PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Sound of One Hand Clapping

AuthorTopic: The Sound of One Hand Clapping  (Read 35417 times)

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
Re: The Sound of One Hand Clapping
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »

For the die-hard skeptics, there's no hope.  For the undecided, here's a way to explain it: this storm is called a polar vortex, it's like a winter hurricane

How is it like a winter hurricane?  I know hurricane's have a lot of energy, but this is the opposite.  Cold is the lack of energy.  But then winter V summer.  So I think I get it. 

and normally it stays trapped up by the poles because of the strong difference in temperatures.

I'm just showing my ignorance here.  But how does this work?  Does the heat from the Equator push the cold back?  This is an area I've always been interested in but have never studied...the weather. 

I met a dude once.  One of the only black dudes in my NNPTC class (navel nuclear power training command)...I think there were four in a class of 30 somethin' (which...fuck you if you call any kind of race shit from this story...I'm just tellin' the facts).  Anyways, this dude didn't make it.  They had his sorry ass in that classroom for 35 extra hours a week and we were already in that classroom from 0645 to 1730 hrs.  So after making him damn near psychotic trying to stuff nuclear physics into his noggin, the finally let him go. 

Well he had the choice of any job the USN had on offer for enlisted personnel. 

I liked this dude.  He was like Bubba from Forest Gump.  And I enjoyed conversing with his jovial self.  He was likely a savant. 

Anyways, he choose to be a "weather man" for the navy.  Which was apparently the next hardest program.  The weather. 

One day, he was gone...never heard from him again.

As the poles warm, it is more likely to break free from the poles.

This is what really confused me...and launched me into this comment.  Please explain this.  And I don't want shit to go read...explain it in JW style. 

:emthup:

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
  • "Dream your happiest dream vividly awake."
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »
@Uncle Bob - that may very well be me.  8)

This is the only place on the  net that really seems to fit me. CollapseNet - nah. Why does it seem cheesy and non-useful to me? NBL - we all no its issues. Survival Acres - no way to really participate other than comments, and there is only one voice. Lots of good info, though. What else is there? Rawles' Survival Blog - sorry, I don't have a few hundred K to build a bunker.

And you've got everything here... spirituality, philosophy, and other related aspects of collapse/reset/ecocatastrophe/bottleneck, along with the practical stuff we really need.
ALSO shared on the diner facebook page... we gotta draw 'em in!  Save as many as we can!

Welcome Publius.  I enjoy your posts.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
For the die-hard skeptics, there's no hope.  For the undecided, here's a way to explain it: this storm is called a polar vortex, it's like a winter hurricane

How is it like a winter hurricane?  I know hurricane's have a lot of energy, but this is the opposite.  Cold is the lack of energy.  But then winter V summer.  So I think I get it. 
Only when you get close to absolute zero is cold really a lack of energy.  What matters here are differences in temperature and their corresponding differences in pressure.  So in the summer you can have 90 deg water and 30 deg clouds or in the winter you can have 0 deg ground and -60 deg clouds, it's still a 60 degree differential.
and normally it stays trapped up by the poles because of the strong difference in temperatures.

I'm just showing my ignorance here.  But how does this work?  Does the heat from the Equator push the cold back?  This is an area I've always been interested in but have never studied...the weather. 
As the poles warm, it is more likely to break free from the poles.
This is what really confused me...and launched me into this comment.  Please explain this.  And I don't want shit to go read...explain it in JW style. 
 :emthup:
The energy in the wind following the differences in the temperatures is like water flowing down a gentle hill. The pole is the lowest spot and the water tends to drain out there.  Like a bathtub, you tend to get a a vortex going around the drain.  As long as the drain keeps draining, the vortex stays there.  The movement of the water down the hill pushes it towards the drain.  If the drain gets backed up so the water level (i.e. temperature by analogy) rises, then there isn't as much movement towards the drain.

That help?
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2014, 09:44:58 PM »
El Rush Bo's Golden Shower?
El Rush Bo's Golden Shower?

El crudity es muy bueno hilariouso.

Seriously guys...I laughed until I cried.  My sleeves are wet from tears of laughter.

Yep, most days something gives me a good chuckle on the diner, The ass is too skinny !!! But I laughed MY ass off.

Yeah... I accept and acknowledge and agree with your assessment of my rendition of the size of El Rush Bo's ASS.

Are we really talking about this?  :)

LOL!  Yep, yes, si', we are.

Lovin' it.

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
As  a courtesy to you and the great majority of diner's who adhere to your philosophy, I will keep my negative views on the matter as subdued as possible to comply with your request.                           

Subduing your Negativity is a start, but how about getting POSITIVE with CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS?  Besides piling up Gold Bricks in the Basement Safe.  We already got that one.

RE

I thought I had offered the opinion that the internet might offer and avenue for us to send out the message of Alarm Grave Danger Around The Corner, with some real creative thinking.

I offered the miracle of all us Diners meeting and becoming intimate friends and able to discuss so much together as proof of the positive capability of the medium. Often I read of a tweet or a short video going VIRAL as the internet geeks call it and receiving millions of hits. Why couldn't a combined effort by some of our Big Brain Diner members do something similar, or try it at least. We might be able to start a message of Wake Up with the youth of the world that spreads into a major movement to avert the path we are on.

The only protection from Doomsday is a joint effort to prevent it in my view.

A joint effort.  That's it.

I can agree with that.

LD and I do still plan to unleash many videos...time and circumstances allowing with two children to be ever-present for.

One step at a time.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2014, 11:15:51 PM »
yes JW, that did help.

I get the gradient, doesn't matter the temp, just the difference in temp.

So the poles are like a cold heat sink of sorts.  Sucking cold to the poles.  But now it's losing it's ability to suck cold, so cold is backing up?

I'm at the end of wine myself tonight...so my comprehension is probably lackluster at this point.  But I feel I understand your statements better now.  Which was the point in asking the questions. 

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »

I like this video, very simply put:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_nzwJg4Ebzo#ws]Jennifer Francis - Understanding the Jetstream - m[/url]&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_nzwJg4Ebzo#ws]Jennifer Francis - Understanding the Jetstream - m[/url]&fs=1</a>