AuthorTopic: Another Sign of the Apocalypse...  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Another Sign of the Apocalypse...
« on: July 12, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »
Let's start a new thread featuring Signs of The Coming Apocalypse.

Here's today's offering--
GIANT RED ROACHES INVADE ITALY!!!
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/12/giant-red-roaches-invade-italy.html

bY Barbie Latza Nadeau

Long plagued by poor garbage collection, the city of Naples is crawling with these creepy critters. And health workers fear they could eventually carry disease. 

If the thought of giant, red cockroaches makes your skin crawl, you might want to stop reading now. You also might want to avoid Naples, Italy for the time being since the city is literally crawling with millions of these creepy insects.   

The invasion started in early July with a massive hatch in the city’s sewers, which hadn’t been cleaned or disinfected in over a year because of budget cuts triggered by Italy’s economic crisis. To make matters worse, changes to the city’s garbage collection system, which functioned poorly even during the best of times thanks to infiltration by organized-crime syndicates, require residents and restaurants to put out their garbage the night before early morning collectors pick it up, leaving festering food on the curbside by the sewer drains. Add the above-average temperatures and high humidity and you’ve got a cockroach paradise.

Now city workers are spraying sewers, stores and restaurants several times a day to try to stop the critters from multiplying. When the poison kills them, their dry shells litter the sidewalks. Street sweepers are working extra shifts to remove the crunchy carcasses. Health workers fear the insects could eventually carry hepatitis A or typhoid fever if they aren’t able to contain the invasion. Cockroaches are also known asthma triggers and city authorities have warned asthma sufferers to stay away from the most affected parts of the city.

Despite these efforts, experts say it is challenging to eliminate the pests during the hot summer because the humid conditions provide the perfect environment to lay eggs. “To try to kill them during this season is almost impossible,” says Maria Triassi of Naples’ University Federico II. “The problem is only solved with proper maintenance of the sewer drains all year and destroying the eggs laid in September, not the way they are doing it now.”

The Scariest Cockroaches on Earth 

Naples's cockroach invasion started in early July with a massive hatch in the city’s sewers, which hadn’t been cleaned and disinfected in over a year because of maintenance budget cuts triggered by Italy’s economic crisis. (Ken Lucas, Visuals Unlimited, Inc. / Getty Images)

Others fear that the panicky way the disinfestation is being carried out is an equally disturbing threat to the environment; workers are spraying huge amounts of potent pesticides on plants and in and around stores where food is sold. And experts say that, over time, the roaches can actually grow immune to the poison.

The amber-colored critters, which fly as well as crawl, can grow to be more three inches long, and they’re particularly active at night, though it is common to see them scampering over the Neapolitan cobblestones during the day. The roaches in Naples have terrorized diners at outdoor tables and have become so accustomed to people that they scurry over tourists’ sandal-clad feet.

As Diana Pezza Borrelli of Italy’s Green Party put it: “There are so many cockroaches that when you walk these streets it's like stepping on a crunchy layer of disgusting cookies.”

Authorities say these hearty bugs likely arrived in the port city on a ferry from the Aeolian islands four or five years ago and killed off the smaller, more-vulnerable Neapolitan roaches, which have long roamed the city. The population of the giant flying bugs has been quietly multiplying in the sewers ever since. Female cockroaches lay eight or more egg cases, which each carry around 40 baby roaches. The gestation period is around three weeks, which means the disinfestations must be carried out daily to kill off the new bugs as they hatch. 

Naples mayor Luigi de Magistris appears to be downplaying the problem out of fear that it will hurt tourism. “There is too much alarm over this,” he said at a televised, emergency meeting to combat the bugs on Monday. “If you read the news you would think the city of Naples is crawling with cockroaches.”

Maybe the mayor hasn’t been out on the streets lately. As Diana Pezza Borrelli of Italy’s Green Party put it: “There are so many cockroaches that when you walk these streets it's like stepping on a crunchy layer of disgusting cookies.”

Like The Daily Beast on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for updates all day long.

Barbie Latza Nadeau, author of the Beast Book Angel Face, about Amanda Knox, has reported from Italy for Newsweek since 1997 and for The Daily Beast since 2009. She is a frequent contributor to CNN Traveller, Departures, Discovery, and Grazia. She appears regularly on CNN, the BBC, and NPR.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Another Sign of the Apocalypse...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
Humorous Fictitious News Story Alert! (with some truth about roach living habits thrown in). :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

In view of the recent roach infestations in Naples, scientists are feverishly reviewing WTF they know about these small, hardy and now ubiquitous bugs roaming the city of Naples, Italy. The rumor that the bugs are Israeli drones sent to spy on possible terrorists in Italy was quickly dispelled by DARPA and the Pentagon with the statement that "Terrorists don't DO Spaghetti or Pizza. Don Corleone would never permit it!". After catching various specimens for further study with the hope of using an old method of killing them that would not interere with food aromas in Naples (chemical sprays are bad for sidewalk cafe business!) some new and strange information has leaked out of the top secret government labs. A group of roaches was placed in a chamber with a hitherto considered lethal dose of diatomaceous algae skeleton powder. This powder has very spiky algae skeletons right down to the microscopic level. Roaches shine because they are fastidiously clean insects and groom themselves often to clear dust or dirt from their chitinous shells but, more importantly, to keep the waxlike layer over their abdomens intact so they do not dehydrate and die. The diatoms punch tiny holes in the wax when the roach grooms itself and the insect dehydrates and dies. At least up until now, that is. In the chamber, most of the roaches were found to be unaffected by the diatoms adhering to their abdomen exoskeleton and looked somewhat scruffy. Another group that engaged in instant normal grooming died shortly from dehydration. The scruffy roaches moved in on these dead and dying shiny roaches and began to eat a particular area of their anatomy, ignoring other parts for some reason. A tiny microphone probe was extended into the chamber and, in addition to the normal "roach" sounds, another sound was found when a group of them were attacking the shinier ones. Analysis and interpretation of this sound leaked out. Today the lab studying the roaches issued a vociferous denial that the repeated sound the scruffy roaches were making was this: BRAINS!

The Italian government has stressed that there is no roach zombie attack going on in Naples and there is nothing to fear. However, an alert has been issued to the police and hospitals to be on the lookout for incidents of increased head injuries due to bite attacks...

Have a nice day. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:31:41 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 01:51:59 AM »
Let's start a new thread featuring Signs of The Coming Apocalypse.

Here's today's offering--
GIANT RED ROACHES INVADE ITALY!!!
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/12/giant-red-roaches-invade-italy.html

The Scariest Cockroaches on Earth 

Forget the Pesticides.  We need the NATO Heavy Artillery against the Bugs!  Bring on Doogie Howser to Knock Down the Brain Bug!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
Forget the Pesticides.  We need the NATO Heavy Artillery against the Bugs!  Bring on Doogie Howser to Knock Down the Brain Bug!

Doogie's gay! He's not a real fighter! Gay's can't save the world from apocalypse, they bring it on!  They're the CAUSE of mutant giant super red ugly bugs! :icon_scratch: :emthdown: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:43:01 PM by RE »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Mice Plague Hits Germany!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 12:21:05 AM »

Millions of field mice are overrunning the central German states of Thuringia and Saxony-Anhalt, much to the concern of local farmers. The rodents are devastating food crops, cutting yields by up to 50 percent. Getting birds of prey to hunt the critters didn't help, and now farmers want to be allowed to use a banned rat poison.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/mouse-plague-hits-central-germany-a-843811.html
Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Signs of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »
Roaches in Italy, Mice in Germany.

The PLAGUES have BEGUN!

Locusts up next for the Eurotrash. (They already hit Oz)

Quote from: Revelation 6:8
8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Another Sign of the Apocalypse... Mt. Rainer has come to Life !
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 02:57:02 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nTvCM6Rz3bY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nTvCM6Rz3bY&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/one-of-the-most-dangerous-volcanoes-in-north-america-is-roaring-to-life
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Another Sign of the Apocalypse... Mt. Rainer has come to Life !
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nTvCM6Rz3bY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nTvCM6Rz3bY&fs=1</a>

These posts should have been placed in the Toba Memorial Volcano Thread.

Although Ranier pulling a Mt. St. Helens would not be too good for the people living in Tacoma or worse Yakima, the park is big enough that you won't have too many people besides hikers and vulcanologists who would get incinerated in the pyroclastic flow.  I don't think it could put up enough ejecta to drop more than a couple of inches of ashfall on even Yakima, which is downwind.  Certainly not in the class of Yellowstone or La Garita Caldera, which would incinerate everyone from Alberqurque to Santa Fe if it blows like it did a few million years ago.  5000 cubic kilometers of ejecta from that one.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F90Cw4l-8NY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/F90Cw4l-8NY</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »
Re,
You know when I was pondering which thread I was going to post this event to, I stopped
at the Toba thread. Just didn't see the connect at that moment.
So in the future I will use it.

As for Rainier, I have relatives in the area & hope they have the revelation to get the fuck
outta' dodge when things get hot n' spicy.

With our little friend  :icon_sunny: getting closer & closer, things are NOT getting any better
in the foreseeable future.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »
Re,
You know when I was pondering which thread I was going to post this event to, I stopped

As for Rainier, I have relatives in the area & hope they have the revelation to get the fuck

With our little friend  :icon_sunny: getting closer & closer, things are NOT getting any better

Not two days ago I saw a long video documentary on Mt. Rainer. When that one blows, it's curtains from Seattle to Olympia.   

In the video I learned about what they call "lahars" or something like that. I didn't know that a lot of communities in that area are built over them. Those, like the one in South America that experienced a lahar flow from a volcano that killed over 25,000 people (I had never heard of that catastrophe before!) are going to be visited AGAIN by a mighty Mt. Rainer lahar flow.     

And the worst part is that, when these lahars burst forth from a volcanic eruption, they do it REAL FAST!    Here's the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xc5oYq41Ovc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Xc5oYq41Ovc</a>
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:54:42 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 06:05:40 PM »
Re,

Not two days ago I saw a long video documentary on Mt. Rainer. When that one blows, it's curtains from Seattle to Olympia.   

In the video I learned about what they call "lahars" or something like that. I didn't know that a lot of communities in that area are built over them. Those, like the one in South America that experienced a lahar flow from a volcano that killed over 25,000 people (I had never heard of that catastrophe before!) are going to be visited AGAIN by a mighty Mt. Rainer lahar flow.     

And the worst part is that, when these lahars burst forth from a volcanic eruption, they do it REAL FAST!    Here's the video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xc5oYq41Ovc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Xc5oYq41Ovc</a>

Remember when we were young & mom in her friendly but stern voice would say ....
"Sonny time to clean your room" ! & our response was "yeah, yeah in a minute".
About the 3rd directive of this & the bedroom door flies open, she opens the window,
all the shit including the smokes, playboys, the cat, bed sheets, & favorite hot wheels
goes bye-bye, out the window. A wink & a nod & it's a job well done.
Guess what, mommy earth plays the same schtick with us useless eaters. Happy dreams  :icon_sunny:

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »
Re,

Remember when we were young & mom in her friendly but stern voice would say ....
"Sonny time to clean your room" ! & our response was "yeah, yeah in a minute".
About the 3rd directive of this & the bedroom door flies open, she opens the window,
all the shit including the smokes, playboys, the cat, bed sheets, & favorite hot wheels
goes bye-bye, out the window. A wink & a nod & it's a job well done.
Guess what, mommy earth plays the same schtick with us useless eaters. Happy dreams  :icon_sunny:

Yep.
Faith,

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Another Sign of the Apocalypse... Tehran is being swallowed by Earth
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 05:34:11 PM »

The ground is shifting under Iran’s capital, Tehran, home to approximately 15 million people and the biggest city by population in western Asia. High-resolution satellite images recently revealed that in some places, the metropolis of the Middle East is sinking about 10 inches (25 centimeters) per year. A side effect of such impressive subsidence is the sudden appearance of giant cracks and sinkholes in some areas that may end swallowing up Tehran underground within the next decades.

http://strangesounds.org/2018/12/tehran-is-sinking-giant-cracks-sinkholes-iran-geology.html

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/abbzEzAEgQ4&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/abbzEzAEgQ4&fs=1</a>