AuthorTopic: Enneagram Psychological Profiling  (Read 38427 times)

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Add Guy to the list of Burnt Out Bloggers.
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »
Type Eight Overview:

Eights understand that this requires strength, will, persistence, and endurance—

Famous Examples

... Ernest Hemingway

The man who blew his head off with a shotgun, for merely one example. By the time I finish this thread I promise you I going to burn this fucking test.
Gotta go with the wrench. Because fuck you.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 27, 2016, 04:01:29 AM »

I have no wish to be counted out of a list of necessarily flawed people.
That's reasonable.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 27, 2016, 04:23:38 AM »
Type Eight Overview:

Eights understand that this requires strength, will, persistence, and endurance—

Famous Examples

... Ernest Hemingway

The man who blew his head off with a shotgun, for merely one example. By the time I finish this thread I promise you I going to burn this fucking test.

Well, we all Buy our own ticket to the great beyond at some point in some way.  My literary hero Hunter S. Thompson blew his brains out with a Smith & Wesson I think.

In both cases though, they were well up in years walking the earth.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Enneagram Psychological Profiling
« Reply #288 on: November 27, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »
Hunter S. Thompson blew his brains out with a Smith & Wesson I think.

Both Hemingway and Thompson were old men with a history of depression and alcoholism, and in HT's case, chronic pain from a hip replacement.  I don't see either of their deaths as any kind of statement about their individual personality types.

The Enneagram can be a powerful tool for those interested in learning about that way of knowledge, but not everyone has the kind of introspective bent that lends itself to such a complicated and interactive system. The Enneagram should be thought of, not as a static symbol, but as a sort of elegant flow chart.

Any expert in that area will tell you that tests are not the best way to even determine your own E-type. The tests are a kind of reverse engineered way of figuring it out. The traditional way requires time, and a large panel of people. You learn your E-type by listening to those people tell their individual narratives, one at a time, until at some point it clicks and you have that "aha" moment....and you realize "That's me!".
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 27, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
I have no wish to be counted out of a list of necessarily flawed people.

Not sure by what you mean by that. To say that anyone is flawed requires a value judgment on your part. In one sense, we're ALL flawed....bent by the daily traumas of our individual lives, especially in that critical age range of zero to four years old.

In another sense, we are all perfectly just WHO WE ARE. You are perfectly you, and I am perfectly me.

Each of us has a false self, which is a pattern of learned behavior that we adopted early in life to deal with whatever particular weirdness we got slammed with in our family of origin. The benefit of studying personalities is that hopefully one can identify the part of us that was learned, right or wrong, early in life...and to let go of whatever part of that which no longer serves us.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:47:35 PM by Eddie »

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #290 on: November 27, 2016, 02:08:42 PM »
I just saw this thread today and started reading it.  Then I went to the Enneagram site that Eddie linked to and read the whole thing.  I'm on the sixth page of this thread and I'm getting somewhat tired of reading it, so I'm going to take a break from it for now.  I'll take the test Eddie linked to soon and finish reading this thread. 

After what I have read though I'd say I'm a 5 with a 4 wing with the sexual instinct.  What do you think Eddie?  I'll post the results of the test here after I take it. 

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2016, 02:26:03 PM »
My test results

You are most likely a type 1.

Taking wings into account, you seem to be a 1w9.

Wing 1w9 - 13.9
Wing 9w1 - 12.7
Wing 1w2 - 11
Wing 9w8 - 10.9
Wing 8w9 - 10.3
Wing 5w4 - 9.7
Wing 5w6 - 9.6
Wing 8w7 - 7.8
Wing 2w1 - 7
Wing 2w3 - 2.9

5w6 wing 9.6?  Hmmm.  It's complex. I think I should get and read a book on this.  I've been wanting a good read lately. 

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 27, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
I would not have guessed you were a one, LD, but it's possible. It's easier for me to say what you aren't.

Not a 2
Not a 3
Not a 6
Not a 7
Not an 8

I would have guessed a 4, 5....maybe a 9. For me, it took a while to sort it out. If you keep reading about it, it will come to you. You need to get a grounding in what each type is really all about. Some of them made sense to me immediately...but some didn't. I still don't really understand 6's very well. They're just very foreign to my way of thinking.

Don't rush to judgment. Read a couple of the easier intro books....don't start with Riso and Hudson. Work up to that. They try to be so comprehensive it all gets too dense.

Go for these.

I see Helen Palmer, who is another long time teacher of this stuff, seems to have a new website with lots of resources.

http://www.enneagram.com/

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #293 on: November 27, 2016, 03:07:28 PM »
I've been wanting a good read lately.
Funny you should say that, I was just thinking about how you might benefit from holistic decision making in trying to figure out your future, and what I could recommend for you to read.... these are in order of shortest and simplest to longest and most comprehensive.

Whole-Farm Planning: Ecological Imperatives, Personal Values, and Economics (Organic Principles and Practices Handbook Series)
I took a two-day workshop with the second author, using a previous version of this book.  He blogs at http://karlnorth.com/

At Home with Holistic Management: Creating a Life of Meaning
Never did get around to getting a copy of this one, it's a little less farm-oriented.

Holistic Management: A Commonsense Revolution to Restore Our Environment
I went to the PASA conference where the author was the keynote speaker and got the previous edition autographed.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 27, 2016, 04:32:09 PM »
I've decided it wouldn't be ethical for me to guess at other Diner's personality types without their desire for me to do so. Also it's easier to make a mistake with people I only know online. It can be quite tricky to figure out sometimes.

I'm cool with anyone guessing mine. I'm currently trying to find the test in this thread. Perhaps I was a bit harsh on it as a tool, but that's part of my scientific and conceptual integrity. If I think the test has problems, I will call them out. I'll post the results, but it'll be a while for any criticism since it'd be quite an essay.
Gotta go with the wrench. Because fuck you.