AuthorTopic: Agelbert's Newz Channel  (Read 1799602 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #4500 on: August 26, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »
And when mathematical Mking makes some ridiculously broad CYA statements like losing if the market goes to 20,000 and winning if it goes to 10,000 (a couple of days ago it was around 9,000, so he is somewhat flexible  :evil4:), we can clearly SEE how HONEST and FORTHRIGHT he is about what he actually does with his dirty energy riches. IOW, he wants us to believe he has all the bases covered. LOL!

Are you even aware of how my investing strategy works Anthony? It is difficult, but I found the right graphic to explain it, a picture being worth a thousand words. Does this help?

Quote from: agelbert
Hey MKing, if you want to brag about your track record and your future plans to "benefit" from all the stock market carnage (as if that was the only issue in this thread ;)), why don't you tell us your NAME? And after you do that, tell us your portfolio holdings TODAY.  ;) Even Nicole Foss is upfront enough to do that.  :emthup:

Some of my track record sucks, why would I want to brag about it? I got hosed on gold, stayed out of the market mostly during the 80's when I shouldn't have, got snookered at both ends by the dot.com bust, and everyone claims to know my name, what, they left you out of the loop on reviewing my scientific pubs? Ask around, someone will send them to you and then you can decide for yourself if I've got the scientific bones I claim, or am worth listening to when it comes to the market (I wouldn't if I were you!).

And as to that bit of math modeling "logic" you threw at JD, mutually exclusive events, when they are EXCLUDED as a function of a mathematical model, FORCE that model to go into la la land of, "looky here, my model predicts everything that happens!"

I don't think you understood what I said. What is your experience with modeling, deterministic or stochastic? And if you have experience with either, what happens when you insert exponentially increasing functions into them?

That is not the real world. That is COVER YOUR ASS pseudo-scientific statistical BULLSHIT. You are an expert at it.  :evil4:

See previous comment. If you wish to discuss probability modeling, I'm all for it, being a firm believer we all need to understand it better, because the world certainly isn't deterministic.

Exponentially increasing functions is NOT what JD was talking about. If you want to twist this into some "erudite" attempt at claiming your posts here are not rife with self serving rationalizations (and probably your modeling efforts too!), go for it. As Surly says, your 'body pf work' goes before you.

Any idiot knows that a mathematical model is necessarily narrow in scope. For you to jabber about "exponentially increasing functions" in your pedantic holier than thou tone just proves you have a tremendous capacity for the obvious.

JD made it clear that he understands that the scope of a model limits its predictive ability but does NOT negate it's validity within that scope. You continue to try to muddle that fact. Modelng is not now, or ever will be, reality. Reality is too complex and chaotic for math to keep up, even with the most massive computers.

However, just because we cannot predict a hurricane track 100% accurately, that does not mean that said hurricane affecting a broad swath is not a high probability event.

So it is with global warming science THAT YOU constantly claim suffers from "faulty" modeling.

So it is with the fossil fuel stocks modeling of IMPAX Asset Management that YOU also, OBVIOUSLY, believe is faulty BECAUSE their research and modeling established a case for divestment from fossil fuel stocks.

So it is with the historical track record of oligarchic excesses consistently causing gigantic market crashes. The data is all around us. If you don't want to accept that harbinger of multiple business bankruptcies, then your "modeling" lacks enough empirical data to predict the general trend, never mind a specific one.

And don't tell me your aren't bragging by claiming you've got most, if not all of this, figured out. You are.  :emthdown:

Here's a data point you may want to add to your economic math modeling: ;)

The region PMI (manufacturing index) from Richmond, saw a drop that it hadn't seen in 9 years! 

Enough of those types of data points and a positive outcome for our economy becomes an  increasingly low probability event.

JD gets that. I doubt that you do. We are in DEEP shit. Live with it!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:15:08 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Hat tip to Surly
« Reply #4501 on: August 26, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »

Bingo!    Can you say, celebration of Moral Hazard? Can you say, Empathy Deficit Disordered business model?

Yep.

the Trump Empathy Deficit Disordered Cretin actually states a truth; but only if viewed in the proper context.  8)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:14:03 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
REALITY CHECK for Fossil fuelers
« Reply #4502 on: August 27, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »
I am 100% in agreement with Lucid. I was sick and tired of seeing that Avatar given for MKing.

The new one is not sufficiently appropriate, IMHO. Here's one that I humbly submit. I believe that it describes MKing's world view rather well:

Surly did label MKing a blowhard, after all.  8)

He MKing, here's some more data points to add to your fossil fuel industry and economy "modeling".  :evil4:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:15:08 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
THe Musket that the Second Amendment is Based On
« Reply #4503 on: August 27, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; but no person religiously scrupulous shall be compelled to bear arms. In late August 1789, the House debated and modified the Second Amendment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

I make no attempt to rationalize my position. I just refuse to be disarmed.  I don't consider it a God-given right. Just a choice.

TPTB are considering every excuse to outlaw ammunition, if not firearms themselves. They have had some success there already.

I predict greater repression. It is the logical expectation.

You are a smart man. Me too. Your pea shooters don't stand a chance against TPTB the instant they decide to take them away from you.

Back when I was taking military tactics at West Point, we had to learn to do all kinds of neat stuff with weapons. We had to disassemble and assemble 45 caliber automatics in a certain number of seconds. But the real bear was loading, firing and reloading a continental Army musket from the Revolutionary War. They had bayonets (LONG BAYONETS) on them because that durn thing was used way more often than not.

It was quite a dance to get the wick ready (and it had to be kept DRY along with the powder during combat too!), jam the powder and then a cloth and then a round ball and then aim and then hope your flint hadn't crapped out and then shoot. At that point, it was rinse and repeat unless the red coat was charging you close by. Some people got really good at it and could reload in less than 30 seconds. Most could not.

I bring all this irrelevant babble to the fore because THAT weapon is the basis of all the rhetoric in the Second Amendment. The RIGHT to shoot ONCE  IF your powder, wick and flint are dry within a minute or so was the mindset of the folks who wrote that piece of paper.

But things have changed. I can take an AR-15 and file something on it and turn it into a machine gun. The Army knows all this. And yet they have not moved against the dudes out there that have enough clips and "hunting" rifles/machine guns to start a little war. The reason is that they are ALL pea shooters compared with what TPTB can bring to bear.

Yes, I know you aren't claiming you own weapons because of this or that Constitutional rhetoric. But you ARE claiming that you are somehow more capable of deciding when to use lethal force than most of the rest of the population. Yes, I know you don't give a rat's patutty if that doesn't sit well with some folks.

But your claim that being locked and loaded will keep TPTB at bay is wishful thinking. TPTB won the arms race with the population over a century ago.

You can kill your neighbor (by accident or because of strife) or some local thief with your hardware, Eddie. That's it.
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Two Seattle police officers Fired after Caught Defaming Black Bus Driver
« Reply #4504 on: August 27, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »
Wed Aug 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM EDT.

Two Seattle police officers fired after body camera worn by bus driver catches them in a huge lie

On November 14, 2014, Kelvin Kirkpatrick, an African-American Metro bus driver with over 20 years of experience in Seattle, requested that sheriff's officers remove sleeping homeless men from his bus, per company policy. The officers weren't helpful and even lied to Kirkpatrick about why they weren't being helpful. He got back on his bus and got back to work.

Little did he know that two of the officers involved would flat out lie about the entire encounter in a report that they completed, stating that he dropped f-bombs and berated them. The thing is, that never happened—and a body camera, worn by the bus driver himself, captured the entire ordeal as you can see below the fold.

The firings resulted from an investigation into a complaint filed by King County Sheriff’s Office Sergeant Lou Caballero after an early morning argument on Nov. 14 between him and driver Kelvin Kirkpatrick in downtown Seattle, internal Sheriff’s Office documents showed.

During the argument, Kirkpatrick, a 20-year transit veteran, criticized Caballero and his deputies for not removing non-paying “sleepers” from his bus.

Caballero said Kirkpatrick yelled at him: “You got three fucking deputies out here that don’t do nothing.” 
 Another deputy, Amy Shoblom, attested to that in a witness statement. 

Both officers have now been fired   , but it shows you the frightening ease with which officers will not only make shit up, but back each other up on the fiction. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5v37M4T13U" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/o5v37M4T13U</a>

America. 2015.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/26/1415635/-Two-Seattle-police-officers-fired-after-body-camera-worn-by-bus-driver-catches-them-in-a-huge-lie
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Reply #4505 on: August 27, 2015, 09:24:33 PM »
Wed Aug 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM EDT.

Two Seattle police officers fired after body camera worn by bus driver catches them in a huge lie

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/26/1415635/-Two-Seattle-police-officers-fired-after-body-camera-worn-by-bus-driver-catches-them-in-a-huge-lie

Seems I catch the media in a huge lie.

The Seattle Police Department has about 2000 people working in it.  They are a separate organization from the King County Sheriff's department which patrols an area twice the size of Rhode Island. 

Lou Caballero and Amy Shoblom worked for the King County Sheriff's department and were not Seattle police officers.  Further and unstated is that:

"The brief argument culminated months of tension between Caballero, supervisor of a Metro Transit squad, and driver Kelvin Kirkpatrick, who had previously reported that Caballero’s deputies were not doing their job on the overnight shift."

Kirkpatrick was wearing the camera because he had an agenda.

And this is where I got my quote.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/video-from-bus-drivers-body-camera-could-cost-2-deputies-their-jobs/

How about this for a headline:

Irresponsible Reporting of a Cat Fight Fuels Racial Tensions

That's EXACTLY the kind of BIGOTED Dismissive BULLSHIT the comments on the neo-confederate post were composed of.

Listen pal, when you have driven a bus for 20 years and you are black and get the cold shoulder from cops that are itching to throw the book at you, THEN you can talk. Otherwise STFU, Mr. BIGOT man!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:33:43 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Shocking (not): Prominent climate denier gets money from Big Coal
« Reply #4506 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:12 PM »
Shocking: Prominent climate denier gets money from Big Coal

By Katie Herzog  on 26 Aug 2015

Christopher Horner has made his career fighting climate change, but not in the way you’re thinking: He’s been fighting the notion that it exists at all.

Horner is senior fellow and lawyer for the Competitive Enterprise Institute   — a think tank devoted to promoting free market ideals and less governmental regulation of industries like tobacco and fossil fuels. You know, the good guys. Horner is also a vocal climate denier, and has written books with titles like The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming (and Environmentalism) and Red Hot Lies: How Global Warming Alarmists Use Threats, Fraud, and Deception to Keep You Misinformed. He makes regular appearances on Fox News when they need an expert on the climate change hoax, and his Twitter feed looks like a tween conspiracy theorist’s.

One of Horner’s preferred tactics is to inundate climate researchers with records requests so they get too bogged down with his bull**** to do actual work. He was also an instrumental figure in promoting the smear campaign known as “Climategate,” in which thousands of emails and other documents were hacked from a server at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in the U.K. Conservative groups and climate deniers used the documents to allege a systematic attempt on the part of scientists to defraud the public about the causes of global temperature increases. Unfortunately for Horner (and the planet), eight subsequent investigations revealed no wrongdoing on the part of the researchers.

The question is: Why? What drives a seemingly intelligent (or at least educated) human being to look decades of scientific data in the eye and go, “Nah. The world is cooling. Definitely cooling.”

Turns out, it’s money.

The Intercept analyzed bankruptcy filings of the one of the largest coal companies in America, Alpha Natural Reserves, and found line items for Horner’s home and work — suggesting Horner’s work spouting bull**** about global cooling is paid for by Big Coal itself. The Intercept’s Lee Fang reports:

The Alpha Natural Resources filing corroborates the suggestion in a recent email from chief executives of major coal firms that they are underwriting Horner’s current work.

In early June this year, the Coal & Investment Leadership Forum, a trade show, sent this message to its email list: “As the ‘war on coal’ continues, I trust that the commitment we have made to support Chris Horner’s work will eventually create great awareness of the illegal tactics being employed to pass laws that are intended to destroy our industry.” The email was signed by Alliance Resource Partners’ Joe Craft III, Alpha Natural Resources’ Kevin Crutchfield, Drummond Company’s Gary Drummond, Arch Coal’s John Eaves and United Coal Co.’s Jim McGlothlin.

Well, would you look at that. Color us surprised. It’s almost like this dude cares more about his own wallet and insane political agenda than he does the fate of this poor spinning planet we call home. Sounds like he’d make a great presidential candidate. 

http://grist.org/climate-energy/shocking-prominent-climate-denier-gets-money-from-big-coal/
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Zeolite hydrogen storage technology for hydrogen powered vehicles
« Reply #4507 on: August 28, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »

Research Article

High-Pressure Hydrogen Adsorption in the Zeolites: A Grand Canonical Monte Carlo Study

Xiuying Liu, Jie He, and Rui Li

College of Science, Henan University of Technology, Henan, Zhengzhou 450001, China
Received 22 April 2012; Accepted 15 June 2012
Academic Editors: F. E. Little and R. P. Saini

Copyright © 2012 Xiuying Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

SNIPPET 1:

Hydrogen storage is a key enabling technology for the extensive use of hydrogen as an energy carrier. The aim is to develop economically and environmentally attractive solutions for storage options. Therefore, a number of novel storage techniques are being investigated to complement the currently available methods.

SNIPPET 2:

Zeolites are aluminosilicate crystals extensively used in industrial applications involving separation, adsorption, or preferential adsorption of gases [9]. These applications have motivated theoretical and experimental works devoted to the measurement and computation of the adsorption of simple gases or complex molecular fluids on these materials.

Numerical simulations have been realized using a sound model of the interactions between the zeolite crystal and gas molecules, with the aim of evaluating the possibility of computing the amount of gas adsorbed at a given pressure and temperature with acceptable precision.,

The objective of the present work is concerned with the adsorption of H2 on the different zeolites. Here, we have investigated three zeolites with different channel diameters and pore volumes. The physisorption properties of hydrogen molecules on RHO, ZON, and CHA zeolites have been simulated employing GCMC method. Figure 1 shows a schematic drawing of the zeolite pore structure investigated [10].

SNIPPET 3:

The results show that the physisorption properties of CHA zeolite are superior to those of ZON zeolite at all conditions. The reasonable theoretical explanations are given by calculating the isosteric heats of adsorption at the different temperatures.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/491396/

Hydrogen Storage for Energy Application

Rahul Krishna, Elby Titus*, Maryam Salimian, Olena Okhay, Sivakumar Rajendran and Jose Gracio Nanotechnology Research Division (NRD), Centre for Mechanical Technology and Automation (TEMA), Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Aveiro, Portugal

J. M. G. Sousa, A. L. C. Ferreira and Ananth Rajkumar
Department of Physics& I3N, University of Aveiro, Portugal

João Campos Gil
Department of Physics, University of Coimbra, Portugal

SNIPPET 1:

Zeolites contain well defined open-pore structure, with often tunable pore size, and show notable guest-host chemistry, with important applications in catalysis, gas adsorption, purification and separation [33]. Additionally, this material is cheap and has been widely used in industrial processes for many decades.

The extensive experimental survey depicts the hydrogen storage capacity of zeolites to be <2 wt% at cryogenic temperatures and <0.3 wt% at room temperatures and above [34].

SNIPPET 2:

Figure 7 shows that the structure of these minerals is most commonly based on a framework of alternating AlO4 and SiO4 species, with charge balancing (hydroxyl or cationic) entities, forming networks of cavities, channels and openings of varying dimensions [35].

SNIPPET 3:

The hydrogen revolution following the industrial age has just started. Hydrogen production, storage and conversion have reached a high technological level although plenty of improvements and new discoveries are still possible.

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/38711.pdf

Agelbert NOTE: Of course fossil fuelers will claim zeolite lined hydrogen gas tanks for vehicles is "immature" technology "Not ready for prime time".  ::) This technology is mature, but we can't have it yet. Perhaps one day the fossil fuel industry will let our government release it. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Look ma, a plane that is powered with ford engines modified to run on hydrogen!  8)

NASA has been studying this since 2003. AND, I'll bet you dollars to donuts the huge Phantom eye drone built years ago and still flying (with has off the shelf Ford engines modified to run on hydrogen, NOT gasoline, for DAYS without interruption) has a zeolite lined hydrogen fuel tank (something they have not gone public about - fossil fuel profits must be preserved, after all. :evil4:) along with the fuel cell technology they did go public about.

Hugely expensive fuel cell technology is a great excuse to claim hydrogen powered cars aren't "cost competitive" with gasoline powered polluting pigs. 

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Photvoltaics (PV) - MPPT charge controllers are better than PWM
« Reply #4508 on: August 29, 2015, 01:07:01 PM »
Photvoltaics (PV) - MPPT charge controllers are better than PWM 

A good MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) charger might give you 10-30% more power than a good PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controller. This is because solar panels rarely give optimum output at the correct charging voltage for your batteries.

With a PWM controller when the panel voltage is less than the battery voltage you get no charge at all (cloudy situations) and in sunny times everything above say 14.4v is thrown away.

An MPPT charge controller can solve both these issues while maintaining the panels at their optimum voltage.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3SBC1OCDXL9DT/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B008KWPGAE#R3SBC1OCDXL9DT

All About Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) Solar Charge Controllers

SNIPPET:

How a Maximum Power Point Tracker Works:

The Power point tracker is a high frequency DC to DC converter. They take the DC input from the solar panels, change it to high frequency AC, and convert it back down to a different DC voltage and current to exactly match the panels to the batteries. MPPT's operate at very high audio frequencies, usually in the 20-80 kHz range. The advantage of high frequency circuits is that they can be designed with very high efficiency transformers and small components. The design of high frequency circuits can be very tricky because the problems with portions of the circuit "broadcasting" just like a radio transmitter and causing radio and TV interference. Noise isolation and suppression becomes very important.

There are a few non-digital (that is, linear) MPPT's charge controls around. These are much easier and cheaper to build and design than the digital ones.

They do improve efficiency somewhat, but overall the efficiency can vary a lot - and we have seen a few lose their "tracking point" and actually get worse.

That can happen occasionally if a cloud passed over the panel - the linear circuit searches for the next best point, but then gets too far out on the deep end to find it again when the sun comes out. Thankfully, not many of these around any more.

The power point tracker (and all DC to DC converters) operates by taking the DC input current, changing it to AC, running through a transformer (usually a toroid, a doughnut looking transformer), and then rectifying it back to DC, followed by the output regulator. In most DC to DC converters, this is strictly an electronic process - no real smarts are involved except for some regulation of the output voltage.

Charge controllers for solar panels need a lot more smarts as light and temperature conditions vary continuously all day long, and battery voltage changes.

Smart power trackers

All recent models of digital MPPT controllers available are microprocessor controlled.

They know when to adjust the output that it is being sent to the battery, and they actually shut down for a few microseconds and "look" at the solar panel and battery and make any needed adjustments.

Although not really new (the Australian company AERL had some as early as 1985), it has been only recently that electronic microprocessors have become cheap enough to be cost effective in smaller systems (less than 1 KW of panel).

MPPT charge controls are now manufactured by several companies, such as Outback Power, Xantrex XW-SCC, Blue Sky Energy, Apollo Solar, Midnite Solar, Morningstar and a few others.

http://www.solar-electric.com/mppt-solar-charge-controllers.html

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Temptations of the Dark Side must be resisted with CO2 based rocket fuel!
« Reply #4509 on: August 29, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
Excuse my crude attempt at Thom Hartmann style humor. And I don't care what that agelbert Renewable Energy Crazy says  about you, anybody that drives a Volt has a lot going for them!  :icon_sunny:

I don't drive a Volt anymore Anthony. Wrote up an entire review of the new EV in the technological section. You feeling alright?

Sorry, I don't read much of your stuff unless you are addressing me. I missed it.

You make up so much and then just assign it to me I just figured you were doing the usual deliberate misrepresentation.

But if you are listening because I am addressing you, I recommend you give up your gas guzzling ways and join those of us fighting the good fight!

And I haven't felt alright since 2007.  8)

For me it was 1981. January 20. That was the day I learned about American power, and the perception of it based on nothing more than who wields it, and why that matters and why those without steel in their spines are always the wrong people.

I prefer to keep listening to Obi Wan, thank you very much.

Agelbert prepares his photon torpedo gift for delivery to the fossil fuel government death star. NOTE: My X-Wing is powered by rocket fuel made from Supercritical (pressurized) CO2 split by a secret process to surround magnesium atoms (as a solvent) - no gas guzzling involved  ;D - Along with some oxygen the process produces, it Makes Great Rocket fuel as long as you have plenty of CO2 available to harvest!  I make it on Mars, just like NASA plans to do.   :icon_sunny:

And as to your claim that I misrepresent you, uh, I think said claim is rather consistent with my observation that you are a student of Karl Rove strategy...

Karl Rove strategy #3: Accuse your opponent of your weakness  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:03:54 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Humans to Blame for Catastrophic Drought in California, Scientists Say
« Reply #4510 on: August 29, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »

Humans to Blame for Catastrophic Drought in California, Scientists Say

http://ecowatch.com/2015/08/28/humans-blame-california-drought/

Agelbert Note:
As was expected, some fossil fuelers showed up to deny global warming had anything to do with it. It's what they do. And that's not all they do.

The Fossil Fuel Industry Propagandists need to address the FACT that the fossil fuel industry has

1) the MOTIVE (threatened profits from climate change science demanding an end to fossil fuel use)

2) the OPPORTUNITY (privileged access to main streammedia and powerful politicians)

AND
3) the MEANS (billions of dollars from dirty energy profits)

to produce fraudulent scientific papers based on distorted models of climate science that challenge/refute the climate science consensus that fossil fuels are over heating the biosphere.

So, in true Orwellian fashion,
they accuse the truly objective climate scientists of doing what the fossil fuel industry has been doing for several decades to defend the fossil fuel industry massive subsidy swag (in comparison to the pittance for Renewable Energy) and dirty energy profits.

As you may observe by the rather selective nature of fossil fueler comments, fossil fuelers spend no time at all questioning the models that question/challenge/deny global warming.

Propagandists hired by the Fossil Fuel Industry to pollute internet threads with doubletalk dissembling and mendacity (always vociferously denying that they are bought and paid for by Big Oil, of course!), also spend no time at all addressing the giant conflict of interest the fossil fuel industry has that inhibits any objective scientific inquiry whatsoever on the question of whether to burn fossil fuels or not.

Oh no. They spend most of their Empathy Deficit disordered  time making spurious and defamatory charges about the alleged mens rea involved in climate change science modeling that predicts a hotter biosphere from green house gasses the fossil fuel industry externalizes to we-the-people.

Fossil Fuelers claim the empirical data is distorted or cherry picked or erroneous or incomplete or whatever to "justify all that money and subsidy swag" (LOL!) for Renewable Energy. It's allegedly a big conspiracy to ruin our quality, comfort and high standard of living that ONLY the burning of fossil fuels can provide. 

They are just following the Karl Rove, Machiavlelli worshipping playbook.

Karl Rove strategy #3: Accuse your opponent of your weakness.

Scientists try to replicate climate denier findings and fail  ;D

By Suzanne Jacobs  on 26 Aug 2015

SNIPPET:

When we tried to reproduce their model of the lunar and solar influence on the climate, we found that the model only simulated their temperature data reasonably accurately for the 4,000-year period they considered. However, for the 6,000 years’ worth of earlier data they threw out, their model couldn’t reproduce the temperature changes.

The authors argued that their model could be used to forecast future climate changes   ;), but there’s no reason to trust a model forecast if it can’t accurately reproduce the past. 

http://grist.org/news/scientists-try-to-replicate-climate-denier-findings-and-fail/
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Words of Wisdom and Advice from Lucid, A Wise Man:
« Reply #4511 on: August 29, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
Words of Wisdom and Advice from Lucid,  A Wise Man:

I spent a lot of time dealing with death as ya'll know.  I'm not sure that one can deal with one's own death before the time comes, but I've done some preparations.  Namely I have a place picked out that I will arrive at upon just dying.  It's a vortex in Sedona that I visited recently.  Even if I find myself in Sedona I will not go back to that place.  It is reserved for my death so that I will know I have died. 

I'm only 35, but the first signs of my physical deterioration are arriving.  It's looking like I'll probably develop arthritis (my grandma was ate up with it).  The joints in my fingers are starting to give me mild pain from time to time.  Like a bruise, but with no bruising.  I've had a broken molar for a year or so now, but luckily there is no pain involved.  Other than those things it's taking me longer to recover from hard days of work than it used to.  I don't want you ole farts to think I'm complaining, I'm not, just chiming in with my thoughts on death and dying. 

Lately I've been thinking about death because of the things I just outlined.  I used to think about death and say "I'm not afraid to die."  I didn't have any physical signs of deterioration yet.  Now, just with the few minor things that have come about because my body is aging, I'm already thinking about it more.  I can't imagine what it will be like when I start having health problems due to my aging.  I'll get cancer at some point.  As far as I know 3 of my family members got cancer and two died from it.  Diabetes abounds as does heart disease.  I attribute all of the modern day health problems to the chemicals we've created that are ubiquitous in the air we breath, food we eat, and water we drink.  We have made our world toxic to human life.

I've watched people die on the back of an ambulance, and I've seen them dead before they even got a chance on the ambulance.  I've talked to people as they were dying and it certainly is the great equalizer of humanity. 

I think it's healthy to marinate on your mortality from time to time.  It helps keep things in perspective.  I read an article a while back that was written by a hospice nurse.  She said the number one thing that people regret on their death bed is that they didn't live life how they wanted to...they lived it how society wanted them toThey wished that they had done more of the things that they wanted to do. 

I think there is a lot of wisdom there.  We should all live as if we will die tomorrow, and we should live that way everyday.
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Hat Tip to GO
« Reply #4512 on: August 29, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
Sure. Also applies if you go back since BEFORE we went off gold.

No it doesn't MKing, you are unaware of monetary history.

Why would they go off it and disparage it if it wasn't in their way?

Your idea that the dim always use that the inflation is all relative and can be kept up with is fallacious and fools talk as well.

Your one of  those people that applies your experience and ability to cope to everyone else.

Go to a seniors center in your area and instead of bitching about your gout and bragging about your wonderful genes talk to some folks petrified of how to get through the month on and 800 dollar Social Security check and their 10,000 in savings with no interest on it. Good folks that worked all their life and trusted their government and it's currency.

You are clueless about the misery inflation inflicts upon millions of our citizens; that goes for you to Eddie with your callous insensitive remark about the price of hamburg. Be thankful you can dick some poor bastard out of a couple of hundred bucks because of a toothache; you may not always be that fortunate. Inflation is government stealing from the poor and the elderly as well as the trusting citizens of our country. Praise the heavens you have the ability to manage it.

We’re proud to collaborate with The Nation in sharing insightful journalism related to income inequality in America. The following is an excerpt from Nation contributor Greg Kaufmann’s “This Week in Poverty” column.

http://billmoyers.com/2013/06/22/the-older-americans-act-and-u-s-seniors/  :icon_study:

:emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

Apparently MKing, who accurately states that causality is important to scientists  ;), neglects to recognize the effects of inflation, DELIBERATELY ENGINEERED EFFECTS for BANKER SWAG, that CAUSE people on fixed incomes, like the older segment of the population, to lose buying power to the point of having to make choices between food and medications.

And that is just one of "coping strategies" that we-the-people at the wrong end of the economic inflation mechanism have to deal with.  :( :emthdown:

Inflation is analogous to a less sophisticated form of HFT (high frequency trading). Like the HFT, market gaming, parasitical mechanism designed to continuously take (steal) a tiny percentage off the top, the ONLY reason fiat currencies are created is for the express purpose of extracting a "first in line" percentage of buying power off the top BEFORE the masses have, NOT DRIVEN PRICES UP, but been FORCED to pay higher prices because the value of an item reflects the increased fiat money supply.

MKing sees everything in terms of supply and demand. That's incorrect in regard to fiat currencies. There is no "increase" in demand to raise the price of goods and services. There is simply a leveling effect from the increased money supply. It's an insidious effect, tantamount to wealth transfer (theft) form the masses to the elite pigs.

So, the banker elites make a PROFIT off the inflation engineered LOSS/MISERY of the rest of the populace.

This BLATENT cause and effect relationship of inflation seems to go right over MKing's "causality is important to us scientists" head.

I really wonder what part of INFLATION IS A WEALTH TRANSFER MECHANISM FROM THE MASSES TO THE BANKER ELITE  that MKing does not understand.  :icon_scratch:    :evil4:

Anyone that claims this is about supply and demand, see below:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:23:06 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
The old "National Security" trick - Flag Waving Draped Taxpayer Fleecing
« Reply #4513 on: August 30, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
The old "National Security" trick -  Flag Waving Draped Taxpayer Fleecing

A flight test body for a B61-12 nuclear weapon  Jerry Refern for Reveal

The B61-12 could be deployed by the new generation of F-35 fighter jets...
Agelbert NOTE:
A boondoggle bomb made by a welfare queen carried by a flying garage queen DUD made by another welfare queen.  >:(  :P

And then they say there is "just no money" for a 100% transition to a Renewable Energy based infrastructure... ::)

Inside the Most Expensive Nuclear Bomb Ever Made

Could America's latest atomic weapon ignite a new arms race?   ???

—By Len Ackland and Burt Hubbard

Engineers at the United States' nuclear weapons lab in Albuquerque, New Mexico, have spent the past few years designing and testing the B61-12, a high-tech addition to our nation's atomic arsenal. Unlike the free-fall gravity bombs it will replace, the B61-12 is a guided nuclear bomb. A new tail kit assembly, made by Boeing, enables the bomb to hit targets far more precisely than its predecessors.

Greg Maxon

Using "Dial-a-yield" technology, the bomb's explosive force can be adjusted before launch from a high of 50,000 tons of TNT equivalent to a low of 300 tons—that's 98 percent smaller than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima 70 years ago.

Despite these innovations, the government doesn't consider the B61-12 to be a new weapon but simply an upgrade. In the past, Congress has rejected funding for similar weapons, reasoning that more accurate, less powerful bombs were more likely to be used. In 2010, the Obama administration announced that it would not make any nuclear weapons with new capabilities. The White House and Pentagon insist that the B61-12 won't violate that pledge.

The B61-12 could be deployed by the new generation of F-35 fighter jets, a prospect that worries Hans Kristensen, a nuclear weapons expert at the Federation of American Scientists. "If the Russians put out a guided nuclear bomb on a stealthy fighter that could sneak through air defenses, would that add to the perception here that they were lowering the threshold for the use of nuclear weapons?" he asks. "Absolutely."

So far, most of the criticism of B61-12 has focused on its price tag. Once full production commences in 2020, the program will cost more than $11 billion for about 400 to 480 bombs—more than double the original estimate, making it the most expensive nuclear bomb ever built.

This story comes from our friends at Reveal. Read more of their coverage of the B61-12 and national security.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/07/nuclear-weapon-obama-most-expensive-ever

Agelbert NOTE: Readers should be reminded that  "National Security" for the nuke pukes is code speech for MIC nuke puke JOB security.

The bombs are just one part of the nuclear welfare queen SCAM.

Energy Department Issues Remaining $1.8 Billion in Loan Guarantees for Vogtle Advanced Nuclear Energy Project  >:(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:21:42 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Hummers and an Unscheduled Ford F-150 super cab Engine Overhaul
« Reply #4514 on: August 30, 2015, 04:22:41 PM »
Agelbert NOTE: I am congratulating fossil fueler MKing on the purchase of a Ford Fusion Energi EV.

Well done, MKing.   

I am relieved of the thought that you were going to "take advantage of low gasoline prices"  by buying a hummer.  ;D

I've already owned one. It was okay. 15 mpg around town, got as good as 19mpg on the highway. Used it for one family christmas trip. It was a bit tight for 4 people, the dog, and presents and stuff.

I had a brief job parking cars at the Park and Travel long term airport parking when I first moved my retired ass to Vermont. Having spent most of my working life inside a reinforced concrete windowless building (Enroute Air Traffic Control Center), I figured this was a chance to be outdoors 24/7 and get paid for it!

I confess to the gas guzzling pleasure of driving cars too (at least in 1996!). I got to drive Mercedes diesels, a hot Porsche and all kinds of vehicles I would have otherwise not driven because they are high price tag items. We even had that EV that GM destroyed on behalf of the fossil fuel industry parked there once. I didn't get a chance to park that one, though.

I got to drive a Hummer once. I was surprised that it had that that HUGE separation between the driver and the passenger in the front. I did not find the hummer to be anything but a rather clunky riding truck suitable for midgets with Napoleon complexes. How tall are you, MKing? (just kidding!  ;D)

Back in 1981, when you made your discoveries about how to deal with the status quo, I made a few discoveries of my own. I had a Ford F-150 super cab pickup that got about the same mileage as that hummer you had. :( I was working at Syracuse Tower (not where I could see outside - I was in automation at the time).  I had owned that pick up since 1977 and I was not a happy camper about the mileage, given the price shock in 1979. I would  ride a bike with a tiny roller drive motor on it to work during the summer (freezing my arse off at night because it used to go down to 45 in summertime Syracuse, New York back then. Even at 15 mph, 45 degrees is no fun at all for an 8 mile ride).

Of course in winter ( any part of the year that was not summer in Syracuse - only Buffalo gets more snow in the lower 48 USA than they do!), my fondly labeled "Arab buster" ;D ( I was a Republican back then!) was out of the question.

Just before the strike, Jeff Hall, the PATCO union rep, became all friendly with me even though previously he (along with most people there) had no use for me whatsoever because of my "low class" Hispanic heritage. I smelled a rat but did not say so. I simply told Mr. Hall that I had signed a contract when I hired on specifically pledging not to strike.

The strike came in August. The telephoned threats came right after that. At work, I went back to working airplanes instead of the computers that helped work airplanes. We worked 50 to 60 hours a week.

The union folks decided the spic needed a lesson. My F-150 crapped out. Courtesy Ford charged me about $1100 for a major overhaul. I specifically told the mechanic to give me an oil sample BEFORE the overhaul.

He "forgot". All I got from him was the scored cylinder sleeves. I took those to my insurance agent (vehicle vandalism repair costs were part of my homeowners policy).  He said, I'm sorry sir, company policy does not allow payment for damages if no oil sample is submitted and we get proof from a lab of adulteration. But thank you for insuring with Allstate. 

I'm sure the "bad memory" of the mechanic at Courtesy Ford had nothing whatsoever to do with the one thousand plus people march at the Syracuse airport terminal building SUPPORTING THE STRIKERS (that included a lot of employees from Courtesy ford...).

So we both learned a thing or two in 1981.

I'm sure my experience does not surprise you, considering the steps you take to avoid getting the short end of the stick, so to speak.

I bring them to your attention, not so you will say, "No shit Sherlock, where'd you get the first clue?", but as proof that some people, quixotic though their behavior may appear, refuse to go with the "fuck your buddy to stay ahead of the game" Social Darwinist program.

Of course, folks like me often end up living in manufactured homes and driving 20 year old gas guzzlers. I simply do not consider the outward accoutrements of  materialism a true measure of success.

Lucid said,
I think it's healthy to marinate on your mortality from time to time.  It helps keep things in perspective.  I read an article a while back that was written by a hospice nurse.  She said the number one thing that people regret on their death bed is that they didn't live life how they wanted to...they lived it how society wanted them to.  They wished that they had done more of the things that they wanted to do. 

I think there is a lot of wisdom there.  We should all live as if we will die tomorrow, and we should live that way everyday.

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,559.msg84109/topicseen.html

I agree. and because I live my life, particularly since 1981, as if I might die tomorrow (or today), I have lived my life the way I think is the best way to live it, regardless of what society wants or expects from me.

When I go to my grave, I will have some regrets, but they are all from my behavior prior to my 1978-1981 epiphany.

You may say, as any materially successful chap might say to my "sermon" about the joys of principled poverty  ;D, that I'm just rationalizing the shaft job I have gotten from society because I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to overcome life's " normal Social Darwinian challenges", as the materially successful chap DID and DOES. 

But I might counter that it is the materially successful chap that is doing the rationalizing (see what Lucid said.  8)).
Faith,