AuthorTopic: Diamond Prices Confirm Deflation  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Diamond Prices Confirm Deflation
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
Chinese high-rollers have lost their taste for fancy gemstones, apparently.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-price-of-diamonds-is-collapsing-2015-7
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Diamond Prices Confirm Deflation
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:57:40 AM »
"Confirm deflation" is amusing…some product used by the well to do drops and its deflation, who CARES about the price of heating your home, or lighting it, or steak, or tires on the car or medical care or education, oh my NO, diamonds go down and it is deflation!!

You wrote that title Eddie, do you actually BUY that idea? Because big sail boats (toys of rich folks) are suddenly selling cheap, this REALLY means deflation for the majority?
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:22:26 AM »
Asset deflation is what I'm referring to. Should have said that.

A friend of mine said it better than I could have. He said , "We have deflation in the things we own, but inflation in the things we need to buy."

Still true,imho, in spite of the drop in fuel prices at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:19:39 PM by Eddie »

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »
Asset deflation is what I'm referring too. Should have said that.

A friend of mine said it better than I could have. He said , "We have deflation in the things we own, but inflation in the things we need to buy."

So you consider diamonds an asset? I've always viewed them similar to gold, they might lose value just as badly as gold has, measured in fiat, certainly I've owned diamonds before, once upon a time I sold motorcycles to buy them for the wife. Don't recall losing much on them when I traded one for another, or making anything above what I paid, so sounds like a gold type investment model to a simple investor such as myself.

As far as fuel prices, I am so seriously irritated at my new investment in yet another machine that uses no gasoline and I can't even appreciate the fuel price drop. I need a monster truck to go vaporize hundreds of gallons so I can appreciate the savings as the price of fuel goes down. Sounds ridiculous, and is, but for as long as I've been mostly impervious to gasoline prices, I've been irritated when the price is low and everyone else begins combusting cheap fuel and I can't.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »

Here is some interesting insight on the diamond cartel I stumbled upon only yesterday. IN the contest of these, it's hard to imagine any diamond price move as anything other than manipulation:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

http://www.attn.com/stories/2298/engagement-ring-history-diamonds?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=rerun1&utm_campaign=reruns
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
Yes, I was aware that the "demand" for diamonds, especially for engagement rings in the USA, has been carefully cultivated with superior marketing strategies.

I've bought two diamonds for my wife, but never gave up a good motorcycle to do it. I am impressed with what absolutely must be true love, MK. No doubt about it.

The first diamond was an el cheapo bought on credit by a college senior with zero bucks. It was lost from her ring the night my son was born, and never found.

I eventually bought her an "upgrade", which fortunately, she does not wear most of the time, because those things are easy to lose out of their set. I expect it might be worth something, but not what i paid for it. My childhood best friend was a gemologist, and a jeweler. He used to talk about how jewelers mark up merchandise. They have a term they call "keystone" which is code for 100% mark-up, and double keystone and even triple keystone is BAU in the jewelry biz.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 12:24:31 PM »
So you consider diamonds an asset? I've always viewed them similar to gold, they might lose value just as badly as gold has, measured in fiat,

I use the term asset loosely in this case. Diamonds are not an asset class that interests me. The real asset class in diamonds is far beyond my means. I know zip about diamonds. At least gold is gold is gold.

Any asset can gain or lose value in relation to another. That's normal and usually cyclical.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 02:10:38 PM »
Yes, I was aware that the "demand" for diamonds, especially for engagement rings in the USA, has been carefully cultivated with superior marketing strategies.

I've bought two diamonds for my wife, but never gave up a good motorcycle to do it.

Yup. A good one. But it was an engagement ring, and women do so occasionally like shiny stuff.

Quote from: Eddie
I am impressed with what absolutely must be true love, MK. No doubt about it.

Indeed.

The first diamond was an el cheapo bought on credit by a college senior with zero bucks. It was lost from her ring the night my son was born, and never found.

Better story than mine. My wife lost her centerstone ( my motorcycle!!) while grocery shopping, maybe 5 years ago. It cost far more to replace than it did originally, but of course, it wasn't the same size anymore either.  :icon_sunny:

I eventually bought her an "upgrade", which fortunately, she does not wear most of the time, because those things are easy to lose out of their set.

Yup. My wife wears hers. All over the place. Guess what that means when this one goes walkabout?

I expect it might be worth something, but not what i paid for it. My childhood best friend was a gemologist, and a jeweler. He used to talk about how jewelers mark up merchandise. They have a term they call "keystone" which is code for 100% mark-up, and double keystone and even triple keystone is BAU in the jewelry biz.

Always figured that, if only because of the discounts available when they REALLY want to sell you something.
-Dalai Lama

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »

So you consider diamonds an asset? I've always viewed them similar to gold, they might lose value just as badly as gold has, measured in fiat, certainly I've owned diamonds before, once upon a time I sold motorcycles to buy them for the wife. Don't recall losing much on them when I traded one for another, or making anything above what I paid, so sounds like a gold type investment model to a simple investor such as myself.

As far as fuel prices, I am so seriously irritated at my new investment in yet another machine that uses no gasoline and I can't even appreciate the fuel price drop. I need a monster truck to go vaporize hundreds of gallons so I can appreciate the savings as the price of fuel goes down. Sounds ridiculous, and is, but for as long as I've been mostly impervious to gasoline prices, I've been irritated when the price is low and everyone else begins combusting cheap fuel and I can't.

This clearly shows what an ignoranimous you really are moriarty.
Gold is a publicly traded commodity & diamonds are a flawed asset.
Yet you lump them together as if they were differently colored jelly beans.
And you've submitted white papers for peer review ...........
OMFG !
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »

I've bought two diamonds for my wife, but never gave up a good motorcycle to do it. I am impressed with what absolutely must be true love, MK. No doubt about it.

I eventually bought her an "upgrade", which fortunately, she does not wear most of the time, because those things are easy to lose out of their set. I expect it might be worth something, but not what i paid for it. My childhood best friend was a gemologist, and a jeweler. He used to talk about how jewelers mark up merchandise. They have a term they call "keystone" which is code for 100% mark-up, and double keystone and even triple keystone is BAU in the jewelry biz.

Bezel set can come off and lets the diamond fall out,.. claw set it shouldnt happen.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »

OMFG !

Yes many people find when they take jewellery to pawn shops the gems are worth nothing or at most 20% of what they paid for them,  but the gold is valued by the weight  and follows the trading value up and down.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »

Admittedly, it is difficult being world class in many arenas, and a man has to know his limitations. When it comes to investing, the only thing that to me that has ever made sense are results. So I tend to just stick with what works. For me of course, I understand that others who know how to play a different game are perfectly capable of doing so.

Quote from: azozeo

A reasonable statement. But it isn't as though I use either as modern investment tools, or plan on doing so. They don't deliver the kind of results I require.

Sure. But feel free to make a mint yourself off of doing….something….with them.

OMFG !

Submitted? I've got more than 100 pubs with my name on them, more domestic than international, but I don't even know what a "white paper" is, can't say I have a credit for even one.
-Dalai Lama

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
Admittedly, it is difficult being world class in many arenas, and a man has to know his limitations. When it comes to investing, the only thing that to me that has ever made sense are results. So I tend to just stick with what works. For me of course, I understand that others who know how to play a different game are perfectly capable of doing so.

You can be one funny hot shit at times Mking.  :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh:

A reasonable statement. But it isn't as though I use either as modern investment tools, or plan on doing so. They don't deliver the kind of results I require

Timing is everything, Buy low, sell high.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »

A reasonable statement. But it isn't as though I use either as modern investment tools, or plan on doing so. They don't deliver the kind of results I require

I just posted another derivative market for moriarty to trade within.
Weather derivatives......
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »

I just posted another derivative market for moriarty to trade within.
Weather derivatives......

He is a one trick pony AZ.

A master in stocks only, buys the indexes after they crash.

Like he says, "It's difficult being world class in too many areas."  ;D ;D