AuthorTopic: A Typical MSM Gold Article (That Says Nothing)  (Read 4018 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: A Typical MSM Gold Article (That Says Nothing)
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 04:53:43 PM »
One thing about holding physical. It makes options expiration day a lot less stressful. Nice to forget it exists altogether, as far as I'm concerned.

Great input GO. Thanks for fleshing out the alternative scenarios. I agree its impossible parse out with certainty, but it's nice to brainstorm. You can, to some degree at least, make a preparation. (Not that you can prep for war). A war with China would be fought on our soil, of that I'm sure. And the population would be substantially reduced.

We could kill 10 million of them and they would grin and say " Thank You" and come at us with 20 million more behind them.

Nonsense.  A Chinese Troop ship carrying even 1000 wouldn't make it out of the South China Sea before it got sent to the bottom of Davey Jones locker.  You can say the same thing for any of ours trying to make it out of Puget Sound.  There are not going to be any D-Day style invasion of Chinese Marines hitting the beaches at Malibu.

If we ever get in a hot war with the Chinese not using proxies, it will be a straight up missile contest, without even going nuclear.  Either side can simply lob missiles to destroy refineries, power plants, transformers and a few choice cities (Beijing and Washington are sure to get pounded).

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »
One thing about holding physical. It makes options expiration day a lot less stressful. Nice to forget it exists altogether, as far as I'm concerned.

Great input GO. Thanks for fleshing out the alternative scenarios. I agree its impossible parse out with certainty, but it's nice to brainstorm. You can, to some degree at least, make a preparation. (Not that you can prep for war). A war with China would be fought on our soil, of that I'm sure. And the population would be substantially reduced.

We could kill 10 million of them and they would grin and say " Thank You" and come at us with 20 million more behind them.

Nonsense.  A Chinese Troop ship carrying even 1000 wouldn't make it out of the South China Sea before it got sent to the bottom of Davey Jones locker.  You can say the same thing for any of ours trying to make it out of Puget Sound.  There are not going to be any D-Day style invasion of Chinese Marines hitting the beaches at Malibu.

If we ever get in a hot war with the Chinese not using proxies, it will be a straight up missile contest, without even going nuclear.  Either side can simply lob missiles to destroy refineries, power plants, transformers and a few choice cities (Beijing and Washington are sure to get pounded).

RE

I agree, it is a extremely unlikely scenario, my reference was to Eddies conjecture.

Ruling out a land war or invasion in other parts of the world however,  is not something I would consider out of the realm of possibility.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
A missile war can and will still be carried out on American soil. There hasn't been a war here since 1865. I am very used to peace.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »

RE

I agree, it is a extremely unlikely scenario, my reference was to Eddies conjecture.

Ruling out a land war or invasion in other parts of the world however,  is not something I would consider out of the realm of possibility.

Even a big land war is hard to fathom.  If the Chinese were to try and mass their Million Man army to invade Russia for instance, the Ruskies would simply hit the convoys with missiles also.  If the Ruskies were to try to invade Europe, NATO would hit their tanks with missiles.

Basically you're going to have proxy wars in border states until the mayhem spreads into the core countries.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 06:14:34 PM »
It could be EMP or something we've mercifully never heard of.

They have nuclear subs with missiles. How many nukes do they really need? Not that many.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
Chances are they have a smallpox weapon. War sucks.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
I think the main war will be taking down the internet.  A Hacker vs. Hacker War.

Simply taking out the internet is enough to totally destroy all banking, commerce and trade and by itself would send any industrialized nation into mayhem.  Besides that, you can take out the electric grid in the same fashion.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
I think the main war will be taking down the internet.  A Hacker vs. Hacker War.

Simply taking out the internet is enough to totally destroy all banking, commerce and trade and by itself would send any industrialized nation into mayhem.  Besides that, you can take out the electric grid in the same fashion.

RE

What is scary about that is it gives a minor country that no one thinks of as very important in a world war, the same power as the big dogs. A group of tech wizards say in a place like South Korea, or Iran could bring about doomsday with an attack on the superpowers. :'(

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 06:11:27 PM »
I was busy as hell today with work, and doing stuff for taxes too. The real 2014 filing deadline is in a couple of weeks. So I let the day go by without looking at the metals.

Boy, it didn't take long for them to let the air out that little run-up, once the options expiry was over. Gold took a dive, but silver really made a sick chart.

I can't help but think this is a great opportunity to lay on more door stops.

All the pundits say 10% of your portfolio should be in metals..maybe 20% if you're a Gold Bug. I am coming around to the notion that I need to think of a number that I think is the right number for me, and to fund that soon, rather than dollar cost averaging for the next five years. I just cannot for the life of me think that the next five years will be anything like the last five.