AuthorTopic: Summer in the tropical rainforest  (Read 15399 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Summer in the tropical rainforest
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
We could however applaud RE adopting some form of van living.

I would be quite happy to be living in a Covered Wagon pulled by a couple of Oxen.

Currently however, this is an impractical option.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
Well then, as long as this action is defined as Protecting & Defending your Loved Ones, then that is a MORAL (as in GOOD, RIGHT, JUSTIFIED, etc.  :icon_sunny:) action, is it not?

Yes it is, and that is the whole POINT of the argument I have been having with Palloy.

Look, nobody would argue that you can live with Spiders or Wasps infesting your digs.  Or pathogenic bacteria either.  These creatures are all dangerous to your existence and that of your loved ones.  So you call in the exterminator if you have a problem with infestation, and you wipe down your surfaces with ammonia to KILL the bacteria.  All of these creatures are incompatible to live with in your space.

You can't live with Wolves, Lions or Pythons in your space either.  They are equally if not more dangerous to you and you loved ones or food sources than the Spiders and Wasps are.

The reason I think people get all bent out of shape out of killing "Top Predators" is an aesthetic one, they are big and beautiful creatures.  But the same people have no issues with exterminating Spiders.  Neither one is compatible to live with in your space.  One of you has got to go.

RE

True.  :emthup: :icon_sunny:
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
If we are in danger from wolves, lions, tigers and pythons, then we are hardly top predators.  So how are we to live then? - by respecting them, not fearing them.

Tourists often go swimming in crocodile-infested rivers at night. Sometimes they don't come out.  Locals immediately think Darwin Awards.  Are we supposed to kill all the crocodiles?  Chickens have an alarm call  for hawks to warn the rest of their loved ones, and the hens run for cover under the trees, and call their chicks to come close, while the males rush into the open and keep watch. Unfortunately, the slightest thing can trigger an alarm, even a butterfly, so the flock is never completely settled, and the dog which is probably a bit bored with the quiet life in the forest is always listening out for alarms and is eager to rush outside and protect the flock by charging into it and barking especially if I do too.  Great fun.

I have lost quite a few cats while living in the forest, mostly they go out at night and just disappear.  One was definitely taken by a python, which died when it tried to go through my dog fence and the bulge got stuck. I saw one kitten be snatched off the doorstep by a python coming up from beneath the decking. I hit the python with a stick and it released it and the kitten survived. I have also saved several chickens that way.  But don't underestimate pythons - the big ones cannot have their heads chopped off with one stroke (I know you will argue with this, but it is true).  What's more, chopping their heads off doesn't stop them wriggling about. My snake-catching device consists of a metre length of tubing with a loop of rope passing through it (pythons have well-defined necks).  If they can they will throw coils around the tube and then on up your arm, at which point it is a good idea to drop the tube. They will then sprint away into the forest dragging the tube along with them. They can instantly disappear in piles of dry Pandanus leaves or can climb trees straight up. One even climbed my window frame, pinching the edge of a divider and supporting its whole body weight.  Fallen trees bring up a clod of topsoil with their roots, leaving a sheltered dip with odd side-passages. Hollow logs can hide all sorts of things.  Pythons know all these places.  But if you want a python-free life, just don't keep chickens or cats or anything that is python food.

"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
If we are in danger from wolves, lions, tigers and pythons, then we are hardly top predators.

We are not in terrific danger from Pythons, our Dogs, Cats, Chooks and small kids are.

On a big enough Python, yea you probably can't pull it off in one chop with a Machete unless you are Arnold Schwartenegger and/or highly proficient with the blade.  There are a few ISIS fighters I think could pull it off.  The thickness of a large Python is not a lot different than the thickness of a Human Neck.

You or me would need the help of POWER TOOLS to do this job in one swipe

This rechargeable Ryobi should handle the job.

Without the head, the Python will wriggle a while, but it will lose the ability to constrict quickly.  Then you can unwrap it.  That's how the firefighters got the Boa off that Ohio snake loving bimbo Darwin Award candidate in the story I put up yesterday.

More to the point though, said Python won't be able to come back tomorrow for another try at making Kitty a meal.

You appear to care a lot about the lives of Pythons, but little about the lives of your Dogs, Cats and Chooks.  "Oh yea, I've lost a few cats to Pythons, I just get a new one."

You bring these animals onto your property, and then you don't Protect & Defend them from the predators also slithering around that want to KILL & EAT them.  The life of a Python is worth more than the life of your Kitten?

Your position is completely insupportable PY.  Even AG who LOVES animals agrees it is morally correct to protect your loved ones.  Even Knarf who is a Buddhist Monk kills the Black Snakes he finds wandering around his Monastery.  You can't share your living space with Predators that are out to get you.

RE
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:15:48 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2017, 11:06:59 PM »
I hadn't seen that PlasmaticX before. A standard USB port is 5V and max. 500 mA, so 2.5W. The battery charges in one hour, so holds max. 2.5 W.h . And it can give 100+ lights which perhaps last 1 second each.  So is 0.025 W.h enough to create a plasma arc (spark) for 1 second, or is there some snake-oil salesmanship going on here?  I had a RONSON lighter with a piezoelectric spark, till it jammed and stopped working) that looks like the same effort on the button.  Having paid $70 for it, you are well and truly snake-oiled. I note the website says you can sign up for the Lost Lighter Recovery Plan for $10 at time of purchase - covers replacement of your lighter is you lose it within 60 - 365 days of your purchase, postage extra. To me that sounds like its worth $10. I don't reckon it would light a wet leaf. -  Convince me otherwise in your next video, and I will BUY one (no, I won't).

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2017, 11:22:04 PM »
I hadn't seen that PlasmaticX before. A standard USB port is 5V and max. 500 mA, so 2.5W. The battery charges in one hour, so holds max. 2.5 W.h . And it can give 100+ lights which perhaps last 1 second each.  So is 0.025 W.h enough to create a plasma arc (spark) for 1 second, or is there some snake-oil salesmanship going on here?  I had a RONSON lighter with a piezoelectric spark, till it jammed and stopped working) that looks like the same effort on the button.  Having paid $70 for it, you are well and truly snake-oiled. I note the website says you can sign up for the Lost Lighter Recovery Plan for $10 at time of purchase - covers replacement of your lighter is you lose it within 60 - 365 days of your purchase, postage extra. To me that sounds like its worth $10. I don't reckon it would light a wet leaf. -  Convince me otherwise in your next video, and I will BUY one (no, I won't).

It's a bit of a gimmick, but it is very cool.  8)  You would be much better off though just buying 70 regular Bic Lighters as a firemaking prep, or 9V Batts and steel wool.  The Butane Torches aren't necessary for firemaking, but you can solder with them also.

In practice, I don't get 100 lights from a charge, more like 20-30.  This because usually you keep it on for 2 or 3 seconds.  In terms of what it will light up, cancerettes obviously, paper or any tinder and kero or any liquid or gas fuel you have around.  Makes lighting up a propane torch a snap.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Summer in the tropical rainforest: Starting Electrical Fires
« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2017, 01:37:36 AM »

It's a bit of a gimmick, but it is very cool.  8)  You would be much better off though just buying 70 regular Bic Lighters as a firemaking prep, or 9V Batts and steel wool.  The Butane Torches aren't necessary for firemaking, but you can solder with them also.

In practice, I don't get 100 lights from a charge, more like 20-30.  This because usually you keep it on for 2 or 3 seconds.  In terms of what it will light up, cancerettes obviously, paper or any tinder and kero or any liquid or gas fuel you have around.  Makes lighting up a propane torch a snap.

RE

BTW, BY NO MEANS do you need a 9V Batt and steel wool to make a fire by shorting a Batt.  You can do this with any batt at all, from 1.5 volt AAA to a 12V Car Batt, and you don't need steel wool either, although it helps. 9V and steel wool is very good though because it is so portable and works in any weather at all.

With a 12V, just cross your wires from negative to positive.  Use thick wires or they will get too hot too fast and melt on you.  If you use this technique, BE CAREFUL!  The wires will get REALLY HOT REALLY FAST!  They will light up just about anything at all that is combustible.  This of course is how electrical fires get started.

I should have been an Arsonist. lol.

RE
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:45:38 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2017, 07:21:55 AM »
Even AG who LOVES animals agrees it is morally correct to protect your loved ones.

And you seriously think would persuade me?

Even Knarf who is a Buddhist Monk kills the Black Snakes he finds wandering around his Monastery.

Amerikan Buddhist.

Diners do seem to be a bunch of stupid assholes.
I think I'll go elsewhere.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 30, 2017, 08:37:31 AM »
Even AG who LOVES animals agrees it is morally correct to protect your loved ones.

And you seriously think would persuade me?

I had hopes.

Even Knarf who is a Buddhist Monk kills the Black Snakes he finds wandering around his Monastery.

Amerikan Buddhist.

Amerikan Buddhists aren't as good as other Buddhists?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 07, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
Summer's here again. Hot, humid and T-shirts off weather.  That brought out the goannas, hunting for eggs. About mid-day a hen that was sitting on some eggs let out an alarm call and flew away.  Kelly and me rushed out to see what it was, and she charged this big goanna (probably 5 foot overall), and caught it within ten feet, she had it by the tail but it thrashed about and got free and charged me. I levitated about 2 feet of the ground (an old trick us H-Gs  know). It ducked under the car so I grabbed my camera and when I got out again it was hiding under the wheel-barrow, with Kelly on the far side.  It was hissing and standing on tip-toes to make itself look bigger.   It could easily have gone up the tree.

https://vimeo.com/237255904

After the camera's memory ran out, it bolted for another tree and just made it with Kelly snapping at its tail.

No need to kill the local fauna. They were here first and I am not a top predator.

Being topmost predator seems to be what Amerikans are, or want to be, why else after that evil mass shooting is there a run on bump-stocks? Wow, I want to be able to do that too!  100 rounds per minute, punk, but responsibly.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 08, 2017, 12:38:58 AM »
Summer's here again. Hot, humid and T-shirts off weather.  That brought out the goannas, hunting for eggs. About mid-day a hen that was sitting on some eggs let out an alarm call and flew away.  Kelly and me rushed out to see what it was, and she charged this big goanna (probably 5 foot overall), and caught it within ten feet, she had it by the tail but it thrashed about and got free and charged me. I levitated about 2 feet of the ground (an old trick us H-Gs  know). It ducked under the car so I grabbed my camera and when I got out again it was hiding under the wheel-barrow, with Kelly on the far side.  It was hissing and standing on tip-toes to make itself look bigger.   It could easily have gone up the tree.

After the camera's memory ran out, it bolted for another tree and just made it with Kelly snapping at its tail.

No need to kill the local fauna. They were here first and I am not a top predator.

Being topmost predator seems to be what Amerikans are, or want to be, why else after that evil mass shooting is there a run on bump-stocks? Wow, I want to be able to do that too!  100 rounds per minute, punk, but responsibly.
Cool video!  You can embed Vimeo vids using the html tags.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 08, 2017, 07:46:16 AM »

Well done on the levitation. Nice video. I can't believe it's summer again already in the rainforest. It's very warm fall weather here, and drier than it should be, although the rains have finally started. Incremental climate change is very apparent to those of us who are paying attention to the land.

Gun control is coming at some point. It will be difficult to achieve, but it will be. It will begin with the courts, who will do a 180 on the 2nd Amendment, which any intelligent person can interpret as meaning that the right to bear arms was only intended as a way to allow citizens to mount a military defense. From there, it gets easier.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.