AuthorTopic: Agelbert's Newz Channel  (Read 1544745 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #9225 on: June 17, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
I have the two turbines I bought from Mike after I took my turbine building course. I built one like my little one, and I helped build one like my bigger one, but I had Mike build the ones I bought. Experience is worth something. His simple designs have been proven. Nothing fancy, but plenty of them in service.

For wind, its a relatively easy job to build a turbine from commonly available stuff, if you can get magnets. I went for simple rather than high efficiency.

Sourcing and erecting a tower is a much bigger job, imho, than building a turbine. And with 9mph wind, it's more of a novelty here. But on some days in winter it would no doubt be nice to have a turbine spinning, even here. I have not ever gotten a tower up. Expensive, complicated job, usually requiring a crane. I've been shopping for a good tower deal forever.

I have a low wind Mallard LW built from a repurposed Delco car alternator, and a bigger Mallard SP80.

http://www.mikeswindmillshop.com/product/low-wind-mallard-lw

Nice! micro wind has been mostly destroyed by low cost solar. as mentioned the tower costs and maintenance make them non competitive except on the best wind sites. ...

True. As you said, the advantage a wind turbine could have over photovoltaic is strictly in places where there is a lot of pretty constant wind, particularly at night, I might add.

Great for boats.  Boat mounted turbines max out their performance when you're actually under sail, so its a little different than a land based turbine.

Wind generators really produce power when sailing on a reach. The wind coming off the main sail gets directed back to the wind generator at a higher wind speed causing the wind generator to produce power.

The coast here is windy enough to make them work at anchorage, but that isn't a given everywhere.

I had a hairbrained idea at one time that you could set up a vertical axis wind turbine on a boat that would be speed regulated by a "governor" (sort of like those steam engine governors that slow down or speed up with the centrifugal force of weights) type rotor assemply that would reduce wind exposure when the wind got too strong and increase it to max when the wind was weak. I fancied that the mast of this wind turbine would have to be REALLY strongly attached to the frame of the boat, simply because the gyroscopic effect would be fighting the rocking of the boat in normal seas, trying to tear it loose, all the time.

It was probably a bad idea but I enjoy those types of thought exercises, even if they never come to a hill of beans.  8)

Way back in the early years of the 20th Century an ocean liner owner got the bright idea to use giant gyroscopes bolted to the bottom inside base of the ocean liner so the ship would not rock in high seas. When the ship got into some rough seas, the huge and weighty gyroscopes (there were around four of them placed equidistantly along the bottom inside), each as tall as three humans, tore the bolts off. Those dadgum giant gyroscopes just did not wanna go where the ship was going.

Of course, that was the end of that idea.

I had a flight student that was an ocean liner officer. He invited me on board and showed me the bridge. Since he was learning to fly and knew the ship controls would interest me, he showed me how the "wings" of the ocean liner worked. The vanes under the water line are used to generate hydrodynamic "lift" up or down, like ailerons on an aircraft (vanes on the port side work opposite the vanes on the starboard side). He explained those vanes keep the liner from rocking much in rough seas. Let me tell you, they are not that small, even though they are much smaller relative to the ship body than aircraft wings are to a fuselage. Those vanes are very tough as well. If water/wave pressure from a surprise sea can tear off a ship's rudder, those hydrodynamic vanes need to be super strongly attached.

I guess that's the way they finally went when the gyroscope idea didn't work out. That was way back in 1970. I don't know if they still use "wings" under water to stabilize ocean liners.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:19:33 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #9226 on: June 17, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
I have the two turbines I bought from Mike after I took my turbine building course. I built one like my little one, and I helped build one like my bigger one, but I had Mike build the ones I bought. Experience is worth something. His simple designs have been proven. Nothing fancy, but plenty of them in service.

For wind, its a relatively easy job to build a turbine from commonly available stuff, if you can get magnets. I went for simple rather than high efficiency.

Sourcing and erecting a tower is a much bigger job, imho, than building a turbine. And with 9mph wind, it's more of a novelty here. But on some days in winter it would no doubt be nice to have a turbine spinning, even here. I have not ever gotten a tower up. Expensive, complicated job, usually requiring a crane. I've been shopping for a good tower deal forever.

I have a low wind Mallard LW built from a repurposed Delco car alternator, and a bigger Mallard SP80.

http://www.mikeswindmillshop.com/product/low-wind-mallard-lw

Nice! micro wind has been mostly destroyed by low cost solar. as mentioned the tower costs and maintenance make them non competitive except on the best wind sites. ...

True. As you said, the advantage a wind turbine could have over photovoltaic is strictly in places where there is a lot of pretty constant wind, particularly at night, I might add.

Great for boats.  Boat mounted turbines max out their performance when you're actually under sail, so its a little different than a land based turbine.

Wind generators really produce power when sailing on a reach. The wind coming off the main sail gets directed back to the wind generator at a higher wind speed causing the wind generator to produce power.

The coast here is windy enough to make them work at anchorage, but that isn't a given everywhere.

I had a hairbrained idea at one time that you could set up a vertical axis wind turbine on a boat that would be speed regulated by a "governor" (sort of like those steam engine governors that slow down or speed up with the centrifugal force of weights) type rotor assemply that would reduce wind exposure when the wind got too strong and increase it to max when the wind was weak. I fancied that the mast of this wind turbine would have to be REALLY strongly attached to the frame of the boat, simply because the gyroscopic effect would be fighting the rocking of the boat in normal seas, trying to tear it loose, all the time.

It was probably a bad idea but I enjoy those types of thought exercises, even if they never come to a hill of beans.  8)

Way back in the early years of the 20th Century an ocean liner owner got the bright idea to use giant gyroscopes bolted to the bottom inside base of the ocean liner so the ship would not rock in high seas. When the ship got into some rough seas, the huge and weighty gyroscopes (there were around four of them placed equidistantly along the bottom inside), each as tall as three humans, tore the bolts off. Those dadgum giant gyroscopes just did not wanna go where the ship was going.

Of course, that was the end of that idea.

I had a flight student that was an ocean liner officer. He invited me on board and showed me the bridge. Since he was learning to fly and knew the ship controls would interest me, he showed me how the "wings" of the ocean liner worked. The vanes under the water line are used to generate hydrodynamic "lift" up or down, like ailerons on an aircraft (vanes on the port side work opposite the vanes on the starboard side). He explained those vanes keep the liner from rocking much in rough seas. Let me tell you, they are not that small, even though they are much smaller relative to the ship body than aircraft wings are to a fuselage. Those vanes are very tough as well. If water/wave pressure from a surprise sea can tear off a ship's rudder, those hydrodynamic vanes need to be super strongly attached.

I guess that's the way they finally went when the gyroscope idea didn't work out. That was way back in 1970. I don't know if they still use "wings" under water to stabilize ocean liners.
I saw a documentary on cousteau on the Alcyone. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbosail
And I remember reading about rotor ships.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotor_ship
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Rotor Ships
« Reply #9227 on: June 17, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »
David B.:
I saw a documentary on cousteau on the Alcyone. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbosail
And I remember reading about rotor ships.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotor_ship

Yes, that magnus effect is a very real way of harvesting wind for propulsion quite efficiently. 

There are some ships now being fitted with rotor sails to harness wind as a supplement to the engines:

SNIPPET:

Types

Several types of rotor ships can be distinguished. Rotor sail-only ships exist, as do rotor sail-assist (hybrid) ships.[citation needed] Wind Ship Development Corporation has two types of sail-assist designs, for use with different sizes of ships.[2] In practice, most rotor ships have a system with an electric motor that allows the initial start and eventual stop of the rotor by crew.[citation needed] Rotor's rotational speed (i.e., RPM) and direction of spin can also be controlled.[citation needed]

Uses today

Rotor ship E-Ship 1, from German wind-turbine manufacturer Enercon

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HvXDVapHUkQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HvXDVapHUkQ&fs=1</a>

File:Points of sail for rotorships.svg

In 2014 Norsepower, a Finnish clean technology and engineering company pioneering the generation of renewable wind energy for the global maritime industry, announced that it will bring to the market the "Norsepower Rotor Sail Solution"[21] which is a completely modernized version of the Flettner rotor. Later in 2014 Norsepower installed the first Norsepower Rotor Sail on Finnish shipping company Bore's RoRo vessel M/V Estraden, and in the end of 2015 Norsepower installed a second similar unit on the same ship. In the beginning of 2016 it was released by Norsepower, that based on the successful sea trials on board M/V Estraden, the technology has potential for fuel savings of up to 20% for vessels with multiple, large rotors traveling on favourable wind routes.[22]

After Norsepower's success with the new design, also Viking Line returned with the rotor concept for their next planned newbuilding. The first image of a new 63,000 GT vessel shows large Flettner rotors which could help the ship to reduce fuel consumption with up to 15%. Letter of intent was signed for the ship in November 2016, awaiting final agreements signing in early 2017.[23] According to a Finnish newspaper, the rotor concept of Viking Line is based on Norsepower Rotor Sails.[24] The latest news from Norsepower is that they have agreed with world's biggest shipping company, Maersk, to start testing the rotor concept in Maersk ships starting beginning of 2018. The managing director of Norsepower, Tuomas Riski, promises their innovation to cut 7–10% of fuel cost leading up to 300000€ savings in big tankers.

In 2018, the MS Viking Grace was retrofitted with a rotor for further testing.[25]

Agelbert NOTE: The rotor is installed near the middle of the short video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GVdC2xHdFgE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GVdC2xHdFgE</a>

Read more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotor_ship
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Montana Court Agrees Yellowstone Gateway More Valuable Than Gold
« Reply #9228 on: June 17, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »

Thanks to Earthjustice litigation, a district court judge has ruled that state regulators illegally ignored impacts to water quality and wildlife when approving the exploratory drilling project.

By Jessica A. Knoblauch | May 30, 2018

Jessica is a former award-winning journalist. She enjoys wild places and dispensing justice, so she considers her job here to be a pretty amazing fit.

An access road for drilling rigs and heavy equipment would run through this landscape if two proposed mines are constructed near Yellowstone’s northern entrance. PHOTO COURTESY OF WILLIAM CAMPBELL

Sleeping bag, check. Bug spray, check. Backpack, check.

As people across the country eagerly prepare for their summer vacations, residents and businesses of Park County, Montana, are gearing up to greet them. As the northern gateway to Yellowstone National Park, the aptly named Paradise Valley is itself a destination.

Enjoyed by locals throughout the year, tourists flock to this area to enjoy the full array of the Yellowstone region’s iconic wildlife and magnificent landscapes and to catch a native cutthroat trout in the Yellowstone River’s blue-ribbon fishery. With a lot riding on the tourist season, one thing Park County locals shouldn’t have to worry about is a massive new gold mine driving away tourists. The likelihood of that happening is much less now that a district court has ordered Montana’s regulators to reconsider allowing intensive mineral exploration in the area.

Double Your Impact — Fund Critical Courtroom Fights!

Proposed in 2015 by Canada-based Lucky Minerals, mineral exploration is just the first step in the company’s plans to develop a large-scale gold mine in Paradise Valley that would cause irreversible environmental harm to the park and fray the economic fabric of the region. Travelers gazing at the majestic Emigrant Peak jutting up from the Absaroka Mountains—a refuge for bighorn sheep, elk, grizzly bears, wolverines, and other creatures—would be confronted with the destruction of an industrial mining operation.

But a blemished view of the cinematic Yellowstone landscape is just one of the problems anticipated with this proposal. At full scale, the Emigrant mine would threaten to send acid runoff flowing into tributaries of the Yellowstone River, while nearly 100,000 tons of waste rock containing elevated levels of arsenic would be dumped near tributary headwaters. Even mineral exploration alone threatens to pollute these waters with heavy metals and acid runoff.

Emigrant Gulch aerial view looking east from Emigrant Peak. Lucky Minerials has mine claims on both sides of the gulch on both private and public land. PHOTO COURTESY OF WILLIAM CAMPBELL

Mining and mineral exploration would also carve up precious habitat for endangered grizzly bears, which are already in peril after the U.S. Fish and Wildlife delisted the species in June 2017. (Earthjustice is challenging the agency’s decision.) Wolverines, lynx, elk and other species would also be harmed, as would the local community, which relies on large swaths of connected wildland to support sustainable recreation and a healthy tourist economy. Barreling ahead with gold mining and exploration for short-term financial gain could come at the expense of the primary driver of economic growth in the Yellowstone area: an intact landscape that attracts millions of visitors from around the globe and supports a diverse business community and highly skilled workforce.

Earthjustice, together with local and regional groups, challenged the gold exploration proposal in September 2017 under the Montana Environmental Policy Act (MEPA), arguing that state regulators 😈 downplayed and dismissed some very serious environmental risks posed by the project. Those include potentially long-term harm to the iconic wildlife of the Yellowstone region, particularly grizzly bears and wolverines, and threats to clean water 💧 in Yellowstone River tributaries. We also argued that the state didn’t seriously consider the potential that this exploration could lead to much larger-scale development. The court agreed with us on all of our claims.

Subscribe to Earthjustice emails, to learn more ways we’re working to defend public lands.

“The court’s ruling recognized that exploratory drilling is the leading edge of a much larger threat to these sensitive lands in Yellowstone’s gateway,” says Earthjustice attorney Jenny Harbine, who represented the groups. “We will continue our fight to stop Lucky’s plans to profit by placing our water, wildlife, and magnificent natural landscapes at risk.”  

Though this latest decision is a substantial victory, the fight is far from over. Lucky Minerals could insist on proceeding with gold exploration this summer while regulators conduct a new environmental analysis. If that happens, Earthjustice will go back to court to defend the park and all of its beauty from this short-sighted proposal.

An earlier version of this blog post was published in November 2016.

https://earthjustice.org/blog/2018-may/montana-court-agrees-yellowstone-gateway-more-valuable-than-gold
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Scapegoating Iran 😠
« Reply #9229 on: June 17, 2018, 06:55:48 PM »
Truthdig

JUN 10, 2018TD ORIGINALS

Scapegoating Iran 😠

By Chris Hedges

SNIPPET:

NEW YORK—Seventeen years of war in the Middle East and what do we have to show for it? Iraq after our 2003 invasion and occupation is no longer a unified country. Its once modern infrastructure is largely destroyed, and the nation has fractured into warring enclaves. We have lost the war in Afghanistan. The Taliban is resurgent and has a presence in over 70 percent of the country. Libya is a failed state. Yemen after three years of relentless airstrikes and a blockade is enduring one of the world’s worst humanitarian disasters. The 500 “moderate” rebels we funded and armed in Syria at a cost of $500 million are in retreat after instigating a lawless reign of terror. The military adventurism has cost a staggering $5.6 trillion as our infrastructure crumbles, austerity guts basic services and half the population of the United States lives at or near poverty levels. The endless wars in the Middle East are the biggest strategic blunder in American history and herald the death of the empire.

Someone has to be blamed for debacles that have resulted in hundreds of thousands of dead, including at least 200,000 civilians, and millions driven from their homes. Someone has to be blamed for the proliferation of radical jihadist groups throughout the Middle East, the continued worldwide terrorist attacks, the wholesale destruction of cities and towns under relentless airstrikes and the abject failure of U.S. and U.S.-backed forces to stanch the insurgencies. You can be sure it won’t be the generals, the politicians such as George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, the rabid neocons such as Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz and John Bolton who sold us the wars, the Central Intelligence Agency, the arms contractors who profit from perpetual war or the celebrity pundits on the airwaves and in newspapers who serve as cheerleaders for the mayhem.

“The failed policies, or lack of policies, of the United States, which violate international law, have left the Middle East in total chaos,” the Iranian ambassador to the United Nations, Gholamali Khoshroo, told me when we met in New York City. “The United States, to cover up these aggressive, reckless and costly policies, blames Iran. Iran is blamed for their failures in Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Lebanon.”

Full truth filled article:

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/scapegoating-iran/
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
The Arctic Temperature near the North Pole is too high.
« Reply #9230 on: June 18, 2018, 09:21:46 AM »

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/overlay=temp/orthographic=-63.17,84.63,545/loc=-169.856,85.598
Faith,

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Montana Court Agrees Yellowstone Gateway More Valuable Than Gold
« Reply #9231 on: June 18, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »

Thanks to Earthjustice litigation, a district court judge has ruled that state regulators illegally ignored impacts to water quality and wildlife when approving the exploratory drilling project.

Jessica is a former award-winning journalist. She enjoys wild places and dispensing justice, so she considers her job here to be a pretty amazing fit.

An access road for drilling rigs and heavy equipment would run through this landscape if two proposed mines are constructed near Yellowstone’s northern entrance. PHOTO COURTESY OF WILLIAM CAMPBELL

As people across the country eagerly prepare for their summer vacations, residents and businesses of Park County, Montana, are gearing up to greet them. As the northern gateway to Yellowstone National Park, the aptly named Paradise Valley is itself a destination.

Enjoyed by locals throughout the year, tourists flock to this area to enjoy the full array of the Yellowstone region’s iconic wildlife and magnificent landscapes and to catch a native cutthroat trout in the Yellowstone River’s blue-ribbon fishery. With a lot riding on the tourist season, one thing Park County locals shouldn’t have to worry about is a massive new gold mine driving away tourists. The likelihood of that happening is much less now that a district court has ordered Montana’s regulators to reconsider allowing intensive mineral exploration in the area.

Proposed in 2015 by Canada-based Lucky Minerals, mineral exploration is just the first step in the company’s plans to develop a large-scale gold mine in Paradise Valley that would cause irreversible environmental harm to the park and fray the economic fabric of the region. Travelers gazing at the majestic Emigrant Peak jutting up from the Absaroka Mountains—a refuge for bighorn sheep, elk, grizzly bears, wolverines, and other creatures—would be confronted with the destruction of an industrial mining operation.

But a blemished view of the cinematic Yellowstone landscape is just one of the problems anticipated with this proposal. At full scale, the Emigrant mine would threaten to send acid runoff flowing into tributaries of the Yellowstone River, while nearly 100,000 tons of waste rock containing elevated levels of arsenic would be dumped near tributary headwaters. Even mineral exploration alone threatens to pollute these waters with heavy metals and acid runoff.

Emigrant Gulch aerial view looking east from Emigrant Peak. Lucky Minerials has mine claims on both sides of the gulch on both private and public land. PHOTO COURTESY OF WILLIAM CAMPBELL

Mining and mineral exploration would also carve up precious habitat for endangered grizzly bears, which are already in peril after the U.S. Fish and Wildlife delisted the species in June 2017. (Earthjustice is challenging the agency’s decision.) Wolverines, lynx, elk and other species would also be harmed, as would the local community, which relies on large swaths of connected wildland to support sustainable recreation and a healthy tourist economy. Barreling ahead with gold mining and exploration for short-term financial gain could come at the expense of the primary driver of economic growth in the Yellowstone area: an intact landscape that attracts millions of visitors from around the globe and supports a diverse business community and highly skilled workforce.

Earthjustice, together with local and regional groups, challenged the gold exploration proposal in September 2017 under the Montana Environmental Policy Act (MEPA), arguing that state regulators 😈 downplayed and dismissed some very serious environmental risks posed by the project. Those include potentially long-term harm to the iconic wildlife of the Yellowstone region, particularly grizzly bears and wolverines, and threats to clean water 💧 in Yellowstone River tributaries. We also argued that the state didn’t seriously consider the potential that this exploration could lead to much larger-scale development. The court agreed with us on all of our claims.

Subscribe to Earthjustice emails, to learn more ways we’re working to defend public lands.

“The court’s ruling recognized that exploratory drilling is the leading edge of a much larger threat to these sensitive lands in Yellowstone’s gateway,” says Earthjustice attorney Jenny Harbine, who represented the groups. “We will continue our fight to stop Lucky’s plans to profit by placing our water, wildlife, and magnificent natural landscapes at risk.”  

Though this latest decision is a substantial victory, the fight is far from over. Lucky Minerals could insist on proceeding with gold exploration this summer while regulators conduct a new environmental analysis. If that happens, Earthjustice will go back to court to defend the park and all of its beauty from this short-sighted proposal.

https://earthjustice.org/blog/2018-may/montana-court-agrees-yellowstone-gateway-more-valuable-than-gold

Driving south into Yellowstone along the river is one of the more picturesque routes I've ever hd the pleasure of experiencing. And....it's on the Hot Spring Tour. I'm only sorry the pine beetles got there before I got to see it. The Yellowstone River flows due north. If you're from Texas, something doesn't seem right about that.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Tesla Model S Bursts Into Flames In West Hollywood — Is That News?
« Reply #9232 on: June 18, 2018, 10:32:58 AM »
Tesla Model S Bursts Into Flames 🔥 In West Hollywood — Is That News?

June 18th, 2018 by Steve Hanley

On June 15, Micheal Morris, a television director, was driving his Tesla Model S in West Hollywood, California, when another motorist warned him that smoke was coming from underneath his car. He pulled over and exited the vehicle. His wife, actress Mary McCormack, then took a video of the car as flames burst from underneath. She says the car was being driven normally in traffic and that Autopilot was not involved.

Lieutenant William Nash of the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Department told The Guardian that firefighters were called. They responded to the incident and quickly extinguished the flames. There were no injuries reported. Later, McCormack posted her video to her Twitter account.

Mary McCormack

@marycmccormack
 @Tesla This is what happened to my husband and his car today. No accident,out of the blue, in traffic on Santa Monica Blvd.  Thank you to the kind couple who flagged him down and told him to pull over. And thank god my three little girls weren’t in the car with him

11:44 PM - Jun 15, 2018
4,287 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Okay, some of you out there are asking, “Why is this news?” Good question. Here’s the answer: This is news because it is on the front page of The Guardian‘s US news feed at 6:30 am on a Sunday morning.

According to the National Fire Prevention Association, in 2015, there were 174,000 gasoline vehicle fires in America. 445 people died as a result of those fires, and 1,550 were injured. My trusty Radio Shack calculator says 174,000 fires translates into 476 per day. Yet none of those made The Guardian‘s news feed as far as we’ve seen. The news is: this fire made the news.

The reason this story made the news is because the media considers Tesla fires of significant interest to the community but ignores fires in conventional cars. Fear is a big motivator of human behavior. If people fear electric cars, they won’t buy them in the quantities needed to drive the EV revolution forward.

Don’t think for a minute traditional car companies 🐉🦕🦖 aren’t loving anything that will slow the progress of that revolution and do whatever they can 👹 to exploit such incidents whenever possible. Those folks buy hundreds of millions of dollars worth of advertising every year. What they say and do matters hugely to the people who receive all that money.

Elon Musk’s empire — and by extension the entire electric car movement — is like an airship kept aloft by the hopes and prayers of the faithful. If all those good feelings were to somehow evaporate, the whole thing could crashing down, and then we could all get back to buying battalions of pickup trucks from General Motors, Ford, and Dodge the way good Americans 🐉🦕🦖😈 are supposed to do. 

One bit of good news is that the fire department in West Hollywood was able to extinguish the blaze in short order without drama. Sometimes battery fires can take a long time to put out. In a statement, Tesla said this was “an extraordinarily unusual occurrence.” The company has begun an investigation.

Battery fires are scary and are one of the reasons why researchers around the world are working feverishly to develop solid-state batteries that will be less likely to overheat and catch fire. Perhaps one day, the news will be that there is no news about battery fires 🔥 or gasoline fires🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 to report.

The video from Mary McCormack is now available on YouTube, where it has garnered this snarky comment — “That car has Tesla’s proprietary flamethrower technology,😈 ” which is pretty darn funny when you think about it. That’s all the exploding battery news for today. We now return you to your regular programming, already in progress.

Editor’s note: I’d also add that this is news because almost everything Tesla does is news. People, and thus media agencies, are obsessed with Tesla. It is a fascinating and important company in many respects. Competitors are bitter about all the frivolous good press Tesla gets, while Elon Musk and Tesla are often upset about frivolous or misguided negative press Tesla gets. The bottom line is that Tesla gets a ton of press, so we can only expect both positive and negative.

Additionally, electric cars are still novel to many people and he market is growing fast. It would be much cooler if the press had the sense to more frequently and intelligently cover the 30 or so benefits of electric cars, but hey, unusual fires 🔥 get more clicks 😈. We knew that already.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/18/tesla-model-s-bursts-into-flames-in-la-is-that-news/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:04:42 AM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla Model S Bursts Into Flames In West Hollywood — Is That News?
« Reply #9233 on: June 18, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »

On June 15, Micheal Morris, a television director, was driving his Tesla Model S in West Hollywood, California, when another motorist warned him that smoke was coming from underneath his car. He pulled over and exited the vehicle. His wife, actress Mary McCormack, then took a video of the car as flames burst from underneath. She says the car was being driven normally in traffic and that Autopilot was not involved.

Lieutenant William Nash of the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Department told The Guardian that firefighters were called. They responded to the incident and quickly extinguished the flames. There were no injuries reported. Later, McCormack posted her video to her Twitter account.

Mary McCormack

@marycmccormack
 @Tesla This is what happened to my husband and his car today. No accident,out of the blue, in traffic on Santa Monica Blvd.  Thank you to the kind couple who flagged him down and told him to pull over. And thank god my three little girls weren’t in the car with him

Okay, some of you out there are asking, “Why is this news?” Good question. Here’s the answer: This is news because it is on the front page of The Guardian‘s US news feed at 6:30 am on a Sunday morning.

According to the National Fire Prevention Association, in 2015, there were 174,000 gasoline vehicle fires in America. 445 people died as a result of those fires, and 1,550 were injured. My trusty Radio Shack calculator says 174,000 fires translates into 476 per day. Yet none of those made The Guardian‘s news feed as far as we’ve seen. The news is: this fire made the news.

The reason this story made the news is because the media considers Tesla fires of significant interest to the community but ignores fires in conventional cars. Fear is a big motivator of human behavior. If people fear electric cars, they won’t buy them in the quantities needed to drive the EV revolution forward.

Don’t think for a minute traditional car companies 🐉🦕 🦖 aren’t loving anything that will slow the progress of that revolution and do whatever they can 👹 to exploit such incidents whenever possible. Those folks buy hundreds of millions of dollars worth of advertising every year. What they say and do matters hugely to the people who receive all that money.

Elon Musk’s empire — and by extension the entire electric car movement — is like an airship kept aloft by the hopes and prayers of the faithful. If all those good feelings were to somehow evaporate, the whole thing could crashing down, and then we could all get back to buying battalions of pickup trucks from General Motors, Ford, and Dodge the way good Americans 🐉🦕🦖😈 are supposed to do. 

One bit of good news is that the fire department in West Hollywood was able to extinguish the blaze in short order without drama. Sometimes battery fires can take a long time to put out. In a statement, Tesla said this was “an extraordinarily unusual occurrence.” The company has begun an investigation.

Battery fires are scary and are one of the reasons why researchers around the world are working feverishly to develop solid-state batteries that will be less likely to overheat and catch fire. Perhaps one day, the news will be that there is no news about battery fires 🔥or gasoline fires🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 to report.

The video from Mary McCormack is now available on YouTube, where it has garnered this snarky comment — “That car has Tesla’s proprietary flamethrower technology,😈 ” which is pretty darn funny when you think about it. That’s all the exploding battery news for today. We now return you to your regular programming, already in progress.

Editor’s note: I’d also add that this is news because almost everything Tesla does is news. People, and thus media agencies, are obsessed with Tesla. It is a fascinating and important company in many respects. Competitors are bitter about all the frivolous good press Tesla gets, while Elon Musk and Tesla are often upset about frivolous or misguided negative press Tesla gets. The bottom line is that Tesla gets a ton of press, so we can only expect both positive and negative.

Additionally, electric cars are still novel to many people and he market is growing fast. It would be much cooler if the press had the sense to more frequently and intelligently cover the 30 or so benefits of electric cars, but hey, unusual fires 🔥 get more clicks 😈. We knew that already.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/18/tesla-model-s-bursts-into-flames-in-la-is-that-news/

How soon they forget.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gKQ-U-rnLdo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gKQ-U-rnLdo&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:11:12 AM by agelbert »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: How soon they forget (see: Selective Amnesia Syndrome)
« Reply #9234 on: June 18, 2018, 10:55:48 AM »

Mary McCormack

@marycmccormack

Don’t think for a minute traditional car companies 🐉🦕🦖 aren’t loving anything that will slow the progress of that revolution and do whatever they can 👹 to exploit such incidents whenever possible. Those folks buy hundreds of millions of dollars worth of advertising every year. What they say and do matters hugely to the people who receive all that money.

Battery fires are scary and are one of the reasons why researchers around the world are working feverishly to develop solid-state batteries that will be less likely to overheat and catch fire. Perhaps one day, the news will be that there is no news about battery fires 🔥 or gasoline fires🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 to report.

How soon they forget.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gKQ-U-rnLdo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gKQ-U-rnLdo&fs=1</a>

Yep. It appears that they have approximately 175,000 (as of 2015) selective amnesia memory problems annually...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:12:02 AM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Yellowstone along the river is one of the more picturesque routes ...
« Reply #9235 on: June 18, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »

Driving south into Yellowstone along the river is one of the more picturesque routes I've ever hd the pleasure of experiencing. And....it's on the Hot Spring Tour. I'm only sorry the pine beetles got there before I got to see it. The Yellowstone River flows due north. If you're from Texas, something doesn't seem right about that

I've only seen Yellowstone in pictures. I am saddened by what is happening there now. The best times are behind us. :(

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
A Global Security System: an Alternative to War
« Reply #9236 on: June 18, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
STUDY WAR NO MORE 🕊

A Concerned Citizens Study & Action Guide for "A Global Security System: An Alternative to War"

(Discussion 7) Transition: From an Offensive to Defensive Posture

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltW_wXbDYXY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ltW_wXbDYXY&fs=1</a>

Get your copy!  💐

A Global Security System: an Alternative to War

The 2017 edition of A Global Security System: An Alternative to War (AGSS) is now available.

AGSS, World Beyond War’s effort to describe an alternative security system, is the primary resource for STUDY WAR NO MORE.

AGSS describes the “hardware” of creating a peace system, and the “software” — the values and concepts — necessary to operate a peace system and the means to spread these globally.

Read more and view more great videos:

http://globalsecurity.worldbeyondwar.org/discussion-7-transition-from-an-offensive-to-defensive-posture/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:59:16 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Humanitarian Boat Turned Away by Italy Arrives in Spain ✨
« Reply #9237 on: June 18, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »

Humanitarian Boat 🕊 Turned Away by Italy Arrives in Spain ✨

June 17, 2018 by Reuters

SNIPPET:

The Aquarius rescue ship arrives to port carrying 106 migrants in Valencia, Spain June 17, 2018. REUTERS/Heino Kalis

reuters logoBy Luis Felipe Fernandez and Jordi Rubio VALENCIA, Spain, June 17 (Reuters) – A migrant rescue boat turned away by Italy and Malta arrived at the Spanish port of Valencia on Sunday, ending a grueling voyage which has made it a symbol of Europe’s failure to agree on immigration.

Spain swooped to help 629 mainly sub-Saharan Africans on board the Aquarius last week after Italy’s new government, asserting its anti-immigrant credentials, refused to let it dock. Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, who took office two weeks ago, took the opportunity to show a more liberal stance.

But the plight of the Aquarius, run by Doctors Without Borders (MSF) with Franco-German charity SOS Mediterranee, highlighted the European Union’s failure to agree on how to manage the huge influx of people fleeing poverty and conflict.

In Valencia, officials in white protective suits and masks greeted the migrants as they debarked and police started identifying them and processing their information.

The Aquarius arrived carrying 106 people rescued from unstable boats near Libya. The others had been transferred to an Italian coast guard vessel and a ship belonging to the Italian navy to make the journey safer.

The coast guard boat was the first to arrive, docking in the eastern port with 274 on board just after dawn.

Shouts and singing erupted on the ship as the migrants on board saw Valencia on the horizon, Spanish journalist Gabriela Sanchez tweeted from another boat traveling alongside it.

A staff of 2,320, including volunteers, translators and health officials, were waiting on shore. Red Cross Secretary General Elhadj As Sy was also in Valencia for the arrival.

Related: Italy Cries ‘Victory’ as Spain Opens Port to Rescued Migrants

“This sad odyssey of the people on the Aquarius is another reminder that all people, regardless of their nationality or immigration status, should have access to basic assistance and protection,” Sy said in a statement.

“No human being is ‘illegal’, and people who need help should receive help,” added Sy.   

“CALM AND PLEASED”

Doctors Without Borders tweeted a photo of one of its team telling the people on board what they could expect.

“People are calm and pleased to be arriving in Spain,” the group said.

All seven pregnant women on board the ships will be immediately taken for check-ups, and all the arrivals, including 123 minors, will receive psychological help.

Full article:

http://gcaptain.com/humanitarian-boat-turned-away-by-italy-arrives-in-spain/
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Climate & Extreme 🌪 Weather News #125 (5th-13th June 2018)
« Reply #9238 on: June 19, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »

Climate & Extreme 🔥 🌩 💧 🌪 Weather News #125 (5th-13th June 2018)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XYM8xtazBZ0&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XYM8xtazBZ0&fs=1</a>

Understanding Climate Change

Published on Jun 13, 2018
00:27 Germany: Meiningen, Kaiserslautern & Dudeldorf flash floods
04:53 France: Bretuil, Chaponnay & Salies-de-Bearn flash floods
10:43 Bulgaria: Varna flash flood
11:02 Slovakia: Bratislava flash flood
11:29 Spain: Sitges flash flood
13:04 Italy: Bussoleno mudslide & Rosta hailstorm/flash flood
17:20 Slovenia: Crnomelj hailstorm
18:56 Austria: Neunkinchen flash flood
19:52 China: Typhoon Ewiniar & Guangdong floods
22:39 India: Northern storms
23:06 Bangladesh: Floods
24:10 Mexico: Guadalajara & Papantla flash floods
28:11 Panama: Panama City flash flood
29:01 The USA: The 416 Wildfire
30:28 New Zealand: North Island storm
30:59 Temp Data: inc. C3S May, June anomalies & anomaly forecasts
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution

"IT'S A SCAM!!!" Senator Sheldon Whitehouse's BRILLIANT Takedown of the Koch Brothers🦕🦖 & Donald Trump 🦀

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YYH3xrAt-lo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YYH3xrAt-lo&fs=1</a>

Dose of Dissonance

Published on Apr 24, 2018

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse delivers a fiery speech on the corrupting influence of "creepy billionaires!" BUY TRUMP TOILET PAPER! http://amzn.to/2Fe08tb (Affiliate Link)

Support Dose of Dissonance's mission @ https://www.patreon.com/DoseofDissonance
Faith,