PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Agelbert's Newz Channel

AuthorTopic: Agelbert's Newz Channel  (Read 1089265 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #1995 on: January 17, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »
MKing says about CH4
It is one of the more useful molecules out there in the long run,

Sure, from YOUR rather narrow definition of "useful" (It's a hydrocarbon!). 

But in the BIOSPHERE that we all depend on, THE most useful molecule in the hydrocarbon pantheon is this one:

Ethylene: The Ripening Hormone

http://postharvest.tfrec.wsu.edu/pages/PC2000F

Ethylene causes fruit to ripen and plants to die on schedule so they can  be recycled into the biosphere. In short it is key to the life cycle of all earthlings. Now THAT is REALLY useful! So you see, I DO recognize that there is ONE hydrocarbon that we really need AS LONG AS WE DON'T BURN IT! :sunny:

C2H4 (Ethylene)

Some products produced by ethylene that fossil fuelers and other LIVING BEINGS NEED   :icon_mrgreen:

My favorite HYDROCARBON! :icon_sunny:

What!? You mean to tell me Agelbert, the quixotic crusader against fossil fuel folly in all its poisonous and biosphere trashing forms has some hydrocarbon love? ???  :icon_scratch:

YEP!  :icon_mrgreen:

Back when I was trying to get through pre-med in the daytime while I worked as a computer analyst in the FAA at night (I was promoted from air traffic control to Automation) I took Botany, one of many biology courses the curriculum required. 

Botany was a lot of fun. I learned how they keep grapes from having seeds in them (Gibberrelins) and all sorts of interesting facts about plant biochemistry. But the story of the orange grove fruit warehouses in Florida in the early 20th century was one I liked especially because it is a great example of the scientific method in action. Read on. 8)

The vast orange groves in Florida around 1910 had giant warehouses where picked fruit would be stored while they reached the proper stage of ripeness before shipping them to markets. The oranges are picked nearly full size and still green. They are tough at that stage and not easily bruised by the picking process.

The crop is stored in heated warehouses to finish the ripening process. The oranges, as they ripen, obtain their pretty orange color. The fruit expands somewhat and becomes more fragile but, since they already have them packed in bags or crates ready for shipping, they get to markets pretty well unscathed.

Well, around 1910, the orange growers were sold on electrification of their orange ripening warehouses. They had hitherto used kerosene heaters which sometimes caused a warehouse to burn down and they liked the idea of controlling the temperature within a few degrees to fine tune the ripening process. Boy, were they in for an unpleasant surprise!  :o

They spent small fortunes in electrifying the warehouses with lights and elecric space heaters. The picking season came and they happily picked the crop and stored it in the new and improved hot shot electric heater warehouses. They waited for the oranges to ripen, fill out and turn orange in color. And waited. And waited. Those silly, stubborn oranges refused to ripen! They stayed hard and green.
WTF!!? ???

A bright bulb among the growers, all of whom had ALWAYS believed (wrongly) that HEAT is what makes fruit ripen, stated that there must have been something besides heat in those old kerosene heaters that made the fruit ripen.

They got a team of scientists to do some experiments with green oranges with and without kerosene heaters at various temperatures and the oranges exposed to the kerosene heaters DID ripen as they always had before irrespective of temperature. Next they identified all the products of combustion of the long chained hydrocarbon called kerosene.

We all know when you burn (oxidize) a hydrocarbon, you get CO2 + H2O. But that is ONLY if you have COMPLETE combustion. A kerosene heater, as many family tragedies can attest to, puts out lots of INCOMPLETE combustion products like CO (carbon monoxide) that will kill you quickly and quietly.

But there is another product of incomplete combustion that burning kerosene puts out. It's called Ethylene. 

This tiny molecule is a miracle of plant biochemistry. The scientists determined that ethylene was making the oranges ripen! So the growers had to put the kerosene heaters back in.

Well, they got electric lights out of the deal and plant science took a giant step forward so everything worked out for the best.  :emthup: :icon_mrgreen:

The obvious follow up question is, where does the ethylene, now defined as a plant ripening hormone, come from when the oranges ripen on the tree? :dontknow: From the orange as long as it is connected to the tree when it turns color. Henceforth, whether on the tree or off it, the orange itself keeps putting out ethylene until it rots in preparation for the orange seeds to grow.  Pretty neat, huh? :sunny:

This was a revolutionary development in botany in general and fruit growing in particular. The study of plant hormones grew explosively from that point and many mysteries were (and still are being) solved about how these miraculous photosynthetic life forms function.

What is so amazing to me is that such a simple molecule can do so much. Have you ever put bananas on top of a bowl of fruit containing apples in the bottom? Sure, everyone has. Have you noticed how fast those bananas get overripe when they are on top of apples? YEP, ripe apples are one of the highest ethylene producers out there! :o Those bananas produce much less but when the added apple ethylene whacks them, here come the brown spots!  :P

Unless you are going to eat the above bananas TODAY, this is a No No! The bananas will ripen too fast!  :emthdown:  Set them a few feet away and they will keep longer. :emthup: :icon_sunny:
So now you know that, if you have a well ventilated area and happen to have brought some green bananas from the store that you are worried about "going bad" before ripening or just refusing to turn yellow as sometimes happens, get a small hurricane kerosene lamp and put it in the vicinity of the bananas and I guarantee you they will ripen. You can impress your spouse with your botany smarts. :icon_mrgreen:

Behold, the humble ethylene molecule, my favorite hydrocaron.

Ethylene (IUPAC name: ethene) is a hydrocarbon with the formula C2H4 or H2C=CH2. It is a colorless flammable gas with a faint "sweet and musky" odor when pure.[3] It is the simplest alkene (a hydrocarbon with carbon-carbon double bonds), and the simplest unsaturated hydrocarbon after acetylene (C2H2).

Ethylene is widely used in chemical industry, and its worldwide production (over 109 million tonnes in 2006) exceeds that of any other organic compound.[4][5] Ethylene is also an important natural plant hormone, used in agriculture to force the ripening of fruits.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene

Test on monday!  :whip:  :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:40:06 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
 17 Jan 2014 10:00 AM 

Big green groups demand an end to Obama’s “all of the above” energy strategy

By John Upton

Leading environmental groups are telling President Barack Obama that it’s time to drop his climate-screwing “all of the above” energy strategy, which promotes rampant drilling and mining of fossil fuels as well as green alternatives.

Eighteen groups sent a letter to Obama on Thursday, pointing out that his strategy “fails to prioritize clean energy and solutions that have already begun to replace fossil fuels,” and arguing that it’s “a compromise that future generations can’t afford.” The signers include the Sierra Club, League of Conservation Voters, National Wildlife Federation, Oceana, Environmental Defense Fund, and Natural Resources Defense Council. Here’s more from the letter:

We believe that continued reliance on an “all of the above” energy strategy would be fundamentally at odds with your goal of cutting carbon pollution and would undermine our nation’s capacity to respond to the threat of climate disruption. With record-high atmospheric carbon concentrations and the rising threat of extreme heat, drought, wildfires and super storms, America’s energy policies must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, not simply reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

We understand that the U.S. cannot immediately end its use of fossil fuels and we also appreciate the advantages of being more energy independent. But an “all of the above” approach that places virtually no limits on whether, when, where or how fossil fuels are extracted ignores the impacts of carbon-intense fuels and is wrong for America’s future. America requires an ambitious energy vision that reduces consumption of these fuels in order to meet the scale of the climate crisis.

And here’s more commentary from Trip Van Noppen, president of Earthjustice, another group that signed the letter:

In addition, “all of the above” leaves the American people holding the bag of drinking water contamination in our communities, crude oil pipeline bursts in our neighborhoods, toxic chemicals in our air, fracking groundwater accidents across the nation, oil spills in our precious Arctic waters and in our seafood-rich Gulf, carcinogenic dumping in our community waters, mountaintop removal across the Appalachians, historic coal ash spills, and more.  >:( :P

The letter coincides with a new campaign by gas and oil interests that aims to push Obama in the opposite direction. The Washington Post reports:

The American Petroleum Institute announced a new advertising and electoral campaign that will promote domestic oil and gas production.  >:(  :P At the same time, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) asked the Government Accountability Office to determine whether the Senate can use the Congressional Review Act to reverse a proposed rule to limit carbon emissions from new power plants.  >:(

The new pressure from both sides — one demanding that President Obama reconcile his commitment to fight climate change with his other energy policies, the other pushing him to scale back environmental regulation — could have an impact on critical permitting decisions on issues ranging from the Keystone XL pipeline to natural gas exports and federal coal leases.

The environmental groups’ initiative was perhaps more surprising, given their long support of Obama’s efforts to combat climate change.

This conflict isn’t just happening at the national level. California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) has been a leader in calling for climate action, yet he is a strong supporter of fracking for oil and gas. On Tuesday, environmental groups delivered to Brown what they say are messages from more than 100,000 Californians opposing fracking.

John Upton is a science fan and green news boffin who tweets, posts articles to Facebook, and blogs about ecology. He welcomes reader questions, tips, and incoherent rants: johnupton@gmail.com.

http://grist.org/news/big-green-groups-demand-an-end-to-obamas-all-of-the-above-energy-strategy
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Letter from Beijing: Pollution turns out to be great leveler in China’s capital
« Reply #1997 on: January 18, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
Letter from Beijing: Pollution turns out to be great leveler in China’s capital

January 17

By Stuart Leavenworth

McClatchy Foreign Staff

BEIJING — Even before the sun started to rise Thursday over this megalopolis of 21 million people, I could sense it would be a miserable lung day. The apartment where my wife and I were staying seemed smoky – even though we don’t smoke. Out the window, the lights from nearby skyscrapers were enveloped in a gray cloud.

When the sun rose, it was obvious – Beijing’s “airpocalypse” had returned. I could barely see the 4th Ring Road, the freeway that hums with cars and trucks just 100 yards from our building. Checking an app, I saw that particulate levels in Beijing had soared above 670 micrograms per cubic meter, or about 26 times higher than the World Health Organization considers safe.

China has many challenges, but air pollution is one that, if left unaddressed, will surely trip up its economic growth, kill its people and derail the Communist Party’s policy of “opening up” to the world. Tourism in Beijing has dropped from a year ago, at least partly because of worldwide publicity about smog. A recent study estimated that the average life expectancy in North China had dropped by 5.5 years because of air pollution generated by coal power production.

Last year, Beijing-like bouts of smog spread across the eastern and northern parts of the country, smothering cities such as Shanghai, whose residents thought they were immune. Wealthy Chinese now regularly schedule “lung-cleaning trips,” with Thailand’s Phuket Island and Indonesia’s Bali as top destinations, according to Chinese tourism authorities.

It is not as if China doesn’t recognize the threat. The government says it has pledged to spend $1.7 billion yuan ($281 million) by 2017 to tackle air pollution. Local governments have closed factories, fined polluters and even closed freeways on days when the smog is dangerous or “beyond index.”

The official position is that the problem is caused primarily by weather inversions, auto emissions and coal burning (industrial and residential), and all that is true. Yet as a country where there is little rule of law, China has no comprehensive system of monitoring, permitting and regulating sources of air pollution. Unlike most environmental agencies in the United States, it can’t track a pollution problem back to its source or sources and correct it.             

On Thursday, I noticed the recommendation by the U.S. Embassy in China that people stay indoors and avoid any strenuous activity. But I didn’t have that option, and neither did millions of other working people here. I had interviews lined up on stories, and properties to inspect in our search for a permanent apartment. And so I set forth to the subway, wearing my N-95 face mask for the first time during our first week in Beijing.

By the time I reached the central business district and started exiting the subway, I felt dizzy. I grabbed the handrail to steady myself. I drank some water, felt better and then walked a few blocks to where I was meeting my assistant, Tiantian. By then, my mask was already speckled with soot.

As the day went on, the pollution decreased, but I could feel the effects of the cumulative exposure. My chest felt heavy, my throat was raspy and my nose was runny all afternoon. I walked through Ritan Park, where elegant older women were dancing, some wearing face masks.

I have little doubt that China will eventually clean up its air, and little doubt the government could accelerate the cleanup with a sustained commitment.

Yet China and elements of its state-controlled media still suffer from denial when it comes to air pollution. Last month, during a major smog bout outside of Beijing, a story on the website of China Central Television listed five benefits of the air pollution problem:

1. It unifies the Chinese people. 

2. It makes China more equal. 

3. It raises citizen awareness of the cost of China’s economic development.

4. It makes people funnier. 

5. It makes people more knowledgeable (of things like meteorology and the English word haze).

I feel more equal already.  

Leavenworth became McClatchy’s Beijing bureau chief earlier this month. Email: sleavenworth@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @sleavenworth

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/17/4759268/letter-from-beijing-pollution.html#storylink=cpy

Agelbert NOTE: The fossil fuelers in China have the same problem they have all over the world; they CANNOT envision a world where GDP growth DOESN'T track fossil fuel burning growth. With that attitude, the only GROWTH industries they are going to get are CANCER treatment and pollution filtering devices.

China's leaders are willfully blinding themselves simply because they BELIEVE in the "glory" of predatory capitalism and KNOW GOD DAMNED GOOD AND WELL that the smog will kill the poor and middle class who can't afford protection FIRST. This is EXTERNALIZING costs on STEROIDS. It is DIVIDING the people, not "unifying" them.

They will learn, as we will, the HARD way. Reality is a bitch for these ORWELLIAN circular logic bullshit artists. Fossil fuels are POISON, not prosperity. But the death worshippers at Wall Street are probably salivating at all the profits to be had from the face mask and anti-pollution filtration equipment on the cars and houses of the wealthy! After, all, THEY are the ony ones that COUNT because THE RICH, being such HARD WORKING (i.e. money grabbing) folks, can afford the COMFORT (i.e. survival of the "fittest" -> meanest, cruelest, conscience free bastards) that fossil fuel caused GDP GROWTH (i.e. pollution poisons) REQUIRES.   

January 2015 MKing Corporation outdoor clothing style catalog for the Chinese people that COUNT  :evil4:*

Newest luxury back pack mixes Oxycontin with oxygen for a "spiritual" experience while watching giant traffic jams through your megapixel IR viewer.  :icon_mrgreen:

*Raising visor in photo is for demonstration purposes only and  is not recommended outdoors. Raising visor outdoors may result in coverage cancellation of the Executive Golden Parachute Viper Cradle to Grave Comprehensive Total Coverage  Health Insurance Plan.  :evil4:

MKING APEX PREDATOR CLOTHING LLC All Rights Rapaciously Reserved.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:49:42 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #1998 on: January 18, 2014, 03:06:34 PM »
MKing's  Mephistophisy of "life" (see Orwell  ) :

WHY?  :icon_scratch:  Let me guess.  Underdeveloped Amygdala?  

"In healthy people, visual cortical activation in response to fearful faces is boosted by feedback modulation from the amygdala," the researchers say. It's odd how this tiny almond shaped region in the brain can change a persons sense of morality just by being underdeveloped or deformed. The amygdala processes people's response to images of fear or horror, so its it's easy to see how an irregular amygdala is present in all psycopaths.

https://sites.google.com/site/psychologyofpsychopaths2a/how-are-psychopaths-brains-different/role-of-the-amygdala

Cheer up. Mking. It's possible that it's not your fault that you just don't give a fuck about anyone but yourself.  But I would STILL want to keep your influence on society limited to the confines of a rather small secure area. :icon_mrgreen:

MKing's meter:

That Strunted Amygala is an amazingly EFFECTIVE anti-give a fucktant!

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #1999 on: January 18, 2014, 03:45:38 PM »

Cheating, Gambling, Ecstasy, Drunken Benders and Other (Kinda WTF) Nuclear Scandals  :emthdown: :P

by Abby Zimet

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2014/01/17-0
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
DOOM SC-FI Entertainment: Oceansize
« Reply #2000 on: January 18, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KzPHbSYfPAQ#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KzPHbSYfPAQ#&fs=1</a> 
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Happy Ending Sci Fi Collapsed Civilization Short Film!
« Reply #2001 on: January 19, 2014, 06:44:09 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cewEPop4B0#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4cewEPop4B0#&fs=1</a>
:o Wild action chase combat with flying robot killer drone!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:45:48 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #2002 on: January 19, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »

UB,
I read the welfare queen story at JoeP's newz channel. She obviously did/does not possess any morality. She is unrepentant about what she did to harm others to feed her greed, whether directly or indirectly. These truths stood out about her predatory, conscience free behavior:

Isaiah Gant, who has been an attorney for nearly four decades, says his onetime client “was a scam artist like I have never run across since.” Gant, now an assistant federal public defender in Nashville, Tenn., says Taylor could change personalities in an instant. “If she wanted to be a ho, she could be a ho. If she wanted to be a princess, she could be a princess,” he says. “The woman was smooth.”

She is small potatoes compared with a CEO of a large Corporation or an Oil Corporation executive that is doing much more harm by willfully not giving a shit about the harm his "profitable" product does to others as long as he can feed his greed.

As to whether she was a killer or not, I say, WHY NOT? She didn't give a fuck about anybody but herself so, if there was money in it, of course she would do it.

I do not see any difference in MKing's arrogant and defiant claim that he is just doing what an apex predator does (and those of us who don't are weak and deserve to be crushed) with Taylor's attitude. She was/is a predator and proud of it!

Do you think MKing is just here for debating fun and games? If you do, you are fooling yourself. People like him consider people with morals a CHALLENGE BECAUSE HE so sure THAT MORALS ARE A WEAKNESS.

When he flips his disdain for morality on its head and tries to use OUR values to make us feel guilty about admiring someone he claims is a pervert or a pedophile, WE are the target.

People with low autonomic arousal are pretty smooth operators, aren't they. They don't lose their cool easily and function quite well under pressure. They make good gamblers, con artists, stock brokers, stunt drivers , predatory capitalist CEOs, POLLUTION PROFITING BUSINESSMEN and killers.

The common thread besides the low "give a fuck" meter reading is that they do not particularly like those that DO give a fuck and go through their lives working hard to make suckers of the rest of us so we will "learn about REALITY". They are on a mission to PROVE that not giving a fuck is the right way to be.

We know better. A tiny voice inside the predator's mind reminds him or her that THEY are the ones that are the "problem" with society, not the rest of us. But they are quite tenacious about clinging to their Randian wet dream.

Perhaps the Taylor wasn't crazy but she definitely is evil.  Evil people are never at peace, are never sated or satisfied and do their level best to hide the envy they feel towards those who's morality gives them peace. So they heap disdain on the "kumbaya" types seeking a better world.
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Golden Amazon
« Reply #2003 on: January 19, 2014, 08:09:51 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/R6Gr_j23stg#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/R6Gr_j23stg#&fs=1</a>
Faith,

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2004 on: January 19, 2014, 08:23:22 PM »
//

As to whether she was a killer or not, I say, WHY NOT? She didn't give a fuck about anybody but herself so, if there was money in it, of course she would do it.

I do not see any difference in MKing's arrogant and defiant claim that he is just doing what an apex predator does (and those of us who don't are weak and deserve to be crushed) with Taylor's attitude. She was/is a predator and proud of it!

Do you think MKing is just here for debating fun and games? If you do, you are fooling yourself. People like him consider people with morals a CHALLENGE BECAUSE HE so sure THAT MORALS ARE A WEAKNESS.

When he flips his disdain for morality on its head and tries to use OUR values to make us feel guilty about admiring someone he claims is a pervert or a pedophile, WE are the target.

People with low autonomic arousal are pretty smooth operators, aren't they. They don't lose their cool easily and function quite well under pressure. They make good gamblers, con artists, stock brokers, stunt drivers , predatory capitalist CEOs, POLLUTION PROFITING BUSINESSMEN and killers.

The common thread besides the low "give a fuck" meter reading is that they do not particularly like those that DO give a fuck and go through their lives working hard to make suckers of the rest of us so we will "learn about REALITY". They are on a mission to PROVE that not giving a fuck is the right way to be.

We know better. A tiny voice inside the predator's mind reminds him or her that THEY are the ones that are the "problem" with society, not the rest of us. But they are quite tenacious about clinging to their Randian wet dream.

Perhaps the Taylor wasn't crazy but she definitely is evil.  Evil people are never at peace, are never sated or satisfied and do their level best to hide the envy they feel towards those who's morality gives them peace. So they heap disdain on the "kumbaya" types seeking a better world.

Well said.
We may be the target, but we are not victims. Continue to challenge, to call out, to expose with ridicule.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Mystery Rock 'Appears' in Front of Mars Rover
« Reply #2005 on: January 19, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »
Mystery Rock 'Appears' in Front of Mars Rover  :o

Jan 17, 2014 05:31 AM ET  //  by  Ian O'Neill

After a decade of exploring the Martian surface, the scientists overseeing veteran rover Opportunity thought they’d seen it all. That was until a rock mysteriously “appeared” a few feet in front of the six wheeled rover a few days ago.

News of the errant rock was announced by NASA Mars Exploration Rover lead scientist Steve Squyres of Cornell University at a special NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory “10 years of roving Mars” event at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, Calif., on Thursday night. The science star-studded public event was held in celebration of the decade since twin rovers Spirit and Opportunity landed on the Red Planet in January 2004.

PHOTOS: Alien Robots That Left Their Mark on Mars

While chronicling the scientific discoveries made by both rovers over the years, Squyres discussed the recent finding of suspected gypsum near the rim of Endeavour Crater — a region of Meridiani Planum that Opportunity has been studying since 2011 — and the discovery of clays that likely formed in a pH-neutral wet environment in Mars past. While these discoveries have been nothing short of groundbreaking, Squyres shared the Mars rover’s team’s excitement for that one strange rock, exclaiming: “Mars keeps throwing new stuff at us!”

In a comparison of recent photographs captured by the rover’s panoramic camera, or Pancam, on sol 3528 of the mission, only bare bedrock can be seen. But on sol 3540, a fist-sized rock had appeared (raw Pancam images can be found in the mission archive). MER scientists promptly nicknamed the object “Pinnacle Island.”

“It’s about the size of a jelly doughnut,”
Squyres told Discovery News. “It was a total surprise, we were like ‘wait a second, that wasn’t there before, it can’t be right. Oh my god! It wasn’t there before!’ We were absolutely startled.”

But the rover didn’t roll over that area, so where did Pinnacle Island come from?    :icon_scratch:

A comparison of two raw Pancam photographs from sols 3528 and 3540 of Opportunity's mission (a sol is a Martian day). Notice the "jelly doughnut"-sized rock in the center of the photograph to the right. Minor adjustments for brightness and contrast.
NASA/JPL-Caltech

http://news.discovery.com/space/mystery-rock-appears-in-front-of-mars-rover-140117.htm#mkcpgn=fbsci1

If you liked that rock, you'll LOVE my NEXT trick...
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Older Trees Grow Faster
« Reply #2006 on: January 20, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
Older Trees Grow Faster

Mature trees soak up more CO2 than younger ones, a study shows, overturning a bit of botanical dogma.  :o

By Bob Grant | January 20, 2014

It turns out that as a slew of tree species age, they grow faster and gobble up more carbon dioxide than when they were younger, according to a study published last week (January 15) in Nature.

The findings, which involved decades of data taken from 673,046 trees in more than 400 tropical and temperate tree species around the globe, contradict a long-standing assumption that tree growth slows as the plants age. “The trees that are adding the most mass are the biggest ones, and that holds pretty much everywhere on Earth that we looked,” Nathan Stephenson, a US Geological Survey ecologist and first author of the study, told Nature. “Trees have the equivalent of an adolescent growth spurt, but it just keeps going.”

The results have important implications for conservation and forestry practices. “Not only do [older trees] hold a lot of carbon, but they’re adding carbon at a tremendous rate," Stephenson told NPR. “And that’s going to be really important to understand when we’re trying to predict how the forests are going to change in the future—in the face of a changing climate or other environmental changes.”

http://www.the-scientist.com//?articles.view/articleNo/38914/title/Older-Trees-Grow-Faster/

Agelbert NOTE: This is another reason why old growth trees should NOT be used for firewood or any other kind of biomass. Grasses like Hemp and angiosperms like duckweed and Azolla can provide all the textiles and woody furnace pellets we need. Leave the forests alone!

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
19 Countries Form Africa Clean Energy Corridor
« Reply #2007 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
19 Countries Form Africa Clean Energy Corridor

SustainableBusiness.com News

19 countries have committed to developing an Africa Clean Energy Corridor to help the continent leap frog to renewable energy in the face of rising energy demand.

Led by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), stakeholders believe a regional approach can attract the most investment and optimize the renewable energy mix.

The corridor will span eastern Africa, from Cairo to Capetown, where transmission infrastructure is being built to meet growing energy demand.

Currently, Ethiopia hosts the continent's biggest wind farm and has plans for 800 megawatts of wind and 1 gigawatt of geothermal. The Corbetti Project is a new model for developing large scale power projects in Africa and is part of the Power Africa initiative that President Obama announced last summer.

IRENA

IRENA will facilitate the large-scale, transborder initiative by: 
•identifying renewable energy development zones - areas of high potential - where solar, wind, geothermal or biomass projects would be clustered;

•facilitating government planning so that renewable energy has bigger share of the energy mix;

•fostering new financing models and investment frameworks that can rapidly get projects on the ground;

•building the local knowledge base and leading public information campaigns.

Demand for electricity is expected to triple in Southern Africa, and quadruple in Eastern Africa over the 25 years, making the region’s current dependence on fossil fuels increasingly unsustainable both economically and environmentally, says IRENA.

80% of Southern Africa's energy comes from coal, which will need to expand without the growth of renewables because demand is growing at 4% a year. East Africa relies on natural gas for 60% of electricity, with demand rising 6% a year.

“Lifting the African population out of energy poverty cannot be fulfilled if a business-as-usual approach is followed,” says Mosad Elmissiry, Head of Energy at the New Partnership for Africa’s Development, an African Union implementing body. “We need a drastic transformation in our approach to developing renewable energy, to be sure renewables are fully utilised. The Clean Energy Corridor can support and further advance the implementation of the regional and continental initiatives already on the ground for further utilisation of renewable energy in Africa.”

Environmental ministers and delegates endorsed this action plan this week.   

Established in 2009, IRENA is the global hub for renewable energy cooperation, supported by 123 countries and the European Union. Headquartered in Masdar City, United Arab Emirates, it supports countries in their transition to sustainable energy, and serves as the principal platform for international cooperation, a center of excellence, and repository of policy, technology, resource and financial knowledge on renewable energy.  The inter-governmental organization promotes widespread adoption of all forms of renewable energy, including bioenergy, geothermal, hydropower, ocean, solar and wind.

Last year, South Africa was one of 10 countries that formed the Renewable Energy Club, which is managed by IRENA. The US did not joing the Club! The idea is to break the logjam on confronting climate change by reframing the focus from the negative - cutting emissions - to the positive - rapidly ramping up renewable energy.

Also last year, IRENA unveiled the first world atlas that shows every country's renewable energy potential.

Here's a brief video from IRENA on the Africa Clean Energy Corridor:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8kbD5g3x52Y#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8kbD5g3x52Y#&fs=1</a>
Agelbert NOTE: Fossil Fuelers will HATE the TRUTHS in this video about actual costs of fossil fuels versus Renewable Energy in Africa.      :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/25446
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Huge study highlights stupendous design in human DNA
« Reply #2008 on: January 20, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »
Agelbert NOTE: Hot Dog! I have been claiming since 1986 that there is no "junk" DNA. I HAVE MAINTAINED THAT THE ORIGINAL DESIGN INCLUDED adaptive DNA coding to respond to environmental pressures WITHOUT "evolving" into another species; i.e. SAME species, new genes turned on and some turned off.  Now it seems science is proving I was right! :icon_mrgreen:

Dazzling DNA

Huge study highlights stupendous design in human DNA

by Don Batten

This is an exciting time to be a creationist! Following pilot studies published in 2007,1 the ENCODE (Encyclopedia of DNA Elements) project has now published some 30 papers of phase two, revealing that most of our DNA is functional and effectively killing the evolutionary idea that nearly all our DNA is ‘junk’.

The research involved over 440 scientists in 32 institutes performing over 1,600 experiments.2 They found that over 80% of the human DNA does something, although the details of what it does mostly remain to be determined. Less than 2% of the DNA codes for proteins; the rest turns out to be like a huge control panel, with millions of switches that turn protein-producing genes on or off.  And different cells have different switch settings, because they need different parts of the DNA to be active.

Discover magazine’s website reported:3

“And what’s in the remaining 20 percent? Possibly not junk either,  ;Daccording to Ewan Birney, the project’s Lead Analysis Coordinator and self-described ‘cat-herder-in-chief’. He explains that ENCODE only (!) looked at 147 types of cells, and the human body has a few thousand. A given part of the genome might control a gene in one cell type, but not others. If every cell is included, functions may emerge for the phantom proportion. ‘It’s likely that 80 percent will go to 100 percent,’ says Birney. ‘We don’t really have any large chunks of redundant DNA. This metaphor of junk isn’t that useful.’”

Evolution needs ‘junk DNA’

Many evolutionists don’t like the findings.  ;D

Even with the most favourable assumptions, evolutionists could not account for more than a tiny amount of the human DNA  :o, so they have long claimed that 97% or more of it is useless leftovers of evolution—‘junk’. In contrast, based on the premise that we were created by a super-intelligent Creator—‘fearfully and wonderfully made’—creationists have long questioned the idea that we have mainly useless DNA. In 1994, founder of Creation magazine Carl Wieland wrote,

“Creationists have long suspected that this ‘junk DNA’ will turn out to have a function.”4

Many evolutionists don’t like the findings. One blogged on Scientific American’s website that he doubted the death of junk DNA and complained about the “public damage” done by ENCODE publicity.5 

Damage to what?  ;) Surely not science? Atheism? Giving three reasons why evolution requires lots of junk DNA, he concluded that the finding of 80% (+) functional must be wrong/misreported. But junk DNA is dead and this blog only shows that evolution should die with it.

“Far from finished”

Scientists have a huge job ahead to work out what specifically all this active DNA does. Much will undoubtedly be very important, other parts less so. It presents an enormous task. Geneticist Rick Myers remarked, “We are far from finished. You might argue that this could go on forever.”6

Related Articles

DNA: marvellous messages or mostly mess?

Astonishing DNA complexity update

Large scale function for ‘endogenous retroviruses’

The slow, painful death of junk DNA

Further Reading

What about ‘Vestigial’ (‘junk’) DNA that evolutionists claim is a useless leftover of evolution?

References and notes

1.See, Williams, A., Astonishing DNA complexity update, July 2007; creation.com/astonishing-dna-complexity-update. Return to text.

2.See overview papers in Nature 489, 6 September 2012. Return to text.

3.Yong, E., ENCODE: the rough guide to the human genome, in the ‘Not Exactly Rocket Science’ blog; blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2012/09/05/encode-the-rough-guide-to-the-human-genome/ Return to text.

4.Wieland, C., Junk moves up in the world, Journal of Creation 8(2):125, 1994. Return to text.

5.Jogalekar, A., Three reasons why junk DNA makes evolutionary sense; blogs.scientificamerican.com/the-curious-wavefunction/2012/09/13/three-reasons-to-like-junk-dna, 13 September, 2012. Return to text.

6.Nature 489, p.48. Return to text.

http://creation.com/dazzling-dna
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Most of you have no idea what Martin Luther King actually did
« Reply #2009 on: January 20, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »

Most of you have no idea what Martin Luther King actually did

by
HamdenRiceFollow .

Martin Luther King Jr removing a burned cross from his front yard with his son at his side.

This will be a very short diary. It will not contain any links or any scholarly references. It is about a very narrow topic, from a very personal, subjective perspective.

The topic at hand is what Martin Luther King actually did, what it was that he actually accomplished.
Faith,