AuthorTopic: Agelbert's Newz Channel  (Read 1537742 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
#ShellKnew: Green Group Sues Oil Giant Over Climate 🔥 Impact
« Reply #8985 on: April 11, 2018, 06:45:44 PM »

#ShellKnew: Green Group Sues Oil Giant Over Climate 🔥
 Impact

Internal documents show the oil giant has known for decades that fossil fuel activities would lead to catastrophic climate change, and that it deliberately mislead the public. Friends of the Earth Netherlands says it will take Shell to court if it doesn't do more to cut its climate impact. We speak to campaign leader Freek Bersch

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WneSJCeiO0U" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WneSJCeiO0U</a>

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=21557

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #8986 on: April 11, 2018, 10:53:48 PM »

Mining of the tar sands will not be stopped.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
I Don't Think So
« Reply #8987 on: April 12, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »

Mining of the tar sands will not be stopped.

You are entitled to your opinion and to be as wrong as you wish of course, but I disagree with your rather depressing opinion.

I think that soon the polluters will have to stick the product of tars sands mining where the sun doesn't shine. 

Times are changin', K-Dog. The polluters will increasingly find themselves out gunned, despite their past successful efforts to corrupt every government that has fossil fuel resources. 8)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:40:31 AM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
New Zealand 🌞 may have just killed its oil industry
« Reply #8988 on: April 12, 2018, 11:35:54 AM »

New Zealand may have just killed its oil industry 

by Jethro Mullen   @CNNMoney

April 12, 2018: 7:14 AM ET   

SNIPPET:

New Zealand has stunned the energy industry by slapping a new cap on drilling for oil and gas in its waters as part of efforts to combat climate change.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Thursday that the government will "no longer be granting any new offshore oil and gas exploration permits."

"This is another step on our transition away from fossil fuels and towards a carbon neutral economy," Ardern said in a speech.

The country's oil industry 🐉🦕🦖 quickly voiced its anger over the move.

Full article (with the expected whining and veiled threats from the fossil fuelers  ::)):

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/12/news/companies/new-zealand-oil-gas-exploration/index.html

Agelbert NOTE: If you didn't notice how CNN cleverly excluded Renewable energy from the "energy industry", you weren't paying attention. Also, every single time some government does something that is OBVIOUSLY required to mitigate Catastrophic Climate Change, some "journalist" uses words like "stunning", "surprise", "unexpected", etc. ad nauseum, as if the unsustainable polluting status quo is somehow "rational" and ending polluting practices isn't.

The truth twisting, fossil fuel worshipping media 😈 is definitely into Orwellian discourse.  🤬

Here's just ONE graphic from the non-polluting segment of the ENERGY INDUSTRY that clearly explains why New Zealand is doing the correct economic AND biosphere math.   

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:44:43 AM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Stunning Documentary Examines Kiribati's Unrelenting Sea Level Rise 🌊
« Reply #8989 on: April 12, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
EcoWatch

Stunning Documentary Examines Kiribati's Unrelenting Sea Level Rise 😟

To some, climate change might feel like a distant problem that does not affect our everyday lives. Some even treat the global phenomenon with downright indifference or label it a "hoax."

Of course, climate change is not a faraway threat. The destructive effects of a warming world are very real and are felt today, especially in the low-lying Pacific island nation of Kiribati.

The island republic could become one of the first countries to disappear from sea level rise, as Director Matthieu Rytz shows in his feature documentary, Anote's Ark, a stunning film EcoWatch is honored to sponsor at the 42nd Cleveland International Film Festival.

Kiribati is made of 33 coral atolls with most of the land only a few feet above sea level. Recently, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration warned that global average sea level rise could reach up to 8.2 feet by 2100.

Scientists predict that Kiribati could be completely swallowed by rising seas and storm surges within decades. Its 100,000 residents have already felt the impacts of climate change, including high tides that inundate their homes, flood their crops and contaminate their drinking water supply.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UE2_maYEqF8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UE2_maYEqF8</a>

Rytz's documentary follows former President Anote Tong's mission to keep his country and 4,000 years of rich cultural history above water. Literally.

Tong, who served as president for three successive terms from 2003 to 2016, races to find options, from advocating in international climate negotiations to investigating the possibility of building underwater cities or even floating islands.

Tong has warned that islanders will inevitably have to start leaving Kiribati because of rising waters.

"Relocation, no matter how undesirable, must therefore be the brutal reality of the future of atoll island nations, and part of the solution," he said in 2016.

Former Kiribati President Anote Tong.

Anote's Ark

The documentary also follows Sermary Tiare, a young mother of six, who must decide whether to leave her home and migrate to a new life in New Zealand.

Rytz spent four years traveling between his home in Montreal to Kiribati to make the feature-length film.

"I feel honored, and also entrusted with a great responsibility, to tell this small nation's story before it disappears," he said.

"I want this film to give a voice to the people of Kiribati. I want the world to see their commitment to caring for people, their respect for the natural world, and their dignity and grace as they face the loss of their entire country," he added.

"They are leading by example, and we must listen, and learn from them, before their fate becomes our own."

The Cleveland International Film Festival kicks off on April 4. Anote's Ark will be shown on April 10 and 11.

https://www.ecowatch.com/anotes-ark-2553715003.html
Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Think So
« Reply #8990 on: April 12, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »
Mining of the tar sands will not be stopped.[/center]

You are entitled to your opinion and to be as wrong as you wish of course, but I disagree with your rather depressing opinion.

I think that soon the polluters will have to stick the product of tars sands mining where the sun doesn't shine.

Times are changin', K-Dog. The polluters will increasingly find themselves out gunned, despite their past successful efforts to corrupt every government that has fossil fuel resources.

It will stop due to energy economics.  When the net energy return is negative, it stops itself.  This will take a little while though.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: I Don't Think So
« Reply #8991 on: April 12, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »

Times are changin', K-Dog. The polluters will increasingly find themselves out gunned, despite their past successful efforts to corrupt every government that has fossil fuel resources.

It will stop due to energy economics.  When the net energy return is negative, it stops itself.  This will take a little while though.

RE
the view from here is we want the revenue and the righteousness of being clean energy crusaders. I see zero enthusiasm for the financial pain it would cause here. I don't know if there will be future tar sands money but there is no way in hell Alberta will shut down mature developments. At 60 something a barrel everyone is anti tar sands at 110 a barrel... that is a hell of an incentive. You buy a lot of senior care daycare housing projects with that money. There is an established route to the Gulf refineries and infrastructure designed to take it. The trick will be making sure no new money goes in...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution

RE

The energy net return for fossil fuels has always been, when ALL the "externalities" are taken into account, negative. They've gotten around that with corruption, gamed markets and welfare queen subsidies, NOT because they had a positive ERoEI.

I've made that case to you for years but you just do not want to hear it.  ::)

RE, whether you want to accept it or not, the "high energy density" (LOL!) of this tar sands crap is NOT the issue here.

In regard to the present situation in Canada, the issue for the fossil fuelers is that, as long as the polluters can buy governments to give them a free pass to continue using the biosphere as a dumping ground for their pollution, they will continue.

They will scream about "sanctity of contracts" (even though the fossil fuelers 🦖 - SEE EXXON 🦖 in Guyana right now! - will mangle contracts any time they feel like it or defend them like Bible Quotes when the contract is a sweetheart deal is in their favor!). They will wail about world trade agreements. They will threaten to sue. It's all legaleze BULLSHIT.

The "busness model 😈" of the Fossil Fuel Industry 🦖, AT PRESENT, has NOTHING to do with real energy product thermodynamics of energy return on ENERGY invested cause and effect. Regardless of how uncompetitive their polluting product is, the polluters will cling to their stupid business model as long as they can keep the corruption gravy train going.

Spare me the talk about energy product "energy" returns. You peak oil folks see lack of energy as the only trigger for disruption. That's way too reductionist. How come your "peak oil" isn't at $200 a barrel, huh? Over a decade ago it was over $100! Inflation PLUS "peak oil"  should have raised the price above $200 NOW, not the measly $67 or so!

We've used a LOT of oil since 2005! If the supply was really going down so much, they would have jacked up the price, regardless of the Great Recession! Don't bother to riddle me why they ain'tb done that, Batman. I can answer WHY the price of oil ain't gainin' traction, despite the best efforts of corrupt c\governmetns hither and yon.

The answer is REAL COMPETITION from clean energy, whether you want to accept that or not (see graphic below).

The only thing that will stop the polluters is people willing to give their lives to stop them. That will happen soon in Canada and in many other places as well.

The economics of fossil fuels has been brain dead stupid for several years now. Corrupt government handouts and subsidies is the only thing keeping those bastards in business, whether you peak oil folks want to believe that or not. 

The following chart is irrefutable evidence that the fossil fuelers have ZERO REAL economic reason, beyond corrupt practices that game the energy prices, for continuing polluting product BAU.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:52:44 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Kinder Morgan agrees with David B.
« Reply #8993 on: April 12, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »

RE
the view from here is we want the revenue and the righteousness of being clean energy crusaders. I see zero enthusiasm for the financial pain it would cause here. I don't know if there will be future tar sands money but there is no way in hell Alberta will shut down mature developments. At 60 something a barrel everyone is anti tar sands at 110 a barrel... that is a hell of an incentive. You buy a lot of senior care daycare housing projects with that money. There is an established route to the Gulf refineries and infrastructure designed to take it. The trick will be making sure no new money goes in...

So, it's all about money, is it?  I'll agree with you on just one thing: $110 a barrel is a HELL of an incentive. I'm sure your daughters will NOT thank you profusely in a decade or so for supporting polluting tar sands at the "right" price. I think anyone that does figure that tar sands polluting is "okay" at the "right" price will soon be very sorry they did. But for now, I'm sure the lawyers from Kinder Morgan agree 100% with your "math".  Good luck with that.

Faith,

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #8994 on: April 12, 2018, 03:52:05 PM »
AG: The economics of fossil fuels has been brain dead stupid for several years now. Corrupt government handouts and subsidies is the only thing keeping those bastards in business, whether you peak oil folks want to believe that or not.

I have been saying that for ages: the only reason fracking continues is because the Fed guarantees the commercial bank's loans to the frackers, despite their business case not adding up.  This because Amerikans are addicted to oil and that is the only way to keep BAU ticking over.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:55:03 PM by agelbert »
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #8995 on: April 12, 2018, 04:13:04 PM »
AG: The economics of fossil fuels has been brain dead stupid for several years now. Corrupt government handouts and subsidies is the only thing keeping those bastards in business, whether you peak oil folks want to believe that or not.

I have been saying that for ages: the only reason fracking continues is because the Fed guarantees the commercial bank's loans to the frackers, despite their business case not adding up.  This because Amerikans are addicted to oil and that is the only way to keep BAU ticking over.

I agree with you on this, but I do not think you are stating the whole story. The "addiction" to fossil fuels is certainly not limited to the USA. About 17% of the world's population is "addicted" to dirty energy. The following graphic may be a bit dated because China's thirst for fossil fuels has grown a LOT, but you can see that population itself is not the problem:

I believe that the gaming of markets on behalf of all types of fossil fuels is the sad legacy of government corruption. You accuse Americans of being addicted to il. True. But, the drug pusher that got them (I am NOT addicted to oil - they would be bankrupt if they had to rely on my use of fossil fuels for the last 30 years  8)) was the US Government, a subsiudiary of Standard Oil for over a century. Did you know that the ENTIRE intelligence organization for US agencies in foreign countries came DIRECTLY from the officies of Rockefeller's Standard Oil? You didn't? Well, that is a historical fact.

The tentacles of the fossil fuel industry are so engrained in US foreign and domestic policy as to be indistinguishable from Fossil fuel corrupt corporate fun and games until Renewable Energy began to make some headway in the last two decades.

Read "The Tyranny of Oil" by Antonia Juhaz to learn how ever single effort by competing energy technologies since the early 20th century have been ruthlessly and methodically crushed.

Disinformation campaigns (Government FUNDED! not just Fossil Fuel Industry funded) subsequently would make, and repeat a LOT, the bold faced BULLSHIT claim that "they weren't ready for prime time" or "they couldn't compete" or the old reliable "They didn't have enough energy density". They were all half truths at best, though more often just plain corrupt profit over people and planet "business as usual".

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:45:23 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Kinder Morgan agrees with David B.
« Reply #8996 on: April 12, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »

RE

So, it's all about money, is it?  I'll agree with you on just one thing: $110 a barrel is a HELL of an incentive. I'm sure your daughters will NOT thank you profusely in a decade or so for supporting polluting tar sands at the "right" price. I think anyone that does figure that tar sands polluting is "okay" at the "right" price will soon be very sorry they did. But for now, I'm sure the lawyers from Kinder Morgan agree 100% with your "math".  Good luck with that.

you are superimposing my country's actions onto me personally. You use this technique regularly. My opinion was to provide insight into my country's views as I see them. You seem to be very passionate but poor at bridge building. I will leave you to your diatribes from now on.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #8997 on: April 12, 2018, 04:30:04 PM »

RE

you are superimposing my country's actions onto me personally. You use this technique regularly. My opinion was to provide insight into my country's views as I see them. You seem to be very passionate but poor at bridge building. I will leave you to your diatribes from now on.

I saw nothing in your post that communicated that you were not in agreement with the exploitation and marketing of tar sands oil at $110 a barrel. Also your post included some remarks that tried to justify it with the claim that money from this venture could help the aged. Finally, your term for those against the pipeline (i.e "crusaders") seems to imply, in your opinion, that their actions are quixotic and/or impractical. That is your post, not Canada's.

I KNOW the Canadian Governement is bought and paid for by the fossil fuel industry. I thought I made that crystal clear in my post. There is no need for you to repeat it or imply that is the case, simply because you live in Canada.

Sir, if you are against the tar sands pipeline, you have a very strange way of showing it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:43:14 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Kinder Morgan agrees with David B.
« Reply #8998 on: April 12, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
you are superimposing my country's actions onto me personally. You use this technique regularly. My opinion was to provide insight into my country's views as I see them.

There are some Diners who regularly like to attack others for the aggregate behavior of the country they live in, as though they individually are responsible for the actions of everyone else in the country.  Besides how much oil your country burns, this also includes the political "leaders" that get elected, who are not really the leaders, they are the followers of whoever is paying their campaign bills.  Diners cannot be blamed for the actions of the country they live in which they cannot change or control.  I am going to add a new rule to the CoC to cover this problem.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
you are superimposing my country's actions onto me personally. You use this technique regularly. My opinion was to provide insight into my country's views as I see them.

There are some Diners who regularly like to attack others for the aggregate behavior of the country they live in, as though they individually are responsible for the actions of everyone else in the country.  Besides how much oil your country burns, this also includes the political "leaders" that get elected, who are not really the leaders, they are the followers of whoever is paying their campaign bills.  Diners cannot be blamed for the actions of the country they live in which they cannot change or control.  I am going to add a new rule to the CoC to cover this problem.

RE

You are INCORRECTLY ASSUMING that David B. is correct in stating that I was "superimposing his country's actions onto him". I was NOT. I was answering HIS POST!

That is a gross misreprentation of what I said in my post. He has his drawers in a bunch and you decide to jump on me for it.  Shame on you.

You also completely MISSED David B.'s Ad Hominem fun and games by saying
"used the techniwue regularly" and claiming I engage in "diatribes". Thanks a lot, RE. Your capacity for objectivity has always been rather selective when you are lookin' out for yer pals. Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:05:10 PM by agelbert »
Faith,