AuthorTopic: The Environment Board  (Read 16457 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Outcry as Canada Considers Nuclear Waste Facility on U.S. Border

By Oil Price
Created 15 Nov 2013

Canadian plans for a large nuclear waste facility on the US border are triggering a cross-border public outcry and a looming diplomatic backlash.

Canada is planning to build the nuclear waste facility in the town of Kincardine, on the Canadian side of Lake Huron and directly opposite the thumb of the US state of Michigan.

The facility would store 200,000 cubic meters of radioactive waste from Ontario’s 20 nuclear reactors.

While Ontario Power Generation insists that the facility would be kept safe for thousands of years due to the fact that it would be more than 2,200 feet underground in a layer of limestone and covered with a 660-foot layer of shale, the public is skeptical about the potential threat this poses to Lake Huron—one of the world’s largest fresh water bodies.

The Canadian government is expected to issue a recommendation in the coming weeks to the Cabinet, which will decide whether to approve plans for the facility. But on the diplomatic front, they will face pressure to reject the project.

US senators Debbie Stabenow and Carl Levin sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry urging him to seek the involvement of the International Joint Commission in asking the Canadians to reconsider the plans.

“The placement of this nuclear waste storage facility is of great concern given its location near Lake Huron and the importance of the Great Lakes to tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian citizens for drinking water, fisheries, tourism, recreation and other industrial and economic uses. Special consideration must be given to the potential environmental impacts of such a large radioactive waste site on the shores of our region’s most important natural resource,” Stabenow and Levin wrote.

U.S. federal officials have also joined the fight to oppose the plans.

[Hear More: John Hofmeister: Politics Raising the Cost of Energy in the US [1]]

The project has also sparked a public outcry, from both sides of the border. Lake Huron is one of the five Great Lakes that comprise the largest group of freshwater lakes in the world and provide 21% of all fresh water supplies. Tens of millions of Americans and Canadians rely on these lakes for fresh water.

Not only do 24 million Americans get their drinking water from the Great Lakes, but this also represents a $2.4-billion fishing industry and a $13-billion tourism industry.

Despite this, the residents of Kincardine itself—the proposed site of the waste facility—largely support the project, which will bring in new jobs to this small town.

By. Charles Kennedy of Oilprice.com
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fso/~3/t8wB-CmNgj4/outcry-as-canada-considers-nuclear-waste-facility-on-u-s-border :icon_study:

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Environment Board/ Radiation- it's not just for Japanese anymore
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 08:09:11 AM »
Remember That Nuclear Dump Site That 'Was Never Supposed to Leak'?

Nation's only underground nuclear waste storage site, located in New Mexico, believed to be leaking radiation into air--

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

Waste Isolation Pilot Plant pictured December 2004 (Photo: Wikimedia / Creative Commons)

A leak at the only underground nuclear waste dump in the United States is now believed to be releasing radiation into the air, the US Department of Energy (DOE) announced Monday, sparking alarm among residents near the southeastern New Mexico site.

"There's been radioactivity from nuclear waste released on the surface into the environment," said Don Hancock, Director of the Nuclear Waste Program at the Southwest Research and Information Center, in an interview with Common Dreams. "This was never supposed to happen. That's a very serious thing. We don't know yet what caused this release, or how much has been released."

Samples taken near the federally-run Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP), 25 miles east of the town of Carlsbad, showed "slightly elevated levels of airborne radioactive concentrations, which are consistent with the waste disposed," according to the DOE.

"There is an awful lot more that should be known before we can assess the risk. The DOE has a long history of playing keep-away with the facts and promoting nuclear power."
—Arnie Gundersen, nuclear expert

WIPP holds plutonium-contaminated military waste, generated by nuclear weapons production across the United States, including Los Alamos National Laboratory in northern New Mexico. The waste is stored deep beneath the earth's surface in salt formations.

New Mexico Environment Secretary Ryan Flynn stated last week, “Events like this simply should never occur. From the state’s perspective, one event is far too many.”

Residents have long complained that WIPP, as well as nuclear waste transport across the state, puts local communities at risk, including the Native American reservations, school districts, and highways the waste passes through en route to the repository. Tewa Women United, an indigenous organization based in northern New Mexico, slams the "negative impacts that pollution and nuclear contamination have on our bodies, minds, spirits, lands, air and water" in a statement on their website.

The revelation of airborne radiation comes one week after the DOE announced detection of what they said was likely was an underground radiation leak at the facility — a leak that was later confirmed. Radioactive shipments to WIPP have been halted since February 5th when a vehicle caught on fire underground, forcing the evacuation of the facility.

In their statement released Monday, the DOE sought to downplay the danger from airborne radiation, claiming that the "concentrations remain well below a level of public or environmental hazard" with a "potential dose of less than one millirem." They compared this to the typical chest x-ray, in which the patient is exposed to approximately 10 millirems.

Yet, Arnie Gundersen, former nuclear industry executive turned whistleblower, told Common Dreams that this comparison doesn't work. "The difference is that the x-ray is broadly distributed externally over a large piece of mass. On the other hand, the radioactivity in the air is in a particular form that can deposit in your lung. Radioactive material is attracted to your lung tissue. What you breathe in does not come out. This comparison does not take into account the internal exposure these people receive."

"Very serious... unfortunate, but it is what it is."
—DOE Field Office Manager

Approximately 300 concerned Carlsbad residents crowded into a public meeting Monday night to demand answers from WIPP officials.

"I'm just a mom," said Anna Hovrud, according to the Associated Press. "[A]nd my first reaction was to start praying. [...] Is there a chance we could be exposed to radiation, that we are being poisoned somehow, while we are waiting for these samples?"

The situation is "very serious" and "unfortunate," acknowledged Department of Energy Carlsbad Field Office Manager Joe Franco at the meeting, according to the Carlsbad Current-Argus. "But it is what it is," he added.

Yet, some attendees expressed doubt about the DOE's transparency. "I feel like they are not telling us everything," said area resident Leah Hunt, according to the AP.

Gundersen concurs. "The DOE is giving us one tenth of a percent of the information they really know," he said. "In fact there is an awful lot more that should be known before we can assess the risk. The DOE has a long history of playing keep-away with the facts and promoting nuclear power."

The DOE did not immediately respond to a request for an interview.

[But hell, it is what it is, right? Right?? --S.]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:17:24 AM by Surly1 »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Environment Board
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 08:22:06 AM »
What it is..is poison. Glenn Seaborg, the co-discoverer of plutonium once called it "the most fiendishly toxic substance known to man", if my memory serves me.

from Nuclear-Net.org ----Plutonium is a manmade element created in nuclear reactors. Plutonium is fiendishly toxic. A speck of it the size of a pollen grain, if caught in the lungs after inhalation or in bone after ingestion, can cause cancer.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 10:32:36 AM »
What it is..is poison. Glenn Seaborg, the co-discoverer of plutonium once called it "the most fiendishly toxic substance known to man", if my memory serves me.

from Nuclear-Net.org ----Plutonium is a manmade element created in nuclear reactors. Plutonium is fiendishly toxic. A speck of it the size of a pollen grain, if caught in the lungs after inhalation or in bone after ingestion, can cause cancer.

I keep reading these things and the image that obtains is Christopher Walken in the Deer Hunter playing Russian roulette. That's us and nuclear power. We keep spinning the chamber, convinced our luck will hold-- because it always has.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OuGSXflBoWU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OuGSXflBoWU</a>
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 09:41:36 AM »
Today's Santa Fe New Mexican carried an article on the WIPP plutonium leak and human exposures. The original article is a New York Times piece. Below I quote from the article and comment in the Comments section following the New Mexican article online.

"Sensors in the salt mine detected a leak at about 11:30 p.m. Feb. 14. At that hour, no one was in the mine, and automatic systems reduced the ventilation and ran the exhaust through high efficiency particulate filters, officials said, minimizing the flow of materials to the surface."

Sensors detected the leak when the "mine" was empty of workers, and these sensors triggered an automated response in ventilation and exhaust -- BUT DID NOT WARN WORKERS when they arrived on the surface, where the ventilation system ventilates to? This is outragious! Why were there no automatic gate shuttings, no automated flashing red lights or alarms? How could the designers of such automated systems not consider the workers and their need to be informed of what the sensors had detected? And how could the journalists reporting on this leave out this obvious failure? The article says nothing about this salient failure on the WIPP site! What gives?

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/health-risks-unclear-after-leak-at-nuclear-waste-site/article_b8c0d511-0af4-50ff-aa3b-4ad38794ecec.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:43:54 AM by JRM »
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 10:29:47 AM »
My guess is that there were or are alarms designed into the system, and that they might have been disabled by employees themselves because they gave false alarms or that they were just turned off by someone who had a false sense of security because the facility had a long track record of no problems.

In other words, the Homer Simpson Effect.

This is just pure surmisal on my part of course, but wait and see. I'd bet a pound of enriched uranium it turns out to be human error.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
As far as I can tell, the only two logical possibilities are

a) there was no such alarm system
b) there was such an alarm system

If (a) there appears to be gross negligence, since censors automatically triggered the ventilation system -- and could have warned workers.

If (b), either...

1. there was an unintentional technological glitch or failure
2. the system was intentionally disabled or turned off
3. ???

Since we're speculating without knowledge, and guessing...

My guess is that no such worker alarm was installed, though it could and should have been. 

We'll see.

That the article made no mention of this whole line of inquiry is telling about the state of "journalism" these days. When I learned how to write newspaper articles, in a college journalism course, we learned that the most BASIC JOB a journalist has is to anticipate the likely questions of the readers and to address these in the article.  I cannot tell you how many times I've seen this basic insight about news writing be neglected. >sigh<

My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »
Some goofball posted a blog entry with ...

"Radioactive Plutonium Plume Coming Out of New Mexico’s WIPP – Geological Nuclear Radioactive Waste Isolation Pilot Plant"

http://theresistanceunited.com/2014/02/23/radioactive-plutonium-plume-coming-out-of-new-mexicos-wipp-geological-nuclear-radioactive-waste-isolation-pilot-plant/

As evidence for this claim, the blogger links to a PDF file which said blogger must not have read--or understood. The "plume" in question is deep under ground, not above the WIPP site in the atmosphere, as implied.

This "plume" story is being reblogged all over the internet, of course.

If bloggers are to improve upon the piss poor journalistic standards of the Big News sources (like the aforementioned New York Times) they are going to have to learn what "fact checking" means. It would also help if they would learn how to read PDF files.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 07:06:59 PM »
The situation is "very serious" and "unfortunate," acknowledged Department of Energy Carlsbad Field Office Manager Joe Franco at the meeting, according to the Carlsbad Current-Argus. "But it is what it is," he added.

Stuff that fucker down the hole!  :angry4:

WHD

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 07:19:03 PM »
Radioactive particulate in the air from gov junk shop:

The situation is "very serious" and "unfortunate," acknowledged Department of Energy Carlsbad Field Office Manager Joe Franco J6P/Illuminati Minion at the meeting, according to the Newz. "But it is what it is," he added.

Benzene/assorted carcinogens in the water:

The situation is "very serious" and "unfortunate," acknowledged Department of Energy Carlsbad Field Office Manager Joe Franco J6P/Illuminati Minion at the meeting, according to the Newz. "But it is what it is," he added.

Fukushima:

Extinction of the Monarch butterfly:

Mass Extinction:

Human extinction:

WHD  :'(

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:23:52 PM by WHD »

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
That's what we get, for calling it, "the environment." What an empty scientific/materialist phrase. A god-damned sensor deprivation torture cell is THE god-damned environment if you've been stuffed there. The biosphere? The earth, of which we are an integral part, and entirely, physically dependent upon? We mirror what we do to the earth. Eternal poison as a legacy. What genius!

What was that, Hannah Arendt noticed about the typical Nazi? Their banality. They were exceptional in their normality, functional in a systematic terror.

WHD

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Published on Feb 27, 2015

Millions of tons of plastic waste get dumped into our oceans annually and with Indonesia's infamous contribution to this, citizens there are trying to remedy the problem. CCTV's Andy Saputra filed this report from Jakarta, Indonesia.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KXf6PHzqOcc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KXf6PHzqOcc&fs=1</a>

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Environment Board - China's Toxic Truth Goes Viral
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EJ180pMPlMQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EJ180pMPlMQ&fs=1</a>

Published on Mar 6, 2015

Pollution in China has gone viral with a documentary highlighting the problems caused by major industries. But awareness may not be enough to clean up dirty producers.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
No More Public Lands For You!
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 05:25:45 AM »
Happy Fourth. And be sure to thank your local Koch brothers tool.

Koch-Backed Group Calls For No More National Parks

Koch-Backed Group Calls For No More National Parks

POSTED ON JULY 3, 2015 AT 9:30 AM

CREDIT: SHUTTERSTOCK

Just in time for the Fourth of July — when millions of people across the country will visit America’s national parks and other public lands — the Koch brothers are rolling out their latest campaign against these treasured places: pushing for no more national parks.

In an op-ed published in Tuesday’s New York Times, Reed Watson, the executive director at theKoch-backed Property and Environment Research Center (PERC), along with a research associate at the Center, call for no more national parks, citing the backlog in maintenance for existing parks.

“True conservation is taking care of the land and water you already have, not insatiably acquiring more and hoping it manages itself,” the op-ed reads. “Let’s maintain what we’ve already got, so we can protect it properly,” it concludes.

While the authors seem to push for “true conservation” from the federal government, in reality, PERC has a long history of advocating for the privatization of America’s national parks and other public lands, and has significant ties to the Koch brothers and fossil fuel industries.

PERC, which labels itself as “a property rights and environmental organization,” has received significant contributions from Koch-backed organizations, including from Donors Trust, which has been called the “dark-money ATM of the right.” Additionally, Watson, the lead author of the op-ed and current PERC Executive Director, previously worked at the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, and in a 2009 op-ed criticized a number of bipartisan bills to protect wilderness, arguing that “land management agencies [should] turn a profit” by removing restrictions on timber and energy development.

In addition to arguing for no new national parks, PERC’s op-ed also calls for an end to one of America’s best parks programs, the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). LWCF is a budget-neutral program that uses funds from offshore oil and gas development fees to fund federal, state and local outdoor projects across the country. The program has been used to support some of America’s most iconic national parks, including the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, and has helped create tens of thousands of outdoor projects such as local parks and baseball diamonds in all 50 states.

Members of Congress from both parties have called for full funding and reauthorization of the LWCF before it expires permanently on September 30. However, PERC and a select few Republican leaders in Congress are instead advocating for diverting the funds to cover maintenance costs, despite continuing to cut the National Park Service’s budget.

PERC and its oil and gas allies have also ramped up involvement in an extreme right wing campaign to give control of America’s public lands to the states and sell them off to the highest bidder. In March, PERC released a study that claimed to provide economic evidence to support the transfer of national public lands to state control. The study was widely cited in a series of nearly identical op-eds written by a front group for the oil and gas-backed public relations firm of Richard Berman, nicknamed “Dr. Evil” by consumer-protection and organizations he has targeted.

However, an analysis by the Center for Western Priorities (CWP) shows that PERC’s economic analysis is “flawed,” ignoring billions of dollars spent every year fighting wildfires and “fail[ing] to account for the multiple values provided by national public lands,” beyond drilling, mining, and logging. The study’s “glaring flaws would suggest that the authors designed a study to specifically support the organization’s ideology, which prioritizes extractive industries, reduces public access through privatization, and ignores the benefits of balanced land management,” CWP wrote in April.

CWP also cites two recent studies in its analysis from economists in Utah and Idaho showing that states would not be able to afford to manage lands if they were transferred to state control. In addition to the serious economic concerns they raise for state budgets, these proposals to transfer America’s public lands to the states and sell them off to private interests are unpopularwith Western voters, and most importantly, unconstitutional.

Despite these concerns, PERC and its oil and gas allies in Congress have continued to ramp up efforts to seize and sell off America’s public lands and push an overall “No More National Parks” campaign. While these highly partisan and divisive attacks on the environment have taken priority in Congress, the conservation efforts supported by both parties, such as the reauthorization of the LWCF, are at risk of being left behind. Congress will have less than 100 days to act and reauthorize LWCF when it returns from recess next week.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Environment Board -- No More Public Land
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 08:59:35 AM »
I suppose it would be wrong to wish pray for their Gulfstream to fall out of the sky some day soon with both of their miserable asses aboard....

How do people get so twisted? Their mother must have beaten them with a coat hanger or something.