AuthorTopic: Another Day Another Shooter  (Read 21591 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Day Another Shooter
« Reply #285 on: March 22, 2018, 12:24:43 AM »
I've tried to find out about him but nothing really weird is jumping out so far.  No weirdness that a lot of us have not experienced.  I have the religious family background myself but I never wanted to blow people up because of it.  His political ideas seemed within a normal range though the media is trying to spin them as extreme.  People say he must have snapped.  I'm finding it odd, though people usually do say the perpetrator was never that kind of guy.  It is said that he liked to debate but it must not have been of the healthy kind where you examine another's point of view.  It must have been the kind where debate means defeating another at all cost.  Debate where winnin not lernin matters.  I doubt he would have hung around here five minutes.

I think the whole "he SNAPPED" concept is kind of flawed.  I'll write more about that maybe tomorrow.  Getting kind of beat now.  Need a nap.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »
I've tried to find out about him but nothing really weird is jumping out so far.  No weirdness that a lot of us have not experienced.  I have the religious family background myself but I never wanted to blow people up because of it.  His political ideas seemed within a normal range though the media is trying to spin them as extreme.  People say he must have snapped.  I'm finding it odd, though people usually do say the perpetrator was never that kind of guy.  It is said that he liked to debate but it must not have been of the healthy kind where you examine another's point of view.  It must have been the kind where debate means defeating another at all cost.  Debate where winnin not lernin matters.  I doubt he would have hung around here five minutes.

I think the whole "he SNAPPED" concept is kind of flawed.  I'll write more about that maybe tomorrow.  Getting kind of beat now.  Need a nap.

RE

It happens all the time.

"He would have never done a thing like that.", "It's not like him", "He was such a nice young man."

Perhaps people like to say he snapped because it lets them off a psychological hook.  If they had known they would have done something; but how could they have known would be their thoughts.  A little mental dance so they can feel good about not doing anything.  Not that anyone could, would, or have even been at all able to see a mental cesspool under a particular shooters skull to begin with in the brief encounters of modern life. 

Someone who knew a shooter does not have to feel bad for reasons which make sense.  Just knowing a murderous bastard could be enough to make you feel dirty.   Saying "He Snapped" then could make one feel better even when there is no good reason to feel bad in the first place.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 22, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »

Same here.

As my wife says, home-schooled kids tend to be well educated but poorly socialized. I read that he lost his job a few months back. The employer's statement was that he was given chances to correct whatever the issues were, and he wasn't compliant. Who knows, on that. He was very young still, and probably took that firing hard. Maybe thought he was in the right (and maybe he was, dunno). For a conscientious person, getting terminated is a blow.

His belief system might have made him unpopular among the typical young crowd here. It's a party town.

I wish I understood better. Anyone who is okay with causing harm to total strangers as an act of self-expression has a big personality defect. No empathy. Maybe a type of sociopath.

I'd guess he was an Enneagram Type 1.

Type One in Brief

Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.

Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
    Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced
    Enneagram One with a Nine-Wing: "The Idealist"
    Enneagram One with a Two-Wing: "The Advocate"

Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.
The Meaning of the Arrows (in brief)

When moving in their Direction of Disintegration (stress), methodical Ones suddenly become moody and irrational at Four. However, when moving in their Direction of Integration (growth), angry, critical Ones become more spontaneous and joyful, like healthy Sevens. Learn more about the arrows.

Examples: Confucius, Plato, Salahuddin Ayyubi, Joan of Arc, Sir Thomas More, Mahatma Gandhi, Pope John Paul II, Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher, Prince Charles, Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, Jimmy Carter, Michelle Obama, Al Gore, Hilary Clinton, Rudy Giuliani, Elliot Spitzer, Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, Osama bin Laden, George Bernard Shaw, Thoreau, Dr. Jack Kevorkian, Anita Roddick (The Body Shop), Martha Stewart, Chef Thomas Keller, Michio Kushi (macrobiotics), George Harrison, Joan Baez, Celine Dion, Ralph Nader, Noam Chomsky, Bill Moyers, George F. Will, William F. Buckley, Keith Olbermann, Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Maher, Tina Fey, Katherine Hepburn, Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson, Julie Andrews, Vanessa Redgrave, Jane Fonda, Meryl Streep, Harrison Ford, Helen Hunt, Captain “Sully” Sullenberger, “Mary Poppins,” “Mr. Spock,” SNL’s “The Church Lady”
Type One Overview

We have named personality type One The Reformer because Ones have a “sense of mission” that leads them to want to improve the world in various ways, using whatever degree of influence they have. They strive to overcome adversity—particularly moral adversity—so that the human spirit can shine through and make a difference. They strive after “higher values,” even at the cost of great personal sacrifice.

History is full of Ones who have left comfortable lives to do something extraordinary because they felt that something higher was calling them. During the Second World War, Raoul Wallenburg left a comfortable middle-class life to work for the protection of thousands of European Jews from invading Nazis. In India, Gandhi left behind his wife and family and life as a successful lawyer to become an itinerant advocate of Indian independence and non-violent social changes. Joan of Arc left her village in France to restore the throne to the Dauphin and to expel the English from the country. The idealism of each of these Ones has inspired millions.

Ones are people of practical action—they wish to be useful in the best sense of the word. On some level of consciousness, they feel that they “have a mission” to fulfill in life, if only to try their best to reduce the disorder they see in their environment.

Although Ones have a strong sense of purpose, they also typically feel that they have to justify their actions to themselves, and often to others as well. This orientation causes Ones to spend a lot of time thinking about the consequences of their actions, as well as about how to keep from acting contrary to their convictions. Because of this, Ones often persuade themselves that they are “head” types, rationalists who proceed only on logic and objective truth. But, the real picture is somewhat different: Ones are actually activists who are searching for an acceptable rationale for what they feel they must do. They are people of instinct and passion who use convictions and judgments to control and direct themselves and their actions.

In the effort to stay true to their principles, Ones resist being affected by their instinctual drives, consciously not giving in to them or expressing them too freely. The result is a personality type that has problems with repression, resistance, and aggression. They are usually seen by others as highly self- controlled, even rigid, although this is not how Ones experience themselves. It seems to them that they are sitting on a cauldron of passions and desires, and they had better “keep the lid on” lest they and everyone else around them regret it.

Cassandra is a therapist in private practice who recalls the difficulty this caused her in her youth.

“I remember in high school getting feedback that I had no feelings. Inside, I felt my feelings intensely and yet I just couldn’t let them out as intensely as I felt them. Even now, if I have a conflict with a friend and need to address an issue, I rehearse ahead of time how to express clearly what I want, need, and observe, and yet not be harsh or blaming in my anger which is often scathing.”

Ones believe that being strict with themselves (and eventually becoming “perfect”) will justify them in their own eyes and in the eyes of others. But by attempting to create their own brand of perfection, they often create their own personal hell. Instead of agreeing with the statement in Genesis that God saw what He had created, “and it was good,” Ones intensely feel that “It wasn’t—there obviously have been some mistakes here!” This orientation makes it difficult for them to trust their inner guidance—indeed, to trust life—so Ones come to rely heavily on their superego, a learned voice from their childhood, to guide them toward “the greater good” which they so passionately seek. When Ones have gotten completely entranced in their personality, there is little distinction between them and this severe, unforgiving voice. Separating from it and seeing its genuine strengths and limitations is what growth for Ones is about.

(from The Wisdom of the Enneagram, p. 99-100)
Listen: Don Riso Discusses Type One
Type One—Levels of Development

Healthy Levels

Level 1 (At Their Best): Become extraordinarily wise and discerning. By accepting what is, they become transcendentally realistic, knowing the best action to take in each moment. Humane, inspiring, and hopeful: the truth will be heard.

Level 2: Conscientious with strong personal convictions: they have an intense sense of right and wrong, personal religious and moral values. Wish to be rational, reasonable, self-disciplined, mature, moderate in all things.

Level 3: Extremely principled, always want to be fair, objective, and ethical: truth and justice primary values. Sense of responsibility, personal integrity, and of having a higher purpose often make them teachers and witnesses to the truth.

Average Levels

Level 4: Dissatisfied with reality, they become high-minded idealists, feeling that it is up to them to improve everything: crusaders, advocates, critics. Into "causes" and explaining to others how things "ought" to be.

Level 5: Afraid of making a mistake: everything must be consistent with their ideals. Become orderly and well-organized, but impersonal, puritanical, emotionally constricted, rigidly keeping their feelings and impulses in check. Often workaholics—"anal-compulsive," punctual, pedantic, and fastidious.

Level 6: Highly critical both of self and others: picky, judgmental, perfectionistic. Very opinionated about everything: correcting people and badgering them to "do the right thing"—as they see it. Impatient, never satisfied with anything unless it is done according to their prescriptions. Moralizing, scolding, abrasive, and indignantly angry.

Unhealthy Levels

Level 7: Can be highly dogmatic, self-righteous, intolerant, and inflexible. Begin dealing in absolutes: they alone know "The Truth." Everyone else is wrong: very severe in judgments, while rationalizing own actions.

Level 8: Become obsessive about imperfection and the wrongdoing of others, although they may fall into contradictory actions, hypocritically doing the opposite of what they preach.

Level 9: Become condemnatory toward others, punitive and cruel to rid themselves of wrongdoers. Severe depressions, nervous breakdowns, and suicide attempts are likely. Generally corresponds to the Obsessive-Compulsive and Depressive personality disorders.

Compatibility with Other Types
Type 1 in relationship with type:
1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9
Misidentification with Other Types
Type 1 compared with type:
2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9
Addictions

Excessive use of diets, vitamins, and cleansing techniques (fasts, diet pills, enemas). Under-eating for self-control: in extreme cases anorexia and bulimia. Alcohol to relieve tension.

Personal Growth Recommendations
for Enneagram Type Ones

Learn to relax. Take some time for yourself, without feeling that everything is up to you or that what you do not accomplish will result in chaos and disaster. Mercifully, the salvation of the world does not depend on you alone, even though you may sometimes feel it does.
    You have a lot to teach others and are probably a good teacher, but do not expect others to change immediately. What is obvious to you may not be as obvious to them, especially if they are not used to being as self-disciplined and objective about themselves as you are about yourself. Many people may also want to do what is right and may agree with you in principle but for various reasons simply cannot change right away. The fact that others do not change immediately according to your prescriptions does not mean that they will not change sometime in the future. Your words and above all, your example may do more good than you realize, although they may take longer than you expect. So have patience.
    It is easy for you to work yourself up into a lather about the wrongdoings of others. And it may sometimes be true that they are wrong. But what is it to you? Your irritation with them will do nothing to help them see another way of being. Similarly, beware of your constant irritation with your own "shortcomings." Does your own harsh self-criticism really help you to improve? Or does it simply make you tense, nervous, and self-doubting? Learn to recognize the attacks of your superego and how they undermine rather than help you.
    It is important for you to get in touch with your feelings, particularly your unconscious impulses. You may find that you are uneasy with your emotions and your sexual and aggressive impulses—in short, with the messy human things that make us human. It might be beneficial to keep a journal or to get into some kind of group therapy or other group work both to develop your emotions and to see that others will not condemn you for having human needs and limitations.
    Your Achilles' heel is your self-righteous anger. You get angry easily and are offended by what seems to you to be the perverse refusal of others to do the right thing—as you have defined it. Try to step back and see that your anger alienates people so that they cannot hear many of the good things you have to say. Further, your own repressed anger may well be giving you an ulcer or high blood pressure and is a harbinger of worse things to come.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
Some bits from the bomber's long rambling confession are leaking, although it has not been made public.

He realized he fucked up when he went into the Fedex store, and was angry with himself for doing something he figured was going to get him caught. He didn't want to get caught, and he wanted to blow up more people. He was disappointed to be stopped before he killed more people.

He said he wished he was sorry, but that he wasn't sorry. He said he thought he'd been a psychopath since he was a child.

The Fedex bomb that did not explode and was secured by police was addressed to some young woman at her work downtown in a day spa. She says she never knew him at all and has no idea why she might have been a target. He had a list of future targets (and a lot more bombs) Nothing has been said about how he chose the victims.

He was planning to blow himself up inside a crowded McDonalds if the cops closed in, but he didn't get the chance, as it turned out.

All this according to the local radio jocks.

They also said that the cops just now released one of his two roommates after grilling him since yesterday morning. The other roommate was questioned yesterday at the house they lived in, but was not detained.

I didn't figure the confession would be made public, but maybe it will be. I'd like to view it. It's in the form of a 28 minute cell phone video, and he made it only hours prior to his death.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔫 Tens of thousands expected to participate in March for Our Lives
« Reply #289 on: March 24, 2018, 12:37:35 AM »
10's of 1000s.  Whoop-dee-doo.  When they can pull a 1,000,000, they might get some attention.  Might.

RE

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tens-thousands-expected-participate-march-our-lives-n859616

Tens of thousands expected to participate in March for Our Lives

"Let us pray with our legs, let us march in unison to the rhythm of justice, because I say enough is enough," said one Parkland shooting survivor.
by Phil McCausland / Mar.23.2018 / 2:35 PM ET / Updated 4:34 PM ET

David Hogg, a senior from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, speaks during a rally with Thurgood Marshall Academy students in advance of Saturday's March for Our Lives event, in Washington on March 22, 2018.Eric Thayer / Reuters

Tens of thousands of kids across the country are expected to participate in rallies Saturday as part of the March for Our Lives movement that was born out of the Valentine’s Day school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that killed 17 students and staff members.

The main event will occur in Washington, where student survivors from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School will lead a march down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas students arrive in Washington for 'March for Our Lives'
01:29

The students intend to send a message to President Donald Trump and Congress and demand that their politicians pursue gun legislation to make it harder to acquire firearms. Their goal is to stem “the epidemic of mass schools shootings that has become all too familiar," according to their mission statement.

Demetri Hoth, a senior at Stoneman Douglas, spoke alongside Florida politicians and other students from D.C., Chicago and Minneapolis at a press conference at Capitol Hill on Friday.

“I stand before you here today to invite you, students and parents across America: Let us pray with our legs, let us march in unison to the rhythm of justice, because I say enough is enough," Hoth said.

March for Our Lives events Friday included a voter registration drive, a concert and a candlelight vigil.
 Lori Alhadeff and her husband Ilan Alhadeff, right, hold a picture of their daughter Alyssa Alhadeff, a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting victim, during a news conference on gun control March 23, 2018 on Capitol Hill in Washington. Alex Wong / Getty Images

A Rock the Vote event — hosted by the National Education Association and run in partnership with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the National Urban League — took place Friday at 6 p.m.

A benefit concert at 6:30 p.m. was scheduled to include a number of notable artists, including Fall Out Boy, G-Eazy, Bebe Rexha, Lizzo and others. At 7 p.m., the Washington National Cathedral will host an interfaith prayer vigils for those who planned to participate in the march.

Prior to all three events, some Parkland students met with members of Congress and former Vice President Joe Biden in private meetings, while others shared their mass shooting experiences at the Newseum.

All seemed to push for the same thing, however: more restrictive gun laws.

“Stop being coerced by the NRA,” Hoth said, speaking to Congress. “I urge you propose meaningful gun safety laws, vote yea to bills that advance gun control, and sing along with us to the melody of justice, never again, never again, never again.”
Related
OPINION: How mass shootings are affecting America's children — and how we can help

The Washington Metropolitan Police have limited the event to three entrances where participants may join the march on Saturday. Organizers expect around 30,000 people to attend Saturday’s rally.

“The support we've gotten is unimaginable,” said Casey Sherman, a Stoneman Douglas junior and one of the main organizers. “So we're really excited for this Saturday: It's going to be incredible. I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of all the work that we and students across the country and across the world have been doing.”

Sherman said that approximately 20 Stoneman Douglas students had worked to organize the march, but he said many more would be pitching in on Saturday.
 Alfonso Calderon, a junior from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, speaks during a rally with Thurgood Marshall Academy students in advance of Saturday's March for Our Lives event, in Washington on March 22, 2018. Eric Thayer / Reuters

Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., told MSNBC that the country owed a debt to this group of Parkland students, who he planned to meet prior to the march.

“I’m going to look them in the eye and say, thank you to the students of Parkland and the students around the country who are finally changing the conversation here on Capitol Hill,” he said.

And those students aren’t holding back. The March for Our Lives website allows attendees to print out a “price tag” of $1.05 to wear at the event. That price is the amount the NRA contributed to Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., divided by the number of students in Florida, which organizers argue is how much each student is worth to the two-term senator.

The event also aims to be a massive voter registration push, as participants are encouraged to download “Voter Registration Toolkits” that are state specific and ensure those they know join the voter rolls.

While tens of thousands of marchers are expected to join in throughout the United States — with demonstrations planned in Boston, Chicago, Baltimore, Los Angeles — there are a handful of solidarity events organized on Friday and Saturday in countries across the globe. Rallies are planned in Israel, New Zealand, Australia, the U.K. Japan, Belgium, India, France and Chile.

Everytown for Gun Safety and Giffords Courage, gun control advocacy groups, are helping the sister marches throughout the country coordinate with the March for Our Lives movement, and they’re also acting as advisers to the teen organizers.

“We've really been getting a lot of advice and help in that area from people who have that experience,” Sherman said. “Of course we're advising [on] everything … but we've really been focusing on those last kind of little final pieces ... that'll make our march so much more.”

A number of celebrities showered praise on the students. Some, including Miley Cyrus, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ariana Grande, Demi Lovato, Common and Ben Platt, also planned to join them on Saturday.

Meanwhile, back in Parkland, their teachers and parents also applauded the students’ efforts.

Gregory Pittman, an American history teacher, said at a Stoneman Douglas pep rally on Tuesday that he was proud of his students, as they had taken what they’d learned in the classroom and applied it in the real world. He believed that this movement would only continue to grow.

“This is not the end of what they're going to do,” he said. “This is only the beginning both in Florida and definitely in Washington. We've only started in Washington.”
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:04:42 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🔫 Tens of thousands expected to participate in March for Our Lives
« Reply #290 on: March 24, 2018, 12:48:44 PM »
10's of 1000s.  Whoop-dee-doo.  When they can pull a 1,000,000, they might get some attention.  Might.

RE

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tens-thousands-expected-participate-march-our-lives-n859616

"Let us pray with our legs, let us march in unison to the rhythm of justice, because I say enough is enough," said one Parkland shooting survivor.

Often wrong, but NEVER in doubt. Over 800,000 in DC. Many saying the event was larger than Dup's inauguration, even though he instructed the Park webcams to be pointed away from the crowds. Plenty of other images, though. In Norfolk the event was far larger than the women's march. Police told organizers that this was the largest march ever in Norfolk. Contrary was there and got some pix.

Norfolk

What you can barely see is the head of the parade meeting the tail, a route of more than 20 blocks!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 24, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »

RE

Often wrong, but NEVER in doubt. Over 800,000 in DC.

Didn't crack the 1M mark.  I was right as usual.  You can't stand being wrong all the time, can you? :P

Also, it won't make any difference on legislation, they all go home tomorrow and it's BAU on Monday in CONgress.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #292 on: March 24, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »

RE

Didn't crack the 1M mark.  I was right as usual.  You can't stand being wrong all the time, can you? :P

Also, it won't make any difference on legislation, they all go home tomorrow and it's BAU on Monday in CONgress.

RE

They got all day attention all day on Cable news, you old troll.

I wouldn't know anything about being wrong. But I'll give you this: they won't change any minds.

They'll elect new representatives.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 24, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »

RE

RE

They got all day attention all day on Cable news, you old troll.

I wouldn't know anything about being wrong. But I'll give you this: they won't change any minds.

They'll elect new representatives.

That is what *I* have been saying, YOU are the one who nay-says that the Repugnants are too well entrenched with Gerrymandering districts!!!  ::)  You're worse than Ambrose flipping argument sides on a post by post basis.

However, even if both houses of CONgress get flipped Blue, the new Pols will also be bought off by Big Money.

RE
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:37:30 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
You're STILL wrong.

March for Our Lives could be the biggest single-day protest in D.C.'s history

, USA TODAYPublished 1:00 p.m. ET March 24, 2018 | Updated 7:05 a.m. ET March 25, 2018

From Washington D.C. to Paris, young voices resound in protest against gun violence. USA TODAY

LINKEDIN 67COMMENTMORE

March for Our Lives organizers estimate 800,000 protesters attended the gun-control demonstration in Washington, D.C. on Saturday.

If they're correct, the event would be the largest single-day protest in the history of the nation's capital. The total is bigger than  the inaugural Women's March, which brought 500,000 to D.C., according to the Washington Post

The number doesn't include large rallies in cities such as Boston, Houston, Minneapolis and Parkland, Fla., the site of the Valentine's Day attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 17 people dead. 

Organizers of the March for Our Lives rally had hoped to exceed the half million protesters mark. The Women's March, which took place the day after Trump's inauguration, is considered the biggest one-day protest in recorded history, according to the Washington Post.

Other large protests in D.C. history include the 500,000 to 600,000 people who demonstrated against the Vietnam War in D.C. in 1969. The March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom on Aug. 28, 1963, drew about 250,000 people to D.C. where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his famous "I have a dream" speech. And the Million Man March in 1995 garnered estimates of between 450,000 to 1.1 million people, according to the Encyclopedia Brittanica

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Let's pile on. Feel free to have some evidence with that crow y0u're eating.   :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

At 1 million plus strong, March for Our Lives rallies make powerful statement

At 1 million plus strong, March for Our Lives rallies make powerful statement

Christal Hayes, David Jackson, Ashley Collins and Alia Dastagir, USA TODAYPublished 12:01 a.m. ET March 24, 2018 | Updated 12:08 a.m. ET March 25, 2018

CLOSE

Protestors make their way onto Pennsylvania Avenue for the "March for Our Lives" in this time-lapse video. Jasper Colt/USA TODAY

LINKEDIN 251COMMENTMORE

Well over 1 million students — and their supporters — packed the streets in Washington, D.C., and around the globe Saturday to make a powerful statement against gun violence and call on lawmakers to pass stricter laws or face their wrath at the polls.

Busload after busload filled the nation's capital with students from across the country, including some from as far away as California and Minnesota, for the March for Our Lives, a rally announced just days after a Valentine's Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

In passionate speeches, students from Marjory Stoneman gave a rallying cry to wild cheers from the thousands assembled along Pennsylvania Avenue. 

"We are going to make this the voting issue," said David Hogg, a Stoneman Douglas student and organizer of the march. "We are going to take this to every election, to every state, and every city. We are going to make sure the best people get in our elections to run not as politicians, but as Americans." 

tearful Emma Gonzalez, whose speech at a Fort Lauderdale rally three days after the Valentine's Day shooting galvanized the student movement, paid tribute to all of her fallen friends who "would never again" do the simplest things in life. She then stood silently for several minutes before the crowd, a painful hush marking the little over six minutes it took for the gunman to snuff out 17 lives.

"Fight for your lives before it is someone else's job," Gonzalez implored.

Cameron Kasky, another Stoneman Douglas student, said the student movement's message to politicians was simple: "Either represent the people or get out.

"The people are demanding a law banning the sale of assault weapons, the people demand we prohibit the sale of high-capacity magazines, the people demand universal background checks," Kasky said. "Stand for us or beware. The voters are coming.“

The young Stoneman Douglas students, many of whom are just reaching voting age, vowed to work to make reducing gun violence the central issue of their generation.

Polls show that Americans are increasingly in favor of stricter gun laws. By almost 2-1, 61%-33%, they say tightening gun-control laws and background checks would prevent more mass shootings in the United States, according to a USA TODAY/ Suffolk Poll published last month. Even wider margins of Americans say semiautomatic weapons such as the AR-15, which was used in the Florida shooting, should be banned.

But Americans have little confidence that Congress will act. Fewer than one in five, 19%, say the odds are excellent or good. More than three in four; 76%, rate them as fair or poor.

Still, members of the student-led movement insist their generation can push the nation toward tougher gun laws.

“This is not a red vs. blue issue,” said Sarah Chadwick, a Stoneman Douglas student. “This is a moral issue. And to the politicians who believe their right to own a gun comes before our lives, get ready to be voted out by us, the future."

Many of the Florida students took particularly sharp jabs at their junior senator, Republican Marco Rubio, who they note has received about $3.3 million in campaign contributions from the NRA and gun lobby during his political career.

The students wore orange price tags of $1.05, the amount Rubio has received from the gun lobby divided by the number of students in Florida, to suggest that's how much they were worth to him.

Stoneman Douglas students and brothers Juan and Santiago Munera said they were tired but determined as they walked on Pennsylvania Avenue toward the main stage. They arrived in Washington two hours before the rally after a grueling 23-hour bus ride from Florida.

Juan Munera, 17, said he's been inspired by his Stoneman Douglas peers that they can help make change. “Before the shooting we didn’t think we could make a difference as teens,” he said. "Now we’re trying to change gun laws.” 

About 800 sister marches were scheduled in every U.S. state and across several continents. About 800,000 descended on the nation's capital, exceeding expectations including many from Parkland.

In big cities, including Boston, Chicago and New York, massive crowds gathered for the sister marches. Smaller cities, such as Cincinnati and Red Bank, N.J., also saw large crowds assemble.

"Our voices are being stifled," said 17-year-old Rasleen Krupp, who spoke to marchers at the Cincinnati rally. "At the end of this movement, we will be saving our own lives. But this is only the first mile."

In Iowa City, Iowa, where 10-inches of snow was in Saturday's forecast, elementary student Margalit Frank spoke to a crowd of several hundred people.

“I’m 12 years old, and I don’t want to be murdered,” Frank, a student at Longfellow Elementary School said. “I don’t want to wake up every day and wonder if today is the day someone shoots up my school."

Matt Collins, a gun owner and defense contractor from Fairfax, Va., said he once bristled at calls for stricter gun laws, but repeated school shootings changed his mind. Collins said he has many friends who disagree with him.

“I have been frustrated, every time something like this happens, there is a cycle,” Collins said. “I own a gun, I believe in the Second Amendment. I think there are measures short of repealing the second amendment that can make everyone safer.”

The march organizers also recruited teens from urban areas to speak about how gun violence impacts their lives.

Edna Chavez, a student at Los Angeles' Manuel Arts High School Living whose older brother was gunned down in front of their home in 2007, said gun violence has become too normalized in neighborhoods like her own.

“I have lived in South L.A. all my life and have lost many loved ones to gun violence,” Chavez said. “This is normal — normal to the point I’ve learned to duck from bullets before I learned to read."

The Florida shooting instantly reignited the gun-control debate. The students in Parkland — who spoke with a loud voice and amassed an enormous following in the hours and days after the shooting — seemed to disrupt the typical cycle after an attack and vowed to not let the issue fade from the headlines.

Within a month of the rampage, several companies cut ties with the National Rifle Association, students from 3,000 schools held a nationwide walkout, and Florida's governor signed a comprehensive bill that included tightening gun laws.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Friday he was proposing new regulations that would effectively ban so-called bump-stock devices that allow rifles to mimic fully automatic machine gun fire. Bump stocks were not used in the Parkland shooting but were used by the gunman who opened fire on Las Vegas concertgoers, killing 58 and injuring hundreds more, in the October mass shooting in that city.

"We applaud the many courageous young Americans exercising their First Amendment rights today," Lindsay Walters, White House deputy press secretary, said in a statement.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Let's pile on. Feel free to have some evidence with that crow y0u're eating.

Wow.  Crowd size estimate went up 200K from one post to the next! lol.  I guess how big the crowd size was depends on your spin.  ::)

However, it was a good size turnout, but as I said everybody goes home today and it's BAU on Monday.  You keep telling me there will be no "Blue Wave" because the Repugnants have everything sewed up so tight with Gerrymandering and funding from the Kochs.  Which is it here chief?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 25, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
This is a turning point I believe. Sentiment has fundamentally changed, and that matters. It will lead to some changes. Perhaps not radical changes, but the days of nothing happening are over. More shootings will lead to more activism.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Let's pile on. Feel free to have some evidence with that crow y0u're eating.

Wow.  Crowd size estimate went up 200K from one post to the next! lol.  I guess how big the crowd size was depends on your spin.  ::)

However, it was a good size turnout, but as I said everybody goes home today and it's BAU on Monday.  You keep telling me there will be no "Blue Wave" because the Repugnants have everything sewed up so tight with Gerrymandering and funding from the Kochs.  Which is it here chief?

RE

Jesus. Are you strung out on heroin again?

Yesterday's estimate in DC was @80,000. Today's estimate for DC was @800,000. Where did it go up? If you total up the many hundreds of demonstrations all over the country/world, there were well over 1M demonstrators. Deal with it.

There will be a blue wave of enthusiasm. You saw evidence of it yesterday, or would have had you not been so busy arguing an already-lost point. It remains to be seen how much of that vote the forces of suppression can negate.

In other news, am going out to get the fixing for an Orange ’n’ Stormy, to be quaffed during the airing of 60 minutes tonight.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It remains to be seen how much of that vote the forces of suppression can negate.

As I said, the march doesn't change anything.  Even the voting won't change very much even if the Blue Wave takes both Houses of CONgress.  Pols of neither stripe color will send out the ATF to collect all the Gunz in the FSoA.  It's just not gonna happen.  School Shootings won't be stopping anytime too soon either.

In other news, am going out to get the fixing for an Orange ’n’ Stormy, to be quaffed during the airing of 60 minutes tonight.

I look forward to your report!  ;D

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN