AuthorTopic: Sunday Gloom Reading  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Archie

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Sunday Gloom Reading
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
I just got around to reading the latest Rolling Stone, which arrived on Friday.  Contained therein is a powerhouse article from Bill McKibbon Global Warming's Terrible New Math.  Good synopsis of the state of political football relating to the trashing of the biosphere.

I was also perusing the online version of my old hometown rag and came across an article related to recent evidence that an El Nino is currently forming in the Pacific.  According to the reporter, this is likely to exacerbate the current drought conditions.  Some NOAA map links in the article as well.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/el_nino_weather.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:21:04 PM by Archie »

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Sunday Gloom Reading
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »
Archie,
For some reason the link in your post to the excellent Mckibbon article is broken.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719

By the way, I was working at Syracuse TRACON (tower radar approach control) when the strike hit in August of 1981. It was quite exciting because I was one of the few that didn't strike. I got some sand in my F150 ford pickup gas tank, a few empty threats and phone calls and the union boys at Courtesy Ford saying they "forgot" to get an oil sample on my $1,192 major overhaul on my engine. My homeowner's wouldn't cover it, despite the scored piston rings I showed the insurance agent because I lacked an oil sample. I did enjoy the 150 inches or so of snow up there at my house in Clay, however. I was there from 1978 to the end of 1981. Good old Syracuse; one of the lowest skin cancer rates in the country because the sun isn't out too much. The apples and grapes love it, though. ;D

I guess the drought has changed things somewhat but I didn't know New york State was being hit that hard. Here in Vermont only the upper half is slightly dry and it's not that big a problem yet.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:50:38 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Archie

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »
Thanks AG, I fixed the link in the original post (had a " mark that didn't belong).  Can't say that I remember the particular situation at Hancock Field, since I was going through my own turmoil as a Carrier employee during the hostile UTC takeover at that time.  Left the corporate world (and Syracuse) for good in 1983.  Miss the excellent restaurants there though.  BTW, did you know that Hancock is now the "drone capital" of the NE FSofA? 

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
Archie,
Yeah, I read about that and some brave folks picketed them (That female retired officer and peace activist Ann Wright was among them). This is so sick. There was a pretty serious Catholic Parish I belonged to on route 11 called St. Rose of Lima. I wonder how they are rationalizing this murder by drone.   

They built a new tower after I left. I remember being in the old tower one day and we felt a "THUMP" and we said WTF was that? Some idiot in the aircraft parking area couldn't get a Cherokee six (260 hp single engine six seater) started to take an old lady passenger someplace so he got out to prop start it but forgot to set the brakes (the lady was in one of the back seats). The engine kicks over and the plane roared toward the tower about 50 feet away while the pilot had ducked the propeller and was trying to board the plane. Except for a very frightened but unhurt lady, nobody was hurt but the plane got crunched pretty bad.

So you suffered through the Carrier job elimination situation. I bought a house from Mufaldi builders in Clay and I got it for $54,000. That exact same house and model built, also by Mufaldi, in Albany was selling for $90,000 plus because of the 25,000 jobs that disappeared from Carrier to Mexico, I believe. It was definitely a buyers market but when I sold 3 years later I didn't make a nickel for the same reason.
Faith,

Offline Archie

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »

Yeah, I read about that and some brave folks picketed them (That female retired officer and peace activist Ann Wright was among them). This is so sick. There was a pretty serious Catholic Parish I belonged to on route 11 called St. Rose of Lima. I wonder how they are rationalizing this murder by drone.   

Gosh AG, you're making me feel all nostalgic and shit, LOL.  My youngest brother still lives in Syracuse but travels a lot in his work.  He is also a member of St. Rose and has been running a food pantry and soup kitchen for quite a few years.  There are a lot of very serious activists in the St. Rose congregation, not the least of which are the Berrigan brothers who have been arrested on several occasions protesting the drones at Hancock.  I would also point out, and especially to Surly if he is reading this thread, that the Occupy movement in Syracuse remains pretty active and most definitely defiant.  It might have something to do with the high number of ex-cons in the movement who have "been down so long it looks like up" to them.  Where in Vermont are you?  My youngest son and family is in Boston and my wife and I are looking to relocate in that neck of the woods within the next 2 years.  Would love to tip a few with you and yours if the occasion presents itself.  Are you a lager man?

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:19 PM »
Archie,
Good for your brother. I imagine Father Costello is long retired from St. Rose of Lima. I am glad to see members of that parish fighting the good fight. I had some good times at that parish. I am no longer a Catholic but while I was there I was a Eucharistic minister and even played guitar in prayer meetings for Charismatic Christians. Father Costello was a bit of a disciplinarian and wasn't real happy with the Charismatics but he would put up with us. Speaking of being a lager man, not any more because I have a pace maker and am trying to keep my blood pressure down but thanks for the offer.  I'm pretty much of a homebody and never go out to eat to keep my carbon footprint as low as possible. I think the last time I saw the inside of a bar was in 1997 when I first got to Vermont. My health has gone downhill since then but I just take it one day at a time. Getting back to St.  Rose of Lima, there was this big mass we were going to have in the mall near the parish and we Eucharistic ministers had to attend the crowd. since Vatican two had pushed consecrated wine for the people, not just for the priest, two of us had to provide the consecrated wine with a small cloth to wipe the edge after each person received Communion while the other two dispensed the consecrated unleavened bread host. The rule was, if you drop a host, you must consume it. I didn't know what the rule for consecrated wine was but we were told to try not to let any of it spill. Well, those chalices were big and full of wine. The parishioners were a bit straight laced and wouldn't let the kids (who were quite eager to drink the wine) near our chalices. So there we were with almost full chalices after communion. Father Costello looked us in the eye and said, drink it, it's consecrated wine and cannot be returned to the sacristy.  The other guy was a nondrinker and looked quite uncomfortable but I followed orders without hesitation. That was the holiest buzz I have ever gotten!

I'll be happy to give you information on what I believe to be a good area to live in here in Vermont. Colchester just jacked up the appraised value of housing 40% on the average. The people are not taking it lying down and a lot of feathers have been flying at the town council meetings (I've never gone - I just read the minutes). Many people that have camps by the lake challenged the taxes saying they rent that land and the taxes should apply to the land owner, not them. It went to court and they won against the Town and the town wants to appeal it. The bottom line is that you need to look at the property tax picture closely. Essex Junction has some nice housing but nothing is reasonable. I've been watching the prices in Colchester and they are, slowly but surely, going down but they are way too high still. I can only afford to live here because my home is a manufactured home I bought new in 2000 and paid off in three years and now only have to make the rent of $415 a month and about $800 in property taxes. IF IBM goes through a big series of layoffs like they did several years ago or transfers a lot of their chip operations to Fishkill, NY, there may be some bargains in Woodlands, Fairview and surrounding areas of Essex Junction. Just look at them in google earth and you will see they are pretty Nice. But at $300,000 to $450,000 I consider the current prices nuts. The GAAP rules I learned are that you multiply your annual income by 2.5 and that's all the house you can afford. Playing with the monthly payment is what got people in trouble when they lost their jobs. I'm retired but, if I had to, I know I could sell my place easily for $55,000 because it sits on about 1/3 acre of wooded land. Yeah, I'm frugal to the point of being cheap. :icon_mrgreen: I just cannot stand to be in debt to anyone.
All that said, I watch the real estate pretty closely as a matter of personal interest. Vermont has preserved housing prices rather well. The cheapest house prices that I have seen lately are in Barre (I've never been there - it's just through the realtor listings). Montpelier is pricey and Shelburne is where a lot of the well to do live. Grand Isle had a lot of flooding and some "bargains" there may not be such good deals.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions ,feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:53:31 PM by agelbert »
Faith,