AuthorTopic: History in Photographs  (Read 11920 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: History in Photographs - Portrait - Helen Mirren Then and Now
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2017, 04:07:24 AM »
What an actress. :emthup:

:emthup: :emthup:

What an actress, indeed.

For my part, I first became aware of her in John Boorman's "Excalibur," where she played Morgana. Wowza.

Her appearance in a film generally classes up the joint. I'm a fan.

Amazing how some folks just excel at what they do and glow like beacons over most others in their field Surly.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: History in Photographs Childhood Photos Of The Most Evil People In History
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 04:56:36 AM »
 Such sweet looking children.  :-\ :icon_scratch:

Josef Mengele was a German Schutzstaffel (SS) officer and physician in Auschwitz concentration camp during World War II. Mengele was a notorious member of the team of doctors responsible for the selection of victims to be killed in the gas chambers and for performing deadly human experiments on prisoners.

Benito Mussolini was an Italian politician, journalist, and leader of the National Fascist Party (Partito Nazionale Fascista; PNF), ruling the country as Prime Minister from 1922 to 1943. He ruled constitutionally until 1925, when he dropped all pretense of democracy and set up a legal dictatorship. Known as Il Duce (The Leader), Mussolini was the founder of Italian Fascism.

Himmler’s SS organized and administered Germany’s regime of concentration camps and, after 1941, the holocaust in Poland.

Andrei Romanovich Chikatilo was a Soviet serial killer, nicknamed the Butcher of Rostov, the Red Ripper, and the Rostov Ripper, who committed the sexual assault, murder, and mutilation of at least 52 women and children between 1978 and 1990 in the Russian SFSR.

Charles Milles Manson is an American criminal and former cult leader who led what became known as the Manson Family, a quasi-commune that arose in California in the late 1960s. Manson’s followers committed a series of nine murders at four locations in July and August of 1969.

Jeffrey Dahmer, also known as the Milwaukee Cannibal, was an American serial killer and sex offender, who committed the rape, murder, and dismemberment of seventeen men and boys between 1978 and 1991.

Aileen Carol Wuornos was an American serial killer who killed seven men in Florida between 1989 and 1990 by shooting them at point-blank range.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: History in Photographs
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »
Some rare and historic photos that caught my eye. Hope you find them interesting as I did.  GO

Che Guevara atop a mule in Las Villas province, Cuba, November 1958.

Anti-war Protesters In Trafalgar Square. 17 May 1936

anti Miss-America protest

Charlie Chaplin arrives in England in Frebruary 19th, 1931

Daytona Beach, Florida, c.1904.  ;D :D

Construction worker tightens bolts on The Empire State Building, 1930

Corner of State and Madison after the Great Chicago Fire. October 8, 1871

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, in the years 1964 and 1965 respectively, both aged 18

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: History in Photographs - 11:00 A.M. Monday, May 9th, 1910 - Lewis Hine
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 05:45:03 PM »
Surly should enjoy this one.

11:00 A.M. Monday, May 9th, 1910. Newsies at Skeeter's Branch, Jefferson near Franklin. They were all smoking. Location: St. Louis, Missouri.

Artist:
    Lewis Hine (American, 1874–1940)

Date:
    May 9, 1910

Medium:
    Gelatin silver print

In 1908 Lewis Hine accepted a position as chief investigator and photographer for the National Child Labor Committee (NCLC), a private organization founded in 1904 to promote legislation to protect children from exploitation by American industry. Children as young as four years old labored in a variety of trades for up to twelve hours a day. During the sixteen years that Hine worked for the NCLC (often posing as an insurance inspector to gain access to the worksite), he made some five thousand photographs of children at work in mines, farms, canneries, sweatshops, and the street. Less troubling than many of Hine's pictures of child labor, this casual portrait of a trio of newspaper sellers, or newsies, shows the young boys awkwardly assuming the roles and mannerisms of manhood.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: History in Photographs - 11:00 A.M. Monday, May 9th, 1910 - Lewis Hine
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2018, 05:39:14 AM »
Surly should enjoy this one.

11:00 A.M. Monday, May 9th, 1910. Newsies at Skeeter's Branch, Jefferson near Franklin. They were all smoking. Location: St. Louis, Missouri.

Artist:
    Lewis Hine (American, 1874–1940)

Date:
    May 9, 1910

Medium:
    Gelatin silver print

In 1908 Lewis Hine accepted a position as chief investigator and photographer for the National Child Labor Committee (NCLC), a private organization founded in 1904 to promote legislation to protect children from exploitation by American industry. Children as young as four years old labored in a variety of trades for up to twelve hours a day. During the sixteen years that Hine worked for the NCLC (often posing as an insurance inspector to gain access to the worksite), he made some five thousand photographs of children at work in mines, farms, canneries, sweatshops, and the street. Less troubling than many of Hine's pictures of child labor, this casual portrait of a trio of newspaper sellers, or newsies, shows the young boys awkwardly assuming the roles and mannerisms of manhood.

And I do. Lewis Hine's work attracted me as Icame of age. His photographs were instrumental in changing child labor laws in the United States.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Not a particularly great photo by a skilled photographer, but one my instincts told me was distinct and worthy due to the folks pictured as well as the one not pictured. Was fond of all of them but Allen my favorite of the group.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2018, 09:06:44 PM »
They were all bound up together much as we are. (Kerouac was the Palloy of the group, in his old age).

Their stories have interested me since I was boy. I think of them together with Kesey, and also Leary, and Ram Dass. Later on I added Dr. Thompson, and even later, Charles Bukowski.

They were beatniks and hippies. We are the collapseniks.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
They were all bound up together much as we are. (Kerouac was the Palloy of the group, in his old age).

Their stories have interested me since I was boy. I think of them together with Kesey, and also Leary, and Ram Dass. Later on I added Dr. Thompson, and even later, Charles Bukowski.

They were beatniks and hippies. We are the collapseniks.

Which role do you get to play in the Feature Film?  Who does Surly get to play?  Who do I get to play?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2018, 09:43:39 PM »
Surly reminds me of Kesey. He was a big hulking guy.

You can be Hunter, and I'll play Ram Dass. I always thought he was was much cooler than Leary, who had that new England WASP upbringing he couldn't shake. He was like Bill Buckley on LSD.

Sometime I'll have to rant about the guy who saved Harbin. Goes by Ishvarra, if he's still alive. Originally Bob Hartley. He's in his 80's now.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
Surly reminds me of Kesey. He was a big hulking guy.

You can be Hunter, and I'll play Ram Dass. I always thought he was was much cooler than Leary, who had that new England WASP upbringing he couldn't shake. He was like Bill Buckley on LSD.

Sometime I'll have to rant about the guy who saved Harbin. Goes by Ishvarra, if he's still alive. Originally Bob Hartley. He's in his 80's now.

Sounds good.  AZ gets to be Timothy Leary.  :icon_mrgreen:  Knarf can be Dylan since he is a musician.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: History in Photographs - In Memeory of Dr Martin Luther King
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2018, 06:06:58 AM »

Thousands of young people march through Times Square in New York on April 5, 1968, bound for City Hall after a rally in Central Park. The demonstrators, both black and white, were protesting the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. The line stretched some 12 blocks at times as they marched down Broadway.
John Lindsay / AP

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: History in Photographs - In Memeory of Dr Martin Luther King
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »

Original caption: "Memphis, Tennessee. An unidentified woman has difficulty holding back her tears as she watches the casket of slain civil-rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., put aboard a plane for transport to his home in Atlanta, Georgia."
Bettmann / Getty

One of the last pictures to be taken of Martin Luther King Jr., as he spoke to a mass rally in Memphis, Tennessee, on April 3, 1968, saying he would not halt his plans for a massive demonstration scheduled for April 8 in spite of a federal injunction.
Bettmann / Getty

People stand near a destroyed and burned-out building on 14th Street and Kenyon Street in northwest Washington on April 6, 1968.
Darrell C. Crain / D.C. Public Library Specials Collections / AP

More than 2,000 paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division were flown into Washington, D.C., on April 6, 1968, to augment the federal and national guard units already on duty in riot-torn sections of the city. #
Bettmann / Getty

Coretta Scott King, the widow of Martin Luther King Jr., walks on the arm of Dr. Ralph Abernathy, her husband's successor as head of the Southern Christian Leadership conference, leading about 10,000 people in a memorial march in King's honor. The King children—Yolanda, Martin III, and Dexter—are at left with Harry Belafonte. Reverend Andrew Young marches next to Dr. Abernathy.
Bettmann / Getty

[imghttps://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/photo/2018/04/mlk/m33_AP6804080213/main_1200.jpg?1522783101]http://[/img]

Rows of Pennsylvania national guardsmen march down the street and sidewalks clearing the area in Pittsburgh's Hill District on April 8, 1968. Residents lean from windows watching the show of force. The guardsmen were called out to restore order following three days of arson and looting in the district.
AP

Firemen gather around a fire engine near the intersection of 14th and Irving Streets in Washington, D.C., on April 6, 1968, following rioting after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. #

A soldier and civilians walk near a destroyed newsstand at 14th and Kenyon Streets in northwest Washington, D.C., on April 6, 1968, following rioting after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. #

President Johnson called federal troops into the nation's capital to restore peace after a day of arson, looting, and violence on April 5, 1968. Here, a trooper stands guard in the street as another (left) patrols a completely demolished building. #
Bettmann / Getty

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2018, 07:18:29 AM »
When it comes time for Trump to call in Federal Troops to restore order he will probably authorize the use of tactical nuclear weapons.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2018, 07:27:21 AM »
When it comes time for Trump to call in Federal Troops to restore order he will probably authorize the use of tactical nuclear weapons.
Hyperbole. President Trump is an American citizen with a family and desires like the rest of us.

Hate or dislike him all you wish, he certainly is a controversial person but he is one of us, a fellow citizen elected our president by fellow citizens who rejected the status quo of career politicians and their never ending lies bull shit and lining of their own pockets. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2018, 07:34:48 AM »
Hyperbole. President Trump is an American citizen with a family and desires like the rest of us.

Hate or dislike him all you wish, he certainly is a controversial person but he is one of us, a fellow citizen elected our president by fellow citizens who rejected the status quo of career politicians and their never ending lies bull shit and lining of their own pockets.

You never said such nice things about Obama-sama.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN