AuthorTopic: Survey: Which Currency Collapses First? Results: The Refugee Crisis  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Survey: Which Currency Collapses First? Results: The Refugee Crisis
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
It's really hard to imagine what will be tried once this currency regime collapses.  Without the energy to back it up, no money holds any value.  I suppose in local areas whoever can control the food supply will be able to issue some sort of local scrip on it.  However, controlling said local food supply in the absence of gas to fill Hummers with will be a daunting task.

I strongly feel that there is enough energy left to prevent a return to medieval living anytime soon (next 20 years, at least).

I look for a bank collapse of epic proportions, which will be stick-saved by the IMF instead of the Fed. Another major bailout, "whatever it takes". With the SDR as the means to do such a bailout. What's bigger than a trillion? A quadrillion?

This will buy some time, not sure how much. Dollars will be worth much less than now in terms of foreign currencies, but a ten spot will still buy a Starbucks...just not a Grande.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 02:04:16 PM »
RE says controlling large swaths of land on which food is grown will become very difficult especially without enough oil. Eddie says the energy will be enough but how much food u can purchase with your money a lot less. The take out coffee is an excellent barometer to cite. Thats one i keep an eye on because for now i see in every city, even small towns people still buying the coffees and starbucks type places doing well enough in biz because the change in your pocket buys it. Also psychologically the more u spend on everything else the smaller the 2, 3, 4, 5 bucks the coffee costs seems on the scale.

The pressure of rising food price affects more expensive things and shows up in less sales at eg Sears and Target. When people decide they better make a cup of instant at home or the office and starbucks start shutting, then the consumer economy is about to go Into severe contraction and collapse imo.

RE can seem overly pessimist  because he says this or that will happen but the problem is he is talking about 3 steps ahead not the next step. I agree that controlling the farmland will become impossible. But this is a problem for china and uk even while the oil is there to run vehicles, wheras RE is looking at further along. This is a nearterm not later post collapse problem that RE sees it as to me. 

For a start its relatively proximate from MENA to get to europe for a refugee who can find a few bucks. further south of the african continent is a much bigger distance and the majority of people are a lot poorer without any means of getting money to travel. Europe will be tightening up and slowing right down refugee intake also. The rapidly growing population of africans will then by necessity try and take back all that farmland that china and uk etc are counting on using.

Chinese buying up farms in eg oz and italy or french vineyard they will get their produce and exports out because theres enough to go around. The thousand years of wars on and off between france and england could do the unthinkable and resurface. Its only a short recent period of history thats been a strong alliance for them. The british pound gets its high value from god knows where, maybe somebody can tell me. Like hong kong or singapore dollar i see only a financial centre with no other industry worth talking about, but a decent military for uk. As norm pagett was saying uk is pretty full and still filling up fast. I think its getting to the point that without a lot of imports it will be overpopulated and all that  farmland in france starts looking really good since the african food supply wont materialize.

China would have an easier time taking over vietnam, malaysia, cambodia, phillipines food sources from close proximity. Dont ask what happens to everyone who is already eating it.. thats their problem will be the answer. this can all happen while theres still oil to run the tractors and tanks. The food shortage will cause conflict before the oil. Climate change is going to make the UN etc famine relief operations we are used to seeing in one or other place in the world periodically, overstretched and inadequate.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:14:08 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »
The british pound gets its high value from god knows where, maybe somebody can tell me

I think it's because of the land itself. Very choice, maybe not so much going forward, but when I visited the north of England I found myself wishing I could live there. I know, not logical. It's  a heart thing. My daughter just got her DNA analyzed. 75% Brit.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 05:25:36 PM »
It's really hard to imagine what will be tried once this currency regime collapses.  Without the energy to back it up, no money holds any value.  I suppose in local areas whoever can control the food supply will be able to issue some sort of local scrip on it.  However, controlling said local food supply in the absence of gas to fill Hummers with will be a daunting task.

I strongly feel that there is enough energy left to prevent a return to medieval living anytime soon (next 20 years, at least).

I look for a bank collapse of epic proportions, which will be stick-saved by the IMF instead of the Fed. Another major bailout, "whatever it takes". With the SDR as the means to do such a bailout. What's bigger than a trillion? A quadrillion?

This will buy some time, not sure how much. Dollars will be worth much less than now in terms of foreign currencies, but a ten spot will still buy a Starbucks...just not a Grande.

The energy might be in the ground, but without a functioning monetary system, getting it up and refined and distributed is a problem.

Also, in all likelihood Saudi will be a complete warzone inside 10 years.  Getting what oil is left there out could be problematic.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN