AuthorTopic: Electric Bicycles  (Read 58591 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Bicycles
« Reply #270 on: November 30, 2018, 12:31:17 PM »
Had I been in that thing when the pickup truck that front ended me drove into oncoming traffic last week I'd have been killed.  As it is I'm uninjured.  Electronics batteries and motors are all available but somebody needs to do more than slap the components together to make a solution that works.  Three wheeled electric carts are nothing new.  This one is wrapped in a light plastic shell.  That plastic might shatter in Alaska temperatures.  I'd check into what it is made of before I got one.

I've been to the factory, very nice machines.  He has clients all over the world, including Mother Russia.  It gets cold there too.  I wouldn't take it on the roads currently, I would use the bike paths.

RE

Yep. Gotta pick your spots. Might be fine for local travel, but on a highway? Not likely.
I found myself parked beside a woman who had a Smart ForTwo car last weekend. Really cute. I could not resist asking her about it. She laughed and was very gracious, said she gets that a lot. Said she loved riding it around town, and that it was a perfect commuting vehicle for in town trips. But that she would never take it on an out of town trip.

As AG noted about Contrary's wreck, when you're on the interstate and get rear ended by a drunk going over 100, you want to be wrapped in a steel cage.

Such machines are only for local commuting.  It only has a 45 mile range with the normal batt pack anyhow.  But that's all I need it for.  If I am going out on the highway, it is either my SUV or SaVANnah, which is a beast you don't wanna hit.  Except for big rigs and heavy equipment, it's the biggest 4 wheel vehicle on the road.

Fortunately as well, where I live is connected by bike paths to both downtown Palmer and Downtown Wasilla. I don't have to get out on the road with the carz at all.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #271 on: November 30, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »
Had I been in that thing when the pickup truck that front ended me drove into oncoming traffic last week I'd have been killed.  As it is I'm uninjured.  Electronics batteries and motors are all available but somebody needs to do more than slap the components together to make a solution that works.  Three wheeled electric carts are nothing new.  This one is wrapped in a light plastic shell.  That plastic might shatter in Alaska temperatures.  I'd check into what it is made of before I got one.

A Trike Electric with knobby tires makes things a little better.  This one from Z-electric is only $7K.

I've been to the factory, very nice machines.  He has clients all over the world, including Mother Russia.  It gets cold there too.  I wouldn't take it on the roads currently, I would use the bike paths.

RE

Yep. Gotta pick your spots. Might be fine for local travel, but on a highway? Not likely.
I found myself parked beside a woman who had a Smart ForTwo car last weekend.

Smart ForTwo Passion Cabriolet

Really cute. I could not resist asking her about it. She laughed and was very gracious, said she gets that a lot. Said she loved riding it around town, and that it was a perfect commuting vehicle for in town trips. But that she would never take it on an out of town trip.

As AG noted about Contrary's wreck, when you're on the interstate and get rear ended by a drunk going over 100, you want to be wrapped in a steel cage.

True, but the solution to this inertia of weighty four wheeled (and up) vehicles making hamburger out of humans in light EVs is to restrict the heavy vehicles. The fact is that light vehicles do not wear out roads. SO, companion, cheaply made lanes EXCLUSIVELY limited to LIGHT vehicles is the way to go. Of course the car manufacturers will be dead set against this because they won't make as much money selling smaller, lighter, environmentally friendly, extremely economical vehicles. 👎

However, that is already happening in Germany and the Netherlands. 👍 It is being done.

It could be done here CHEAPLY. It would save humungous amounts of money in fuel not needed, road repairs not needed and pollution not spewed. 

Yeah, I know, that makes too much sense to ever be implemented in the "Rational" USA.
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #272 on: November 30, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
Quote from: AG
However, that is already happening in Germany and the Netherlands. 👍 It is being done.

Then how do they move freight? The draft from 18 wheelers barrel-assing down the road like they own it is enough to knock a Smart car off the road.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #273 on: November 30, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
You are right, RE. The T3-1 Micro  is a very nice machine. Expect the range to be goosed considerably as sales pick up. Battery technology is advancing in leaps and bounds. ✨ Even with present technology, it is child's play to double the range of this vehicle, simply because it is so light to begin with. 🌞

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kKlpnZru4XY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kKlpnZru4XY&fs=1</a>

T3-1 Micro Quick Specs

Range at 25 mph -----------------------------45 miles (Base)
                                                                             57 miles (Lithium)

Top Speed ---------------------------------------40 mph

Battery Capacity -------------------------------- 4.1 Kwh (Base)
                                                                                6 Kwh (Lithium)

MSRP --------------------------------------------- $6,800 (Base)

(Lithium)                                                                $9,690

Read more:

https://www.zelectricvehicle.com/t3-1-micro-enclosed-trike
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #274 on: November 30, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
Quote from: AG

Then how do they move freight? The draft from 18 wheelers barrel-assing down the road like they own it is enough to knock a Smart car off the road.

There are two issues here that you are addressing, not just one. Assuming you have no problem with low weight bearing companion lanes being built next to every Interstate Highway in the USA, the main threat to the small EVs and motorcicles and EV or ICE trikes using these lanes is the drunk driver on an average 4 wheeled vehicle, not the 18 wheeler. Truck drivers, as RE will undoubtedly testify, have a much better track record for safety than the average American driver.

True, the 18 wheelers are still out there and if they stray into a light vehicle lane, they can squeeze or squash them like bugs. It is a matter of probabilities. To reduce the probability of heavy vehicles, such as 18 wheelers, splattering light vehicles all over the place, automatic driving software, now being tested in Colorado, Arizona and Califiornia, is what we need to lower the probabilty of freight moving vehicles killing humans in light vehicles to close to zero. As you know, since the 1940's (at least), even before all the interstates were built, the USA was crisscrossed with "Truck routes". These roads were, in theory, made to handle the weight of freight without breaking apart. Cars generally stayed off of them and ran on roads that were not as beefed up for freight loads.

All that changed when the Interstates were built. BUT, as RE will also testify, the 18 wheelers are well known for destroying Interstate roads from overloading. Yes, they have load checking stations, but a lot of cheating goes on.

The point is that the ability of a road to handle weight, not the frequency of accidents where a heavy vehicle destroys a smaller one, has dictated what roads were built and where people drive. I am saying that a light, cheap lane system, plus the autopilot features on many vehicles, including the really heavy ones carrying freight, is the best approach to saving people money while polluting less.

So, the freight carrying vehicle is not the greatest threat. The greatest threat is the crazy/drunk/asleep/coked up driver. Yes, that is true. The only way to deal with this threat cost effectively, without going full fascist on the driving public, is to put barriers along the companion lanes. The cost of all that infrastructure will be more than compensated for by the savings in fuel and lack of pollution from the massively expanded use of small EVs.

Friend, we are really, really out of time on these transportation issues. I understand where you are at. My wife is in exactly the same place. But frankly, I think we are doomed with our current transportation habits.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:39:16 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 30, 2018, 03:28:29 PM »
You are right, RE. The T3-1 Micro  is a very nice machine. Expect the range to be goosed considerably as sales pick up. Battery technology is advancing in leaps and bounds. ✨ Even with present technology, it is child's play to double the range of this vehicle, simply because it is so light to begin with. 🌞

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kKlpnZru4XY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kKlpnZru4XY&fs=1</a>

T3-1 Micro Quick Specs

57 miles (Lithium)

6 Kwh (Lithium)

Read more:

It gets better range if you upgrade to the Li-I Batts.  But 45 miles is enough for me.  Downtown Palmer is only 4 miles away, downtown Wasilla 6.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2018, 04:02:39 PM »

T3-1 Micro Quick Specs

57 miles (Lithium)

6 Kwh (Lithium)

Read more:

It gets better range if you upgrade to the Li-I Batts.  But 45 miles is enough for me.  Downtown Palmer is only 4 miles away, downtown Wasilla 6.

RE

I noticed at the end of the video that they already have an option to double the range (extra battery just forward of the back seat) for those using the T3-1 Micro for deliveries. 💫 
Faith,

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 30, 2018, 04:13:14 PM »

I noticed at the end of the video that they already have an option to double the range (extra battery just forward of the back seat) for those using the T3-1 Micro for deliveries. 💫 

Darien will also put a small motorcycle trailer hitch on it and you can put more batts in the trailer if range is an issue for you, but as I said this is not an issue for me for the way I would use it.  I have an outdoor outlet under the carport and it would recharge every night.  Plus, I wouldn't use it every day, I generally only go out on prep runs 2-3 times a week.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »

RE

I found myself parked beside a woman who had a Smart ForTwo car last weekend. Really cute. I could not resist asking her about it. She laughed and was very gracious, said she gets that a lot. Said she loved riding it around town, and that it was a perfect commuting vehicle for in town trips. But that she would never take it on an out of town trip.

I may have come off as negative but I'm making an observation.  Being negative is not my intent.  First look at that wheel.  That wheel is available as part of an electronic drive train that you can get from China on Ali-Baba.  All the separate components are available on the Chinese market at good prices.  I don't say the components themselves are good or bad.  Their quality actually improves every year.  This whole e-scooter market phenomena in all its forms has happened because of Chinese lithium battery technology.  I actually like it and it is not negative to just see it for what it is.  Understanding how all the kit parts work together allows me to understand the limitations and capabilities.

As good as the plastic shell may be this is still somebodies tinker toy.  A collection of parts.  Remember, I'm building one too,  My bike is the same technology.  I got some battery packs yesterday.  I almost have as many batteries as I need.  Next I mount them.  I'll be breaking open a pack from some kind of medical equipment today and it may have 15 batteries.  If they are all good I'm almost to my goal.

Another of my wheels.  I have three.  You can read the milli-amphour capacity of some of my tested and charged cells on the table.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 01, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
So...front wheel power or rear wheel power?

I think what you're doing is fairly amazing, btw. I'm willing to swear you in as an expert witness anytime.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #280 on: December 01, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »

RE

I may have come off as negative but I'm making an observation.  Being negative is not my intent.  First look at that wheel.  That wheel is available as part of an electronic drive train that you can get from China on Ali-Baba.  All the separate components are available on the Chinese market at good prices.  I don't say the components themselves are good or bad.  Their quality actually improves every year.  This whole e-scooter market phenomena in all its forms has happened because of Chinese lithium battery technology.  I actually like it and it is not negative to just see it for what it is.  Understanding how all the kit parts work together allows me to understand the limitations and capabilities.

As good as the plastic shell may be this is still somebodies tinker toy.  A collection of parts.  Remember, I'm building one too,  My bike is the same technology.  I got some battery packs yesterday.  I almost have as many batteries as I need.  Next I mount them.  I'll be breaking open a pack from some kind of medical equipment today and it may have 15 batteries.  If they are all good I'm almost to my goal.

Another of my wheels.  I have three.  You can read the milli-amphour capacity of some of my tested and charged cells on the table.

Nice work! I agree that small EVs are, of course, a collection of parts. However, I find the term "tinker toy" to be inappropriately demeaning of a very useful vehicle. Yes, it may be overpriced from your engineering knowledge base standpoint. But, most people do not build their own vehicles, no matter how much they could save by building them. So, I think these small EVs, safety issues and all, will have a greater and greater market share of privately owned vehicles as time goes by.

Here's a slightly bigger model EV from the Z-Electric Micro folks. I like it because you can put a LOT of groceries in the back.

⚡ T3-5D

The T3-5D is the continuing extension of our T3 line of enclosed trike vehicles. From listening to feedback, we added extra doors and leg room for the rear passengers as well as a rear cargo door and fold flat rear seats. We made it go faster and farther and kept it all in a small frame with full hand controls for accessibility. Everything great about the T3-1 and more. 

Quick Specs

Top Speed ------------------40 mphwith lead battery                                     
                                       47 mph with lithium

Range at 30 mph -----------58 miles 68 ah battery                    70 miles with 80 ah battery
                                                                                           100 miles with lithium 100 ah battery

Continuous Power ---------3000 watts

Battery Type ----------------Lead Silicate in 68 or 80 ah
                                                 Lithium in 100 ah

MSRP ------------------------$7,261with 68 ah battery                        $8,178 with 80 ah battery   
                                                                                                   $10,990 with lithium battery

The T3-5 Door gets its name from its 4 side doors an its rear opening cargo door.  With its fold flat rear seats, this little vehicle can haul an impressive amount.  The rear cargo door is 39.4 inches wide and 37.8 inches high. When the metal floor is folded flat, the area is 39.4 wide X 43 inches long.

More Info:

https://www.zelectricvehicle.com/t3-5d-trike

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:37:18 AM by agelbert »
Faith,