AuthorTopic: Canadian Prepper: Perspectives from the Great White North  (Read 2773 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Canadian Prepper: Perspectives from the Great White North
« on: December 17, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »

after-collapse-canadian-preppergc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner on December 17, 2015

http://truthstreammedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/assholes-in-charge.jpg

Discuss this Interview at the Podcast Table inside the Diner

A few weeks ago I ran into a series of videos created by Canadian Prepper, "After the Collapse" for his You Tube channel, which as the name suggest is more oriented towards Prepping than analysis of Collapse Dyamics.  However, he crosses over to this area just as we  cross over into discussions of Prepping, on what CP calls the "Macro" scale.  The macro scale is for people concerned with how society itself will reform in the aftermath of collapse and how to prepare for that, not just physically but psychologically also.

In Part 1 of our Podcast, we discuss how CP got into prepping, when his "wake-up call" regarding collapse arrived and why he chose the Video You Tube means as opposed to become a Blogger, among other things.

Although he still considers himself an "Amateur", the production on his videos is extremely well done with a lot of eye catching video clips and well chosen music soundtracks to give it audio punch.

We look forward to further collaborations with CP and invite his You Tube followers to come in for a Collapse Meal at the Diner any time.  We are open 24/7 with the best Doom Discussion anywhere on the net.  Just remember to wear your Flameproof BVDs. :)

Now, onto Part 1 of the Podcast…

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Bill Sodomsky

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Prepper: Perspectives from the Great White North
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »
Well it was comforting to listen to a fellow Canadian discuss his evolution into the world of Doom and Prep. Particularly heartening because he's from the center of Canada where I'm originally from. I thought your line questioning was spot on RE and CP's responses were measured, logical and intelligent. I have personally made a number of adjustments since 2010 when reality nailed me between the eyeballs. The part of this process that seems the most difficult to deal with is the attitude and responses you get from those who knew you when your behavior was more conventional. Maybe you address this with him in Part 2. I'd be quite interested in his response.

In my case, I was a high flying financial guy travelling the country making deals. Today, I live in a secluded wooded area surrounded by the best farmland in Canada. I pick up the odd job in the area (all of a very physical nature), train hard at the gym, read as much quality Doom related materials as I possibly can as well as other topics, walk my dogs, watch movies with my wife and hope one day to be validated by my choice to check out of the conventional wasteland of modern commercial society.

I'm interested to know how other "Doomers" deal with the choices they have made in regards to preparing from what may be ahead.   

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »
Well it was comforting to listen to a fellow Canadian discuss his evolution into the world of Doom and Prep. Particularly heartening because he's from the center of Canada where I'm originally from. I thought your line questioning was spot on RE and CP's responses were measured, logical and intelligent. I have personally made a number of adjustments since 2010 when reality nailed me between the eyeballs. The part of this process that seems the most difficult to deal with is the attitude and responses you get from those who knew you when your behavior was more conventional. Maybe you address this with him in Part 2. I'd be quite interested in his response.

In my case, I was a high flying financial guy travelling the country making deals. Today, I live in a secluded wooded area surrounded by the best farmland in Canada. I pick up the odd job in the area (all of a very physical nature), train hard at the gym, read as much quality Doom related materials as I possibly can as well as other topics, walk my dogs, watch movies with my wife and hope one day to be validated by my choice to check out of the conventional wasteland of modern commercial society.

I'm interested to know how other "Doomers" deal with the choices they have made in regards to preparing from what may be ahead.

Most of the crew here that posts up are leading BAU lives while doing some prepping.  Eddie has a Doomstead an hour or so outside of Austin which he is gradually building up for TSHTF Day, but lives most of the time in town where he works as a dentist.  UB moved to Tasmania and lives on his Doomstead most of the time, but still travels around doing his work as a Shrink.  I live in Alaska in a relatively low population zone (the Mat-Su Valley), I have a lot of Preps but I live a BAU life buying food at the store and driving around periodically in my SUV for some errand or another.  I have a "Bugout Machine" for emergency purposes like say an earthquake or wildfire took out my regular digs, but I'm not fit anymore to be living out in the bush hunting and fishing for food, so it's just a temporary fix and I depend on some kind of reorganization occuring here if/when the Dollar collapses and regular trade stops.  Absent that, my plan is to die happy that I got to see the crash before buying my ticket to the Great Beyond.   :icon_sunny:

Our most prepped Diner who doesn't participate anymore is Peter, who lives in Ocean Falls BC, grows his food hydroponically and fishes and crabs for his food supply.  The community is very isolated with only around 23 people still living there and no roads in or out.  The only access is by a ferry that comes once a week with supplies.  He tools around the town in an EV Polaris Ranger.  The town stays semi-operational only because it has a Hydro Plant which supplies power to a couple of other communities, including Bella Bella where around 7000 people live, doing fishing mostly.

There is one other project we have as a group, the SUN  :icon_sunny: Foundation, which is a 501c3 non-profit for building Sustainable Communities.  SUN stands for Sustaining Universal Needs.  However, so far we haven't moved along with this too much.  LD & GM are now working on a rewrite of our Prospectus so maybe we will get re-energized from that.

We have some other mainly lurkers who live on Doomsteads, but the number of regular chatters here is small, maybe 20 people or so post up semi-regularly.  It's a small but relatively congenial group, although we bicker plenty too.  lol.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
Hi Bill, I'm one of the diner senior citizens. At that stage where I'm just trying my best to stay out of my pine box as long as possible.

Would take the path you have taken if a younger man, still have thoughts of moving to a very small town somewhere in Northern Maine which I just love.

Have the usual short term prepper stuff in my garage, canned fish, pasta, beans, bottled water and such, but it is just short term stuff that would keep me going a few months in a Lite Doom Event.

When you become a senior, you have to remain fairly close to a drug store, doctor, hospital and such, unless your a truly rugged and healthy self sufficient person like our Peter. Have suggested to Peter he write a book about his life, he is a true self sustaining Icon and his life story would no doubt become a Prepper Classic.

You write in a very warm personable style Bill and it is a pleasure to welcome you to the Diner.  Golden Oxen