AuthorTopic: Survey: Psychological Profiles of Collapse - Results: Future of Energy  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Survey: Psychological Profiles of Collapse - Results: Future of Energy
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »
use of tests like mmpi is supposed to be regulated, so i googled 'free online mmpi' and found this....

As of last week, an online version of the test cannot currently be found anywhere on the Internet. I am sure someone will post it soon. However, in the meantime, the code for the test is available and, therefore, you can still take the MMPI-2 for free (with the added bonus that...

It must get removed regularly by authorities associated with the ama.

answering several hundred questions that are not automatically interpreted gets well away from fortune/type telling fun anyway. Thats already clear from complaints the mb is creating some profiles saying 'its complex' instead of 'you met one you met them all'.

At least as far as Roamer and me are concerned, it appears you do not need 100s of questions, 100 or so will do with the Enneagram and give you consistent results.  It appears to be a better measure than the MMPI and B-M so far for me.

RE

better measure of what? Think about the literal meaning of profile, a side view, in this case of all the scales onto a graph. Just because they are not automatically interpreted into a description by a computer does not mean they failed to measure what they are intended to. 

For the eneagram, unless you read all the different types and wings, just because taking the test several times in a day or week yeilds the same result does not mean its the right result. I could take it ten times and get 8w7 ten times, then read all the types and find 8w9 fits much better, was it really a good measure? Thats why making tests much longer makes them more valid.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Psychological Profiles of Collapse Rolling In!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 05:02:11 PM »
PPoCs have now topped 50!  :icon_sunny:

We may even get to 100 before I run the first spreadsheet for a count!

Even if not, the 51 so far surveyed show VERY distinct Typing on both the Enneagram & Briggs-Myers testing.  Also quite interesting is the Demographic information on these 51 (so far) Doomers!  :o

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
Care to give a snapshot of the results to far?  I'm pretty curious, i've had a hunch for a while that the doomsphere could be characterized by a pretty narrow psychological type.  Found this over at do the math to support the case http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2015/04/programmed-to-ignore/

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »
Care to give a snapshot of the results to far?  I'm pretty curious, i've had a hunch for a while that the doomsphere could be characterized by a pretty narrow psychological type.  Found this over at do the math to support the case http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2015/04/programmed-to-ignore/

Sorry, no HINTS until I compile the results.  :icon_mrgreen:  I don't want to skew the data.

Now at 54 Respondents, doing better than expected for such a long and complicated survey/tests.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 02:05:48 AM »

Sorry, no HINTS until I compile the results.  :icon_mrgreen:  I don't want to skew the data.

Now at 54 Respondents, doing better than expected for such a long and complicated survey/tests.

RE

I got the sense from discussion in  the space last week that the results were anything but categorizable to a narrow type. That the types were all over the map, as it were.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:09:05 AM by Surly1 »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 07:13:15 AM »

RE

I got the sense from discussion in  the space last week that the results were anything but categorizable to a narrow type. That the types were all over the map, as it were.

We had a very small sample size last week, only around 6 or so regular and active Diners took the tests and published their results.  Now we have a much larger pool, and are now up to 58 respondents.  With the larger numbers, distinct patterns are emerging.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 08:05:28 AM »

RE

We had a very small sample size last week, only around 6 or so regular and active Diners took the tests and published their results.  Now we have a much larger pool, and are now up to 58 respondents.  With the larger numbers, distinct patterns are emerging.

RE

I'm betting you can guess mine.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 08:08:18 AM »

RE

RE

I'm betting you can guess mine.

I leave the guesswork to Eddie.  I just collect the numbers.  lol.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »

th IQ test can get the answers and take it again, it then has no value.

Enneagram is not a personality test it is an ancient occult science. Like 12 signs of the zodiac, Chinese year of the dog, cat, etc,  numerology and palmistry. Those writing about it dont say to take the test first, but reccomended to read the 9 types and see which best applies. The tests are reccomended there if you cant decide. But the tests themselves also can't  decide. We saw two different eneagram tests giving two different e types for the same subject making them very suspect. Still it will be interesting to see if something does stand out from the particular short test used.

if you are referring to me I felt a difference in my mood while taking the two different tests.  In the first engram test I feel I was definitely overthinking a few of the questio ns which I did not do on my second run.  In another thread I posted a pic of Dr Jekyll / Mr. Hyde,the point of that being that one category may not fit a particular person at all times which we forget in our desire to want a test to give meaningful results.  I might do the intelligence and personality tests over the weekend but intelligence tests for me typically vary between 116 and 155.  I might get really stoned before I take the tests if I do.  That would accurately reflect my reality but not as much as it used to. 

An average doomer score of 130 for IQ seems high.  I need to look up how many standard deviations off the norm 130 is.  We are definitely off the norm in many ways and being able to both tie one's shoes without drooling and being able to communicate in complete sentences is a requirement for one to appreciate doom.  Therefore I won't say 130 is absolutely out of the question.  I'll just say I'm suspicious.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »

th IQ test can get the answers and take it again, it then has no value.

Enneagram is not a personality test it is an ancient occult science. Like 12 signs of the zodiac, Chinese year of the dog, cat, etc,  numerology and palmistry. Those writing about it dont say to take the test first, but reccomended to read the 9 types and see which best applies. The tests are reccomended there if you cant decide. But the tests themselves also can't  decide. We saw two different eneagram tests giving two different e types for the same subject making them very suspect. Still it will be interesting to see if something does stand out from the particular short test used.

if you are referring to me I felt a difference in my mood while taking the two different tests.  In the first engram test I feel I was definitely overthinking a few of the questio ns which I did not do on my second run.  In another thread I posted a pic of Dr Jekyll / Mr. Hyde,the point of that being that one category may not fit a particular person at all times which we forget in our desire to want a test to give meaningful results.  I might do the intelligence and personality tests over the weekend but intelligence tests for me typically vary between 116 and 155.  I might get really stoned before I take the tests if I do.  That would accurately reflect my reality but not as much as it used to. 

An average doomer score of 130 for IQ seems high.  I need to look up how many standard deviations off the norm 130 is.  We are definitely off the norm in many ways and being able to both tie one's shoes without drooling and being able to communicate in complete sentences is a requirement for one to appreciate doom.  Therefore I won't say 130 is absolutely out of the question.  I'll just say I'm suspicious.

130 is right at 2 SD.  It seems a bit high to me as well, they may have it calibrated to give a high result so people feel better about themselves and can say they are smart.  lol.  I'd guess 120 is the average IQ for the typical doomer.  One thing to consider is it's a pretty well educated group with mostly Bachelors and Masters degrees.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 02:52:13 PM »
Kdog,
For the founders of the Intelligence Quotient (IQ)100 is the 50th percentile, 130 is the 95th percentile And 140 is the 98th percentile. Using the term IQ for the free tests rather than the stanford-binet or wais that actually set the median at 100 is misleading if you expect the median to be 100. Your lower score mentioned would be the one where the median is set at 100 and not possibly110 as in this free test.  Having said that i have no doubt majority of diners are above 90th percentile.

Re the enneagram giving u different types with different moods and  your overthinking on one test; For the type of tests with high validity there are written instructions which either the test administrator reads out or the test taker reads on an instruction sheet before doing the test. On personalty tests the instructions are not to overthink the questions, because they ask the same thing several times in different words to pick up where u are at.

I know nothing about the enneagram except what eddie has posted, but that includes the information that it is a diagram with lines drawn between various numbers like a pentagram. Some of those lines relate to the corresponding stress point number and relaxation point number for your type. Your different moods could or maybe should relate to particular corresponding numbers then from the info eddie posted somewhere in the thread or u could just search it in google.

Tests such as the mmpi are also meant to yield varying profile at different times in life depending on learning. You dont expect the same man in middle age to be as impulsive as in youth. But there are stable traits too, for the BM there will be a lot of INTJ in the serious, forward thinking, pessimist nature of the diners. Keep in mind that pessimists are proven to be more realistic than optimists, so i would prefer to call them realists.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:03:59 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline cosmicpixie

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »
Took the profile survey. I really like the little IQ test. It's only 20 questions, but it matched my score as approximated by the old SATs (add verbal and math only, drop the trailing zero, and you've got your score approximated--plus or minus 4 points).

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
Took the profile survey. I really like the little IQ test. It's only 20 questions, but it matched my score as approximated by the old SATs (add verbal and math only, drop the trailing zero, and you've got your score approximated--plus or minus 4 points).

:hi: to the Diner CP!

I never knew that about the old SATs.  Interesting.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Collapse Personality Profile Update
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 06:05:09 AM »

Printgc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner on October 27, 2015

Print

Discuss this article at the Survey Table inside the Diner

TAKE THE COLLAPSE PERSONALITY PROFILE SURVEY HERE

I'm going to hold off on publishing FULL RESULTS of the Collapse Personality Profile Survey TM until next week, because the results coming in so far are absolutely FASCINATING and I don't want to skew further respondents answers by giving away too much of what has come in so far.  We have around ~80 respondents to the survey in the first week, and I will tell you that watching the numbers accumulate, the percentages for each category have not changed much if at all from the first ~20 or so to the current ~80. What that means in statistical terms is that the results are invariant in terms of sample size in this population.  So it's pretty valid already, but still I want another week's worth of data in there before doing a final crunching of the numbers on the spreadsheet for the Personality and IQ data.

What I will fill in on in for this week is the Demographics, which mostly I expected but in some areas i was surprised. 

The first surprising area was Doomer Gender.  My experience across the net over the last 8 years or so has been 10% or even less of the participants on Doom Websites were female.  However, the Survey Sez that the percentage of females haunting the Doom-o-sphere TM is actually around 20%!

Male

Female

Other

Standard Deviation

Responses

All Data

(80.52%)

(19.48%)

(0%)

So with Doomer Females, it seems likely that only half of those who read Doom (and will do an anonymous survey also) actually will ever post up on a Doomsite TM.  That is an anecdotal WAG based on my own experience, not scientific.  lol.

Unsurprisly, most Doomers are White Males from North America with a formal education of Bacheors Degree or better:

High School

Associates Degree

Bachelors Degree

Masters Degree

Doctoral Degree

Other

Standard Deviation

Responses

All Data

(12.99%)

(12.99%)

(35.06%)

(20.78%)

(6.49%)

(11.69%)

White

Black

Brown

Red

Yellow

Albino

Standard Deviation

Responses

All Data

(90.67%)

(4%)

(1.33%)

(1.33%)

(2.67%)

(0%)

North America

Central America

South America

Western Europe

Eastern Europe

North Africa

Sub-Saharan Africa

Middle East

North Asia

Southeast Asia

Australia/New Zealand

Standard Deviation

Responses

All Data

(68.83%)

(0%)

(1.3%)

(20.78%)

(1.3%)

(0%)

(0%)

(0%)

(2.6%)

(1.3%)

(3.9%)

The most surprising to me Demographic was the Age Distribution!   My experience has been that most Doomers are Boomers, aka people around age 50-70.  This does not seem to be the case at all though, rather Doomers are distributed pretty evenly through all generations, although the Gen X-Y group is dominant here.

<18

18-24

25-29

30-39

40-49

50-59

60-69

70-79

80+

Standard Deviation

Responses

All Data

(0%)

(5.19%)

(16.88%)

(23.38%)

(16.88%)

(16.88%)

(18.18%)

(2.6%)

(0%)

I will save the stats on Personality Typing and IQ for next week, other than to say that Doomers appear to be a good deal Smarter than the Average Bear by the measure of a short IQ Test.   I was a bit surprised at how many actually took that test and reported their results.  Whether everyone was honest about it  or did not cheat the test I don't know.   Based on the average level of education though, I think this average IQ is probably valid, although perhaps up-skewed 5-10 points.

Next week I will publish the actual PERSONALITY of DOOMERS results, which are actually even more interesting. :)  So if you have not yet already done so, you have one more week to take the tests and answer the survey before I run the spreadsheet for this tally!

TAKE THE COLLAPSE PERSONALITY PROFILE SURVEY HERE

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 07:34:30 AM »
Very interesting, and hopefully some of folks out there got some good information they can use...at least some personal insights. Glad that there are some female participants, even if they don't post. It'd be better if they did post, imho, because their voice is important...but I'm not surprised, as females these days have learned to be careful about interacting with strangers in cyberspace.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.