AuthorTopic: Agelbert's Newz Channel  (Read 1177366 times)

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: interest paid on investment mortgages
« Reply #8280 on: December 05, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »
Eddie said:

It isn't clear to me how the new tax plan will treat interest paid on investment mortgages. In a worst case scenario I might have to change my entire approach to investing and get out of real estate altogether. In recent years real estate has been the only tax advantaged form of investing that has worked well for me. Even though real estate is subject to deflationary collapse, it does have the advantage of being a tangible asset. Stocks can go to zero. I am currently doing pretty well trading the cannabis stocks, but it's very high risk. If they force everyone into the stock market, the bubble will certainly enter the last parabolic up phase, which will inevitably be followed by a  huge collapse in stocks and bonds.  Goodbye retirement, all you boomers.

One of the plans (I think it is the House plan, but I'm not sure) eliminates the interest deduction on any property valued at over $500,000. But it may be worse than that for people like you because only ONE property that you own (and that property must be valued at less that $500,000) can have the interest paid on the mortgage deducted. Of course some accountant will figure a way for you to put properties into a shell corporation that qualifies as a business so the expenses for everything from the toilet paper on up will be "deductible", so accountants will make out like bandits with this new Tax Scam.  :exp-evil:

I'm not in the stock market. I agree the risks associated with stock ownership are astronomical now. BUT, Trump and his wrecking crew are doing everything they can to make it the 'only game in town'.

SCREW TRUMP AND HIS WRECKING CREW! I won't play. I prefer DEATH to submitting to fascist economic coercion.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:49:03 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
"I don't know how the math works for getting healthcare workers paid without it.
« Reply #8281 on: December 05, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
Agelbert NOTE: Eddie is a Dentist living in Austin, Texas.

Tax Plans Pave Way for Massive Cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security
Tuesday, December 05, 2017

By Lindsay Koshgarian, Truthout | News Analysis

SNIPPET:
It may seem counterintuitive at first, but to "small-government" types, this is a dream come true. The increased national debt gives the perfect political cover for cutting social programs. And this reform won't be limited to traditional welfare programs for struggling parents, which in 2016 amounted to less than half a percent of the total federal budget. Instead, lawmakers will take direct aim at the social programs where the most money is spent*, and upon which the most Americans rely: Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

Full article:

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/42811-tax-plans-pave-way-for-massive-cuts-to-medicare-medicaid-social-security

* Agelbert NOTE: Said lawmakers will, of course, NOT take aim at the Military Industrial Complex WELFARE QUEEN(S) HANDOUT programs, where FAR MORE MONEY IS SPENT than on  Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.   

It's also worth mentioning that Medicare and Medicaid put money into the local economies nationwide. I live off Medicaid and it pays my employees. By taking away your senior benefits, it puts your personal doctor out of business. The entire healthcare system has adapted to these benefits over the last couple of generations, and I don't know how the math works for getting healthcare workers paid without it.

I would say the math doesn't work. And that's the way the evil greedballs pushing this Tax Scam have planned it all along.

It all just seems like the 1% has decided to do whatever they can to kill most of the population off by gradually denying the 99% the ability to live decently. The 1% parasites just do not get the FACT that they CANNOT survive without the 99% AND their Libertarian Fascist Malthusian Dream will QUICKLY MORPH into the guillotine for the 1%. Stupid is as stupid does.
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Electric cars will come of age in 2018 | The Economist
« Reply #8282 on: December 05, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »
Electric cars will come of age in 2018 | The Economist

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zGFb6CcG0DA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zGFb6CcG0DA</a>

The Economist

Published on Oct 18, 2017

Electric cars will come of age in 2018. For the first time they will compete in price and performance with petrol and diesel cars. But in the year ahead we will also be confronted with some uncomfortable truths about going electric.
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Alex Azar: the Worst Of the Trump Administration
« Reply #8283 on: December 05, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »
Is Alex Azar the Worst Of the Trump Administration? (w/Guest Alex Lawson)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUdjoFwUfmU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FUdjoFwUfmU</a>

Thom is joined by long time friend of the show Alex Lawson of Social Security Works and We Act Radio, to discuss what may be the worst of the Trump Administration. Alex Azar.

Thom Hartmann Dec. 2, 2017 1:00 pm
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Trump's Jerusalem Embassy Move Was Long in the Works
« Reply #8284 on: December 05, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »

December 5, 2017

Trump's Jerusalem Embassy Move Was Long in the Works

President Trump will recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and move the American embassy there. Ali Abunimah of the Electronic Intifada says years of US policy set the stage.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SlYT9P1UKlw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SlYT9P1UKlw</a>

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20639
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
A Green New Deal for Washington State
« Reply #8285 on: December 05, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »

December 5, 2017

A Green New Deal for Washington State

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ncAyqrn0wBU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ncAyqrn0wBU</a>

Trump may be leading the US backwards on developing a Green Economy but a new study by the Political Economy Research Institute at UMass, says Washington State can pave the way to a New Green Deal. Prof. Robert Pollin and AFL-CIO Labor leader in Washington State discusses the study and the possibilities. Link to report

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20616
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Trump's Friends Get Tax Cuts, His Base Gets Racist Support
« Reply #8286 on: December 05, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »
December 5, 2017

Trump's Friends Get Tax Cuts, His Base Gets Bigotry

As President Trump re-tweets an anti-Muslim British group, historian and professor Gerald Horne of the University of Houston says Trump is following through on the bigotry he campaigned on

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DrI27d3neBo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DrI27d3neBo</a>

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20601

Faith,

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Trump's Friends Get Tax Cuts, His Base Gets Racist Support
« Reply #8287 on: December 05, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »
December 5, 2017

Trump's Friends Get Tax Cuts, His Base Gets Bigotry

As President Trump re-tweets an anti-Muslim British group, historian and professor Gerald Horne of the University of Houston says Trump is following through on the bigotry he campaigned on

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DrI27d3neBo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DrI27d3neBo</a>

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20601

Bingo. Reduced to the essence, the headline says it all.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Big Sugar Buried Evidence to Hide Sugar Harms (from 1967 to the present!)
« Reply #8288 on: December 06, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
Big Sugar  Buried Evidence to Hide Sugar Harms

Story at-a-glance

֍ The sugar industry has long known that sugar consumption triggers poor health, but hid the incriminating data, much like the tobacco industry hid the evidence linking smoking to lung cancer

֍ Historical documents show the sugar industry has spent decades manipulating, molding and guiding nutritional research to exonerate sugar by shifting the blame for obesity and heart disease to saturated fat

֍ The documents also show the sugar industry buried evidence from the 1960s that linked sugar consumption to heart disease and bladder cancer. At the time, food additives shown to cause cancer in animals were banned

֍ Sucrose was also found to have an adverse effect on cholesterol and triglycerides

֍ Just like it defended sugar in food by shifting the blame onto dietary fats, the sugar industry also made sure sugar did not become a concern within dentistry by shifting the focus onto the need for fluoride

Full article: 

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/12/06/industry-buried-evidence-hiding-sugar-harms.aspx

Agelbert NOTE: Back in 1985 when I went back to college to study pre-med, I learned of what medical science calls the "sugar reflex". The metabolic immediate effects of sugar molecules on the most life forms, including humans, is a hormonal trigger telling the organism to "GET MORE OF THAT GREAT STUFF"! Sugar is cheap energy which, though essential to survival when starvation conditions exist, is extremely harmful due to the fact that eating it encourages fat cell population increase, anoxic conditions in the liver (too many fat cells there) which cause inefficent liver function (all sorts of enzymes you need are no longer produced in sufficent quantity), which leads to cirrhocis  and metabolic diseases like cardiovascular dysfunction, obesity and diabetes.

Now medical science knows quite a bit more about the metabolic downsides of the sugar reflex.

Among the diseases resulting from eating too much sugar that I mentioned above, diabetes is the one everybody seems to know about. However, they don't know the PROCESS, that any pre-med student now should know, that starts with the sugar reflex.

You see, you have millions of these little tiny biological machines inside you called H3 receptors. You know how the pancreas does its insulin thing to help the mitochondria in your cells metabolize all that sugar you were gamed into eating by the sugar reflex (i.e. hormone triggers happy day! Lots of cheap energy! Go GIT IT!).

What you aren't being told is that eating cheap crap like refined sugar causes a major adjustment in your biochemstry. That is, the H3 receptors flag the system that TOO MANY of them are being activated. Unlike Capitalism, your body's systems know when too much cheap energy (i.e. metabolic HARMFUL 'profit') is coming in. Capitalists do not understand the concept of harmful profit. Thus they doom themselves. But I digress. ;D Your body, generally speaking, knows what too much of a 'good' thing is, but your brain can be fooled by the sugar reflex into overcoming the mechanisms your biochemistry has for dealing with harmful (i.e. excess) energy.

The system then tweaks the H3 receptor "software" ;D so they need a lot more sugar in the blood than before to be activated. Thus, you begin the path that leads you to diabetes. The pancreas reaches a  point where the H3 receptors will not budge to signal it to make insulin. Your mitichondria cannot metabolize the sugar and you get hyperglycemic (high blood sugar) and possibly pass out (or go into a coma). You can go into an equally dangerous hypoglycemic condition too. It is very bad news to be diabetic.

Some reading this might say that all medical science needs to do is retweak those H3 receptors so your system can work with a normally small amount of insulin, as it did before. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The H3 receptors peter out as you move towards being a diabetic, so the pancreas will not make insulin, so  you then need insulin injections.

Stay AWAY from refined sugar if you want to live longer. And, by the way, your teeth will last longer too.

For those who want to learn a bit of Histamine metabolic fun and games associated with H3 receptors, enjoy the study at the link below:

SNIPPET:

Since the inhibitory effect of neuronal histamine on food intake was first reported in 1973 (Clineschmidt and Lotti, 1973), many studies have shown that histamine acts as a neurotransmitter in energy homeostasis, modulating hypothalamic neuronal activities (Jorgensen et al., 2007). A H3 receptor inverse agonist increased the hypothalamic concentration of histamine, leading to reduced food intake and body weight (Malmlof et al., 2005). Conversely, a H3 receptor agonist suppressed hypothalamic histamine release and elicited feeding behaviour in rats (Chiba et al., 2009). Betahistine, a partial inverse agonist at H3 receptors, induced significant weight loss with minimal adverse events in women under 50 years of age (Barak et al., 2008). Moreover, the centrally acting H3 receptor protean agonist proxyfan reduced blood glucose level and exhibited anti-diabetic properties in mice (Henry et al., 2011). Based on all these findings, neuronal H3 receptors have attracted substantial attention as a potential therapeutic target in obesity (Leurs et al., 2005).

The expression and function of histamine H3 receptors in pancreatic beta cells

The expression and function of histamine H3 receptors in pancreatic beta cells
T Nakamura,1 T Yoshikawa,1 N Noguchi,2 A Sugawara,3 A Kasajima,4 H Sasano,4 and K Yanai1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3874705/
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Libertarians and IDIOTS (but I repeat myself) support THESE TRUMP ACTIONS
« Reply #8289 on: December 06, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »

Updates on Attacking Science, Astroturfing on Pipelines, and Staffing the Swamp

One of our goals with this roundup is to alert you to upcoming denier threats before they hit the mainstream. Occasionally, great reporting can further illuminate issues we noticed some time ago. With deniers in power, good journalists have been busy digging into these issues even more, so quite a few updates to past roundups are in order.

First up, a new development to something we’ve covered extensively over the past few months: Pruitt’s plans for some red team/blue team nonsense. In a recent interview (from Disney World, for some reason) Pruitt told the Wall Street Journal’s Eli Stokols that he plans to kick off the process in early 2018. Writing this week in Scientific American, climate scientist Ben Santer explains how the peer-review process and scientific norms already function as a red team. Pruitt’s effort, Santer concludes, seeks only to “muddy the waters, to confuse, to delegitimize and devalue decades of well-established science.”

On that same anti-science note, InsideClimate News uses Lamar Smith, he of denying warming even as he watches the Arctic melt, as a case study in a piece published this week on how fossil fuel money shaped the House Science committee. The piece lays out how Smith transformed the committee from a quiet bipartisan group into something that, as Union of Concerned Scientists’ Andrew Rosenberg puts it, has played a role in the“diminishment of science in public policy.” From attacking scientists to politicizing science and championing denial, Smith served his funders well by defending fossil fuels from science.

Buying politicians is one way the industry wields influence. Astroturfing is another. We took a look at some of the fossil fuel industry’s astroturfing operations right before Thanksgiving, and since then more examples have already cropped up.

Kathiann M. Kowalski reports this week for Midwest Energy News on a pro-coal group in Ohio, that clearly serves a fossil fuel agenda, despite keeping its funders secret. Like many astroturfing groups, the organization boasts a typically Orwellian name--the Campaign for American Affordable and Reliable Energy (CAARE)--and has inserted itself into anti-wind farm lawsuits around the state. While the group is far from transparent, Kowalski digs up some clues that lead to fossil fuels. And a quick google of the group’s name shows that back in 2008, industry-friendly “free market” group FreedomWorks launched a campaign with almost the same name.

Slightly more transparent is the pro-pipeline efforts exposed by Huffington Post’s Alexander Kauffman this week. As Kaufman reports, a presentation obtained by HuffPo shows how the American Gas Association has set up a project called “Your Energy” in order to seed arguments, graphics and other propaganda into the public conversation about pipelines. With supposedly local organizations in Connecticut and Virginia, the group’s efforts go to show that the only people who really support pipelines are likely the same ones profiting off of them.

Finally, at this point it’s clear that Trump’s promise to hire “the best people” is just as true as his promise to drain the swamp. But a new analysis from the AP puts a number at how unqualified Trump’s hires have been. Sixty percent of the people Trump has hired for science positions lack an advanced degree in science, according to the AP’s analysis. Sixty percent of Obama’s picks, by contrast, did have advanced degrees. Broken down by agency, the difference is even more stark: while Obama’s Department of Energy had 13 advanced degree appointees, Trump’s has zero.

Reminder: The DoE is responsible for maintaining America’s nuclear fuel for power and weapons, and Rick Perry got a “D” in a class on meats.   

Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Most of the country’s 239 locks have exceeded their half-century design lives,..
« Reply #8290 on: December 06, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »
Wooden Dams And River Jams Strain US Grain Exports

December 5, 2017 by Reuters

by Karl Plume

SNIPPET 1:

America’s worst traffic jam this fall occurred on the Ohio River, where a line of about 50 miles of boats hauling grains and other products turned into a waterborne parking lot, as ship captains waited for the river to reopen.

Such delays are worsening on the nation’s waterways, which are critical to commerce for the United States, the largest grain exporter in the world. Of the country’s $40 billion in annual grain and soybean exports, about 60 percent is moved by barges on rivers, including the Ohio.

The shutdown, caused by worn or missing sections of a dam, snarled traffic from early September into early November through Locks & Dam No. 52 near Paducah, Kentucky. It was the second shutdown in two months at No. 52, which is among the country’s busiest locks with about $22 billion a year of commodities flowing through it.

The lock, which has been earmarked for replacement by the Army Corps of Engineers for three decades, is one of many choke points along 25,000 miles of waterways used to transport everything from grains to consumer goods to coal.

SNIPPET 2:

Most of the country’s 239 locks have exceeded their half-century design lives, and nearly half the vessels that use the nation’s inland waterways now experience delays, according to the American Society of Civil Engineers.

The average delay per lock has nearly doubled on the waterways since the beginning of the century, rising to 121 minutes in 2014 from 64 minutes in 2000, the group said.

Full article with several pictures:

http://gcaptain.com/wooden-dams-river-jams-strain-us-grain-exports/

Agelbert NOTE: Trump is doing NOTHING to solve this infrastructure problem. Right wingers and Libertarian MORONS think the "free market" will take care of this by privatizing every single bit of infrastructure our GOVERNMENT BUILT. These brain dead IDIOTS do not understand that privatizing all that infrastructure is exactly how you will cause food prices to SKYROCKET. Greed has so deranged these right wingers of all types that they can no longer think past their Trump worshipping insanity.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:12:21 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Dramatic Iceberg Breakup in Antarctica Has Scientists Even More Worried
« Reply #8291 on: December 06, 2017, 03:27:12 PM »

Dramatic Iceberg Breakup in Antarctica Has Scientists Even More Worried

December 6, 2017

Maddie Stone

SNIPPET:

“What’s both interesting and of concern is the lines along which the iceberg has broken follow the pattern of crevasses developed in the ice shelf that it calved from,” Larter continued. “This change of behavior might reflect the crevasses within the ice shelf having an increasing influence on the spacing and pattern of iceberg calving.”

Pine island is currently shedding about 45 billion tons of ice a year. Scientists are watching closely for signs that the glacier will retreat faster as temperatures rise (they’ve already risen more than two degrees Celsius at the nearby Byrd Station). And several recent calving events—a 252-square-mile glacier in 2013, a 225-square-miles glacier in 2015, and the 72-square-mile glacier earlier this year—have put the Antarctic science community on edge.

Full article:

https://earther.com/dramatic-iceberg-breakup-in-antarctica-has-scientists-e-1821018353
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:37:52 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
It's 1929 all over again...
« Reply #8292 on: December 06, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »

California's Year of Hellfire Continues As a Huge Blaze Erupts Outside of Los Angeles

December 6, 2017

Brian Kahn

SNIPPET:

The National Weather Service fire forecast indicates that extreme or critical fire weather could affect 20 million Southern Californians today and tomorrow. Through next week, that number balloons to 36 million.

The National Weather Service’s San Diego office took to Twitter to beg for a pattern change later this month. Right now, the city is on track to have tie 1929 for its driest start to the water year on record.

Parts of Southern California have been bone dry since the start of the water year on Oct. 1. Image: NOAA Western Regional Climate Center

Full article:

https://earther.com/californias-year-of-hellfire-continues-as-a-huge-blaze-1821012661

Agelbert NOTE: The level of CO and CO2 in the Los Angeles area right now is off the charts. :P  See for yourself:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/chem/surface/level/overlay=co2sc/orthographic=-122.90,34.98,3000

I seem to remember reading about something else that happened in 1929...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:09:41 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
The Horses and Sparrows Theory was the Original "Trickle Down" RIGHT WING CON
« Reply #8293 on: December 06, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »
Workers Create All Wealth Not Billionaires (w/Guest Alex Lawson)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L6K8RXAm1z8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/L6K8RXAm1z8</a>

Thom is joined by Alex Lawson of Social Security works to discuss the differences between Republicans, how we can fight their tax scam and why they are still trying to feed us this horse crap, trickle down theory!

Thom Hartmann Dec. 5, 2017 3:30 pm

Agelbert NOTE: Thom brings up an interesting bit of history. Way back in the 1880's, when the Libertarian CROOKS were running America, they had a cute little saying that they cleverly fed to the people. You see, a horse eats its fodder and poops a type of poop that sparrows love to eat because the poop has undigested oats in the horse droppings! Well, they said the gooberment should allow the "horses" (i.e. the robber barrons and other assorted Libertarian "small government" sons of Belial ) to do their "job creating" thing (i.e. Laissez-faire plunder and mayhem ) because we sparrows will "benefit" from all those undigested "goodies" the rich are "kind enough" to deliver to us on a regular basis.  Thus, the Horses and Sparrows Theory was born. THAT was how the "Trickle Down Theory"  HORSESHIT originated. But it actually goes all the way back to the Sheriff of Nottingham! :o 

The main thing for you readers to remember is that the rght wingers/Libertarians/fascists were Horshitting us even before they were Bullshitting us! Those profit over people and planet CON ARTISTS have ALWAYS been allergic to telling the truth!

Hey right wingers! Go HORSESHIT SOMEBODY ELSE, you lying, double talking, GREEDBALL CRIMINALS! 
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Trump just broke the Stupidometer
« Reply #8294 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »

December 6, 2017

Trump's 'Criminal' Jerusalem Move Could Backfire

By recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital and moving the US embassy there, President Trump is catering to the US right-wing while risking a new revolt against his Middle East agenda, says journalist and scholar Rami Khouri

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7DsvoBmoEo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/B7DsvoBmoEo</a>

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20649
Faith,