AuthorTopic: The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894  (Read 2047 times)

Offline alan2102

• Contrarian
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894
« on: September 09, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »
Remember the Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894?

Confirmed doomers SHOULD remember it! It was a TRUE CRISIS, a veritable EXISTENTIAL CRISIS, which THREATENED THE VERY SURVIVAL OF INDUSTRIAL CIVILIZATION!  Tens of thousands of horses were in every big city, and they each produced many kilos of manure, every day. The accumulation of manure was an IMPOSSIBLE problem. Whole cities were sinking into fetid mire, daily. The manure produced a terrible STENCH, was a breeding ground for insects and DISEASE, resulted in POISONED WATER, and was generally an ENVIRONMENTAL DISASTER. And there was NO SOLUTION.  Urban-industrial civilization was on an utterly UNSUSTAINABLE trajectory, heading toward permanent COLLAPSE.

http://bytesdaily.blogspot.com/2011/07/great-horse-manure-crisis-of-1894.html
Writing in the Times of London in 1894, one writer estimated that in 50 years every street in London would be buried under nine feet of manure. It seemed that The End of Civilisation As We Know It would be brought about, not by a meteor strike, global sickness or warfare, but by an excess of manure, by the urban equine.
snip
In 1898 the first international urban planning conference convened in New York.  One topic dominated discussion:  manure.  Cities all over the world, including Sydney, were experiencing the same problem. Unable to see any solution to the manure crisis, the delegates abandoned the conference after three days instead of the scheduled ten days.

Imagine that! On the then-current trajectory, in a few decades cities would be buried under NINE FEET OF MANURE!  That was IT, folks; the END. Nothing left to do but retreat to the hills, learn survival gardening, stockpile ammo, that sort of thing.

The situation was truly dire and unendurable:

http://www.banhdc.org/archives/ch-hist-19711000.html
  urban sanitation departments during the nineteenth century were notoriously inefficient. Vexed by graft and corruption, they were staffed by “old and indigent men,” “prisoners who don’t like to work,” and “persons on relief.”   Manure collected into unattended piles by the street cleaners bred huge numbers of flies and created “pestilential vapours.” Offal was sometimes carried from wealthy residential neighborhoods and dumped in poor neighborhoods, where it was left to rot. Streets turned into virtual cesspools when it rained, and long-skirted ladies suffered the  indignity of trailing their hems in liquefied manure. ... Yet dry weather was no great improvement, for then there were complaints of the “pulverized horse dung” that blew into people’s faces and the windows of their homes, and over the outdoor displays of merchants’ wares. The coming of paved streets accelerated  this problem, as wheels and hoofs ground the sun-dried manure against the hard surfaces and amplified the amount of dust. 

Horrid!

Here's how it looked in New York, as horses left 2.5 million pounds of manure on the streets every single day:

Interesting, is it not, that trajectories that cannot be sustained are not sustained. Humans adapt, change, invent new stuff, are forced by circumstances to do things differently, roll with the punches. They just keep plodding on and on, facing one impossible challenge after another, solving one unsolvable problem after another. Maybe someday they will stop doing this, and instead stand by idly and dumbly -- as though paralyzed -- as everything around them collapses into chaos and ruin. And maybe that day is today! Maybe humans of this generation will, unlike all previous generations, give up and fail to act on their own behalf as new challenges arise.  Possible. But don't count on it.

The following is Alan2102's sincere public service announcement to whoever is lurking out there, silently reading:
THIS WHOLE DOOM/COLLAPSE/DIEOFF THING IS A BIG WASTE OF TIME, and a waste of your good life. I speak from extensive experience over 20 years. I say to you: STOP RIGHT NOW. TURN BACK. You won't regret it. Even if some doomer ideas turn out to be right (which is unlikely), it is a waste of time, since there is nothing you can do about it. If you keep reading this shit, you WILL regret it when you realize, as I did, how it has contributed virtually NOTHING of any value to you or the people and things that you care about. It is a black hole, sucking-in good energy and giving nothing in return.  I long to retrieve the YEARS that I frittered-away studying this stuff, but sadly, those years are gone for good -- utterly wasted.  It is worse than a waste: it is depressogenic, and it often destroys good relationships.  Mark my words, friend. Turn back now. Continue on with your life, just as it was, which I assure you is BETTER than this doomer crap! It would be sinful to waste your life on this.  Sincerely, alan2102

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:11:03 PM by alan2102 »

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »
Remember the Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894?

Confirmed doomers SHOULD remember it! It was a TRUE CRISIS, a veritable EXISTENTIAL CRISIS, which THREATENED THE VERY SURVIVAL OF INDUSTRIAL CIVILIZATION!  Tens of thousands of horses were in every big city, and they each produced many kilos of manure, every day. The accumulation of manure was an IMPOSSIBLE problem. Whole cities were sinking into fetid mire, daily. The manure produced a terrible STENCH, was a breeding ground for insects and DISEASE, resulted in POISONED WATER, and was generally an ENVIRONMENTAL DISASTER. And there was NO SOLUTION.  Urban-industrial civilization was on an utterly UNSUSTAINABLE trajectory, heading toward permanent COLLAPSE.

http://bytesdaily.blogspot.com/2011/07/great-horse-manure-crisis-of-1894.html
Writing in the Times of London in 1894, one writer estimated that in 50 years every street in London would be buried under nine feet of manure. It seemed that The End of Civilisation As We Know It would be brought about, not by a meteor strike, global sickness or warfare, but by an excess of manure, by the urban equine.
snip
In 1898 the first international urban planning conference convened in New York.  One topic dominated discussion:  manure.  Cities all over the world, including Sydney, were experiencing the same problem. Unable to see any solution to the manure crisis, the delegates abandoned the conference after three days instead of the scheduled ten days.

Imagine that! On the then-current trajectory, in a few decades cities would be buried under NINE FEET OF MANURE!  That was IT, folks; the END. Nothing left to do but retreat to the hills, learn survival gardening, stockpile ammo, that sort of thing.

The situation was truly dire and unendurable:

http://www.banhdc.org/archives/ch-hist-19711000.html
  urban sanitation departments during the nineteenth century were notoriously inefficient. Vexed by graft and corruption, they were staffed by “old and indigent men,” “prisoners who don’t like to work,” and “persons on relief.”   Manure collected into unattended piles by the street cleaners bred huge numbers of flies and created “pestilential vapours.” Offal was sometimes carried from wealthy residential neighborhoods and dumped in poor neighborhoods, where it was left to rot. Streets turned into virtual cesspools when it rained, and long-skirted ladies suffered the  indignity of trailing their hems in liquefied manure. ... Yet dry weather was no great improvement, for then there were complaints of the “pulverized horse dung” that blew into people’s faces and the windows of their homes, and over the outdoor displays of merchants’ wares. The coming of paved streets accelerated  this problem, as wheels and hoofs ground the sun-dried manure against the hard surfaces and amplified the amount of dust. 
I am very well aware of it (I can't say I remember it as I was not there lol).  I wonder, though, if there were no representatives from Paris, or if they were poorly informed, because the maraîchères of Paris has solved that problem brilliantly.  In fact, at the time, the city of Paris was an exporter of produce.

Alas, the rise of the automobile killed that way of life, but it has descendants in such things as John Jeavons Bio-Intensive Gardening.
Interesting, is it not, that trajectories that cannot be sustained are not sustained. Humans adapt, change, invent new stuff, are forced by circumstances to do things differently, roll with the punches. They just keep plodding on and on, facing one impossible challenge after another, solving one unsolvable problem after another. Maybe someday they will stop doing this, and instead stand by idly and dumbly -- as though paralyzed -- as everything around them collapses into chaos and ruin. And maybe that day is today! Maybe humans of this generation will, unlike all previous generations, give up and fail to act on their own behalf as new challenges arise.  Possible. But don't count on it.
I hope to God you're right!  But I'm not counting on it.  Because you are WAY overgeneralizing when you say ALL previous generations have met their challenges.  Just google "lost civilizations" and see how many hits you get.

But that's not the real point.  We're not talking about something coming out of the clear blue sky (well, okay, most of us aren't, sorry AZ), almost all of the problems we face are ones we've created.  And that means that they are ones that we CAN solve -- just not necessarily in a way we find acceptable.  (For example, people will starve to death because they refuse to eat something perfectly edible, such as bugs.)

The only reason I worry about such things as are discussed here are to find solutions and ways to get them implemented.  Indeed, if people realized the true value of biochar, I could foresee in 100 years climate scientists being alarmed at the advancing glaciers from the plummeting carbon dioxide levels, and discussing ways of releasing abiotic sources of carbon to reverse the damage caused by the all-powerful biochar industry.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH     ;D     :icon_sunny:
If you're 1 step ahead of the crowd, you're considered
a genius.

If you're 2 steps ahead of the crowd, you're considered
a lunatic.

Offline alan2102

• Contrarian
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »
you are WAY overgeneralizing when you say ALL previous generations have met their challenges.  Just google "lost civilizations" and see how many hits you get.

I meant all previous generations of our current global civilization, starting circa 1500 CE, and especially our modern global industrial civilization, starting circa 1800.

Empires - political entities - have usually collapsed, and I expect that to continue. I expect the U.S. empire to collapse. And later, the Chinese empire, if they go the empire route. But this modern global  industrial civilization, as a whole, will not collapse. Barring a major black swan (asteroid hits earth, etc.).

if people realized the true value of biochar, I could foresee in 100 years climate scientists being alarmed at the advancing glaciers from the plummeting carbon dioxide levels, and discussing ways of releasing abiotic sources of carbon to reverse the damage caused by the all-powerful biochar industry.

Three cheers for biochar! I suggest you devote all your attention to biochar, and forget about DD.

The following is Alan2102's sincere public service announcement to whoever is lurking out there, silently reading:
THIS WHOLE DOOM/COLLAPSE/DIEOFF THING IS A BIG WASTE OF TIME, and a waste of your good life. I speak from extensive experience over 20 years. I say to you: STOP RIGHT NOW. TURN BACK. You won't regret it. Even if some doomer ideas turn out to be right (which is unlikely), it is a waste of time, since there is nothing you can do about it. If you keep reading this shit, you WILL regret it when you realize, as I did, how it has contributed virtually NOTHING of any value to you or the people and things that you care about. It is a black hole, sucking-in good energy and giving nothing in return.  I long to retrieve the YEARS that I frittered-away studying this stuff, but sadly, those years are gone for good -- utterly wasted.  It is worse than a waste: it is depressogenic, and it often destroys good relationships.  Mark my words, friend. Turn back now. Continue on with your life, just as it was, which I assure you is BETTER than this doomer crap! It would be sinful to waste your life on this.  Sincerely, alan2102