AuthorTopic: Happy pig society  (Read 3037 times)

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Happy pig society
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 05:28:54 AM »
The issue as I see it is that most people form their own world vision of how they see the world or at least how it should it be run. This vision is in many cases influenced by cultural attitudes and the prevailing social/economic conditions of the country. By the time a person reaches even early adulthood their view of the world is largely formed and it is difficult for their opinion to change on a fundamental level. Now this is a general trend and I am sure some you could cite some exceptions where people dramatically change their viewpoint in their life but speaking from a general level it is quite rare for this to happen.

One of the most defining characteristics of our industrial age is this feeling of development and general progress in all facets of life. There is a general consensus amongst most people in society that we are advancing and much of this advancement/development is tied to increasing our material wealth. When we talk about developed countries what we are really describing is that the most advanced economies are ones that consume the most per capita and the inherent assumption is greater consumption leads to greater happiness. As a result we go through life trying to be successful in life which entails getting a job that pays well which leads to more consumptive lifestyle. Even though there are numerous studies that state that beyond a certain income threshold happiness does not correlate well with higher incomes. However because our cultural and social memes are so powerful and have gone on for so long these stories have been strongly entrenched in the societies of most industrialised economies.

It is because of this social entrenchment that even if you manage to persuade someone from a logical standpoint it is difficult for the arguments you make to stick and lead to a change of behaviour because you face two significant barriers. One is that most people are more irrational that they like to admit so even if you convince someone on a logical level level they can still act against your arguments not because they fundamentally disagree with you but because it goes against there normal way of thinking/habits. This is only made worse by the social memes that run in societies. As a result even if a person believes you and is willing to follow through with actions they are likely to run into the second barrier. That is their actions will go against the messages of what the media and greater society is saying and because we are bombarded everyday with messages about consuming everyday it is easy to regress into bad habits. This is especially true if the person is dependent on society to service their basic needs (this leads to the side-point that less dependency and more empowerment/independence for individuals/communities will lead to better results in getting your message across). What is more if someone desires a high social standing then they would likely be keen to pursue jobs and careers that pay well which can in many cases conflict with a low energy lifestyle that is more sustainable. This is even before we consider that change is often a humbling and frightening experience so you have the two issues of people either having too much pride to listen or taking the path of least resistance because they are frightened or lack conviction.

Saying all that do not take it that I am some sort of nihilist. I do firmly believe that promoting your message is a very good thing but I am just trying to express that these are the fundamental challenges you face when promoting your story. In the end it is far easier to get more people to believe you with less scrutiny if you projected a Jetson type future because such messages are more closely aligned with the prevailing messages of society and progress but what is easy is not always what is right... Take every single person you convince as a small victory and remember that for every person who thanks you openly you likely have 10 silent lurkers who are inspired by what you write.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 07:26:20 AM »
The issue as I see it is that most people form their own world vision of how they see the world or at least how it should it be run.

Yes..and this group includes doomers.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 09:59:12 AM »
I was put to the test on that yesterday, when on my walk I bent down to snip something, and a pain shot through my chest which could not be ignored.  And it didn't go away.  I could have gone straight back to the house and rung for an ambulance, but I hate hospitals and I definitely don't want to die in one.  I'd really rather die in the forest and be dismantled by the ants - just part of the Great Nutrient Cycle.

So I pressed on slowly and finished my hour, got back home still feeling lousy, and had a lie down, much to the bemusement of the dog and the cat.  But you can't just lie there checking if you're having a heart attack all day, so I got up, had a coffee and a cigarette, and set about my regular playtime on the computer.  By mid-afternoon, and the third beer, I noticed that the pain had gone.

Even better, when I woke up this morning I wasn't dead, and was ready to do it all again

Modern medicine has greatly overlooked the medicinal value of a cup of coffee, a smoke, and a few beers. Glad the medicine worked. You would have been missed.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
RE the Greek's First Dead Diner Betting Odds
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
Modern medicine has greatly overlooked the medicinal value of a cup of coffee, a smoke, and a few beers. Glad the medicine worked. You would have been missed.

I'm making book on who the first Dead Diner will be.

Odds:

RE-  3:2
PY-  2:1
GO-  5:2
JP-   3:1
SY:-  4:1
ED-  5:1
MK-  5:1
UB-  8:1
MN- 50:1
FX-  80:1

I'm betting on the favorite, RE.  If I win the bet, my winnings go to the SUN  :icon_sunny: Foundation.

RE the Greek
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: RE the Greek's First Dead Diner Betting Odds
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »

Odds:

I'm betting on the favorite, RE.  If I win the bet, my winnings go to the SUN  :icon_sunny: Foundation.

RE the Greek

What  about AGB?
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »

Odds:

RE the Greek

What  about AGB?
Odds:

RE-  3:2       1:5
GO-  5:2      15:1

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:01:16 PM by Golden Oxen »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 04:19:14 PM »
What  about AGB?

I only included Diners who have been participating in this thread.  Besides leaving out AG, I also left out WHD, GM, LD, WNCR etc.

However, I will drop AG down as 2:1 with PY.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »
I'm feeling a lot better today.
PY  3:1
The State is a body of armed men

Offline Fenixor

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 02:55:01 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jADnNpx3R4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5jADnNpx3R4</a>

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 04:42:03 PM »
Try and find humor in the pervasive ignorance if you can.  Understanding the difference between issues in your personal life over which you have some control and the madness of the crowd over which you have none is an important thing.  Conserve your emotional energy.  I no longer have a desire to evangelize to happy pigs but I still seek lucid conversation.   If a happy pig shows signs of enlightenment that is a conversation worth pursuing but I don't let happy pigs pull me down into their rutting mud.  Don't let them waste your time and if their lack of a positive response causes you to feel emotionally drained they are wasting your time.  Move on. 

Respect your own beliefs and don't let the smell of bacon cause you to disrespect yourself.  You are where you are because you are intelligent and respect your own ability to understand what is going on in the world.  The army of squawking parrots which surround us who all believe what they do without thought consideration or reflection must not change that no matter how loud their incessant intractable squawking becomes.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.