AuthorTopic: Mud Flood  (Read 31895 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Mud Flood
« Reply #270 on: December 09, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »

An Iron Age shield that was discovered in Yorkshire, England has been called “the most important British Celtic art object of the millennium”. The shield was found in a “warrior grave” that was unearthed in Pocklington last year at a housing development site called “The Mile”.

The face of the 30-inch bronze shield (pictures can be seen here) contained swirling and asymmetrical patterns along with a central raised boss. In fact, the swirling pattern was quite common in early Celtic art and the “La Tène” culture that inhabited Europe from approximately 450-1 B.C. Additionally, it had a puncture hole that would have been made by a sword and there was evidence of repair work done to the shield.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage/iron-age-shield-found-in-pocklington-is-one-of-most-important-ancient-finds-this-millennium-1-10137418

Terrific find. Great pic in the original!
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 09, 2019, 04:30:12 PM »

An Iron Age shield that was discovered in Yorkshire, England has been called “the most important British Celtic art object of the millennium”. The shield was found in a “warrior grave” that was unearthed in Pocklington last year at a housing development site called “The Mile”.

The face of the 30-inch bronze shield (pictures can be seen here) contained swirling and asymmetrical patterns along with a central raised boss. In fact, the swirling pattern was quite common in early Celtic art and the “La Tène” culture that inhabited Europe from approximately 450-1 B.C. Additionally, it had a puncture hole that would have been made by a sword and there was evidence of repair work done to the shield.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage/iron-age-shield-found-in-pocklington-is-one-of-most-important-ancient-finds-this-millennium-1-10137418

Terrific find. Great pic in the original!

Thanks Bro......

Nice old world craftsmanship to be sure.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 14, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »
Melbourne Aus circa 1910 video footage.

Free energy trolleys, power poles with no cables, magnificent old world architecture & "horse & wagon people"  :icon_scratch:

https://archive.org/details/MarvellousMelbourne
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 14, 2019, 05:53:33 PM »
Dozens of ‘Extinct’ Creatures Found Alive in ‘Lost City’ Deep Within Rainforest

The scientists were “shocked” by what they discovered.

A specialized team of conservation scientists has found what appears to be a hidden oasis deep in the rainforest of Honduras that’s teeming with dozens of rare and endangered creatures.

The remote settlement, known as the “Lost City of the Monkey God” or “White City” and located in the Mosquitia rainforest, is a stunning example of the biodiversity that was once common across the tropics and rainforests in the region. The rainforest is home to hundreds of species of bats, butterflies and reptiles, the Independentreports.

The “ecological SWAT team” from Conservation International’s Rapid Assessment Program (RAP) conducted their three-week expedition in 2017 after ancient ruins were discovered in the rainforest, which remains one of the least-explored areas of the region. Their full report on the expedition and its dizzying array of findings was only published this week.

The report details how the pristine ecosystem is filled with a number of rare and unique species, including those previously believed to be extinct.

This has included the False Tree Coral Snake, the pale-faced bat, and a tiger beetle which many had thought was already extinct. 22 species were also recorded whose presence in Honduras had previously been unknown, including the endangered Great Green Macaw and a livebearing fish that scientists have only now discovered.

https://themindunleashed.com/2019/06/extinct-creatures-found-alive-lost-city.html

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pr81CWx7TY0&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Pr81CWx7TY0&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2020, 01:33:57 PM »

The Best Board Games of the Ancient World

Long before Settlers of Catan, Scrabble and Risk won legions of fans, actual Roman legions passed the time by playing Ludus Latrunculorum, a strategic showdown whose Latin name translates loosely to “Game of Mercenaries.” In northwest Europe, meanwhile, the Viking game Hnefatafl popped up in such far-flung locales as Scotland, Norway and Iceland. Farther south, the ancient Egyptian games of Senet and Mehen dominated. To the east in India, Chaturanga emerged as a precursor to modern chess. And 5,000 years ago, in what is now southeast Turkey, a group of Bronze Age humans created an elaborate set of sculpted stones hailed as the world’s oldest gaming pieces upon their discovery in 2013. From Go to backgammon, Nine Men’s Morris and mancala, these were the cutthroat, quirky and surprisingly spiritual board games of the ancient world.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/best-board-games-ancient-world-180974094/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Grand Unified Theory of Rogue Waves
« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2020, 11:18:03 AM »
Rogue waves — enigmatic giants of the sea — were thought to be caused by two different mechanisms. But a new idea that borrows from the hinterlands of probability theory has the potential to predict them all.

Rogue waves long lived only as sailor lore. Hard evidence of their existence has come only in the past few decades.

Andreas Rocha for Quanta Magazine
Charlie Wood

Contributing Writer

February 5, 2020

Two weeks before Christmas in 1978, the cargo ship MS München encountered a fierce storm in the North Atlantic. Although the captain couldn’t evade it, the forecasted waves and winds should have posed no threat to the 261-meter-long ship. At midnight, just three hours earlier, an operator had radioed out to a cruise ship, “Have a good trip and see you soon.” Now came a distress call from the München — then silence. The West German vessel and its 28-person crew vanished, leaving behind just four lifeboats, three shipping containers, and a handful of flotation devices.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-grand-unified-theory-of-rogue-waves-20200205/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »

'Ghost' DNA In West Africans Complicates Story Of Human Origins

About 50,000 years ago, ancient humans in what is now West Africa apparently procreated with another group of ancient humans that scientists didn't know existed.

There aren't any bones or ancient DNA to prove it, but researchers say the evidence is in the genes of modern West Africans. They analyzed genetic material from hundreds of people from Nigeria and Sierra Leone and found signals of what they call "ghost" DNA from an unknown ancestor.

Our own species — Homo sapiens — lived alongside other groups that split off from the same genetic family tree at different times. And there's plenty of evidence from other parts of the world that early humans had sex with other hominins, like Neanderthals.

That's why Neanderthal genes are present in humans today, in people of European and Asian descent. Homo sapiens also mated with another group, the Denisovans, and those genes are found in people from Oceania.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/12/805237120/ghost-dna-in-west-africans-complicates-story-of-human-origins?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2020, 10:37:24 AM »

About 50,000 years ago, ancient humans in what is now West Africa apparently procreated with another group of ancient humans that scientists didn't know existed.

There aren't any bones or ancient DNA to prove it, but researchers say the evidence is in the genes of modern West Africans. They analyzed genetic material from hundreds of people from Nigeria and Sierra Leone and found signals of what they call "ghost" DNA from an unknown ancestor.

Our own species — Homo sapiens — lived alongside other groups that split off from the same genetic family tree at different times. And there's plenty of evidence from other parts of the world that early humans had sex with other hominins, like Neanderthals.

That's why Neanderthal genes are present in humans today, in people of European and Asian descent. Homo sapiens also mated with another group, the Denisovans, and those genes are found in people from Oceania.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/12/805237120/ghost-dna-in-west-africans-complicates-story-of-human-origins?utm_source=pocket-newtab

So when I did DNA testing, I found out I had more Neanderthal variants than 94% of people tested by 23 and me...and later, one of my girl cousins had the test...and she had even more....she turned out to be one of the highest Neanderthal DNA humans they'd ever tested....like more than 96% of test subjects.

And she was always a VERY attractive woman.

I think humans mated with Neanderthals because the women were hot, and liked to get it on more than those snotty human women.

Just a working hypothesis......        ;D
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2020, 11:18:15 AM »

So when I did DNA testing, I found out I had more Neanderthal variants than 94% of people tested by 23 and me...and later, one of my girl cousins had the test...and she had even more....she turned out to be one of the highest Neanderthal DNA humans they'd ever tested....like more than 96% of test subjects.

And she was always a VERY attractive woman.

I think humans mated with Neanderthals because the women were hot, and liked to get it on more than those snotty human women.

Just a working hypothesis......        ;D

Big Hair n' miniskirt skins right ?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nd-kdrF6rxk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Nd-kdrF6rxk&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2020, 04:45:28 PM »

In this short exploration we focus on Tartaria and the Mud Flood. We also examine some evidence at the Salt Lake City Temple, a Wise Up video examining the Ohio mounds, some Pre Reset Technology, and finally some San Francisco fort pics that a viewer sent me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BpRnoC1gi3k&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BpRnoC1gi3k&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »
Long Lost Maya Kingdom Unearthed On Mexican Cattle Ranch

By Lawrence Goodman / Brandeis University

Associate professor of  anthropology Charles Golden  and his colleagues have found the long-lost capital of an ancient Maya kingdom in the backyard of a Mexican cattle rancher.

Golden, in collaboration with Brown University bioarchaeologist  Andrew Scherer  and a team of researchers from Mexico, Canada and the United States, began excavating the site in June 2018.

Among their findings is a trove of Maya monuments, one of which has an important inscription describing rituals, battles, a mythical water serpent and the dance of a rain god. They’ve also found remnants of pyramids, a royal palace and ball court.

Cows grazed while the scientists worked. Ensuring the animals didn’t trample the excavation, fall into deep pits, or soil the working area with dung proved a daily challenge.

Golden and his fellow researchers believe the archaeological site, named Lacanja Tzeltal for the nearby modern community, was the capital of the Sak Tz'i' kingdom, located in what is today the state of Chiapas in southeastern Mexico. It was likely first settled by 750 BC and then occupied for over 1,000 years.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/maya-kingdom-0013407

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »

A Mysterious 25,000-Year-Old Structure Built of the Bones of 60 Mammoths

jaw-dropping example of Ice Age architecture has been unearthed on Russia’s forest steppe: a huge, circular structure built with the bones of at least 60 woolly mammoths. But exactly why hunter-gatherers enduring the frigid realities of life 25,000 years ago would construct the 40-foot diameter building is a fascinating question.

“Clearly a lot of time and effort went into building this structure so it was obviously important to the people that made it for some reason,” says Alexander Pryor, an archaeologist at the University of Exeter (U.K.). He is the lead author of a new study published this week in the journal Antiquity describing the find at Kostenki, a place where many important Paleolithic sites lie clustered around the Don River.

The ancient builders did leave some clues. Fires once burned within the structure and food scraps, including vegetables, remain. Several pits containing mammoth bones lie just outside of the bone circle and may suggest food storage. “You obviously get a lot of meat from a mammoth,” Pryor said, “so the idea that there were food processing and food storage activities going on at the site is something that we want to investigate more.”

To some, though, the grandeur of the structure suggests more than practical significance. “People have also speculated a lot about a likely ritual element to this and it’s really hard to say what that might have been,” Pryor adds. “Ritual is embedded in human lives in all sorts of ways. The fact they might have designed a structure of this type as part of both their ritual and their sustenance activities is very reasonable.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/60-mammoths-house-russia-180974426/?utm_source=pocket-newtab