AuthorTopic: Agelbert's Newz Channel  (Read 1121351 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Time for Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands to Go All Green
« Reply #8100 on: October 11, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »

OCT 06, 2017

by Harvey Wasserman 

SNIPPET:

Tesla’s Musk helped green nearly the entire energy supply of American Samoa, as well as much of Hawaii’s island of Kauai. Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are far larger. But advanced collectors and battery storage systems, along with a new generation of wind turbines, are poised to quickly replace the islands’ rickety, obsolete energy supply system with a green network of storm-proof micro-grids—and a showcase for global change.

The Caribbean is also fertile ground for biofuels to power the region’s automobiles. Brazil runs a very large portion of its vehicular fleet by turning bagasse, a byproduct of growing sugar, into an alcohol-based fuel that’s far cheaper and more efficient than imported gasoline.

And the islands could use a massive influx of LED lights, along with other energy-efficient technologies to streamline demand.

But micro-gridding will be key. The islands are mountainous, with many remote villages. Most could be made self-sufficient quickly with local networks powered by rooftop panels, small wind arrays and homegrown biofuels.

Full EXCELLENT article:

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/time-puerto-rico-virgin-islands-go-green/

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Climate Apocalypse? Professor Peter Wadhams ScD, Professor of Ocean Physics
« Reply #8101 on: October 11, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »
Climate Apocalypse? 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzVMV-Yj2qo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tzVMV-Yj2qo</a>

The Big Picture RT

Published on Sep 26, 2017

Professor Peter Wadhams ScD, Professor of Ocean Physics / Head of the Polar Ocean Physics Group-Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge, UK RE: A Farewell to Ice: A Report from the Arctic. We could be just eighteen years away from a climate apocalypse...

Faith,

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Cannot be Saved
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Time for Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands to Go All Green
« Reply #8102 on: October 12, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »

OCT 06, 2017

by Harvey Wasserman 

SNIPPET:

Tesla’s Musk helped green nearly the entire energy supply of American Samoa, as well as much of Hawaii’s island of Kauai. Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are far larger. But advanced collectors and battery storage systems, along with a new generation of wind turbines, are poised to quickly replace the islands’ rickety, obsolete energy supply system with a green network of storm-proof micro-grids—and a showcase for global change.

The Caribbean is also fertile ground for biofuels to power the region’s automobiles. Brazil runs a very large portion of its vehicular fleet by turning bagasse, a byproduct of growing sugar, into an alcohol-based fuel that’s far cheaper and more efficient than imported gasoline.

And the islands could use a massive influx of LED lights, along with other energy-efficient technologies to streamline demand.

But micro-gridding will be key. The islands are mountainous, with many remote villages. Most could be made self-sufficient quickly with local networks powered by rooftop panels, small wind arrays and homegrown biofuels.

Full EXCELLENT article:

Yes, Elon Musk yet again doing things, accomplishing something worthwhile, solving problems with action and not words.

While quite certain this genius has overextended his corporation Tesla, aptly named I might add, financially. Who can deny this wizard's contributions?

I have a very negative outlook on Tesla's future as a company.

Also quite fearful that if it crashes in price this amazing person's reputation will be tarnished by the pigs of Wall Street who only know how to measure success by money.

GO disclosure: I have a small short position in Tesla via a put option and it is the only time in my life I am wishing to lose the bet.  :-\

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Human activity is destroying the ozone layer — again
« Reply #8103 on: October 12, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »
Agelbert NOTE: Nikola Tesla is proven right again.

The ozone layer over Antarctica follows a natural thinning cycle each year, which man-made pollutants exarcerbates. Ozone depletion is usually worse the further from the equator and recently an Ozone hole (as defined by a distinct area of very low ozone levels) has been detected above the North Pole in the arctic. Credit: NASA.

Human activity is destroying the ozone layer — again

LAST UPDATED ON OCTOBER 12TH, 2017 AT 8:13 PM BY TIBI PUIU  E-mail author

After scientists discovered a huge hole in the ozone layer above the Antarctic in 1987, an emergency UN panel banned the use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) under the Montreal Protocol. CFCs build up in the atmosphere and react with the triple oxygen molecule to break it down. Thirty years later, the ozone hole is widely considered plugged — problem solved. Not so fast, caution scientists at the University of East Anglia in the UK. According to a new study, there are still threats to the delicate cushion in the stratosphere shielding us from harmful UV rays, which are due to harmful substances not regulated by the treaty.

A hole in the ozone (and the Montreal Protocol   

Many of the substances still harming the ozone layer were not included in the Montreal Protocol because their impact on the ozone layer was not considered damaging. Chemicals like dichloromethane, which has applications in paint stripping, agricultural fumigation, and pharmaceutical production, were thought to be “too short-lived to reach the stratosphere in large quantities,” explained David Oram, a research fellow at the UK’s National Centre for Atmospheric Science. 

At ground level, ozone or smog is a poisonous chemical often expelled by vehicle exhaust. High up in the stratosphere, ozone builds up at altitudes between 10 and 50 km where it acts as a shield against the harmful ultraviolet rays, which can cause cancer. Ozone holes occur naturally from cooling, but man-made chemicals greatly accelerate their formation. Currently, the ozone hole above Antarctica is the size of North America.

Besides dichloromethane, another highly concentrated chemical identified in the stratosphere includes 1,2-dichloroethane — an ozone-depleting substance used to make PVC, a popular construction material. PVC manufacturing has surged in the last couple of years in China, its main hotspot. What was unexpected, however, was the steep rise in dichloromethane emissions (mainly sourced from China) since this is not only expensive but also toxic. “One would expect that care would be taken not to release [dichloroethane] into the atmosphere,” Oram commented in a public statement. Over the past decade, dichloromethane became approximately 60% more abundant in the atmosphere as compared to the early 2000s.

“Our estimates suggest that China may be responsible for around 50-60% of current global emissions [of dichloromethane], with other Asian countries, including India, likely to be significant emitters as well,” says Oram.

Even though these emissions originate in China and other locations around East Asia, these industrial pollutants can easily leach into the tropics, where the air is more readily lifted into the upper atmosphere. In other words, these chemicals, albeit short-lived, have the time to interact with the ozone layer before breaking down.

“We found that elevated concentrations of these same chemicals were present at altitudes of 12 km over tropical regions, many thousands of kilometres away from their likely source, and in a region where air is known to be transferred into the stratosphere,” says Oram.

Ozone layer recovery could be delayed by as many as 30 years by rising industrial pollutants

Right now, the chemicals in question are not present in quantities significant enough to tear a new hole in the ozone layer but at the current rate of development, that may change. As such, the authors of the new paper published in the journal Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics suggest this gap in the Montreal Protocol should be addressed by banning the chemicals or, at least, limiting their capability to leach into the atmosphere. According to Oram, the average date for ozone recovery, now set to 2050, could be delayed by 20-30 years, “depending on future emissions of things like dichloromethane.”

This is not the first study that identifies ‘very short-lived substances’ (VSLS) — chemicals which break down in less than six months — as ozone depleters. In 2015, a study published in Nature Geoscience found VSLS, dichloromethane included, are increasingly contributing to the depletion of the stratospheric shield.

“In the Antarctic region, where the ozone hole forms each year and where ozone decreases are the most dramatic, we estimate that VSLS account for about 12.5 per cent of the total ozone loss.”

“Globally averaged, the ozone loss due to VSLS in the lower stratosphere could be as much as 25 per cent, though it is much smaller at higher altitude,” Ryan Hossaini of the University of Leeds, UK, and lead author of the study said at the time.

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/new-threats-ozone-layer-043242/

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
There Is An Epic Battle Happening Between Musk & The Tesla Haters
« Reply #8104 on: October 12, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »

OCT 06, 2017

by Harvey Wasserman 

SNIPPET:

Full EXCELLENT article:

Yes, Elon Musk yet again doing things, accomplishing something worthwhile, solving problems with action and not words.

While quite certain this genius has overextended his corporation Tesla, aptly named I might add, financially. Who can deny this wizard's contributions?

I have a very negative outlook on Tesla's future as a company.

Also quite fearful that if it crashes in price this amazing person's reputation will be tarnished by the pigs of Wall Street who only know how to measure success by money.

GO disclosure: I have a small short position in Tesla via a put option and it is the only time in my life I am wishing to lose the bet.  :-\

I understand your position. I undersatnd your logic in taking that short position. Nevertheless, I recommend that you cover ASAP.

A discussion of Tesla short selling was entered into by some posters at Cleantechnica. The arguments made on behalf of shorting Tesla were more a defense of shorting itself (i.e. they defended GREED BASED IDEOLOGY and pretended morality is 'irrelevant') as a "valid" form of making money on the stock market than as what it actually is (i.e a herd following the Zerohedge/Seeking Alpha Tesla hater crowd).

Yes, GO, they talked about the "lack of fundamentals" in the Tesla balance sheet that would 'merit' a view toward the company finally becoming profitable after all these years of 'unproftability'.

So what is wrong with their hope of making lots of money by shorting Tesla?

The FACT that Musk published his game plan over a decade ago and has stuck to it, all the way, except when a part of his game plan was accelerated. He has NOT been sidetracked. But the shorters could only bring up comments like "Tesla is not Amazon or Apple" and so on.

The only way that Tesla can go down is if Trump and Pruitt and the rest of the fossil fuel TOOLS in that sad excuse for a government find a way to make the sale of EVs illegal in most states because they, uh, 'pollute the environment'.

Yes, GO, I admit that skullduggery is possible. But I think the probabilty is too low to justify shorting Tesla at this time. I hope you make the right decision. As you know, I do not buy, sell or short stocks.

The fellow with the handle "Dan" is particularly knowlegedable. I am on the same page as he is. You are probably on the same page as Joseph Dubeau is. He says, "... Greed has the ability to turn many of blind eyes from the truth". I vigorously disagree.

Here are some comments and the article link:

alexays • 4 days ago Whilst most agree the Model S is a great car and the Model X is also appealing, the fact is that Tesla has never made an annual profit and survives only through repeated capital raises through share dilutions and junk bond issuance. The Model 3 doesn't quite have the cachet of the S and X and the dashboard leaves a lot to be desired. If this flops, then the company will have trouble paying its debts and may end up in chapter 11. The only thing more dangerous being short with this stock is being long.

agelbert  alexays • 4 days ago The nuclear power industry has, for the last 60 years, been continously unprofitable. The only reason it has been able to "declare profits" to the shareholders of the electric power companies that own these nuclear white elephants is because of massive government subsidies AND periodic, totally unjustified, bail outs.

As for Tesla, the "subsidy" money they have gotten has been a tiny pittance compared to the massive subsidies the internal combustion engine powered car manufaturers are getting which are both visible and invisible because the fossil fuel bribe team "lobbyists" go out of their way to see that they are "profitable".

In both cases, we-the-people are being coerced to support massive polluting economic travesties that YOU seem to think are "going concerns". They are not. They are dead men walking.

The only thing more dangerous than being short with Tesla stock is being long with nuclear power company or ANY internal combustion engine powered automobile manufacturer stock.

Tesla is the leader that others with good economic sense are following. It's over for the internal combustion engine. Your focus on Tesla balance sheets is not objective simply because you do not understand the fragility of the internal combustion polluting titanic which is inexorably sinking, despite all the efforts of the "business as usual" Wall Street crowd.

The only logical basis you have to be concerned with Tesla is the fact that Trump will do whatever he can to prevent EVs from dominating. Trump and all the other bought and paid for tools of the fossil fuel industry will fail, despite the fact they are attempting a repeat of the successfull Big Oil orchestrated strangulation of all things Renewable Energy powered in the 1980's.

The EV is here to stay AND dominate.  Whether Tesla becomes the leader in EV sales or is outsold by a Chinese (BYD) or Japanese NISSAN) or Indian (TATA) EV manufacture is the only question you should concern yourself with if you plan to short Tesla.

This stunning statement from General Motors will keep Big Oil    up at night GM, Ford, and China strongly embrace electric cars, signaling trouble for Big Oil.

Technom3  alexays • 4 days agoAgreed. Also if the model 3 has the same amount of problems the x had... The market won't forget him. There are too many fanbois who can finally afford the car... And they have a loud megaphone and are temperamental. If the car is great they will sing praise. If it's unreliable or poor quality etc... I don't think Tesla will be able to recover from it as they trade too much on these people selling their blue sky valuation. The model 3 is going to be mean everything for this company. If it fails... Tesla likely will as well.

Also this company hasn't turned a profit with virtually 100% market share. Good luck with Porsche entering the market.... Ohh and Mercedes. Ohh and BMW... Ohh and by the way... These people all have dealerships... You know... Places to actually get the cars serviced at...

agelbert  Technom3 • 4 days ago The following graphic describes you and the entire Tesla/EV hater crowd at Zerohedge within a single year (the one after that is me):

D800-fan • 4 days ago
There are many, many people on Wall St that are making a healthy living by shorting.
It is not just Tesla that gets heavily shorted. There are other tech stocks that are considered legit targets by Wall St. These include Apple. Wall St marks down APPL and TSLA because they don't play the Wall St 'lick my boots game'. Once you understand that then it all makes perfect sense.
Now, I'm from the UK so how do I know this? I spent a whole transatlantic flight sitting next to a shorter. We was slightly drunk as he'd made over $250K with a series of shorts the previous week.

Shorting is a real growth industry.

Dan D800-fan • 4 days ago
Shorting is a game. Saddly these days we let gamblers play with a lot of money in the stock market. It isn't investing it is just gambling and the reality is this type of situation only hurts the working class trying to make an honest living working for the companies these gamblers crash just to make a quick buck. One more example of how the rich have turned our economy into nothing more then a game they play where the winner gets more personal wealth with no regard for the real word cost to society. The entire thing makes me sick.

Agelbert Dan
Exactly right.  One of the greatest examples of how we-the-people have been defrauded by the despicable "greed is good" corporate mentality is the nauseatingly repetitous claim by those who claim monetary profit (over people, planet and anything else in the way), is not only "justified", but "demanded" of anyone in the business of managing money. This willful disdain of morallity in business has been exposed as a fraud. No corporate charter can claim that profit is "IT" above all other concerns simply because ALL corporate charters are subject to each and every law created for the public welfare.

But that doesn't stop Wall Street from making up this profit over people and planet craven stupidity up as they go along. Somebody needs to stamp the following on the foreheads of those planet eaters.

Joseph Brown  Dan • 4 days ago
I don't think you understand what holding a short position really means, or what effects it has on the market. Shorting is perfectly valid, and a way to provide both liquidity and stability to a market. That said, there are times to short, and times not to short -- and I think the Tesla Bears have called this one dead wrong.

Dan  Joseph Brown • 4 days ago
" Shorting is perfectly valid, and a way to provide both liquidity and stability to a market"

Now that is funny.
Maybe you should look up the meaning of stable.

Stable not likely to change or fail; firmly established.
"a stable relationship"
synonyms:   secure, solid, strong, steady, firm, sure, steadfast, unwavering, unvarying, unfaltering, unfluctuating; More
established, abiding, durable, enduring, lasting, permanent

I expecially like how shorting is by your definition is key to enduring, lasting, permanent. I alway thought short term and permanent where opposites.

Agelbert Dan  • 4 days ago
Well said. The standard erudite sounding baloney that Wall Streeters spew is that "shorting is valid because it provides liquidity".

That was a half truth at best prior to high speed trading algorithms. Now with the trading desks of the 6 "big boy" banks running their high speed algorithm fun and fraud games representing over 70% of all trades per day, shorting is a joke.

But it gets better. Much  (almost ALL) of the money "loaned" to these "banks" (you know, the ones that prefer stock gambling to serving customers now)  by the "Federal" Reserve is at NEGATIVE interest rates! So, we-the-people get to provide, at interest the "Federal" Reserve ends up charging us so the "banks" get paid (i.e. negative interest) to fix/game/cheat/defraud "invest profitably" in the mahket. 

And THAT is what is providing all that "healthy income" to those that engage in this "valid" money making activity.

RI-I-I-I-IGHT.....

Below please find, a spokesman for all that activity to help the "economy".

Here's another picture of a trio of them without the sheep covering:

Message to the PARASITES on Wall Street that think they are engaging in "valid" activity on behalf of the "economy":

There Is An Epic Battle Happening Between Musk & The Tesla Haters
October 8th, 2017 by Matt Pressman

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/08/epic-battle-happening-musk-tesla-haters/

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:46:41 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
California Wildfires: Worst Air Quality Ever Recorded' in Bay Area!
« Reply #8105 on: October 12, 2017, 07:38:45 PM »

California Wildfires: Death Toll Rises to 23, 'Worst Air Quality Ever Recorded' in Bay Area

October 11, 2017 By Lorraine Chow

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8PMuxx_de4E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8PMuxx_de4E</a>

Firefighters continue to battle the unprecedented wildfires ravaging Northern California.

As of Wednesday, the fast-moving blazes—aided by high winds and low humidity—have burned nearly 170,000 acres and destroyed at least 3,500 homes and commercial structures since the outbreak started Sunday.

The confirmed death toll has risen to 23, with 285 reported missing. Thousands have been forced to flee due to mandatory evacuations.

A forecast of of high winds on Thursday could deteriorate conditions.

"We're not going to be out of the woods for a great many days to come," Cal Fire director Ken Pimlott said at a news conference yesterday.

California's drought-busting rains from last winter led to "explosive vegetation," as Pimlott said, and a hot and dry summer left the brush and other vegetation tinder-dry, stoking the flames.

While the cause of the infernos has yet to be determined, some scientists have said that climate change may play a role.

"It's very clear that the increasingly hot summers are the product of climate change," Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at the University of California, Los Angeles, told NBC News.

Alex Hall, a climate researcher at the University of California, Los Angeles, also told the New York Times that global warming may at least be making the winds drier.

"That is a pretty key parameter for fire risk," he said.

The region's main utility, Pacific Gas & Electric, has acknowledged that gale-force winds downed some of their power lines.

"These destructive winds, along with millions of trees weakened by years of drought and recent renewed vegetation growth from winter storms, all contributed to some trees, branches and debris impacting our electric lines across the North Bay," company spokesman Matt Nauman told the Mercury News.

"In some cases, we have found instances of wires down, broken poles and impacted infrastructure. Where those have occurred, we have reported them to the CPUC and CalFire. Our thoughts are with all those individuals who were impacted by these devastating wildfires."

The wine country fires have released devastating air pollution.

"We are reporting the worst air quality ever recorded for smoke in many parts of the Bay Area," Tom Flannigan, a spokesman for the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, told the East Bay Times. "This is similar to what you see in Beijing, China in bad air days there."

The air pollution could even equal a year's worth of traffic, Sean Raffuse, an air-quality analyst at the Crocker Nuclear Laboratory at University of California in Davis, said. Raffuse estimates the fires have produced about 10,000 tons of fine particulate matter, about the same amount generated by the state's 35 million vehicles.

California Gov. Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency for the affected areas as well as for Orange County in the southern part of the state.

The National Weather Service has also issued Red Flag Warnings, the highest alert, for much of Northern California.

https://www.ecowatch.com/california-wildfires-air-2495879541.html

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:56:21 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Cannot be Saved
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: There Is An Epic Battle Happening Between Musk & The Tesla Haters
« Reply #8106 on: October 13, 2017, 04:16:39 AM »

Hi Agelbert, Glad to see you are still your feisty self. Thanks for your reply and advice, realizing fully that it is well intentioned.

Let me begin by stating that Zero Hedge is a site never visited by me for years. It is a school yard of little children touting their stock positions or news items that never match their exaggerated headlines corrupted by money and click bait fever in my view.

My sources are of much more sophistication and consists of people who know what they are talking or writing about. The best and smartest, and since we are dealing with the stock market, a place mostly populated by the greedy and the Dim, have many errors in their judgements, but who are overall very successful.

We both agree that EV's are the future, and that Elon Musk deserves much of the credit for bringing it about. We both admire this genius and the good constructive work he has done.

IF you can bring yourself to separate yourself from Elon and your love of the planet that the EV industry will help somewhat to preserve, and just deal with the Tesla Corporation as a legal financial entity alonenothing else; you will better understand my opinion.

XYZ corporation is near bankruptcy in my view.

XYZ corporation stock price is being held up by pool operators who are squeezing short sellers IMO.

XYZ corporation has a cult religious following of people who understand that Elon is a genius but who know nothing about finance, valuations, or corporations.

XYZ corporation is considered by many to have some sort of patent or exclusivity on EV's. They do not.

XYZ corporation faces competition from massive giants in the industry that have capital and resources as well as dealerships and resources that make XYZ a corner coffee shop compared  to a Boeing in comparison. Boyd, GM, Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Tata to name some of the biggies. Boyd is my long position in the EV field and the one I currently view as having the most promise.

XYZ corp or Elon are not hated by GO, nor is it an attempt to hurt the planet by shorting it. It is merely an opinion that the valuation of the Corporation considering it's financial situation and coming competition  are absurd by any measure.

My personal view is that bankruptcy is a distinct possibility, and the best case I can make for it is that the stock prices crashes so much before the declaration of Bankruptcy that one of the behemoths mentioned by me steps in and bails it out via a takeover for the brand name and Elon's massive brain.

I will leave you with a brief interviews by a famous short seller who deals in facts, not dreams. Let GO assure you that no matter what the future holds, this gentleman is no fool. His name is Jim Chanos, he has lost a ton of money shorting Tesla but is staying with it. This gentleman is to corporations what Ashvin is to the Bible.  :laugh: :exp-grin:

A pleasure conversing with you Agelbert, and EV's certainly are part of the future my friend. Regards,GO

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/g1Fa7UpKv1I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/g1Fa7UpKv1I</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cNWDanqI0Jk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cNWDanqI0Jk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dr2tRrXhzeA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Dr2tRrXhzeA</a>

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Our Power Puerto Rico For A Just Recovery & Resilient Rebuild
« Reply #8107 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
“Wall Street’s business-as-usual approach to relief and recovery has led to land-grabs and riches off the misfortune of vulnerable communities. If we act with a clear vision for a Just Recovery, Puerto Rico can serve as a model for areas suffering the same climate injustice.”

Our Power Puerto Rico For A Just Recovery & Resilient Rebuild

October 13th, 2017 by Carolyn Fortuna

The relief package must include debt relief, the repeal of the Jones Act, transparency in distribution of resources, an assessment of infrastructure, and additional provisions detailed in an online petition that will be delivered to US representatives the day of the mass actions. Angela Adrar, Executive Director of CJA, explains why action is needed now to help Puerto Rico develop a sustainable and pragmatic approach to recovery.

“Wall Street’s business-as-usual approach to relief and recovery has led to land-grabs and riches off the misfortune of vulnerable communities. If we act with a clear vision for a Just Recovery, Puerto Rico can serve as a model for areas suffering the same climate injustice.”

What are you doing today for the National Call to Action? In Washington D.C., Our Power Campaign will begin its Congressional Visit tour and drop petitions off to provide #JustRecovery for Puerto Rico and a lift to the Jones Act.  You can follow their progress on Twitter: @CJAOurPower.

This map shows the devastation that Hurricane Maria wreaked upon Puerto Rico.

On September 20th, Hurricane Maria, a powerful Category 4 hurricane with 150 mph winds, struck Puerto Rico full force only days after the Irma storm. Two weeks later, Puerto Rico’s 3.4 million residents are suffering intensely in what has quickly become a major humanitarian and environmental justice disaster.

Hurricane Maria attacked Puerto Rico with devastating winds, drenched the island with destructive flooding, crippled communications, decimated buildings, and damaged a dam that placed  downstream residents at risk of catastrophe. But help has been slow to come to communities where the destruction is described as “apocalyptic,” officials and residents argue.

A systemic change in relief and response is needed, as well as an engineering vision for sustainable infrastructure that can withstand category 5+ storms, which are predicted by scientists to become more commonplace as a consequence of the changing climate.

Advocates for a Just Recovery in Puerto Rico

Many influential community advocates, writers, scientists, and climate activists have joined in to the call to gather together and attest that no longer will the US governments’ blase approach to Puerto Rico’s devastation be accepted.

Naomi Klein, international best-selling author and award-winning journalist.“Standard responses to disasters leave behind more pollution, more debt, less democracy, and a weaker infrastructure. In contrast, a Just Recovery would reduce pollution, reduce debt, challenge systemic racism, deepen democracy, and leave behind a sturdier, more resilient public sphere.”

Elizabeth Yeampierre, Executive Director of UPROSE and Steering Committee Co-Chair of Climate Justice Alliance: “Puerto Rico today is a living, breathing, suffering symbol of climate injustice. The devastation left in the wake of Hurricane Maria is the culmination of centuries of colonialism, extraction, and repression. As Puerto Rico rebuilds, it must revolutionize the society’s decaying systems of survival and confronting the dominant political and financial institutions that have profited from this decay.”

Cindy Wiesner, Executive Director of Grassroots Global Justice Alliance: “In my community in Miami, I witnessed first-hand what happens when people show up for each other during a climate crisis. Frontline communities across the Caribbean, the Gulf Coast and the US South are responding to each other’s needs and bearing the brunt of the recovery with little to no resources. It’s a crime against humanity how the government has chosen to respond. This government owes Puerto Ricans full debt relief and a long-term investment in their survival.”

Sarah Shanley Hope, Executive Director of Solutions Project: “The lives and livelihoods lost as a result of Hurricane Maria exacerbate injustices borne for centuries by frontline communities. We have an opportunity to respond in this time of human crisis with immediate relief and intentions for a long-term regenerative economic transformation. It’s imperative that frontline leadership determines the path for recovery that provides a just and sustainable future. We support the coordinated efforts of CJA as they center the needs of those most impacted and therefore with the greatest vision for what comes next.”

Anthony Rogers-Wright, US Coordinator, The Leap: “Climate exacerbated storms like Hurricane Maria further elucidate the cycle of colonization that is afflicting the island and people of Puerto Rico. Systemic racism, bigotry and economic injustice are only a sample of variables that contributed to this humanitarian crisis. The people cannot afford an anemic recovery effort superficial in nature. These efforts must be led by the people in a way that benefits those who were impacted first and worst by a crisis they had little to do with creating. The Leap is honored to stand with the Climate Justice Alliance, Uprose Brooklyn and other groups who are leading the efforts for a people-powered recovery in Puerto Rico.”

Jovanna Garcia Soto, Solidarity Program Officer for Latin America at Grassroots International: “We as Puerto Ricans and people of color in the USA need to stand up in solidarity and work side-by-side with the people of Puerto Rico towards a Just Recovery and a sustainable, resilient rebuild that prioritizes autonomy, food sovereignty, climate and social justice, respect to the Mother Earth, and the human rights of all people in the Island. We need to take the lead of the courageous Boricuas organizing a regenerative people’s project on the ground with the goal of decolonizing Puerto Rico.

Saulo Araujo, WhyHunger: “Thousands of families are still in desperate need of clothing, water, food, housing, and health care. Here from the US, communities are mobilizing to provide support and amplify the voices of our brothers and sisters in Puerto Rico. The solutions will come from them and it is imperative that we stand with the people of Puerto Rico to the rebuild their livelihoods and sovereignty.”

Mateo Nube, Movement Generation: “The people of Puerto Rico require our full support: there can be no sacrifice zones. The time to step up is now. Our children and grandchildren will look back at this pivotal moment in history and judge us by the choices we made. Climate change is real. Transition has become inevitable. Justice however, is not. It is upon all of us to bring about a Just Recovery for the people of Puerto Rico; to make this a Just Transition for all.”

Jacqui Patterson, Director, Environmental and Climate Justice Program, NAACP: “Citizens of the wealthiest nation in the world are living in squalor and lives are threatened and lost daily as the situation persists. Circumstances are deteriorating with untreated illnesses and simple infections become fatal. The US government is duty-bound to address this crisis but long-term redevelopment must be by the people of Puerto Rico with locally elected officials empowered to reject the interests of the mono-focused wealth building agenda the government and corporations that have caused the island to a pay the price of catastrophic climate change impacts.”

Jose Bravo, Executive Director, Just Transition Alliance: “A just recovery has to start by taking responsibility for the double standard and colonial mentality of the United States towards Puerto Rico. Secondly, a just recovery must put those in harm’s way and those that have disproportionate impact first. Lastly, a just recovery is possible only if the grassroots people of Puerto Rico are the ones leading and holding the efforts accountable. A just transition for the people, by the people, with local economies, and sustainable production is needed.”

Annie Leonard, Executive Director, Greenpeace USA: “There’s no doubt that extreme-weather hurricanes are enhanced by human-caused climate change. We humans need to work together to address global warming and rebuild devastated communities right. Greenpeace is honored to work with climate justice allies to support a #JustRecovery for Puerto Rico that includes renewable energy, regenerative agriculture, and community-led planning.”

Dawn Phillips, Executive Director, Right To The City Alliance: “In the wake of Hurricane Maria and decades of environmental, structural and colonial racism, neoliberal austerity, and land-grabs by private equity funds and Wall Street banks, we must all stand with the people of Puerto Rico to support and fight for a long-term just recovery. A Just Recovery calls on us all defend the right and leadership of the people of Puerto Rico to self-determination, and to democratic control and autonomy over the resources, land, water, and food in Puerto Rico. We must fight against the attempts by Wall Street and government to further privatize and colonize the island for profit and exploitation. We stand arm-in-arm with the people of Puerto Rico and the Puerto Rican Diaspora across the globe leading the efforts for just, sovereign and sustainable Puerto Rico.”

Join a group of individuals who will no longer take No for an answer to social and ecological injustice us as they take to the streets on October 11th, 2017 and speak out on behalf of Puerto Rico’s citizens. Frontline communities have been at the forefront of the solutions and are pushing for a Just Recovery for all communities hit by climate disasters, including Puerto Rico.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/13/power-puerto-rico-just-recovery-resilient-rebuild/

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #8108 on: October 13, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »

Hi Agelbert, Glad to see you are still your feisty self. Thanks for your reply and advice, realizing fully that it is well intentioned. 

Let me begin by stating that Zero Hedge is a site never visited by me for years. It is a school yard of little children touting their stock positions or news items that never match their exaggerated headlines corrupted by money and click bait fever in my view.  :emthup:

My sources are of much more sophistication and consists of people who know what they are talking or writing about. The best and smartest, and since we are dealing with the stock market, a place mostly populated by the greedy and the Dim, have many errors in their judgements, but who are overall very successful.

Agelbert NOTE: It is clear that your definition of success is limited to material riches, even if they come at the expense of spiritual health. This is failure, not success.

5 A righteous man hates lying,
But a wicked man is loathsome and comes to shame.
6 Righteousness guards him whose way is blameless,
But wickedness overthrows the sinner.
7 There is one who makes himself rich, yet has nothing;
And one who makes himself poor, yet has great riches. Proverbs 13:5-7

We both agree that EV's are the future, and that Elon Musk deserves much of the credit for bringing it about. We both admire this genius and the good constructive work he has done.   :emthup:

IF you can bring yourself to separate yourself from Elon and your love of the planet that the EV industry will help somewhat to preserve, and just deal with the Tesla Corporation as a legal financial entity alonenothing else; you will better understand my opinion.

Agelbert NOTE: I have no love for the planet or for Musk. I merely respect God's commandments to respect fellow human beings by celebrating those who are good stewards of creation as well as exposing those who trash the creation. I am commanded by God to view absolutely any human activity through the lense of morality. ANY activity that eschews moral considerations is immoral, and therefore an act of disobedience and disrespect to God.

XYZ corporation is near bankruptcy in my view.

XYZ corporation stock price is being held up by pool operators who are squeezing short sellers IMO.

XYZ corporation has a cult religious following of people who understand that Elon is a genius but who know nothing about finance, valuations, or corporations.

XYZ corporation is considered by many to have some sort of patent or exclusivity on EV's. They do not.

XYZ corporation faces competition from massive giants in the industry that have capital and resources as well as dealerships and resources that make XYZ a corner coffee shop compared  to a Boeing in comparison. Boyd, GM, Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Tata to name some of the biggies. Boyd is my long position in the EV field and the one I currently view as having the most promise.

Agelbert NOTE: All very logical and prudent, although the part about the "cult of knownothings" supporting Musk seems like hyperbole. Let us hope you made the right decision.

XYZ corp or Elon are not hated by GO, nor is it an attempt to hurt the planet by shorting it. It is merely an opinion that the valuation of the Corporation considering it's financial situation and coming competition  are absurd by any measure.

My personal view is that bankruptcy is a distinct possibility, and the best case I can make for it is that the stock prices crashes so much before the declaration of Bankruptcy that one of the behemoths mentioned by me steps in and bails it out via a takeover for the brand name and Elon's massive brain.

I will leave you with a brief interviews by a famous short seller who deals in facts, not dreams. Let GO assure you that no matter what the future holds, this gentleman is no fool. His name is Jim Chanos, he has lost a ton of money shorting Tesla but is staying with it. This gentleman is to corporations
what Ashvin is to the Bible.  :laugh: :exp-grin:

Agelbert Reaction:

A pleasure conversing with you Agelbert, and EV's certainly are part of the future my friend. Regards,GO                             

As a matter of respect for your expertize and curiosity on my part, I will view the videos sometime today.
If I change my views, I will let you know.

However the fact that you believe the expert you recommend is tremendously "skilled" in short selling based on the belief you labor under that Ashvin "is a representative of extensive knowledge and application of the Scriptures" undermines my confidence in your expert and in your decision making ability in the both the subjects of short selling AND the Holy Scriptures.

If you will now go to Pharisee Scribe Ashvin to try to bring him here and start a fight with me, save your time. Ashvin has the same problem that most, if not all, Libertarians have. That problem is greed. No amount of rote "scholarly" knowledge of who wrote what and when in the Holy Scriptures can spare them from reaping the consequences of what they have sown. You know that, whether you will ever be willing to admit it publicly or not.

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #8109 on: October 13, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
GO, I just watched all three videos. Your expert is rather reticent to provide full disclosure of his position in the videos. I assume that you are knowledgeable of his entire portfolio and not basing your decisons on the videos. Mr. Chanos made some errors in logic worthy of a car salesman. For example the BMW discussion was rather irrational. After stating that, IN 2019, they would have a '"better" EV than Tesla for sale, Mr. Chanos used the word "NOW" to state that Tesla has "EV competiton" it did not have before. Now it is 2017.

And to claim a competing EV sports car is going to make a dent in Tesla's sales when the Tesla business model is, as planned over a decade ago, now moving massively into the middle class affordabe EV market is also irrational straw grasping. The only real competition that can undermine Tesla will come from India or China or Japan, as I said in my previous comments. The focus of Mr. Chanos on Germany is a terrible mistake. I've been watching Germany for 5 years with a magnifying glass. The greatest enemies of EVs in that massive move to Renewable Energy that has happened in Germany are the CAR MANUFACTURERS! These gas guzzer loving maniacs in Germany are fighting tooth and nail to keep diesel CRAP and internal combustion engine CRAP from losing subsidies AND/OR being phased out due to pollution concerns. BYD, TATA and/or NISSAN are the threats to Tesla, NOT BMW, VW or any other German car manufacturer.

I labored through the rest. "Structurally unprofitable" is certainly NOT a definition of Tesla manufacturing processes and management. While it is true that Tesla still occupies only a niche of the automobile market, using that as a claim they have no future is ridiculous, considering that the Tesla brand, not as to Madison Avenue "sex" hype, but as to durability, comfort and resale value, has no peer.

Below, please find, my continued sentiments in regard to the shorting of Tesla: 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:20:33 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Keith Olbermann Prophecy 7 years ago (he knew it was OVER then)
« Reply #8110 on: October 13, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPayKb39Kao" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gPayKb39Kao</a>

The above people made the below people the US "government" Plutocratic Oligarchy

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:16:20 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Keith Olbermann Prophecy 7 years ago (he knew it was OVER then)
« Reply #8111 on: October 14, 2017, 05:03:54 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPayKb39Kao" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gPayKb39Kao</a>

Reminding me once again of how much I miss Olbermann on TV. You'll notice how truth tellers, from Olbermann to Dylan Ratigan to Cenk Uygur, disappear from the so-called "librul" channel.

He had it all right, with the exception of President Palin. Our "Dred Scott decision," indeed.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Can Intelligent Charging Infrastructure Handle Millions of EVs?
« Reply #8112 on: October 14, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
Can Intelligent Charging Infrastructure Handle Millions of EVs?  ???

Full article with video:

Intelligent EV Charging Startups Shouldn’t Copy The Gas & Utility Business Model October 14th, 2017 by Nicolas Zart
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Hat Tip to Surly
« Reply #8113 on: October 14, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »

Reminding me once again of how much I miss Olbermann on TV. You'll notice how truth tellers, from Olbermann to Dylan Ratigan to Cenk Uygur, disappear from the so-called "librul" channel.

He had it all right, with the exception of President Palin. Our "Dred Scott decision," indeed.

Agreed. But somehow, I do not think Palin's policies would have been much different, in any way, shape or form, from Trump's polices.

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
The U.S. Tax Code — $4.6 Billion In U.S. Oil Company Subsidies Per Year
« Reply #8114 on: October 14, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »
The U.S. Tax Code — $4.6 Billion In U.S. Oil Company Subsidies    Per Year

October 14th, 2017 by Cynthia Shahan

In a new study of 800 undeveloped U.S. oil fields, researchers found that about half of the fields will never go into production … if oil company tax breaks are taken out of the picture. In related matters, without a shadow of a doubt, renewable energy offers jobs. Renewable energy offers jobs with a future — not temporary part-time work, but jobs that are probably sustainable well on into the future.

Obama was supporting such policies — an end to oil and other fossil fuel subsidies, solar power for low- and moderate-income families that also created jobs, a program to train 25,000 veterans for new solar jobs, and much more. He was pushing for a fresher, more productive future.

What person does not want pure air to breathe, clean water to drink, a future for their children that makes them less likely to get cancer, heart problems, etc.? Yet, we still have oil subsidies — taxpayers covering oil company costs in a variety of ways.

“In a new study Monday in Nature Energy, SEI researchers looked at newly discovered U.S. oil fields that have not yet been put into production — all 800 of them,” Tim McDonnell of The Washington Post reports.

“The researchers found that about half of these undeveloped fields would never go into production, (assuming an oil price of $50 per barrel, close to where it is today) — if oil company tax breaks are taken out of the picture. The study is based on the current range of subsidies and doesn’t account for changes that could result from the new GOP plan.

“But if the range of subsidies offered today remain, those new wells could produce up to 17 billion barrels over the next few decades, SEI found, which in turn would produce around six gigatons of carbon dioxide. To meet the goal set out under the Paris climate agreement to keep warming ‘well below 2 degrees C above pre-industrial levels,’ the United States can emit no more than 30 to 45 gigatons of CO2 between now and 2050.”

A society of sustainable, productive work in clean energy is inspiring. Instead, sacrificing jobs, the economy, and American health and well-being, the current White House wants to go in the wrong direction. It is something akin to the infamous delusion of a young, uneducated queen saying, “Let them eat cake.” That is what the administration sounds like too many days of the week. Fortunately, useful information continues to stream.

This is how you create jobs:

Tax reform is a vitally important issue. It can help fight climate change. McDonnell clearly points out, “Just not the kind of tax reform Trump and Republicans are proposing.”

Going on: “the oil industry is still calling it a win, citing proposals that would make it easier for oil companies to recover their investments in exploration and to shield profits earned from drilling overseas, in addition to lowering the corporate tax rate to 20 percent.”

Can someone please ask Trump on what kind of planet he sees his grandchildren and great-grandchildren living if he continues to ignore clean air initiatives?

Maybe an imploding planet is a metaphor for the president’s state of health.

“The tax blueprint also expands Trump’s reversal of Obama-era climate measures. In 2009, President Barack Obama joined other Group of 20 leaders in a pledge to phase out fossil fuel subsidies eventually. The GOP tax plan gives little indication of keeping that commitment — and that could have significant implications for U.S. oil production and the climate.”

Backwards, backwards, backwards — into a quicksand of confusion and tragedy for the well-being of the general population. This heartless tax shelter for the profiteers of future pre-existing conditions — and not a few dollars to help hungry children in schools. Ignoring solar job potential while subsidizing some of the richest companies in the world.

McDonnell continues, “Already, the U.S. oil industry benefits from a dozen specialized subsidies adding up to about $4.6 billion per year, according to a 2015 review by the Obama administration. Among other things, the subsidies reduce the costs of labor and equipment involved in drilling — and shield some of the profits earned on the oil itself. Those tax breaks and other subsidies don’t just help the industry a little bit. In many cases, they determine whether it’s even worth drilling in the first place, according to a study earlier this year from the Stockholm Environment Institute, a nonprofit research organization.

Without federal and state subsidies, nearly half of U.S. oil production — about 45 percent — would be unprofitable at current prices, the researchers found. So, unless oil prices go rocketing up, reducing or eliminating those subsidies would likely lead to a significant reduction in oil production over time".

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/14/u-s-tax-code-4-6-billion-u-s-oil-company-subsidies-per-year/

Agelbert NOTE: These God Damned (and I'm not swearing here) Fossil Fuel Polluter WELFARE QUEENS go out of business or most humans die, PERIOD.
Faith,