AuthorTopic: COLLAPSE.GLOBAL  (Read 1282 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
COLLAPSE.GLOBAL
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »
We are now working on a new GLOBAL COLLAPSE portal.

The new URL is http://collapse.global

Currently I have the new URL pointed at the Diner Blog.  However, we hope to have a sparkly new Portal to point this URL at within a couple of weeks.

Code Jockeys are in the saddle.

It will be your #1 Source for Collapse Information.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: COLLAPSE.GLOBAL
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »
I now have up a Temporary Collapse Network Portal at the http://collapse.global URL.

For right now, it just provides Links to various Diner sites.  It loads fast, and provides a simple way to get to all your favorite Diner websites.  It will eventually also provide a portal to many other Collapse websites around the net, and will provide a Blogging platform for new bloggers as well.

I met with Code Jockey extraordinaire BBL today to plan for the Custom site.  It will have a collapse storefront where the kollapsniks can buy preps, various membership levels, file sharing and photo sharing for members etc.

The biggest Bonus right now is when telling friends about the Diner, you can now hand off a much more "respectable" and easily remembered URL, collapse.global:icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »
I now have a second page of Icons & Links up on the Temp Portal at http://collapse.global

It looks GREAT on my Phone!  :icon_sunny:

Makes it much easier to navigate to various areas of the Diner for the Web Clueless.

Until we can get the Custom Site up, this is not too bad.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
I have further improved the http://collapse.global portal.  :icon_sunny:

It is ALL ICON now to begin with.

Next, most of the links will bring you to RSS Feeds rather than the pages with all the bling on them.  So the Portal loads fast, and then the links load fast too.  It's only if you work through to the 3rd level that you may get slower load times.  I will be splitting off our Drought and Water related threads from the Environment Board to a new Water & Drought Board so I have an RSS Feed for that topic.

The Icons bring you to all your favorite tables on the Diner, Energy, Environment, Economics etc, plus a new page developed by Palloy with some of our cross posting bloggers Networked Blogs.  This will be improved on and developed over time as well.

BBL will be working on a more comprehensive portal moving down the road.

The new Portal makes it very EZ to check the latest in Doom on your Stupid Phone.  You get snippets with the latest articles and posting in various areas, and then can click to them if you want to on the SP, or come back to them later on your laptop when you have time out of your busy Prepping schedule.

Feedback on further improvements is :hi:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »
OK, problem already identified.

While the RSS Feeds work fine on the Laptop, the Stupid Phone doesn't recognize the formatting, and I tried 2 different browsers on this one.

I may have to go back to links to the regular pages until the Code Jockeys can figure out a solution to this problem.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
COLLAPSE.GLOBAL: Newz Channel Portal
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »
I have now created a Portal Page for the Diner Newz Channels!  :icon_sunny:

I get a Bullwinkle Icon

Surly gets a Groucho Marx Icon

Knarf gets a Buddhist Monk Icon

AG gets a Renewable Energy Icon

GO gets a Gold Bars Icon

All the Icons connect to the RSS Feeds for the Newz Forums.

Currently not working well on Android Phones, but work fine on your laptop (at least on mine they are working good).

Hopefully will fix the Android problem soon.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
COLLAPSE.GLOBAL: Navigating Collapse
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
OK!  :icon_sunny:

I have now completed another Icon Page to bring you links to all your favorite Collapse Blogs via Icons on http://collapse.global. Instead of the Blog Icon bringing you straight to the Diner Blog, it now givs you a Selection of our Cross Posting Bloggers, with new Icons for each one!

On the first page of the current decision tree, besides the Diner you have Icons for Economic Undertow, Resource Crisis, Our Finite World, Daily Impact,  Peak Surfer & r/collapse!  I'll make another page linked from the More Icon later!  Lower level of less important Blogs like Clusterfuck Nation and The Archdruid Report, etc.  LOL. Only the BEST Blogs go on the top level page!  ROFLMAOPIMP.

This is something of a Bitch to set up, because the text editor on the WP site does not work right.  So I have to work offsite, then copy/paste my HTML.  Pain in the ass.  Let me know what problems you have in Navigation, I will try to fix.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: COLLAPSE.GLOBAL: Navigating Collapse
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 01:49:14 AM »

I have now completed another Icon Page to bring you links to all your favorite Collapse Blogs via Icons on http://collapse.global. Instead of the Blog Icon bringing you straight to the Diner Blog, it now givs you a Selection of our Cross Posting Bloggers, with new Icons for each one!

On the first page of the current decision tree, besides the Diner you have Icons for Economic Undertow, Resource Crisis, Our Finite World, Daily Impact,  Peak Surfer & r/collapse!  I'll make another page linked from the More Icon later!  Lower level of less important Blogs like Clusterfuck Nation and The Archdruid Report, etc.  LOL. Only the BEST Blogs go on the top level page!  ROFLMAOPIMP.

This is something of a Bitch to set up, because the text editor on the WP site does not work right.  So I have to work offsite, then copy/paste my HTML.  Pain in the ass.  Let me know what problems you have in Navigation, I will try to fix.

RE

I would suggest text labels under the icons.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: COLLAPSE.GLOBAL: Navigating Collapse
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 03:22:36 AM »

RE

I would suggest text labels under the icons.

I had text labels but got rid of them for the cleaner look.  When you mouse over you get the url of the link in text anyway.  Also, after you have used it once, you know where the link goes.  Who would not know instantly that a Water Faucet was the Water Forum or a bunch of Snapshots was the Photo page?

Anyhow, this is just temporary.  We are looking at Custom Themes for a new fully fledged Portal.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN