are known to climb trees in order to eat eggs and young birds. Juveniles often consume soft-bodied insects, such as crickets and moths[citation needed]. Despite their specific name, constrictor, they do not really employ constriction, instead simply subduing struggling prey by pinning it bodily, pressing one or two coils against it to hold it in place instead of actually suffocating it. Most smaller prey items are simply swallowed alive.

They are curious snakes with excellent vision, and are sometimes seen raising their head above the height of the grass they are crawling in to view what is around them. Aptly named, racers are very fast and typically flee from a potential predator. However, once cornered they put up a vigorous fight, biting hard and often. They are difficult to handle and will writhe, defecate and release a foul smelling musk from their cloaca. Rattling their tails among dry leaves, racers can sound convincingly like rattlesnakes.[8]

Given their diet, they probably aren't bad eating, so you threw away probably 2 days of solid animal protein there!  What a waste!  You also might have made a nice new Wallet out of the skin!

RE
Save As Many As You Can