AuthorTopic: Official EV Carz Thread  (Read 23837 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
AND THE CROWD GOES WILD !
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2019, 03:25:33 AM »
Wielding Rocks and Knives, Arizonans Attack Self-Driving Cars

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/us/waymo-self-driving-cars-arizona-attacks.html
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
EV Carz - Tesla Roadster to "hover"
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2019, 04:23:25 PM »

At this point, it's difficult to even figure out what the lede is for this story: that Elon Musk Tweeted out something that sounds absurd or that the media instantly picked it up and ran with it without much inquiry as to its validity.

Regardless, on Wednesday, after being prompted by an animated GIF of the famous time machine from Back to the Future 2, Musk took to Twitter to make the claim that that the new Tesla Roadster will "do something like" hovering off the ground. Here is Musk's Tweet from Wednesday:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-11/world-rolls-eyes-elon-musk-claims-teslas-new-roadster-will-hover
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
EV Carz Thread - Musk is TOAST !
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »
The four-door all-wheel-drive GT pushes out 590 horsepower and can do zero to 60 in 3.5 seconds via its two motors (one in the front, the other in back). It has an estimated range of over 248 miles from a 90kWh battery that resides under the seating area. But instead of the typical flat pack, the battery is thicker under the seating area and thinner where you put your feet. By doing that Audi was able to put a high-capacity battery pack in the car without adding height to the vehicle. It's two inches shorter than the current A7 at 4.5 feet tall. It looks the part of a sporty GT.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YVAtfNwZ7bM&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YVAtfNwZ7bM&fs=1</a>

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: EV Carz Thread - Musk is TOAST !
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »
The four-door all-wheel-drive GT pushes out 590 horsepower and can do zero to 60 in 3.5 seconds via its two motors (one in the front, the other in back). It has an estimated range of over 248 miles from a 90kWh battery that resides under the seating area. But instead of the typical flat pack, the battery is thicker under the seating area and thinner where you put your feet. By doing that Audi was able to put a high-capacity battery pack in the car without adding height to the vehicle. It's two inches shorter than the current A7 at 4.5 feet tall. It looks the part of a sporty GT.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YVAtfNwZ7bM&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YVAtfNwZ7bM&fs=1</a>

Speakin' of charging. I expect Audi will be charging at LEAST $150K for one of those. They charge that much for that Lambo lookin' one, what is it? The
R8?

Here in Silicon Gulch, I see all those ultimate driving machines on my commute home in the afternoon. Ferraris too. I don't see 'em in the morning. Those guys sleep in, evidently. They ain't up when I go to work.

I thought of you today. Saw a very nice 4WD Vanagon at lunch, with one of those rooftop tents. Outstanding looking camper. Gold, with vanity plates that read Gretel.

I'm sure there's a story there.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: EV Carz Thread - Musk is TOAST !
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »

Speakin' of charging. I expect Audi will be charging at LEAST $150K for one of those. They charge that much for that Lambo lookin' one, what is it? The
R8?

Here in Silicon Gulch, I see all those ultimate driving machines on my commute home in the afternoon. Ferraris too. I don't see 'em in the morning. Those guys sleep in, evidently. They ain't up when I go to work.

I thought of you today. Saw a very nice 4WD Vanagon at lunch, with one of those rooftop tents. Outstanding looking camper. Gold, with vanity plates that read Gretel.

I'm sure there's a story there.

Musk izzzz gonna' have to make his 2 dr drop top fly in order to keep pace with
Germany.

I can't wait to get junior back from the mid. east to give him his wagon. What a sweet ride.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🔌 Tesla Cuts 3,000 Jobs, Bracing for an Uncertain Future
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2019, 12:13:55 AM »
Adios Elon!

RE

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-layoffs-cost-cutting/

Tesla Cuts 3,000 Jobs, Bracing for an Uncertain Future

As much as the Silicon Valley native is disrupting transport, its core business is building and selling cars. And that’s really hard, even for the established players.
Mason Trinca/The Washington Post/Getty Images

In an open letter to Tesla staff today, CEO Elon Musk announced the automaker is laying off 7 percent of its full-time work force, more than 3,000 people. It’s an effort, Musk wrote, to streamline the company and prepare it for tough times ahead.

It can also seem surprising, given Tesla’s blockbuster, profitable finish to last year. In 2018, Tesla sold nearly as many cars as it had in its entire existence before that. The Model 3 sedan became the best-selling luxury vehicle of the year, handily beating even the SUVs that giants like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus build to suit American tastes.

That recent success, though, threatens to hide the fact that Tesla is still a young entrant in a brutally difficult industry. As much as the Silicon Valley native is disrupting transport with zero-emission vehicles and big promises on self-driving technology, its core business is building and selling cars. And that’s really hard, even for the established players. Last year, General Motors and Ford announced they would stop building sedans for America, to focus on the more lucrative SUV and truck segments. GM plans to close at least three assembly plants and lay off 14,000 people. Morgan Stanley predicts Ford’s job losses could be worse.

“This year will be challenging for all automakers as we are forecasting a dip in new vehicle sales,” says Michelle Krebs, an industry analyst at Autotrader. Tesla already cut roughly 9 percent of its workforce in a round of layoffs in June 2018, but despite that, Musk says staff numbers actually swelled by 30 percent last year. By cutting staff now and finding other savings where it can, Tesla can prepare.

In his letter, Musk said that to grow, Tesla has to stop relying on selling high-end vehicles. “While we have made great progress, our products are still too expensive for most people,” he wrote. That includes the Model 3, whose base price runs between $44,000 and $70,500, depending on the version and options. Those prices have allowed Tesla to make a profit even while slogging through “production hell.” The company is now expanding Model 3 sales to Europe and Asia, again starting with the high-end versions.

Musk wants Tesla to be a major player, competing with the likes of Toyota, Ford, Volkswagen, and GM. That requires achieving the economies of scale that make selling into the mass market a profitable business. Tesla’s all-electric lineup makes that extra hard—batteries are expensive. (This is why most of its competition comes at the luxury end, from vehicles like the Jaguar I-Pace, Audi e-tron SUV, and Mercedes EQC.)

But Tesla can’t go back to its loss-making ways to do it. Now that it has shown it can make a profit, it has set a precedent—and an expectation amongst its shareholders. “The car business is less cyclical than say airlines, which are OK to show profit over summers, and maybe losses over winter when travel slows down,” says says R. A. Farrokhnia, a business and engineering professor at Columbia University. “If Tesla shows a profit, it should sustain momentum.” Turning a profit is supposed to indicate that it is running smoothly, not relying on unsustainable, year-end sales pushes.

Along with the job cuts, Tesla is ending a program that rewarded customers who referred new buyers with chargers and even free cars. (Some writers on news, fan, and video sites shared their codes so widely, 40 people are due a $250,000 Tesla Roadster. Another 20 will get two each.)

Tesla cut the price of all its vehicles by $2,000 at the start of the year, to offset the fact that its buyers can no longer take advantage of a full $7,500 federal tax credit. The credit is currently $3,750, and as Musk writes, it will continue to drop. “The need for a lower priced variant of Model 3 becomes even greater on July 1, when the US tax credit again drops in half, making our car $1,875 more expensive, and again at the end of the year when it goes away entirely.”

Never one to be satisfied with the status quo, Musk ends the letter by forecasting great things to come. “Full self-driving, Model Y, Semi, Truck and Roadster on the vehicle side and Powerwall/pack and Solar Roof on the energy side are only the start,” he writes. Just don’t expect the road to get there to be totally smooth.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Tesla's getting stuck on stupid "In The Arctic Votex"
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »

Futurism
SNOWED IN

The polar vortex that walloped the Midwest before heading East also revealed another roadblock to clean transportation.

Electric cars are unable to handle the cold, owners are discovering. Tesla owners are even finding that their vehicles are frozen shut, according to Mashable — suggesting that electric vehicles aren’t fully equipped to replace gas-powered cars just yet.

In case anybody is wondering how the @Teslaperforms at -23F. About 120 miles range on a full charge Model X 100D @elonmuskpic.twitter.com/vilhhVKOmq

— William H. Spear, MD (@wspear21) January 30, 2019

ACCESS DENIED

The problem of people getting frozen outside of their Teslas could readily be fixed in future model — the specific issue comes from Tesla having chosen a cool design over functional door handles.

https://wordpress.futurism.com/tesla-freezing-polar-vortex/?src=featured

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla's getting stuck on stupid "In The Arctic Votex"
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
Tesla was Stuck on Stupid long before the Polar Vortex was even named as a phenomenon.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Official EV Carz Thread
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
Seems like a sometimes cold problem. The brother in law garages his like you usually do with most higher end sports cars in places where the weather gets bad continuously. It would be fun to compare how many calls were made for dead start batteries, failure to  turn over or kilowatts expended on block heater electricity...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2019, 10:46:55 AM »
It isn't just electric cars that get frozen shut in severe cold and ice. Any car can and will, in the right circumstances. Being electric has nothing to do with it.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »
It isn't just electric cars that get frozen shut in severe cold and ice. Any car can and will, in the right circumstances. Being electric has nothing to do with it.

You don't have experience living in the frozen north.

I in fact have this problem right now with my SUV.  Froze up from lack of regular use and the fact I wasn't keeping that one on a trickle charger like I do with SaVANnah.  My bad.

Thing is, with an ICE, if my Batt goes south on me, I CAN repair it cheap.  I will need a new Batt for this vehicle, $90.  Most of the time I could just jump it, but not this time baby, the fucking batt froze up solid and the cells are damaged.  It is fucking history.

How will Tesla Batts stand up to a week straight of -40 F or C?  I betchya not too long.  How much to replace a Batt Pack for a Tesla?  $5000.  Only Rich people would buy something like this.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
I'd sure like to know how much freeze testing was done on those plastic, wind up, POS carz of Musk's ?

The heat testing was done out here a number of years ago. They'd run em' from here down to Yuma & then over to Death Valley in July.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »

I in fact have this problem right now with my SUV.  Froze up from lack of regular use and the fact I wasn't keeping that one on a trickle charger like I do with SaVANnah.  My bad.

Thing is, with an ICE, if my Batt goes south on me, I CAN repair it cheap.  I will need a new Batt for this vehicle, $90.  Most of the time I could just jump it, but not this time baby, the fucking batt froze up solid and the cells are damaged.  It is fucking history.

How will Tesla Batts stand up to a week straight of -40 F or C?  I betchya not too long.  How much to replace a Batt Pack for a Tesla?  $5000.  Only Rich people would buy something like this.

RE
-40 for a week? probably not without being connected. The lithium batteries can freeze and come back and deliver a charge down to -20C what they cannot do is be charged up below freezing... The onboard battery management system would use the battery power to keep its battery alive and viable as long as possible if it got too discharged and cold it would hibernate itself. When it was plugged in again it would fire up the battery heater first before it tried to charge itself. If you are dumb enough to not plug in an electric car when its that cold you should not be on the road.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2019, 12:04:34 PM »

RE
-40 for a week? probably not without being connected. The lithium batteries can freeze and come back and deliver a charge down to -20C what they cannot do is be charged up below freezing... The onboard battery management system would use the battery power to keep its battery alive and viable as long as possible if it got too discharged and cold it would hibernate itself. When it was plugged in again it would fire up the battery heater first before it tried to charge itself. If you are dumb enough to not plug in an electric car when its that cold you should not be on the road.

No, you probably should not be out on the road at those temps.  But what about if I was ALREADY out on the road, say on trip to Fairbanks for a a Gymnastics Meet and to view the Ice Sculpture Festival in mid Februaray?  That BTW is a real life example. If in fact I could even make it to Fairbanks from the Valley, since AFAIK there are no Charging Stations for an EV along the Parks Highway?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »

RE

No, you probably should not be out on the road at those temps.  But what about if I was ALREADY out on the road, say on trip to Fairbanks for a a Gymnastics Meet and to view the Ice Sculpture Festival in mid Februaray?  That BTW is a real life example. If in fact I could even make it to Fairbanks from the Valley, since AFAIK there are no Charging Stations for an EV along the Parks Highway?

RE
What is the distance? basically it has a heat pump on it that does heating and cooling of the bank and the car. just running the thing heats up the battery some the rest is powered by the battery itself using the heat pump. When its that cold the heat pump would probably be using a heating element since you can't easily exchange heat at that temperature. I think the article mentioned 120 mile range.