AuthorTopic: Why All the Shooters?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Why All the Shooters?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 02:04:47 PM »
Might have been. For a second. Once. But then it didn't work out so well compared to other forms of investments so..oh well..lesson learned.

Yes, We all have disappointments in our portfolios.

At least Gold is not off the board and will most likely be around for quite a while, no matter what fiat price it's quoted in.

Have had others that went into the waste basket.

Told a good friend of mine once I wanted to diversify out of the resource sector for a change and buy a quality tech or software stock.

He was an expert in the field. You want to own some Lotus he told me, king of the software companies.They invented the spread sheet and so on and so on. That was a real bummer, got taken over by IBM years later for peanuts because it was going clean and they got it for zilch, they wanted some patents they had.

Then there was wizard Ken Heebner touting Petrobras. They are the Saudi Arabia of South America he claimed. Biggest offshore oil find in history he proclaimed. Billions and billions of barrels right next to a thirsty America in a friendly jurisdiction. Plus it's a blue chip with a 5% dividend yield. Went for the bait, got in over 40 and it went straight to 5, that was before the oil price collapse. Some blue chip, the dividend is long gone and the CEO and board of directors are all up on criminal fraud charges.  :'(

Gold will always be there MKing, keep the faith my fellow gold bug.  Also sleep tight knowing if you expire too soon the kids will score on your behalf as stated. 

I'm not surprised you thought of them. I Tell everyone you really are a nice guy, if they would just learn to look through your arrogant, nasty, ball buster mask.    ::)  :icon_sunny:

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 02:55:05 PM »
Might have been. For a second. Once. But then it didn't work out so well compared to other forms of investments so..oh well..lesson learned.

Yes, We all have disappointments in our portfolios.

Oh boy! Gold isn't even my WORST!!

Quote from: Golden Oxen
At least Gold is not off the board and will most likely be around for quite a while, no matter what fiat price it's quoted in.

True. And when I drop dead, and my kids gleefully dump all of mine to buy some gizmo, or put a down payment on a house or something, they will enjoy the benefits of it that I never could.

Told a good friend of mine once I wanted to diversify out of the resource sector for a change and buy a quality tech or software stock.

He was an expert in the field. You want to own some Lotus he told me, king of the software companies.They invented the spread sheet and so on and so on. That was a real bummer, got taken over by IBM years later for peanuts because it was going clean and they got it for zilch, they wanted some patents they had.

I know people who still use Lotus!!! Matter of fact, I bet I've even got a copy of Symphony around the house here, or even Word Perfect!! I liked both. Didn't invest in either though, and good thing!!

Gold will always be there MKing, keep the faith my fellow gold bug.  Also sleep tight knowing if you expire too soon the kids will score on your behalf as stated. 

Yup. And if the price of the stuff would just get above some break even real price, say $7000/ounce or something, I might dump it myself, just to top worrying about where to hide it from robbers and soon to be released drug users who weren't violent before but might suddenly become so in my neighborhood.

I'm not surprised you thought of them. I Tell everyone you really are a nice guy, if they would just learn to look through your arrogant, nasty, ball buster mask.    ::)  :icon_sunny:

Why gee thanks GO. I think.  :icon_mrgreen:
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »
..especially since they will exponentially increase in number as the collapse progresses.

RE

Progresses? You mean, gas prices are going to get lower AGAIN?!?!?

I fully expect, at some point in the coming decades, gas prices are going to get so low that it won't be worth trucking the gasoline out to the gas stations, you'll have to go to the refinery distribution terminals to pick it up there.  Bring lots of gas cans! ... especially if it is more than half a tank's worth distance from home.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
..especially since they will exponentially increase in number as the collapse progresses.

RE

I fully expect, at some point in the coming decades, gas prices are going to get so low that it won't be worth trucking the gasoline out to the gas stations, you'll have to go to the refinery distribution terminals to pick it up there.  Bring lots of gas cans! ... especially if it is more than half a tank's worth distance from home.

The price cannot go up beyond short term speculation and/or shortages developing until and unless credit is issued to the end consumer to buy it and burn it.  There is  no indication that further credit will be issued to the end consumers.

ShortOnOil came up with the likely low point at around $12/bbl by 2020, at which point about nobody will be pumping it because it will lose money with every barrel you pump up.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »

RE

I fully expect, at some point in the coming decades, gas prices are going to get so low that it won't be worth trucking the gasoline out to the gas stations, you'll have to go to the refinery distribution terminals to pick it up there. 

No problem. I'll load the trunk of the EV with gas cans, EV on over, fill up the cans, bring them back, mark them up 50% and sell them to my neighbors who don't want to and are willing to pay others for the convenience of not having to. A great business model, no wonder the Seven Sisters didn't leave that part out of their integrated oil company model when they invented it!

Quote from: jdwheeler42
Bring lots of gas cans! ... especially if it is more than half a tank's worth distance from home.

I can actually make it to the local refinery and back on EV power, so sure,no problem. But it is that 50% markup for my neighbor that I am really looking forward to!. I could make enough to quit my day job I bet, retire early!
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama