AuthorTopic: Herman Wouk Turns 100 Today  (Read 721 times)

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Herman Wouk Turns 100 Today
« on: January 14, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »
They had a story on NPR, which I heard on my evening commute. They mentioned that he was a writer for Fred Allen before the War, as in WWII.

They mostly hit the high points. The Pulitzer (Caine Mutiny) and his magnum opus,the two volume Winds of War/War and Remembrance.

They didn't mention my two favorites, which are Don't Stop the Carnival which is a masterpiece, and A Hole in Texas which is about the super-conducting supercollider that Bush Jr. killed when it was almost built. Funny book, that one, and written when he was in his 80's.

He just finished a memoir that is short, but probably good, if I had to guess. To me he's an inspiring man and a fantastic writer. Of his contemporaries, only Studs Terkel was in his class, imho, and of course he died some time back, in 2008, although he wrote great things in his old age too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Stop_the_Carnival_(novel)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:13:05 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Ka

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Herman Wouk Turns 100 Today
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
They had a story on NPR, which I heard on my evening commute. They mentioned that he was a writer for Fred Allen before the War, as in WWII.

They mostly hit the high points. The Pulitzer (Caine Mutiny) and his magnum opus,the two volume Winds of War/War and Remembrance.

They didn't mention my two favorites, which are Don't Stop the Carnival which is a masterpiece, and A Hole in Texas which is about the super-conducting supercollider that Bush Jr. killed when it was almost built. Funny book, that one, and written when he was in his 80's.

He just finished a memoir that is short, but probably good, if I had to guess. To me he's an inspiring man and a fantastic writer. Of his contemporaries, only Studs Terkel was in his class, imho, and of course he died some time back, in 2008, although he wrote great things in his old age too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Stop_the_Carnival_(novel)

My favorite is Inside,  Outside, which takes a lot of material from his Fred Allen years.

Correction: the SSC was cancelled in Oct. 1993, by Congress (Clinton signed the bill, but wanted it to keep going). Also, when cancelled 2 billion had been spent, out of a then projected 12 billion, so not "almost finished".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:55:34 AM by Eddie »

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Herman Wouk Turns 100 Today
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 03:57:16 AM »
Thank you for the correction. That's what I get for trusting my memory instead of checking facts.

Inside, Outside....I'll have to check it out.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.