AuthorTopic: Lawrence Wilkerson: “The Empire is in Deep, Deep Trouble”  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Mercury

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Lawrence Wilkerson: “The Empire is in Deep, Deep Trouble”
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:10:35 AM »
"This is a must-watch video. U.S. Army Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson (retired) describes the path of empires in decline and shows how the US is following the classic trajectory. He contends that the US needs to make a transition to being one of many powers and focus more on strategies of international cooperation.

The video is full of rich historical detail and terrific, if sobering, nuggets, such as:

History tells us we’re probably finished.

The rest of the world is awakening to the fact that the United States is 1) strategically inept and 2) not the power it used to be. And that the trend is to increase that.

Wilkerson includes in his talk not just the way that the US projects power abroad, but internal symptoms of decline, such as concentration of wealth and power, corruption and the disproportionate role of financial interests.

Wilkerson also says the odds of rapid collapse of the US as an empire is much greater is generally recognized. He also includes the issues of climate change and resource constraints and points out how perverse it is that the Department of Defense is the agency that is taking climate change most seriously. He says that the worst cases scenario projected by scientists is that the world will have enough arable land to support 400 million people (no typo)."
  :icon_mrgreen:

Linky; http://bit.ly/1QQrOiV
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:13:35 AM by Mercury »
Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence Wilkerson: “The Empire is in Deep, Deep Trouble”
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 06:08:19 AM »
He says that the worst cases scenario projected by scientists is that the world will have enough arable land to support 400 million people (no typo)."[/i]  :icon_mrgreen:

WHAT?!?!?!

Only 400M?

That is another 20% reduction from Georgia Guidestones numbers!  We keep getting more Dead People from every new pundit except Guy, who has everybody dead and you can't get more than that.  lol.

On the UPSIDE, 400M is pretty good genetic diversity to work with!  :) I am OK with a knockdown to 400M!  In fact, I am OK with a knockdown to 4M!  As long as we make it past 2030 with say 10K people I am OK with it, because then Guy McPherson is proved WRONG and I am proved RIGHT! lol.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Mercury

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:39:03 PM »
He says that the worst cases scenario projected by scientists is that the world will have enough arable land to support 400 million people (no typo)."[/i]  :icon_mrgreen:

WHAT?!?!?!

Only 400M?

That is another 20% reduction from Georgia Guidestones numbers!  We keep getting more Dead People from every new pundit except Guy, who has everybody dead and you can't get more than that.  lol.

On the UPSIDE, 400M is pretty good genetic diversity to work with!  :) I am OK with a knockdown to 400M!  In fact, I am OK with a knockdown to 4M!  As long as we make it past 2030 with say 10K people I am OK with it, because then Guy McPherson is proved WRONG and I am proved RIGHT! lol.

RE
I think we'll be lucky to settle at 4M. The world was pristine back when human numbers were that small. However, there will be a LOT of stuff to scavenge from the erstwhile industrial age for centuries to come, plus some knowledge learnt down the ages will persist, probably adding to our chances of evading extinction. For the time being...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:41:37 PM by Mercury »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 08:09:02 PM »
I think we'll be lucky to settle at 4M. The world was pristine back when human numbers were that small. However, there will be a LOT of stuff to scavenge from the erstwhile industrial age for centuries to come, plus some knowledge learnt down the ages will persist, probably adding to our chances of evading extinction. For the time being...

I think Mother Earth will begin to heal herself fairly rapidly once our numbers dwindle down below 1B.  The half life on most of the radioisotopes that may get dispersed is fairly short, a couple of 100 years for the Cs I believe.  The rebound time for the environment as a whole probably takes a couple of millenia.  Homo Sap numbers will continue to dwindle through the whole period, possibly getting down to below 1M.

Hopefully the DINERS who are left take heed of the legends passed down through Oral Tradition of the dangers of letting GREED run amok and using MONEY, the ROOT OF ALL EVIL:evil4:  Their numbers will grow again, and there will be a Better Tomorrow:icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Mercury

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:29:45 PM »

I think Mother Earth will begin to heal herself fairly rapidly once our numbers dwindle down below 1B.  The half life on most of the radioisotopes that may get dispersed is fairly short, a couple of 100 years for the Cs I believe.  The rebound time for the environment as a whole probably takes a couple of millenia.  Homo Sap numbers will continue to dwindle through the whole period, possibly getting down to below 1M.

Hopefully the DINERS who are left take heed of the legends passed down through Oral Tradition of the dangers of letting GREED run amok and using MONEY, the ROOT OF ALL EVIL:evil4:  Their numbers will grow again, and there will be a Better Tomorrow:icon_sunny:

RE
There WILL be a better tomorrow RE. The Earth abides just as you say. In 5M years, everything will be as new and the age of man will have been erased. Just another evolutionary dead-end.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:32:16 PM by Mercury »

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »
AuthorTopic: Lawrence Wilkerson: “The Empire is in Deep, Deep Trouble”

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 11:34:31 PM »

RE
There WILL be a better tomorrow RE. The Earth abides just as you say. In 5M years, everything will be as new and the age of man will have been erased. Just another evolutionary dead-end.

I disagree.  In 5M years, the Age of Homo Industrialis will be over.

Homo Cooperatus will be here until the Sun makes life on Earth inhospitable for Eukaryotic organisms.

The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth.  Right AFTER the Meek get very, VERY Angry.

So it was written, so it shall be done.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Mercury

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »

RE

I disagree.  In 5M years, the Age of Homo Industrialis will be over.

Homo Cooperatus will be here until the Sun makes life on Earth inhospitable for Eukaryotic organisms.

The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth.  Right AFTER the Meek get very, VERY Angry.

So it was written, so it shall be done.

RE
I don't know about that RE. 1 million years seems to about the average lifespan for a mammalian species. Homo Sapiens have been around for about 250,000 already. Plus were in the middle of the Sixth Extinction. Apex predators don't generally do well as a result of one of these episodes.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 03:21:04 PM »
Mercury said,
I don't know about that RE. 1 million years seems to about the average lifespan for a mammalian species. Homo Sapiens have been around for about 250,000 already. Plus were in the middle of the Sixth Extinction. Apex predators don't generally do well as a result of one of these episodes.

Hope springs eternal. But your data is logical and difficult to refute. I'm sure RE will find a way to do it.  ;)

As you have alluded to, the temperature trend is not our friend, to put it mildly.

EFFECT(S) of GLOBAL AVERAGE ATMOSPHERIC TEMPERATURE ON THE CRITTERS THAT LIVE ON EARTH:

By the way, Mercury, anytime you want to post some climate data or news on my channel, you are permanently authorized by me to do so without asking in advance.  8)
Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »

Oh, I don't think Homo Sap will last another 750K years.  In the Extinction Survey I put the end IN THE YEAR 2525:icon_sunny:

"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone falls to ZERO"

My argument is with the incredibly short timeline of 15 years.  Even 100 to Extinction is too fast IMHO.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Mercury

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »
Mercury said,

Hope springs eternal. But your data is logical and difficult to refute. I'm sure RE will find a way to do it.  ;)

As you have alluded to, the temperature trend is not our friend, to put it mildly.

EFFECT(S) of GLOBAL AVERAGE ATMOSPHERIC TEMPERATURE ON THE CRITTERS THAT LIVE ON EARTH:

By the way, Mercury, anytime you want to post some climate data or news on my channel, you are permanently authorized by me to do so without asking in advance.  8)
Thanks!

Offline Mercury

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »

Oh, I don't think Homo Sap will last another 750K years.  In the Extinction Survey I put the end IN THE YEAR 2525:icon_sunny:

My argument is with the incredibly short timeline of 15 years.  Even 100 to Extinction is too fast IMHO.

RE
Definitely with you on that one.  :emthup:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's not OVAH until the Fat Lady Sings
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 04:36:24 PM »

RE

Let me clarify.

This is a PROBABILITY question, so that is where I placed my bet.

HOWEVER, it is possible to survive past that point, and that is the goal to shoot for.

It ain't OVAH until the Fat Lady Sings.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 04:57:33 PM »

RE

Let me clarify.

HOWEVER, it is possible to survive past that point, and that is the goal to shoot for.

RE

I'm not that familiar with Operars and fat ladies that sing in them. Is that something Oprah does?  ;D

I expect a public announcement somewhere along the following lines...

Faith,

Offline Mercury

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »

RE

Let me clarify.

RE

I'm not that familiar with Operars and fat ladies that sing in them. Is that something Oprah does?  ;D

I expect a public announcement somewhere along the following lines...

Well, if we see one of these methane 'blips' then it's "all over red rover", as they say. But like RE, I don't see it happening on a timeframe of 15 years.