AuthorTopic: Someday Soon  (Read 7141 times)

Offline umaperegrina

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
Someday Soon
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
I seem to be straying quite a bit from the focus of this post, but El G’s link to “2012: Doomsday or Dawning of a New Age” got me thinking about an essay I first discovered nearly 20 years ago.

The essay is “Someday Soon” from a book by Paula Gunn Allen, Grandmothers of the Light: A Medicine Woman’s Sourcebook.  It tells the story of Crystal Woman, one of the immortals of the Maya, and the prophecy of a new world to begin in 2012.  I found the story haunting when I first read it, and have returned to it over the years as a kind of touchstone of wisdom and wonder.

The story begins thus:
“Long ago, Crystal Woman.  Before the human beings, before the five-fingered beings.  She standing there in the southwest.  In the southeast standing.  In the mountains on the edge of the world, before the world became as we know it, there she stood. There she waited for the time to be ripe.

“She was a priestess, a shaman, a medicine woman.  She was an adept trained in the seven arts and the thirteen ways.  In the ways of the immortals one of whom she was.  It was in the time of the end, of the transformation from this, that she was, to another thing.  It was their work, the work of the thirteen of them, to become all that was possible to know. It was their work, the work of the thirteen of them, to become all that was possible to become, to know all it was possible to know.  To put that knowledge into their being-bodies.  To infuse their cell and bone with all they knew. . . . “

The story goes on to tell how the 13 wise ones became the holders of all knowledge, how they infused all wisdom into their bones – how they “danced and chanted, chanted and danced [and] entered the heart of heaven, the heart of earth, the greenness of the fire that flickers between this world and the other one” - how they drew the land around them and lay down in sacrifice, “abstracting their being, their consciousness, from their flesh” and “entered the world that surrounds this world, the world that interpenetrates this world.”

What they left behind became stone, which was discovered by the people, who kept and made sacred the crystallized skull of the Crystal Woman.  Gunn Allen talks of visiting the home of the Crystal Woman and channeling the story of how she became.

It’s this story which has been my companion for the last two decades that has made me a bit skeptical of the stories of doom and destruction that have been linked to the winter solstice of this year. I’ve been thinking that they’re all wrong, that they’ve misread the prophecy.  I see, though, by reading the interview with Alberto Villoldo, that I’ve misread the prophecy, that I have only viewed the prophecy through the filter of my own desires and (more importantly) fears and perhaps I should shift my perspective to that of Mother Earth and the 13 wise women. I still find the message to be one of hope, however:
 “It is said that at the time of the beginning, the Goddess will return in the fullness of her being.  It is said that the Mother of All and Everything, the Grandmother of the Sun and the Dawn, will return to her children and with her will come harmony, peace, and the healing of the world.  It is said that time is coming.  Soon.

Offline umaperegrina

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
Re: Someday Soon
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »
In a bit of interesting synchronicity, Veritas radio (www.veritas.com) has as its weekly radio interview, Joshua Shapiro and a discussion of Mayan Crystal Skulls. The synopsis:

According to Joshua Shapiro, crystal skulls are believed to be a form of computer which are able to record energy and vibration that occur around them. The skull will pictorially replay all events or images of the people who have come into contact with them and contain the history of our world. The Crystal Skulls are considered to be one of the world's greatest mysteries. We discuss their mystical properties, experiences that people have had with them, their connection with the UFOs and many theories about their purpose and how they were made.

Offline el Gallinazo

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Someday Soon
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
Hi Umaperegrina

Really nice to see you posting on this site. 

I just tried to listen to the Joshua Shapiro interview on crystal skulls on Veritas Radio, and though I am a subscriber to Veritas and entitled to the full two hours, I couldn't quite make it through the first.  He appears to be a pleasant enough guy and truthful in his own way, but his reality has nothing to do with mine.  There is no intersection.  His "knowledge" is simply his impressions which could well be only his fantasies.

I respect real Shamans greatly and pay close attention to what they say.  First, they go through years of initiation and practice, some of it quite harrowing and chilling.  I remember reading of one school in Siberia, where the word itself first originated, that had an initiation where a trainer would cut two holes in the ice of a frozen lake a hundred odd feet apart, and the initiate had to dive into one, and hopefully come out the other.  Talk about flunking an exam.

The other things that Shamans had to do was to prove value to their clan.  It wasn't enough to luxuriate in a nice warm fantasy about a herd of caribou 30 miles away.  If the hunters of the clan hauled ass over a mountain to get there and there were no caribou to be found, that particular shaman at best would lose serious status.  When a Shaman would talk to others of the nature of things in alternate realities where your typical sheeple clansman could not follow, to be taken seriously, he would have had to show a lot of serious mojo in the very practical here and now.  Shapiro on the other hand can spout off his subjective impressions about his crystal skulls, some of which sort of made me squirm (he refers to the two he owns as his children and treats them as such) to his heart's content and no one is around to evaluate their usefulness or "reality."