AuthorTopic: Guy McPherson  (Read 17893 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Guy McPherson
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2015, 05:32:40 PM »
Sounds like Guy has taken run of the mill depressed folks, and turned them into less depressed run of the mill folks.
Could be worse, he could be turning them into faux doomers?

More like a cult of nihilist, just wrote a short philosophical post about this type of topic on my blog (http://peakresources.blogspot.se/2015/10/philosophy-of-absurd.html)

I will post it to the Diner.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2015, 06:50:36 AM »
Sounds like Guy has taken run of the mill depressed folks, and turned them into less depressed run of the mill folks.
Could be worse, he could be turning them into faux doomers?

More like a cult of nihilist, just wrote a short philosophical post about this type of topic on my blog (http://peakresources.blogspot.se/2015/10/philosophy-of-absurd.html)

I will post it to the Diner.

RE

A lot of good reading on the Diner today.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Theta

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2015, 10:17:07 AM »
There has been a lot of excellent points brought up in this thread recently, especially points that explain how our species can actually be resilient against the upcoming challenges that we face. The main issue with Guy McPherson though is the statement that people have been making that links him to possible inaction. This is incorrect as he is trying to persuade people to shy away from the logic that it's all party now and fuck the future, he is encouraging people to live a life of love, be one with nature and to extract as many happy memories as possible, as short as those memories will be.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2015, 12:16:53 PM »
as he is trying to persuade people to shy away from the logic that it's all party now and fuck the future, he is encouraging people to live a life of love, be one with nature and to extract as many happy memories as possible, as short as those memories will be.

Sure…sort of like everyone hitting the bong heavily before drinking the koolaid…a very Jim Jones type approach.

I will take my doom head up and eyes forward thank you very much, be that all peace, love and dope, and putting the last round from God's Own Weapon into the nearest bad guy and going after the next one with my entrenching tool.

Life is about life, and pretending one perspective over how it goes is any better than another is nothing more than personal preference. And when our children are rooting around in those dark places in the internet, 50 years from now, they will laugh it up about Guy no differently than we yuck it up over Malthus or Ehrlich, remembering the good old days when people really were pretty stupid, underestimating the cleverness of us monkeys.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
There has been a lot of excellent points brought up in this thread recently, especially points that explain how our species can actually be resilient against the upcoming challenges that we face. The main issue with Guy McPherson though is the statement that people have been making that links him to possible inaction. This is incorrect as he is trying to persuade people to shy away from the logic that it's all party now and fuck the future, he is encouraging people to live a life of love, be one with nature and to extract as many happy memories as possible, as short as those memories will be.

"Passionately Pursue a Life of Excellence" so the tag line says.

Except that's not what anybody on NBL DOES, unless by Passionately Pursuing a Life of Excellence you mean wallowing in Grief, which I think Guy has now extended to 7 Stages from Kubler-Ross' original 5.

You can't paper over what is clearly a nihilistic philosophy with a tag line.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »

Except that's not what anybody on NBL DOES, unless by Passionately Pursuing a Life of Excellence you mean wallowing in Grief, which I think Guy has now extended to 7 Stages from Kubler-Ross' original 5.

RE

Strikes me as being quite IRONIC. I'm glad you noticed this - it made me laugh.   :D

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »
Strikes me as being quite IRONIC. I'm glad you noticed this - it made me laugh.   :D

Your sense of irony is as poorly developed as your sense of humor.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »

RE

"Pursuing a Life" from NBL is not ironic to you? Aren't they pretty much doing the opposite at NBL?  Maybe our definitions of irony are different.
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2015, 04:22:56 PM »

RE

"Pursuing a Life" from is not ironic to you? Aren't they pretty much doing the opposite at NBL?  Maybe our definitions of irony are different.

My apologies, that's not what I thought you meant.  Yes, in that sense it is very ironic.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Theta

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2015, 06:21:32 PM »

RE

I signed up to the forum recently and one thing I have noticed is that rarely anyone ever posts there and in one of the threads on the forum itself, some people were talking about the fact that they have been on their own computers less, which gives more strength to the claim that they are pursuing a life of excellence. Either that or they can't contend with the shitty criteria that is required for making replies and threads (you have to answer like two or three verification questions to post a thread or a reply to a thread which is dumb).

Edit: if you believed that your life was coming to an end (as many people on NBL do), wouldn't you try to make the most out of your life before you go to the great beyond. It's better than trying to prepare for something that you can't, otherwise you'd end up like Eli from "The Road" who proclaimed that he knew the apocalypse was coming and asked about how one could prepare for such an event. The same question can be asked of the current collapse trajectory.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 06:24:09 PM by Theta »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »

RE

I signed up to the forum recently and one thing I have noticed is that rarely anyone ever posts there and in one of the threads on the forum itself, some people were talking about the fact that they have been on their own computers less, which gives more strength to the claim that they are pursuing a life of excellence. Either that or they can't contend with the shitty criteria that is required for making replies and threads (you have to answer like two or three verification questions to post a thread or a reply to a thread which is dumb).

Edit: if you believed that your life was coming to an end (as many people on NBL do), wouldn't you try to make the most out of your life before you go to the great beyond. It's better than trying to prepare for something that you can't, otherwise you'd end up like Eli from "The Road" who proclaimed that he knew the apocalypse was coming and asked about how one could prepare for such an event. The same question can be asked of the current collapse trajectory.

Overall the Commentary on NBL has been sagging, both on the Blog and the Forum there.  Some regulars from when I was posting there appear to have dropped out, Ulfulgi for one who was a major ENFORCER  of the Group think there appears to be gone.

I think this is mainly an issue of Collapse Burnout rather than a choice to Pursue a Life of Excellence.

How do you "make the most out of your life" in the current society?  Generally speaking, this takes quite a bit of money.  It's pretty hard to make the most of your life if you are BROKE, which I think is a problem for Guy himself since he quit his Day Job as a University Professor.  The Lecture Circuit for Doomers doesn't pay too well, I know this from talking with Nicole Foss who is one of the most popular lecturers on the circuit.  Dmitry Orlov isn't doing so great either, he recently did a fundraiser to get a new Diesel Auxiliary Engine for his Sailboat.

So if you want to "make the most of your life", it takes making money, which means you are then participating in the very thing which is destroying the society and the ecosphere!  LOL.

Anyhow, bottom line here is NBL is a VERY depressing place to hang out.  I mean really, they GLORIFY being HOPELESS over there.  You're a deluded imbecile if you have any Hope at all.  What kind depressing shit way to live is that?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Theta

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2015, 07:34:31 PM »

RE

Overall the Commentary on NBL has been sagging, both on the Blog and the Forum there.  Some regulars from when I was posting there appear to have dropped out, Ulfulgi for one who was a major ENFORCER  of the Group think there appears to be gone.

I think this is mainly an issue of Collapse Burnout rather than a choice to Pursue a Life of Excellence.

How do you "make the most out of your life" in the current society?  Generally speaking, this takes quite a bit of money.  It's pretty hard to make the most of your life if you are BROKE, which I think is a problem for Guy himself since he quit his Day Job as a University Professor.  The Lecture Circuit for Doomers doesn't pay too well, I know this from talking with Nicole Foss who is one of the most popular lecturers on the circuit.  Dmitry Orlov isn't doing so great either, he recently did a fundraiser to get a new Diesel Auxiliary Engine for his Sailboat.

So if you want to "make the most of your life", it takes making money, which means you are then participating in the very thing which is destroying the society and the ecosphere!  LOL.

Anyhow, bottom line here is NBL is a VERY depressing place to hang out.  I mean really, they GLORIFY being HOPELESS over there.  You're a deluded imbecile if you have any Hope at all.  What kind depressing shit way to live is that?

RE

Life itself is pretty depressing, I mean, when you are born, you are going to die, nothing more nothing less. One could say that we can make something of our selves so that we can be remembered by others, but that only lasts as long as humans are around, and even if we accomplish space travel, how will we escape from the Heat Death of the universe, where all existence is extinguished. So, overall, life never had any meaning at all, we were just born, we ate, we had sex, we made kids, and then we had an eternal dreamless sleep, that's it.

So why should Guy McPherson's thesis on "Near Term Extinction" be any different, all it is, is a diagnoses of an incurable disease that will kill you soon, so knowing that you have limited time, you can have some fun and connect with others before everyone hits the grave. Generally, everyone goes through that depressing episode, but they also realise that even in a perfect world where industrial civilisation can be preserved forever, death has a place for everyone, so why become depressed over something that everyone experiences anyway, the suffering will end in bliss anyway.

I would proclaim that the people who are doomers can live off-grid (that should sort the money issue), but then again, they may not be posting on the internet in the first place...

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »
Life itself is pretty depressing, I mean, when you are born, you are going to die, nothing more nothing less. One could say that we can make something of our selves so that we can be remembered by others, but that only lasts as long as humans are around, and even if we accomplish space travel, how will we escape from the Heat Death of the universe, where all existence is extinguished. So, overall, life never had any meaning at all, we were just born, we ate, we had sex, we made kids, and then we had an eternal dreamless sleep, that's it.

That is Nihilism in a Nutshell.

The point here is that we're not just talking about the individual life of a given Homo Sap, but of the species in its entirety, including all the children and grandchildren of the Doomed here.  It takes depressing up a few orders of magnitude. lol.

Yah, we are all destined for extinction when the Sun Goes Red Giant (actually quite a bit before that), but most people like to believe that this is pretty far off in the future.  Guy makes the case that it will happen in the very Near Term, and his case is not a good one, as I have demonstrated at length.

Guy caters to and exacerbates this problem by wallowing in Grief.  His "Pursuing a Life of Excellence" tag line is just Window Dressing, Lipstick on a Pig.  It's a nihilistic Death Cult, plain and simple.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2015, 02:35:01 AM »

That is Nihilism in a Nutshell.

The point here is that we're not just talking about the individual life of a given Homo Sap, but of the species in its entirety, including all the children and grandchildren of the Doomed here.  It takes depressing up a few orders of magnitude. lol.

Yah, we are all destined for extinction when the Sun Goes Red Giant (actually quite a bit before that), but most people like to believe that this is pretty far off in the future.  Guy makes the case that it will happen in the very Near Term, and his case is not a good one, as I have demonstrated at length.

Guy caters to and exacerbates this problem by wallowing in Grief.  His "Pursuing a Life of Excellence" tag line is just Window Dressing, Lipstick on a Pig.  It's a nihilistic Death Cult, plain and simple.

RE

“A single sentence will suffice for modern man. He fornicated and read the papers. After that vigorous definition, the subject will be, if I may say so, exhausted.”
― Albert Camus, The Fall

"There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. Deciding whether or not life is worth living is to answer the fundamental question in philosophy. All other questions follow from that."
― Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Ground much considered before.

I recall studying Camus in college. He was considered an existentialist, although he apparently rejected the label. Yet he described his literary career as opposing nihilism while still delving deeply into individual freedom.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Fenixor

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2015, 06:43:18 AM »
“A single sentence will suffice for modern man. He fornicated and read the papers. After that vigorous definition, the subject will be, if I may say so, exhausted.”
― Albert Camus, The Fall

"There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. Deciding whether or not life is worth living is to answer the fundamental question in philosophy. All other questions follow from that."
― Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Ground much considered before.

I recall studying Camus in college. He was considered an existentialist, although he apparently rejected the label. Yet he described his literary career as opposing nihilism while still delving deeply into individual freedom.

Yep, nothing new for those who took basic lessons in philosophy. He was, as many are today, influenced by the scientific advances in physics that basically tell us life is deterministic. And yet, freaking out about it and turning to suicide/fundamentalism or nihilism is a pointless endeavor. Sometimes I wonder if not more people would have benefitted from taking some early critical thinking, ethics and philosophy classes since so many have come to rely way to much on the "words of experts" without any reflection on their own.