AuthorTopic: Agelbert's Newz Channel  (Read 1683945 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Singapore’s ‘Hazepocalypse’ makes some see more clearly
« Reply #915 on: July 02, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »
Singapore’s ‘Hazepocalypse’ makes some see more clearly

Posted by Graham_Land in Pollution, 21 Jun 2013

Perhaps the best way to get people concerned about deforestation is to take away their ability to breathe.  :icon_mrgreen:  The citizens of Singapore know all about that. Due to forest fires in neighboring Indonesia, the Southeast Asian city-state is currently blanketed in a smoky haze – and it’s not the first time.

Nice sunsets – A silver lining?

Hazepocalypse, as it’s being referred to this time around, has broken the previous record for poor air quality set back in 1997. The pollutant standards index has hit 371, absolutely shattering ‘97’s paltry 226.

The culprit? Illegal slash and burn agriculture in Indonesia, mostly carried out by corporations (some of them Singapore and Malaysia-based) invested in the palm oil industry. Usually the victims are poor villagers, indigenous tribes, orangutans, tigers and the trees themselves. You know, individuals without smart phones and wifi connections.

But now they’ve messed with the wrong folks and Singapore’s netizens have unleashed a torrent (and not a bit torrent) of online rage against the haze, the palm oil industry and the Indonesian government. Just check out the #sghaze Twitter feed for proof. I wrote more about the online aspect of Hazepocalypse here, albeit before the new record for shitty air quality had been broken. Now things have gone nuclear.

Perhaps spurred on by the online fury, Singapore’s government has also started talking tough, also online, funnily enough. Singapore’s Environment Minister Vivian Balakrishnan wrote this on his Facebook page:

This is now the worst haze that Singapore has ever faced. No country or corporation has the right to pollute the air at the expense of Singaporeans’ health and wellbeing.

(source: Associated Press)

Personally, what gets to me more than images of a hazy Southeast Asian city are these
photos in the Guardian of an illegal wildlife market in Aceh, Indonesia, which is also a product of deforestation, along with poor rule of law, human greed and cruelty. Then again I don’t have to live in Singapore and choke on smoke.

Read more about Asia’s illegal wildlife trade here. (go to link at end of article)

Next time a large corporation tells you they “care”, whether it’s about people, animals or the environment in general, don’t buy it. And don’t buy their bloody, smoky, exploitative junk either.

Tags: deforestation, hazepocalypse, singapore haze

http://www.greenfudge.org/2013/06/21/singapores-hazepocalypse-makes-some-see-more-clearly/
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
15-year-old has invented a flashlight powered by heat in your hand!
« Reply #916 on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:59 PM »
15-year-old creates flashlight that runs on body heat

By Sarah Laskow

A very impressive 15-year-old from Victoria, Canada, has invented a flashlight that could free us all from the tyranny of AA batteries. It runs on the power of your body heat.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9CCGUMkcbjg#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9CCGUMkcbjg#&fs=1</a>

Full story here:

http://grist.org/list/15-year-old-creates-flashlight-that-runs-on-body-heat/

I image the Eveready Battery Company/Energizer isn't too thrilled about this invention.
Energizer is the world's largest manufacturer of batteries and flashlights, producing more than six billion battery cells annually.

http://www.t-n.com/magazine-spring04-light.htm
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Earthquakes - Predicting the BIG ONE
« Reply #917 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »
Earthquakes: predicting the ‘big one’

Humans have believed that animals can predict earthquakes for thousands of years. I mean the human belief that earthquakes can be predicted by animals has been held for thousands of years – just in case you thought I was saying that animals might be able to forecast seismic activity a thousand years into the future.

I’m glad we got that straightened out. Anyway, despite observations of animals fleeing the scene prior to a destructive quake since the Ancient Greeks saw rats, snakes and weasels leave Helice before that place was flattened, no real evidence was found for this amazing animal behavior.

Not until 2009, when scientists documented toads stopping producing eggs and completely abandoning the city of L’Aquila, Italy days before an earthquake struck.

Too bad toads can’t speak English – or Italian for that matter, which would have been extremely useful in Italy.

One man, former Soviet geophysicist Vladimir Keilis-Borok, once predicted a very damaging earthquake in California. Then-Soviet Premier Gorbachev even warned then US President Reagan about it at the time.

Interesting full story here. Check out the comment link about putting heart rate monitors on certain animals so when the rate goes above the target rate for enough of them simultaneously, a possible earthquaqe is on the way (Sheep ranchers now get a computer generated text message from sheep heart rate monitors when wolves are near):

http://www.greenfudge.org/2012/07/11/earthquakes-predicting-the-big-one/
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
World's Most Evil and Lawless Institution?
« Reply #918 on: July 02, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »

World's Most Evil and Lawless Institution? The Executive Branch of the U.S. Government

by Fred Branfman
July 01, 2013

If you have a weak stomach, do not read this:   

http://www.wagingpeace.org/articles/db_article.php?article_id=494

SNIPPET

And I found myself particularly reflecting on the question I found most troubling of all: beyond the issue of lawless and heartless American leaders, what does it say about my species as a whole that the most powerful could so torment the weakest for so long with virtually no one else knowing or caring? I was anguished not only about this extreme form of mass murder, but what it implied about humanity. :(
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
"OK, ENOUGH YOU LITTLE SHITS", in Gorilla body language. LOL!
« Reply #919 on: July 02, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8aqDoPDgjco#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8aqDoPDgjco#&fs=1</a>

How to say, "OK ENOUGH YOU LITTLE SHITS." in Gorilla language.

Full story here:
http://grist.org/list/watch-a-gorilla-lose-his-cool-with-a-bunch-of-bullying-kids/

SNIPPET

Ah … never have the frightened screams of a child been so satisfying. If only all of nature were 300 pounds and angry.
Faith,

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Acquitted! Activist Who Faced 13 Years in Prison Gets Off Free!
« Reply #920 on: July 03, 2013, 03:34:00 AM »
Acquitted! Activist Who Faced 13 Years in Prison for Chalking Anti-Bank Slogans Gets Off Free

Occupy-inspired protester Jeff Olson faced 13 years in jail for drawing chalk slogans outside Bank of America branches in California.
Story here:
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/activist-prosecuted-drawing-anti-bank-america-slogans-gets-free

SNIPPET
He was prosecuted for drawing chalk slogans outside Bank of America locations from April to August 2012 that read, “Shame on B of A” and “No thanks big banks.” He also drew a picture of an octopus reaching for dollar bills.

Will be sure to include this update in next week's TWTWID. Interesting that the Mayor wanted no part of the case, but the prosecutor brought it at B of A's urging.

Fascists.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
What Turtle Island thinks about the Fourth of July...
« Reply #921 on: July 03, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »

Not MY Birthday!  :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:28:23 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 04, 2013, 04:34:48 AM »
Acquitted! Activist Who Faced 13 Years in Prison for Chalking Anti-Bank Slogans Gets Off Free

Occupy-inspired protester Jeff Olson faced 13 years in jail for drawing chalk slogans outside Bank of America branches in California.
Story here:
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/activist-prosecuted-drawing-anti-bank-america-slogans-gets-free

SNIPPET
He was prosecuted for drawing chalk slogans outside Bank of America locations from April to August 2012 that read, “Shame on B of A” and “No thanks big banks.” He also drew a picture of an octopus reaching for dollar bills.

Will be sure to include this update in next week's TWTWID. Interesting that the Mayor wanted no part of the case, but the prosecutor brought it at B of A's urging.

Fascists.

I get the limitation on free speech arguments here, in theory, but I don't get how this could possibly be constitutional:

"Olson faced 13 years in jail for drawing the chalk slogan, and also faced the possibility of a $13,000 fine--an unusually harsh punishment for graffiti."

What happened to the 8th amendment?

Offline Jaded Prole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
    • Partisan Press
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #923 on: July 04, 2013, 05:03:44 AM »
It was a good idea -- once
inalienable rights and the abolition
of tyranny but
we've mucked it up, this great
American Experiment
our own inbred aristocracy madder
that noon-baked Englishmen with
crimes and usurpations running amok,
torn bodies and new hatreds in every
casbah, tentacles
in every pocket
an ear on every conversation and a
knife at every throat
and we wage slave
descendants of the free
the not so free
sinking in the refuse of yesterday's bargains
punch clocked and jackbooting our way
to the fossil record at the speed of credit
with no payments 'till January --
a toxic spoor of ruined
places, broken lives and gulags.

We had a bad run but it's time
to come clean,
to admit our failure to
examine the bloody Manifest
of our imagined Destiny.

Time to Repent
for mass graves and wars of false premise,
for all those dictators -- our murky turkeys lurking
in every hot satrapy with trained goons keeping
bloody order and a quota of disappeared.

Time to admit
it was all a mistake
made in the bravado of our youth and
rejoin the Commonwealth
Stop seeing stars and turn in our
bloody stripes
be British again
take tea and healthcare claim
our place
lordless
in the house of commons where
Empire is only a memory
best forgotten.

Consider celebrating Interdependence Day instead, because we are.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #924 on: July 04, 2013, 06:30:14 AM »

Story here:

SNIPPET

Fascists.

I get the limitation on free speech arguments here, in theory, but I don't get how this could possibly be constitutional:

"Olson faced 13 years in jail for drawing the chalk slogan, and also faced the possibility of a $13,000 fine--an unusually harsh punishment for graffiti."

What happened to the 8th amendment?

Ashvin, I would be interested to know your opinion on how "the limitation on free speech" applies, why the defense could not even utter the words. Although I understand that a judge has wide discretion in framing how the case may presented, and other wise shaping the outcome. I am probably wrong but I thought the judge's ruling might had provided a basis for appeal had there been a conviction?

This fits a pattern of overreaching prosecution of activists for punitive purposes, which has been followed all over the country. In many judges' hands, these prosecutions are dismissed in the name of CFS, but in this case it took a jury.

Your eighth amendment is cooling its heels in Gitmo with all the others except the second.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #925 on: July 04, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »
It was a good idea -- once
inalienable rights and the abolition
of tyranny but
we've mucked it up, this great
American Experiment
our own inbred aristocracy madder
that noon-baked Englishmen with
crimes and usurpations running amok,
torn bodies and new hatreds in every
casbah, tentacles
in every pocket
an ear on every conversation and a
knife at every throat
and we wage slave
descendants of the free
the not so free
sinking in the refuse of yesterday's bargains
punch clocked and jackbooting our way
to the fossil record at the speed of credit
with no payments 'till January --
a toxic spoor of ruined
places, broken lives and gulags.

We had a bad run but it's time
to come clean,
to admit our failure to
examine the bloody Manifest
of our imagined Destiny.

Time to Repent
for mass graves and wars of false premise,
for all those dictators -- our murky turkeys lurking
in every hot satrapy with trained goons keeping
bloody order and a quota of disappeared.

Time to admit
it was all a mistake
made in the bravado of our youth and
rejoin the Commonwealth
Stop seeing stars and turn in our
bloody stripes
be British again
take tea and healthcare claim
our place
lordless
in the house of commons where
Empire is only a memory
best forgotten.

WOW JP...you make me sound like a drooling optimist :icon_mrgreen:

I see this was your 56th comment although I've never seen you before.  You must of got here before me, commented some, and then left? 

Whatever the case...you should comment more cause that's some damn fine poetry my man (not to assume you are male...but that's my assumption based on your poem).  I also have the feeling that you are a genXer or a millennial and not one of these old crusty farts.  Is that true? 

Interdependence day indeed.  Although that's nothing new.  That is just the nature of the human experiment.  Everything is interdependent...this is a basic tenet in Buddhism I know. 

Maybe you haven't heard about the Foxstead.  You should help.  Everybody needs some hope.  I mean we're on the deck of the Titanic here.  There's a few of us huddled up at the highest point trying to figure out how the fuck we're going to survive this wreck.  I'm not goin' in that freezin' ass ocean water...nor is my family.  So we've got to figure out what the fuck will float and keep our souls from experiencing hypothermia until we can find some land to grow food on. 

Offline Jaded Prole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
    • Partisan Press
« Reply #926 on: July 04, 2013, 06:53:38 AM »
Thanks. I'm a crusty old fart as well as being a poet and trouble making writer.
 I've been lurking more than posting for a while due to other distractions and involvements and while I'm not
a doomer -- I'm probably and sure as the rest that we are toast. I just hate to make it a self-fulfilling prophesy
and struggle for that thing hair of hope that enough of us can make a change. I ain't going down without a fight.

"Everything is interdependent..."
That's the point. Until enough of us get it, we are doomed indeed.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #927 on: July 04, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »

"Everything is interdependent..."
That's the point. Until enough of us get it, we are doomed indeed.

Doesn't that realization sort of make you a Doomer?

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »
Ashvin, I would be interested to know your opinion on how "the limitation on free speech" applies, why the defense could not even utter the words. Although I understand that a judge has wide discretion in framing how the case may presented, and other wise shaping the outcome. I am probably wrong but I thought the judge's ruling might had provided a basis for appeal had there been a conviction?

I imagine the judge found that any 1st amendment speech defense would be invalid as a matter of law, and therefore allowing it to go to the jury would just lead to confusion and prejudice. Even if it went to the jury and it found the city's law unconstitutional, the judge would be forced to set aside that determination.

I believe this guy was charged with defacement of private property and vandalism. Vandalism has clearly been ruled to be unprotected speech.

The state can also limit the time, place and manner of speech in public areas if the restriction is content-neutral, narrowly tailored to serve an important govt interest, and leaves open alternative channels for speech. So a law banning graffiti on public sidewalks would pass that review, as long as it banned all graffiti and not just certain categories of speech.

However, if the otherwise neutral graffiti law is actually being applied in a discriminatory way, i.e. it can be proven the police/prosecutors are only targeting graffiti with certain messages (anti-bank stuff), then I think the defense could show a 1st amendment constitutional violation. That's probably what's going on here.

Your eighth amendment is cooling its heels in Gitmo with all the others except the second.

Apparently, the 8A prohibition against "excessive fines" is one of the VERY few constitutional protections that hasn't been made applicable to the states via the 14A...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:11:13 AM by Ashvin »

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Jaded Prole said
« Reply #929 on: July 04, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »

Faith,