PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Another Day Another Shooter

AuthorTopic: Another Day Another Shooter  (Read 28085 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Day Another Shooter
« Reply #240 on: March 20, 2018, 06:50:40 PM »

Eddie: Austin has so much open downtown green space with the Hike and Bike Trail.

Er, where?

Here.

Austin Greenspace
Austin Greenspace

Granted, this is not much by Tropical Rainforest or Alaska Bush standards, but it's still a lot of territory for cops to monitor 24/7 on bicycles.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #241 on: March 20, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »

Oh yes, lots of fresh air there, and a few trees someone forgot to knock over.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 20, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »
On that map it's hard to see, but Barton Creek, which is a small, mostly underground river that comes in as a tributary there downtown, can be followed for seven miles upstream along public urban trails. Better green space than most cities.

There is a spring there near the confluence of the two rivers that flows 30 million gallons of water a day. It's a very special place, trust me.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
Oh yes, lots of fresh air there, and a few trees someone forgot to knock over.

When you talk "Green Space" in an urban metropolis, you're obviously not talking the Tropical Rainforest or Alaska Bush.  They're not even "natural" really, like Central Park in NYC they're designed by landscape architects like Frederich Law Ohlmstead.

We're talking about this in the context of the Mad Bomber of Austin.  Spaces like this have many isolated spots at night which are not patrolled and you could drop a bomb set to go off the following morning when the Joggers and Bikers hit the trails.

However, if I was this psycho, I wouldn't go there either.  I would go to somewhere in the bizness district and set the bomb to go off at lunch hour the following day.

He's definitely not going to be able to use commercial carriers in the neighborhood and not get caught.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Austin bombing suspect reportedly dead
« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2018, 02:34:38 AM »
Austin bombing suspect reportedly dead

FBI agents meet at the scene of one of the explosions to strike Austin since March 2.  (NICK WAGNER/AP)
BY
NICOLE HENSLEY
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 4:42 AM
The serial bomber behind a deadly exploding package spree in Austin has reportedly died following nearly three weeks of terror in the Texas capitol.

News of the suspectís death, first reported by the Austin American-Statesman, coincided with a police shooting that stopped traffic along a highway near Austin just before 3 a.m. local time Wednesday.

Dozens of FBI agents were seen swarming the site of the shooting along Interstate 35 in the Round Rock suburb, where law enforcement vehicles lined the roadway about 11 miles north of Austin.

It was not immediately clear how the shooting was related or how the suspect died. A FBI spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment.

The suspect's death follows the fifth confirmed bomb linked to the plot responsible for killing two people since March 2.

An explosive device, stashed inside a package, detonated inside a FedEx depot near San Antonio early Tuesday. The package, bound for Austin, was also sent from Austin.

KEYE-TV reports U.S. Marshals collected surveillance footage of a man dropping off two packages at a FedEx store in south Austin. One of the packages later exploded at the Schertz facility around 1 a.m. Tuesday. 

This is a developing story and will be updated.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Austin bombing suspect reportedly dead
« Reply #245 on: March 21, 2018, 02:43:15 AM »
Now that's a terrifically nebulous story.  Hopefully we'll get some kind of details later in the day.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #246 on: March 21, 2018, 02:50:54 AM »
Now that's a terrifically nebulous story.  Hopefully we'll get some kind of details later in the day.

RE

Well, it just fucking moved. I just saw a report on CNN and wanted to post it here.
Hopefully you're be able to give it the 8000 words it deserves later.

They also have a surveillance photo of a guy that may be the bomber. Probably a blond wig. White guy.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 21, 2018, 02:54:52 AM »

RE

Well, it just fucking moved. I just saw a report on CNN and wanted to post it here.
Hopefully you're be able to give it the 8000 words it deserves later.

They also have a surveillance photo of a guy that may be the bomber. Probably a blond wig. White guy.

I don't need 8000 words.  I would just like to know why they think this guy is (was) the bomber, and why he ended up in a shootout with a cop.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 21, 2018, 04:18:20 AM »
The guy apparently blew himself up a block from my office. I wonder if I can get to work at all.

The hotels in that area are motels, really. Not sure which one. There is at least one "residence hotel" which is always full of new arrivals who are moving to town, these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/21/austin-bomb-suspect-blows-himself-up-us-media-report

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2018, 04:20:32 AM »
The guy apparently blew himself up a block from my office. I wonder if I can get to work at all.

The hotels in that area are motels, really. Not sure which one. There is at least one "residence hotel" which is always full of new arrivals who are moving to town, these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/21/austin-bomb-suspect-blows-himself-up-us-media-report

Wow!  That's really close to home!

No note or bio yet on the perp.  I wonder if we'lll ever know his motive.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2018, 05:20:01 AM »
You appear to have been right about the Lone Wolf part of the profile. I was right about a couple of things....his location ( a couple of freeway exits north of where I thought). And I was right about the victims being chosen at random and the pattern of how he chose his victims and reached his targets., more or less.

Looks like the cops are taking a Red Roof Inn across the freeway from office apart. It is one of the cheap motels constantly populated recently by out-of-staters moving into Austin.

24 year old white male is all I know. Sounds like  more of a school shooter type.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2018, 05:36:57 AM »
Breaking story. He lived in Pflugerville, almost EXACTLY where I placed his location on yesterday's map. The hotel was not his home apparently. I might know somebody who knows him if he's a local. I will come back to this as more info comes out.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2018, 05:59:49 AM »
No name yet. Cops are at his house near Walnut and 2nd, in Pflugerville.

http://www.kxan.com/news/crime/source-bombing-suspect-involved-in-shooting-on-i-35/1065119748
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:13:44 AM by Eddie »

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
I wonder why he took the hotel room since he lives in the area anyhow?  :icon_scratch:

He didn't turn out to be particularly bright after all.  He left his cell phone on, so they were able to work out where he was from that.  He also didn't disguise himself or keep his face covered in the FedEx store.

I wonder if that house is where his parents live?  A Millenial living in Mom's Basement?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2018, 07:01:45 AM »
Sounds like it to me. Name of Mark Anthony Conditt. Not a patient of mine. I checked. Not much info about him out yet. I'm sure we'll know all about him before the day is over. My teacher daughter's BF is from that area and knows a whole lot of people. I will see if he knows anything about this person next time I see him.