AuthorTopic: Declassified U.S. Government Report on Fukushima: “100% of The Total Spent Fuel  (Read 784 times)

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-12-10/declassified-us-government-report-%E2%80%9C100-total-spent-fuel-was-released-atmosphere-unit

We reported in 2011 that the International Atomic Energy Agency knew within weeks that Fukushima had melted down … but failed and refused to tell the public.

The same year, we reported in 2011 that the U.S. knew within days of the Fukushima accident that Fukushima had melted down … but failed to tell the public.

We noted in 2012:

The fuel pools and rods at Fukushima appear to have “boiled”, caught fire and/or exploded soon after the earthquake knocked out power systems. See this, this, this, this and this.

Now, a declassified report written by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission on March 18, 2011 – one week after the tidal wave hit Fukushima – states:

The source term provided to NARAC was: (1) 25% of the total fuel in unit 2 released to the atmosphere, (2) 50% of the total spent fuel from unit 3 was released to the atmosphere, and (3) 100% of the total spent fuel was released to the atmosphere from unit 4.

FukushimaNARAC is the the U.S. National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center, located at the University of California’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. NARAC “provides tools and services that map the probable spread of hazardous material accidentally or intentionally released into the atmosphere“.

The fuel pools at Units 3 and 4 contained enormous amounts of radiation.

For example, there was “more cesium in that [Unit 4] fuel pool than in all 800 nuclear bombs exploded above ground.”

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
I thought about posting this to Facebook but didn't.  Not that I was expecting anyone to react to it.  Shock is my reaction to just how bad this situation is.  I knew when it happened back in 2011 that it was going to be bad beyond belief.  Most people simply can't process this kind of information so they just shut it out.  I expect the cancer rates are really going to shoot up in the coming years. 

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
For example, there was “more cesium in that [Unit 4] fuel pool than in all 800 nuclear bombs exploded above ground.”

That quote wasn't from a reliable source like NARAC, it was from Arnie Gundersen, a notorious anti-nuke lawyer who twists words (lies). (see http://www.fairewinds.org/content/arnie-gundersen-kgo-radio-disaster-lingering-fukushima-daiichi-unit-4 - NOT FOUND).  Caesium in fuel rods is quite different from caesium in a nuclear bomb.

Nevertheless, this is catastrophic news.  The report ( http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1212/ML12122A949.pdf ) says there were 514 spent fuel rods bundles in Unit 3, and 1,201 in Unit 4.

It's nice to know that NARAC “provides tools and services that map the probable spread of hazardous material accidentally or intentionally released into the atmosphere“.  But where are the maps of what we now know happened?  Did the material spread all round the globe, the northern hemisphere, just Japan and west coast US, just 1 km from Fukushima?
The State is a body of armed men

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
It's quite bad enough, I'm sure, but the ocean is a large flask, and water an excellent diluent.

It's gone world wide by now, I'm pretty sure, but toxic filth is still spewing out at some reduced rate, from the source, and will until long after we're dead. The closer you are to the currents that take it away from there, the higher the risk.

It's not bad enough to kill us all, but more bad babies are guaranteed, more stillbirths (humans and other animals), and more problems in the ocean ecosystems, which are failing already.

I'll trust Gunderson before I trust the government, btw.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
One reactor burned to toxic steam.  Four hundred and thirty seven left to go.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/nuclear-basics/global-number-of-nuclear-reactors.aspx
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:13:36 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.