AuthorTopic: The World's Most Responsible Billionaire Dies In Tragic Accident  (Read 714 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The World's Most Responsible Billionaire Dies In Tragic Accident
« on: December 09, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »
Doug Tompkins was not exactly an accidental billionaire, because his companies were tremendously well thought out and socially responsible from the beginning. He used his money on the most ambitious project for wilderness preservation that has ever been envisioned, and he achieved most of his goals.

I always figured the people working for him in Patagonia would be the last outpost on earth if climate change got as bad as it looked like it was going to get.

He went out in a kayak, which I'm sure was the way he'd have wanted it...but I'm sorry to see him go.

RIP.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The World's Most Responsible Billionaire Dies In Tragic Accident
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »
Better a kayak than a car accident. Better living, then sitting in an apartment somewhere waiting, sitting in a home waiting, sitting...waiting.

Get in a kayak and DO something, get on a motorcycle or in a race car, take it to the track and DO something, go hiking across the country, ski a big mountain, go grizzly hunting with a pistol, good for this guy, going out how anyone who understand the difference between life and clocking time would prefer.

Good for him, living, instead of typing, sitting, or waiting, acting instead of whining, working for what he earned instead of mooching, dreaming with zero intent to act, doing what humans are supposed to do with as many of the heartbeats they have been allotted as possible.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04:19 AM »
go grizzly hunting with a pistol

Not a good idea, LOL.  And if you do, don't use hollow points. ;D

Grizzly bears have a much different mindset than the black bears species. To stop a grizzly attack, you will PROBABLY have to kill it, but sometimes all you have to do is to hurt it badly and the bear will become dissuaded. So, when planning to stop grizzly attacks, it is best to use a cartridge that will kill itóthe quicker the better. Interior grizzlies normally get no bigger than 500 lbs, but in Montana, Iíve seen interior bears around 900 lbs., but this is very rare.  Coastal grizzlies, sometimes known as Alaskan Brown Bears, often exceed 1000 lbs.
➤  If you are relying on shoulder or heart/lung shots to kill such a bear, it takes a lot of cartridge. One that will make a big hole that goes very deeply through bone and into internal organs. If you hit him fatally in the chest area, you will then have roughly 15 to 30 seconds to stay alive before the bear learns he is dead.
➤  If you are relying on brain shots, it is not all that hard to kill adult grizzly bears. Almost any center fire cartridge of 357 bore or larger with a very hard non-expanding, flat nosed bullet will pierce a bears skull with direct /frontal (between the eyes) hits. From the side angle, shoot them right at the bottom of the ear canal. These two shots are instant death, if you are using correct ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 02:56:23 PM »
go grizzly hunting with a pistol

Not a good idea, LOL.  And if you do, don't use hollow points. ;D

During a week long firearms training course (decades after I had already learned to use one), we were offered multiple weapons, and choose to pick one to concentrate on during our training. The choices were a 44 magnum pistol, a 12 gauge, or a 300 Weatherby. I choose the 12 gauge, and me and the ex-Marines who were there with a bunch of stupid shit civvies had a blast screwing around. The entire course was about becoming certified to carry a gun in places where guns normally aren't allowed, but with the right certification from an official government agency that will go unnamed, we would be allowed to circumnavigate that rule. It was a blast, their ammo and guns, enough practice to get the weapon figured out, and then it was just putting lead downrange. The civvies were downright dangerous choosing pistols, thinking they were easier to carry in the bush, they couldn't hit shit with them, some failed the course because of it.

Only time I've ever gone after bear, it was with a 12 gauge, shooting 3" mag slugs. I carried the 44 as backup.

Quote from: Eddie
Grizzly bears have a much different mindset than the black bears species. To stop a grizzly attack, you will PROBABLY have to kill it, but sometimes all you have to do is to hurt it badly and the bear will become dissuaded. So, when planning to stop grizzly attacks, it is best to use a cartridge that will kill itóthe quicker the better. Interior grizzlies normally get no bigger than 500 lbs, but in Montana, Iíve seen interior bears around 900 lbs., but this is very rare.  Coastal grizzlies, sometimes known as Alaskan Brown Bears, often exceed 1000 lbs.
➤  If you are relying on shoulder or heart/lung shots to kill such a bear, it takes a lot of cartridge. One that will make a big hole that goes very deeply through bone and into internal organs. If you hit him fatally in the chest area, you will then have roughly 15 to 30 seconds to stay alive before the bear learns he is dead.
➤  If you are relying on brain shots, it is not all that hard to kill adult grizzly bears. Almost any center fire cartridge of 357 bore or larger with a very hard non-expanding, flat nosed bullet will pierce a bears skull with direct /frontal (between the eyes) hits. From the side angle, shoot them right at the bottom of the ear canal. These two shots are instant death, if you are using correct ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagicmagnum.html

3000 foot pounds and a slug nearly 1.5 ounces in weight. I recommend avoiding grizzlies usually. But as with all things, when something can't be avoided, don't go into a gun fight with a knife.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama