AuthorTopic: The Diner Laptop is Dying  (Read 651 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Diner Laptop is Dying
« on: September 05, 2015, 04:28:44 PM »
The Laptop which has been the main tool for building the Diner is Dying.

The Hard Drive is making a loud buzzing noise and will probably burn out pretty soon here.  I did get my files backed up on an external hard drive so not too worried about that.  The worst problem will be all the passwords I have stored that the laptop remembers automatically.

The other issue is MONEY.  I really don't want to spend money for a new laptop right now, until I get some income rolling in.  I also really don't want to go to Windows 10.  Win  that this one runs on is bad enough.

I have the spare laptop I used in the hospital, but it has issues with the Op System, when you are keyboarding the cursor will randomly jump around making it hard to type.

Hopefully the the HD lasts through Tuesday as I don't feel up to driving today and tomorrow & Monday Computer Rennaisance is closed.

RE

I'm going to go over to Computer Rennaisance and see if they can drop a new HD in this one before the old one croaks completely.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
Re: The Diner Laptop is Dying
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 10:53:13 PM »
If you are doing that, ask about SSDs instead of HDDs.  I use them in all my PCs and they make everything happen so much faster. 
There are also HDD/SSD hybrids, but make sure it has enough SSD capacity (8 GB) to accommodate the operating system.

If the laptop has a door in the floor that gives direct access to the HDD, replacement is easy.  Otherwise it can be very hard and infuriating, so ask your supplier to do it.
The State is a body of armed men

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: The Diner Laptop is Dying
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »
If you are doing that, ask about SSDs instead of HDDs.  I use them in all my PCs and they make everything happen so much faster. 
There are also HDD/SSD hybrids, but make sure it has enough SSD capacity (8 GB) to accommodate the operating system.

If the laptop has a door in the floor that gives direct access to the HDD, replacement is easy.  Otherwise it can be very hard and infuriating, so ask your supplier to do it.

The HDD somehow miraculously recovered and stopped buzzing.  So not replacing at the moment.

I will look for an SSD for my next laptop though.

RE
Save As Many As You Can