AuthorTopic: Score One For the Good Guys---Coral Bay Update  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Score One For the Good Guys---Coral Bay Update
« on: December 01, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »
Saw this today. Looks like Coral Bay won't be developed, at least not this time.

(from the News of St. John blog)

Has Coral Bay Been Saved?

December 1, 2015

For those who you who oppose the megamarina in Coral Bay, we have some great news for you today. The Army Corps of Engineers officials recently handed the developers a “near death blow,” according to a recent article printed in the St. John Tradewinds.

(Side note before we get into the details: The Tradewinds was recently sold to a few folks on island, and it’s quite good these days. So if you’re on island, please pick up a copy. It comes out every Monday and only costs $1.)

According to the Tradewinds article, the Army Corps asked the developers to respond to a list of 133 concerns within 30 days of receiving the notice. The developers subsequently asked for additional time. (No surprise there.) The Army Corps then stated that their application was “effectively being withdrawn until the applicant could respond to all 133 concerns,” the article stated.

And according to David Silverman of Save Coral Bay, the Army Corps’ notice also included 15,000 letters of opposition and a mere nine letters of support for the megamarina. So kudos to all of you who took the time to write.

Speaking of David Silverman, he is pretty badass – pardon the language but that’s the only way I could think of describing him this morning. :) As the head of Save Coral Bay, he was able to garner 15,000 letters of opposition during the first round of the Army Corps’ public comment period, 22,000 letters during the second round, 2,000 pages of formal comments from the Coral Bay Community Council and Save Coral Bay, and also 33 pages of legal analysis from their federal lawyers.

So what’s David Silverman’s take on the latest development?

“The way I interpret this action by ACOE to provide this extensive list of requirements is that it demonstrates that the community and federal agencies have wide ranging and serious concerns with the project,” David Silverman stated in this week’s issue of The Tradewinds. “These concerns are not frivolous; they are very, very real concerns because they do need a response. It is going to take a very substantial amount of time and investment for the applicant to respond to the extensive list of concerns. We believe that many of the concerns are unsurmountable which no amount of study is going to make go away, and the comments including two agencies that have specifically recommended denial of the project, all support this conclusion.”

http://newsofstjohn.com/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:39:58 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Score One For the Good Guys---Coral Bay Update
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
Possible blowback from frustrated developers?

These stickers have been showing up on the ubiquitous garbage dumpsters parked in neighborhoods around the island of St. John.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »
Possible blowback from frustrated developers?

These stickers have been showing up on the ubiquitous garbage dumpsters parked in neighborhoods around the island of St. John.

Maybe. But who, exactly, are "good guys"? Is that how you define people who agree with you?
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
The fifteen thousand people who wrote letters to head off that really bad idea of building a huge upscale marina complex  in the last free anchorage in US waters. That's who I call the good guys.

I'm not a fan of greedy real estate developers who want to pave the very last little bit of paradise. Sorry. I've written about this for two years. I'd have thought my position was fairly clear.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »

Speaking of David Silverman, he is pretty badass – pardon the language but that’s the only way I could think of describing him this morning. :) As the head of Save Coral Bay, he was able to garner 15,000 letters of opposition during the first round of the Army Corps’ public comment period, 22,000 letters during the second round, 2,000 pages of formal comments from the Coral Bay Community Council and Save Coral Bay, and also 33 pages of legal analysis from their federal lawyers.

Not quite up there in the Stratosphere with Edward Snowden and Julian Assange, but David Silverman goes into the Heros of the Revolution pantheon of fighters.

The Sea Gypsies and Vacationing Dentists will have another year to enjoy what is left of the island beauty before it sinks beneath the rising seas and the coral is all bleached out.

RE
Save As Many As You Can