AuthorTopic: Anybody ever reach out to knarf?  (Read 13470 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Anybody ever reach out to knarf?
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »
I see he hasn't logged on since October. I wish I knew he was okay. I wonder if a PM will pop up in his regular email?  Depends on his settings, I guess.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody ever reach out to knarf?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »
I see he hasn't logged on since October. I wish I knew he was okay. I wonder if a PM will pop up in his regular email?  Depends on his settings, I guess.

I did a couple of times, but I believe reading about what was going on in the outside world was disturbing him too much.  He wanted to focus on teaching the other Monks and staying at peace inside his world.

You can get his email from the member file.  You're an admin.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:23:02 AM »
I PMed him about his "Knights of the Round Table" idea. I told him that I didn't believe in horoscopes, which is what he wanted to do, but I said I wanted to meet Merlin and gave him my birthday. I hope he gets back. I didn't know he was a monk.
Gotta go with the wrench. Because fuck you.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 11:47:32 AM »
Knarf went walkabout before for several months and then came back and posted a lot for several months....but toward the end of the election cycle he let it go. I expect because he was either too busy, too bummed, or possibly not in the best health.

He doesn't share much about his personal status. He got frustrated with his idea of doing Diner horoscopes, I think.

He is missed.

In the real world he is the Abbott of a small group of Buddhist monks who live in semi-seclusion on a little rural property....in Missouri, if I remember correctly.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »
I'd like to talk to him. Can someone send him an e-mail? I'm something of an "enlightenment" seeker. People like Krishnamurti, for example, make perfect sense to me, but he's not someone I can admire too much because I get the impression he shot himself so far out of The Matrix that he could only talk at people and not with them.

If it helps, you can tell him that I think I've killed Buddha a few times, or at least injured him, and I'll spend the rest of my life hunting him down.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 04:35:18 PM »
Knarf went walkabout before for several months and then came back and posted a lot for several months....but toward the end of the election cycle he let it go. I expect because he was either too busy, too bummed, or possibly not in the best health.

He doesn't share much about his personal status. He got frustrated with his idea of doing Diner horoscopes, I think.

He is missed.

In the real world he is the Abbott of a small group of Buddhist monks who live in semi-seclusion on a little rural property....in Missouri, if I remember correctly.

It's Arkansas I believe.

I sent him an email a month or so ago, no response.  I'll try again.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 04:44:04 PM »
I'm something of an "enlightenment" seeker. People like Krishnamurti, for example, 

http://www.genekeys.com/

Here ya' go. Good luck...  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 07:15:44 PM »
I'm something of an "enlightenment" seeker. People like Krishnamurti, for example, make perfect sense to me, but he's not someone I can admire too much because I get the impression he shot himself so far out of The Matrix that he could only talk at people and not with them.

If you only seek the light, you're missing out on half....

Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:20 PM »
I'm something of an "enlightenment" seeker. People like Krishnamurti, for example, make perfect sense to me, but he's not someone I can admire too much because I get the impression he shot himself so far out of The Matrix that he could only talk at people and not with them.

If you think light and dark exist then thermodynamics would like to have a word with your brain. I said "enlightenment". That doesn't mean light, nor a balance of light and dark. It means seeing without seeing. And most people could never handle this. It's not peaceful - it sits on the precipice of conception of absolute nothingness and seeing the Universe's asymptotic approach toward such without any judgement whatsoever, though it's hard for appreciation and awe to not sneak in, but those are corrupting of course.

The logic of this species' trouble is so horribly, painfully clear. Why it destroys itself is completely obvious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman

A few of us understand what really protects this coward fucking species. Perhaps not Tillman, but at least he had the courage to fight in blindness. Anything less is the cowardice of fairy tales.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »

If you think light and dark exist then thermodynamics would like to have a word with your brain. I said "enlightenment". That doesn't mean light, nor a balance of light and dark. It means seeing without seeing. And most people could never handle this. It's not peaceful - it sits on the precipice of conception of absolute nothingness and seeing the Universe's asymptotic approach toward such without any judgement whatsoever, though it's hard for appreciation and awe to not sneak in, but those are corrupting of course.

The logic of this species' trouble is so horribly, painfully clear. Why it destroys itself is completely obvious.

A few of us understand what really protects this coward fucking species. Perhaps not Tillman, but at least he had the courage to fight in blindness. Anything less is the cowardice of fairy tales.

As you can see Diners, CW has a serious Nihilist bent.  You gotta be patient with him on this.  lol.  It took me a while just to calm him down enough to post up here.  He's a good poster and smart guy, despite being consumed with death and destruction.  Trying to lighten him up is a real challenge!  :icon_sunny:

Far as the Yin-Yang symbol goes, can we maybe add a Gray Area on this?  Otherwise, IMHO Diners are at the Center, the "Wu Ji" or Still Point on the diagram.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »
I'm something of an "enlightenment" seeker. People like Krishnamurti, for example, 

http://www.genekeys.com/

Here ya' go. Good luck...  :icon_sunny:

I already knew our species was batshit insane and forever ontologically ignorant, but thank you. I just needed to determine if these were "troll forums". I collect information you see. I wonder why jiggling clumps of subatomic particles give rise to the most gloriously complex delusions. It took almost 14 billion years worth of energy for the universe to "wake up" as far as we know, and apparently the first thing it did was permanently blind itself. I can only conclude that we we might be living in a "retarded" universe. Think about the multiverse (which seems like a reasonable conjecture).

I bet that in some of these universes there's a tendency for life to arise that isn't hopelessly self-blinding. Those are the universes I would have chosen to belong to. Not this one.

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »

As you can see Diners, CW has a serious Nihilist bent.  You gotta be patient with him on this.  lol.  It took me a while just to calm him down enough to post up here.  He's a good poster and smart guy, despite being consumed with death and destruction.  Trying to lighten him up is a real challenge!  :icon_sunny:

Far as the Yin-Yang symbol goes, can we maybe add a Gray Area on this?  Otherwise, IMHO Diners are at the Center, the "Wu Ji" or Still Point on the diagram.

RE

More than 99% of species that have ever existed are gone, and this percentage will only approach 100%. This is a trivial observation. Now, why is this the case? The answer is embodied in human self-destructive behavior. The machinery of that slaughter in encoded in our DNA.

Anything explicitly "nihilist" about these observations for starters? We better take this slow. Taking apart the human mind should be done with artistry, and I'm an artist.

Also - I want to see what you got. Send your best minds. Anything less will be boring, and it will probably still be trivial and boring.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »

More than 99% of species that have ever existed are gone, and this percentage will only approach 100%. This is a trivial observation. Now, why is this the case? The answer is embodied in human self-destructive behavior. The machinery of that slaughter in encoded in our DNA.

You want trivial and obvious observations?  ???   :icon_scratch:  You just made one.

OBVIOUSLYHomo Sap will self -destruct, ALL life forms self destruct!  EVERY life form goes extinct at some point, even on a still functioning planet for raising eukaryotic life forms!

Get the fuck OVER it!  Everything on this planet is destined to DIE and always has been!  It's just not that big a fucking deal!  I will die, you will die, Polar Bears will die and so will the fucking crustaceans!  At the very MOST, with a perfect situation and set of circumstances, it MIGHT last 300M years more, but that is unlikely.

The deal while you ARE still alive is to STAY ALIVE!  You can't do that if you are nihilistic and defeatist.  Nihilists and defeatists are not only boring, they are seriously unpleasant to be around! I spent a good couple of years chatting up these assholes on NBL.  Talk about a waste of fucking time!  lol.

RE
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:24:55 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »

You want trivial and obvious observations?  ???   :icon_scratch:  You just made one.

OBVIOUSLYHomo Sap will self -destruct, ALL life forms self destruct!  EVERY life form goes extinct at some point, even on a still functioning planet for raising eukaryotic life forms!

Get the fuck OVER it!  Everything on this planet is destined to DIE and always has been!  It's just not that big a fucking deal!  I will die, you will die, Polar Bears will die and so will the fucking crustaceans!  At the very MOST, with a perfect situation and set of circumstances, it MIGHT last 300M years more, but that is unlikely.

The deal while you ARE still alive is to STAY ALIVE!  You can't do that if you are nihilistic and defeatist.  Nihilists and defeatists are not only boring, they are seriously unpleasant to be around! I spent a good couple of years chatting up these assholes on NBL.  Talk about a waste of fucking time!  lol.

RE

I've given up on humans. Not the Universe (or at least the Multiverse). Huge difference. As has been noted (Cormac McCarthy play), the reason there are millions of planets (lot more actually) is because some species lay millions of eggs (or some such). Guess what kind of egg we are? The kind that doesn't hatch.

You're the one who can't get over "nihilism", which is just a word. Would you like living in a house with psychopaths your whole life? Would you say the point in such a situation is to "stay alive" so you can fuck and look out the window at a pretty tree and raise kids to live alongside the psychopaths? You people are out of your fucking minds.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 01:17:37 AM »

I've given up on humans.

No you haven't.  If you had given up on humans you would have given up on yourself, since you are human.  If you are alive, you haven't given up on yourself.  You're clearly alive, since you are keyboarding to me over the internet.Far as I know, there are no ISPs serving customers in the Great Beyond.

Would you say the point in such a situation is to "stay alive" so you can fuck and look out the window at a pretty tree and raise kids to live alongside the psychopaths? You people are out of your fucking minds.

While the planet is clearly loaded with psychopaths and imbeciles, it's not 100%.  I've found a few good people over the years, mostly here on the Diner  My hypothesis is that die off will selectively eliminate psychopaths and imbeciles, leaving standing only Diners.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN