AuthorTopic: Stealth Financial Repression  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Stealth Financial Repression
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:57:52 AM »
Very quietly, margin requirements have been changed. The take-away from this article, by my friend Dan, is that big investors (like maybe your pension fund) are being coerced into buying more Treasury bonds, which in the short term could add to the downward pressure in the equity markets...but long term, the move is  intended to allow the Fed to keep interest rates near zero for years, perhaps decades to come.

http://danielamerman.com/articles/2016/MarginsC.html
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth Financial Repression
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 08:27:11 AM »
...long term, the move is  intended to allow the Fed to keep interest rates near zero for years, perhaps decades to come.

The monetary system has an infinitesimally small probability of lasting for "decades to come".  If it makes it through this decade it will be a miracle.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:08:50 AM »
Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities

I'd give it to the mid 2030's at the least, and that might be premature. It will exist until it doesn't anymore. That's all anybody really knows.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »
Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities

I'd give it to the mid 2030's at the least, and that might be premature. It will exist until it doesn't anymore. That's all anybody really knows.

I'll take the over-under on that.  If the monetary system crashes before 2030, you owe me 10 cases of Sam Adams or 20 gallons out of your still.  If it makes it past 2030, I owe you 20 cases of [pick your beer] or 20 gallons from my still.  Hopefully we last that long.  If not, pay up when we meet again in the Great Beyond for an Eternity of "I told you sos".   :icon_mrgreen:

You have been smoking too much Hopium.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »

I'll take the over-under on that.  If the monetary system crashes before 2030, you owe me 10 cases of Sam Adams or 20 gallons out of your still.  If it makes it past 2030, I owe you 20 cases of [pick your beer] or 20 gallons from my still.  Hopefully we last that long.  If not, pay up when we meet again in the Great Beyond for an Eternity of "I told you sos".   :icon_mrgreen:

You have been smoking too much Hopium.

RE

I'm a lite doomer Eddie, but fifteen years for the current financial system seems a bit of a stretch.

My gut feeling is we are close to a breaking point and a major change, but of course the details escape me, so many variables. :icon_scratch:

This oil price crash has set too many things in motion for the currents system to survive unchanged in my view. From the debt problems it creates and the currency upheaval it has already created, the whole petro dollar system is imploding in my current view.

It's something I have thought hard and long hours about, but this Saudi Arabia idea of selling the crown jewel Aramco, after a major crash in the oil price also has me concerned.

The bullshit about them being broke and needing the dough is total nonsense IMO, they do not see the future in oil or price that MKing does in my humble opinion.

Think what you want of the Royal family, but shit heads they are not. The young ones advising the leaders are all Harvard, MIT grads which certainly doesn't make them wizards, but stupidity is not the trait one acquires in those schools.

They want out of the oil game now and a LOT of cash, something spooked them and I think it's the Harvard grad kids telling them to run for the hills.

Something big is out of whack, that Aramco dumping feeler was a clue for me that few see as such, but I think it's very important, actually I know it is but cannot prove it.  It makes No Sense to sell Aramco after oil falls from 150 to under 30 dollars a barrel.  :icon_scratch:  :dontknow:

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 04:37:12 AM »
his oil price crash has set too many things in motion for the currents system to survive unchanged in my view. From the debt problems it creates and the currency upheaval it has already created, the whole petro dollar system is imploding in my current view.

I think we have to define our terms a little better before I risk that much beer.

What I think is that there will still be a USD in 2030. It might not be worth as much gold or as many rubles or yuan as it is now. I don't doubt we might see some kind of reset, or that the banksters might not be able to coerce the Fearless Leader into some kind of de facto world currency...but in the US there will still be fiat and it will still be called the dollar.

If I'm wrong, none of us will be buying store-bought beer of any brand.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 05:11:12 AM »
his oil price crash has set too many things in motion for the currents system to survive unchanged in my view. From the debt problems it creates and the currency upheaval it has already created, the whole petro dollar system is imploding in my current view.

I think we have to define our terms a little better before I risk that much beer.

What I think is that there will still be a USD in 2030. It might not be worth as much gold or as many rubles or yuan as it is now. I don't doubt we might see some kind of reset, or that the banksters might not be able to coerce the Fearless Leader into some kind of de facto world currency...but in the US there will still be fiat and it will still be called the dollar.

My feeling is the dollar will be around as well Eddie, you are assuming the petro dollar system imploding is a forecast of the dollars demise by me. It is not, merely a loss in status and eventual loss of reserve currency status, much like the British Pound, which is still around.

While it seems absurd to most currently, My hope and belief is that the dollar will be again tied to Gold, as a means to stop the loss of it's status and purchasing power that I see in it's future, not by choice, but by necessity.

You incorrect IMO about the world and beer coming to end as well IMO if the dollar were to disappear, highly unlikely but a remote possibility.

Gold and silver will act quite well as money, since they are money, under a regime where fiat has been outlawed or vanishes.

Offline Ruralone

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 05:20:57 AM »

My feeling is the dollar will be around as well Eddie, you are assuming the petro dollar system imploding is a forecast of the dollars demise by me. It is not, merely a loss in status and eventual loss of reserve currency status, much like the British Pound, which is still around.

While it seems absurd to most currently, My hope and belief is that the dollar will be again tied to Gold, as a means to stop the loss of it's status and purchasing power that I see in it's future, not by choice, but by necessity.

You incorrect IMO about the world and beer coming to end as well IMO if the dollar were to disappear, highly unlikely but a remote possibility.

Gold and silver will act quite well as money, since they are money, under a regime where fiat has been outlawed or vanishes.

The value of PMs is contingent upon order.

When the distribution system fails, it will be what you can stuff in your gob that counts.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 06:02:20 AM »

No the value would persist. But it would be impossible to conduct BAU. Virtually no one has gold to use to buy anything. A gold-backed currency might be a possibility. I don't think it's out of the question entirely, but I'd give it a low probability.

When the distribution system fails, it will be what you can stuff in your gob that counts.

On that I agree entirely. If distribution fails we're in the Wild,Wild West. Craft beer only.

Offline Ruralone

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 06:08:57 AM »

No the value would persist. But it would be impossible to conduct BAU. Virtually no one has gold to use to buy anything. A gold-backed currency might be a possibility. I don't think it's out of the question entirely, but I'd give it a low probability.

The value would be restored with order.

QED

On that I agree entirely. If distribution fails we're in the Wild,Wild West. Craft beer only.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 06:39:48 AM »

QED

IMO both you gents will find the fiat system is what crearted the mayhem of which you speak possible already.

Eddie, I have explained to you before your getting gold and fiat backwards, you continue to do so.

Gentlemen, Gold and silver money represent stability, fiat credit bankster scrip represents mayhem.

All one need do is witness the financial world you currently exist in with open eyes.

1964 Kennedy Silver Half Dollar

Offline Ruralone

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 06:44:57 AM »

QED

IMO both you gents will find the fiat system is what crearted the mayhem of which you speak possible already.

Eddie, I have explained to you before your getting gold and fiat backwards, you continue to do so.

Gentlemen, Gold and silver money represent stability, fiat credit bankster scrip represents mayhem.

All one need do is witness the financial world you currently exist in with open eyes.

1964 Kennedy Silver Half Dollar

We need order GO.

It is not on the menu.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »
Gentlemen, Gold and silver money represent stability

Yes, the kind of stability they had around 1300 A.D.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 07:02:30 AM »
Gentlemen, Gold and silver money represent stability

Yes, the kind of stability they had around 1300 A.D.

Stick with your fiat Gentlemen, it suits you just fine, and your thought process.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »
It ain't MY fiat. I'm no lover of fiat.

I just object to TEOTWAWKI, which is what I expect when fiat goes to zero.