AuthorTopic: The Volkswagen Scandal  (Read 3425 times)

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Volkswagen Scandal
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
MK: Depending on which endowment estimate you like, humans have used 1.2 trill barrels out of 8 to 14 trillion. So sure…oil has been getting scarcer since 1859 and yet…here we all are…

Yes, the future is sure to be like the past.  What percentage of those trillions of barrels do you think can actually be extracted?

I missed the question here the first time around. The appropriate answer to your question, related to percentage, is..at what price?

The USGS wrote back in the late 90's that all known and undiscovered accumulations can conceivably be recovered, 100%. The only issue is cost. I believe that they are correct, which is why I can only answer the question the way I just did.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Volkswagen Scandal
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
Vdub will fair well with the EPA. To the tune of $18b in fines. They'll never pay it.

I've heard rumors that VW will hit the U.S. market with an all electric retro bus.  :icon_scratch:

VW will just stop importing the TDI powerplant here in the U.S. No big deal.

That is certainly one of the fears from the consumers perspective, because their diesels are nice cars. But it just won't matter if they can't get past the EPA.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama