AuthorTopic: An Analysis of the FBI Video of the Road Block resulting in Lavoy Finicu  (Read 11274 times)

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Part 1) An Analysis of the FBI Video of the Road Block resulting in Lavoy Finicum's Death.

Peter Offermann
February 3, 2016
Email Author

This article will take a close look at some of the individual frames of the 26 minute video of this incident which was released by the FBI and OSP (Oregon State Police). It is hoped that this analysis will help clarify some of the issues surrounding this event.

The video supplied has a resolution of 720x480 pixel @ 24bits and has a frame rate of 30 frames per second.

The methodology used for the analysis was to play the video with VLC Media Player which has the ability to step through the video one frame at a time.  Each extracted frame becomes a 720x480.png file which can then be manipulated in any image editing program such as Adobe Photo Shop. I mostly used a program called ACDsee Pro 9 for enhancement as it has very good adjustments across 9 bands of light to dark. It also has a very good filter for enhancing micro contrast to bring out small details in an image. This program also allows one to zoom in to any level of detail to get a closer look.

In this document all images are reproduced at their original resolution. Any zooming of frames is from the camera itself. I do insert a few detail zooms in the original images for clarification. I reproduced the images at the original resolution to preserve the most accurate detail. you can further zoom these images on your computer and see far more detail.

Someone knowledgeable with the type of filming equipment used in such situations said the video camera used had a resolution of 96mpx. This is about double the resolution of the better video cameras available to the general public. It is difficult to tell how far away the camera was but I would estimate from the detail in the video and the 96mpx resolution that the camera platform, likely a helicopter, not a drone, was about 1000 to 1500 feet away.  Once Lavoy's truck stopped it slowly moved in a counter clockwise direction at about a 60 degree angle up and away from the location.

What I was looking for in the video was three things.

1) Was there any information available in the images on closer review that would help clarify what happened.

2) Was there any indication that the video had been altered or edited to remove information.

3) Many people are confused and wish more information about when exactly the authorities began firing and how many shots they fired.

After reviewing the whole video a number of times a number of questions were raised in my mind about inconsistencies during  two time periods. I decided to first concentrate on the few seconds during these periods. They involved about 150 frames which I extracted individually and examined closely after enhancement.

The first period I examined was the period from when Lavoy's truck closely approached the road block till the time the truck stopped in the snow bank.

The story put out by the authorities was that Lavoy tried to bypass the road block to continue on his way. After concentrating on these frames I came to the conclusion this was not the case.

The first image from the video which I present below is of Lavoy's truck while he was first pulled over by the authorities along with the vehicle following him. In the photo he has his foot on the brakes. Notice the lights at the back of the truck. There are 4 brake lights, one at the rear on each side. Another at the back in the top middle of the canopy. The last is at the top center of the back of the cab.

This next frame is from a few seconds later after Lavoy takes his foot off the brake and starts to accelerate away towards where the road block is further ahead.

Notice that the lights at  top center rear of the cab and  canopy are no longer on. The tailights are still on but more difficult to see. The one on the passenger side is difficult to see at all because of the dirt at the back of the truck.

By viewing the state of these lights one can tell when Lavoy is braking the truck which will become an important issue as he approaches the road block.

Also notice the time stamp in the top left corner which has the date on the top line and hours/minutes/seconds on the line below.

The distance from where Lavoy was stopped to where the road block is located appears to be about 1 mile or slightly less. The time it took Lavoy to cover this distance suggests he was doing about 60 to 70 mph on the straight stretch and from seeing slight tapping  of the brakes as he first enters the last curve below he is probably doing 55/60 mph in the curve as shown below.

Notice the topography here. The ground slopes down to the right. The ground to the left of the highway is sloped upwards at what looks to be 35° to 40°. There are also some trees and shrubs close to the road. The curve Lavoy is just entering here gets much sharper just past the top of the picture and because of the topography Lavoy can likely not see the road more than about 200 feet ahead once he is fully into the curve.

The next frame below is from 3 seconds later and the truck brakes are not yet on. Notice he is cutting the corner sharp which further reduces his view of the road ahead. The end of the curve is just out of view at the top of the frame and he is possibly starting to accelerate into the next straight stretch.

The next frame below is about 1 second later (end of second 43 / start of second 45) when he first sees the road block that was until then in a blind spot ahead. This is where he first applies the brakes. The passengers would have seen the trucks before him and this is confirmed in the interview with the lady that was in the truck with him. She says they warned him of vehicles ahead.

I will only include a few frames between now and when the truck comes to a stop in the snow. You can confirm by viewing all the frames that he never takes his foot off the brakes until the last 20 feet of travel in the snow bank when the truck almost rolls over down towards the road. It is up on 2 wheels at a 45° angle. He was probably thrown sideways and his foot slipped off the brake.

Notice the sign on the left circled in red and use it as a reference point in the next few frames, and the still photo taken later from the road block looking back towards where Lavoy came from. This gives a very good indication of how much distance Lavoy had to stop his truck in from approximately 60 mph.

Below... About 1/4 second later Lavoy is directly opposite the sign and the noses of the 3 trucks making up the road block can just be seen at the top pointed out by the red arrow. Lavoy has had about 80 ft to decelerate at this point and he is now about 120 feet from the trucks. He is probably still doing about 50 mph. His brakes are still on.

From the time Lavoy first sees the road block until he is about 40 ft in front of the trucks as shown in the next frame is approximately 2.5 seconds. Do you think you could stop a truck traveling at 60 mph in this distance if you suddenly realized the road is blocked 2.5 seconds ahead? I know I couldn't. He would probably still be doing 30 to 40 mph when he reached the trucks  if he stayed on the road.

You can tell how much momentum he still has by how far he traveled through the deep snow with the brakes on. Deep snow is a very good absorber of momentum stopping a vehicle quickly. Imagine what would have happened if he instead hit the vehicles blocking the road. Notice about six idiots standing directly behind and among the trucks. They would have been either maimed or killed along with everyone in the truck.

If Lavoy instead went off the right low side of the road he would have become airborn and likely rolled the truck end over end. He only had a split second to decide what to do. He made the right decision and headed for the uphill bank. This is confirmed because no one was injured in what could have been a very serious collision.  Notice his brakes are still on.

Below is a photo taken afterwards looking back towards where Lavoy came from. Notice the sign which was circled in the previous frames. Notice how the trees obscure this site from the road just past the sign. Notice the orange marks  on the pavement that likely show where the uphill truck was parked.  You can also see where Lavoy's truck entered the snow.

Below you can see the brakes are still on as he enters the snow and the size of the snow spray on the uphill side gives some idea of the significant momentum he still has. The truck travels about 1.5 truck lengths past this spot before stopping.

Below are the last 2 frames in this sequence that first show the truck almost tipped on its side and then at a complete stop after it settles back onto all 4 wheels. The brakes are off at this point. Lavoy was likely thrown to the side and lost his place on the brake pedal.

This road block was installed in an incredibly dangerous fashion almost guaranteeing a serious accident. It appears to me that the intent was an ambush rather than safely stopping all traffic. Where could traffic go if the road block was 100 or 200 ft further back giving vehicles coming out of the curve plenty of room to stop? Such a location would have been just as effective and much safer.

The next frames are very suspicious. Right at the most critical moment when the truck comes to a stop and we need to see what the occupants do, the camera does this for 1.5 seconds (45 frames) while it quickly pans back down the road towards the direction Lavoy came from.

Technically it is easy to create this effect after the fact.

The first clear frame following this again shows the entry of the curve.

The camera then slowly pans upwards towards the the road block.  The time stamp says  Lavoy's truck is again visible in 3 seconds  from when the truck stops but watching the video it appears to take longer. Checking the frame count in this sequence would confirm if extra frames are added.

When Lavoy's truck first becomes visible again the driver's door is already open.  I can't see this being the case only 3 seconds after the truck stops. It appears to me some time is missing here. Directly after this is where I find some frames that have strange anomalies.

Notice in the close up of Lavoy's truck, superimposed to the right, that the bottom front of the back door window is missing and also the upright post between the driver and passenger door. The black block is supposed to represent the open driver's door but I would think that the window in the drivers door would not be this dark.

If Lavoy was standing outside on the camera side of the door it would explain the doorpost being obscured but the shadows below the door are light enough to see that there are no feet there.

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: An Analysis of the FBI Video of the Road Block resulting in Lavoy Finicu
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:55:53 AM »
Part 2) An Analysis of the FBI Video of the Road Block resulting in Lavoy Finicum’s Death.

Peter Offermann
Contact Author
February 5, 2016

Before I show you the next image, which proves beyond a shadow of doubt that the visual content of the video was altered after the fact, I want to describe somewhat how easy it is to alter either still images or videos which are simply a stream of single images shown in rapid sequence.

As discussed in part 1 it is very suspicious how just as Lavoy's truck comes to a full stop the video blurs and pans else where so the truck is not visible. According to the time stamp at the top left of the frame then visible, the video continues on for 3 seconds before Lavoy’s truck again becomes visible.

In the first frame that again shows the truck, the driver's door is already open. This does not seem likely time wise.  Is 3 seconds long enough to open the door after almost rolling the truck and being thrown around even if belted in?

The time stamp says this is what happened but how reliable is a time stamp?

Doing an internet search for 'video time stamp overlay or embed' returns links to many utilities that can easily add a time stamp to videos after the fact. With this ability you can first create a video composed of many different pieces taken at widely varying times, splice them together and then add a time stamp that will show an uninterrupted time sequence.

You could also cut or insert pieces into a video if you wanted to hide information or add false information.

A TIME STAMP IS NOT PROOF OF ANYTHING unless you have unbroken possession of a video with the original time stamp intact.

Both still images and video taken with digital cameras have invisible data embedded in them detailing much technical data. This is called EXIF data. The image below is a screen capture of the exif data in the video provided by the authorities. From this data you can tell this is not a straight duplicate copy of the original file. It is a copy that has been opened by a program capable of modifying the original file.

The image below shows the results of using a program called exiftool to extract the exif data from the video. This program is regarded as the most accurate and thorough program to deal with this type of data.

Lavoy was shot and killed on January 26th, 2016 sometime approximately 10 minutes after 4:26pm pacific time which was when his vehicle was first stopped by the police.

You will notice a few dates and times in the image below. 'File Creation Date/Time' and 'Track Create Date' are the important ones for our purpose.

If you make a simple copy of a file by either dragging  it elsewhere or doing a 'file save as', the original Date/Time information is preserved, it does not automatically change to the date/time that the file was copied.

The 'Track Create Time' is the time the video started shooting and is preserved even if the created time is manually altered, which is easily done. The created date would be new but the track time would still be the time the original video started recording.

In the EXIF  data neither of the Date/Times correlate with the actual time of Lavoy's killing. If they did they would look something like 2016:01:26   04:29:## if using 12hr clock, or  2016:01:26   16:29:## if using a 24hr clock.

The information below says the video was first recorded 2016:01:29  01:10:55 (at either 1:10am or 1:10pm) this is 3 days after the event occurred and impossible unless this was a modified copy made from the original material. The only way the track date/time  could be changed automatically is by creating a new blank video and then copying and pasting segments of the original FBI file.

Copied segments do not retain the original EXIF data. Doing this would allow the editor to pick and choose, or add any video content they desire. It would also be a good safety measure to strip any existing exif data from the original frames that might show time inconsistencies from editing by adding or deleting content.

Another inconsistency is that  the dates say the video was modified the day before it was shot. This is impossible unless you are a time traveler.

AS any other digital file, if you are familiar with common programming tools such as a hexadecimal text editor, you can open any file and easily make such data say whatever you want.  It only takes a few seconds.

Also... If you look at the time stamp on the video you will note the hour is 00: throughout, even though the minute count starts at 25. '00' is not a valid hour format in either 12 or 24 hr clocks. If the time stamp instead relates only to the time the video is started then there are 25 minutes missing.

In such investigations recording the exact time that events occur is critical. That the time stamp shown doesn't do this is not credible.

If the original video also has the time stamp visible in the image, not just in invisible exif data, this is much more difficult to doctor because you would first need to visually edit out the visual time stamp in each of the many thousand individual frames that compose this video.

The visual format of the video bothered me from the start. Notice the black stripes top and bottom. At 96mpx this is an enormous amount of waste space making the videos much larger without purpose. This is highly unlikely to be done.

If you consider that you might need to remove the original embedded visible time stamp in order to replace it with a generated fake one, which is easy to do, a fast simple way to do this if the time stamp is located near the border of the frame, is to just delete that area of the video and create a new time stamp lower in the bare image underneath. Adding fake blocks to suggest other data is masked in the same area makes it look more realistic. Having a corresponding black stripe at the bottom would also help.

The full frame, including the black stripes is 720x480,  a  standard video size. By using a video conversion program you can convert the format of videos between formats such 16:9 (widescreen) & 4:3 (720/480 or standard older monitor or tv). The result is often such stripes. That these stripes exist is another suggestion that this is not the original un-doctored video.

BACK TO WHERE PART 1 ENDS...

The first segment ended on the frame below which is the first frame the video shows us of Lavoy's truck after Lavoy's truck comes to a stop.  There is at least 3 seconds in between then and when the truck stopped but the camera was pointed elsewhere during that time.

I also think some time is missing here as 3 seconds from the time the truck almost rolled on it's side to the driver's door being open makes no sense to me. Do a 3 second count. Do you think you could compose yourself from being shaken up by a truck that almost rolled to having the heavy drivers door, at a higher than normal angle, fully open in that period.

Although I enlarge the truck somewhat and superimposed it on the frame you can't see very much added detail.

The next image I present is roughly the area of superimposed image above. I enlarged just that section to 1920 x 1804 using photoshop and a plugin (Alienskin Blowup) intended to change image resolution as accurately as possible.

I used some slight 'enhance edges' during the process and then later also added some micro contrast and slight sharpening.

I work on a colour calibrated  27in 2560x1440 pro monitor that is capable of very accurate tonal range reproduction and what I saw shocked me. This frame alone clearly illustrates that the visual data in the video has been doctored to hide some details. There is only one reason this would be done. The FBI/OSP have something to hide.

The image is uploaded at full resolution but reproduced smaller here in the article so it fits in the column. CLICK HERE to download a full-resolution version to see all the detail I describe. You may need to make your browser window wider to get it full size which is about triple what you see here. The subtle detail is much easier seen then.

Even then you may not see all the detail I see because few monitors are calibrated and  most are far brighter and contrasty than calibrated monitors that accurately reproduced what cameras see.  Because this image is very light to begin with a lot of the detail will not be seen on such screens because it is too bright and is burned out. Below I will describe what I see. If this was a court case there would be a color-calibrated monitor in the court capable of accurate reproduction and would show what I describe.

As proof that I didn't alter the visual content of this image, other than enlarging it, anyone can take the same frame out of their copy of the video and get the same results.

CLICK HERE to download a full-resolution version.

Even at the resolution shown here in the article there are some obvious things to be seen.

Notice that most of the truck is covered in light coloured squares. These are the result of enlarging an image past it's native resolution. Each square represents 1 pixel in the original image. The content in each square is created by looking at the tonal and colour content of the  surrounding  pixels and then calculating subtle tonal and colour gradients between all the pixels thereby filling out the squares in a way similar to what happens when you see things in nature. When viewing this blown up image full scale, the subtle gradations are very obvious.

Do you see anything different in the area where the inside of the driver's door should be? The squares are almost gone in that area and it appears more blurred. You can faintly see marks that look like those made by a paint brush when moving it in a mostly circular pattern. Other than these marks there is no subtlety there. The colour is also different there. The affected area is circular with a slight extrusion into the back door window at the top right and has far less detail than anywhere else. There should be squares there like everywhere else.

I can tell you exactly what is responsible for this difference and it guarantees this image was altered.

If there was something in that area that you wanted to hide there are several approaches you could take.

Least subtle and most noticeable would be using a blur tool to smear the pixels there together so detail is lost. Unfortunately this happens to all the detail there, even that which you want to leave behind, such as the outline of the squares, the lack of which in that area is glaringly obvious.

A more subtle way of doing this is to use a cloning tool which takes something that looks similar from elsewhere and superimposes or replaces the content in that area. This is extremely difficult to do un-noticably in images such as this with low contrast and a regularly re-occurring pattern such as the squares. Placing the squares even 1 pixel out of alignment in the new area is glaringly obvious and proves manipulation.

I could doctor this image so you could not tell it had been altered but it would take me 4 to 8 hours to do so. The video has 30 images for each second and it would be an enormous amount of work to do a good job of altering only a few seconds worth of images surrounding this frame.

There is one way of cutting down somewhat on the work involved and it was used a few seconds later as Lavoy climbs up the bank.  I'll explain it then.

Whether you are superimposing or replacing content using cloning in an area such as this, it is almost impossible to do so without blurring occurring.

The truck in this area is mostly composed of subtle shades of grey.  There is a hint of light magenta/purple elsewhere where the image transitions to whites. This is called a colour cast and is caused by inaccuracies in the camera. Notice how the colour is different, much more vivid, and pronounced in the blurred area than anywhere else.

This is also an unintended automatic result of modifying that area. In light low contrast areas such as this the strongest tint will always surface as you manipulate the area.  The light magenta, first invisible, will soon become a dark purple and keep getting worse the more you do. It is very difficult to remove.

The things I have mentioned so far about this image are all caused automatically by the image editing code itself. Next let's look to see if what is put there makes visual sense.

The vehicle is a crew cab. We can clearly see the window in the canopy and in the back door of the crew cab. Where is the window space in the driver's door? It looks like there are only two windows not three. Looking at better images of the truck elsewhere in the video you will see there is a white pillar, about 5 inches wide, between the back door window and front door window. Where is it? It should be there even with the door open.  If Lavoy was standing there he might cover part of it but not all of it.

From the level of detail  surrounding this area it is obvious we would see Lavoy if he was standing out there in the light. Instead we see a round blob that obscures everything in that area.

The time was just before sunset and it appears the light was coming in low from in front of and slightly to the left of the truck. I am checking shadows elsewhere to confirm that.

Notice the outside back edge of the open driver's door. The truck's windows appear to be tinted but there are legal limits about how dark tinting can be. This limit is not dark enough to account for not seeing the outline of the window in the driver's door from the light shining through it. The blob obscures almost all of the door. This is impossible.

At the top of the door, and the blob,  you will notice a few elongated rectangles, mostly with the same vertical sizing as the squares but wider. They get lighter in tone as they rise. There are also a couple of faint rectangles where the vertical dimension is also different. These are obvious artifacts of a sloppy cloning job.

At the bottom left the dark blob extends out into an area were there should only be snow visible. The blob is far darker than any other shadows in that area and could not be caused by the open door.

The blob totally obscures the area where a person would be standing if they stood right outside the door.

Was the blob placed there to hide the fact that Lavoy was standing outside the door then?

Skipping ahead a bit to something I'll fill out in detail further along, I will just mention what happened as the second person got out of the vehicle about 3 minutes after Lavoy was shot. This action is highly visible in the video.

First the door opens. After about 10 seconds hands held high and spread become visible. After 4 or 5 seconds the person steps out  1 step from the truck and spreads his legs. He has something small in his left hand, probably a weapon,  which he drops into the snow in front of him. After a few more seconds he slowly moves towards the back of the truck with his hands in the air.

I think this is standard procedure in such situations. Come out slowly with your hands up, spread your legs and drop your weapon.

Did Lavoy do the same and did the authorities obscure that fact? What would that mean? If he dropped a weapon then what would the shooting be?

In the next segment I will introduce a lot of new evidence that suggests that is the case.

To be continued...

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »
Comments from where the posts were originally.

RE>> Great work as usual Peter. You should cross-post these articles on the Diner.

Surly>>> A thorough and compelling analysis.
You spend a great deal of time asserting that the FBI release copy of the video is a duplicate, which to me seems self-evident. The boxes that mask what purports to be data are evidence of that. I find your demonstration of the manipulation of the EXIF data to be compelling as well. But the piece de resistance is the three second gap and the “blob.”

You are correct to assert that many editing programs can duplicate the motion “swish pan” recorded from the flying camera platform. (The only reference to such platform that I have found in print referred to it as a drone; you posit that it’s a helicopter. Having rented camera-equipped helicopters (an expensive proposition), most such helicopters are equipped with gyroscopically controls which control X, Y, and Z axes. Shooting from such a helicopter makes the occurrence of such a “swish pan” almost impossible, in my experience. What the deal is with a drone, I don’t know.

Your discussion of the edited “blob” on the open driver’s-side door is convincing. I’ve done a great deal of photo reconstruction work, and are quite familiar with the Photoshop techniques that you detail. So one is left to wonder, what is it they were trying to disguise?

At magnification, the editing looks pretty clumsy, too.

Nothing is resolved until they release the physical evidence. Of course, they couldn’t tamper with that, could they?

Peter>>> This site is dormant and I don’t want to resurrect it. I only placed this information here as a working platform until I saw if there was anything worthwhile to be brought forward. I would like to post it on your site and conduct any further dialog there.

You haven’t seen anything yet. Although yet to be confirmed by closer analysis, it appears to me that in the next 2 seconds of video (60 frames) Lavoy is constructed out of whole cloth. Comparing consecutive frames 1/30th of a second apart at higher resolution reveals some suspicious artifacts.There are clues I am aware of that will surface on closer examination of this sequence.

What I suspect is that there was more than 3 seconds in the section where the truck disappears. It is more likely
to be a few minutes rather than a few seconds. They had to cut it out because the camera actually stays focused on the truck and sees everything that occurred. Because it is so difficult to convincingly doctor such material they decided to shorten the sequence and insert a somewhat plausible innocent sequence of images to fill the gap.

There is also something strange I noticed about the period that Lavoy dances around in the place where he is gunned down.

I also noticed that about 3 minutes after the second person got out the truck Lavoy’s outstretched arm moves jerkily about 3 inches. He is either still alive long after he is dropped, or his body is jerked by shots. At that period the upper part of his body is painted by lasers dozens of times.

Single frames clearly show a number of barrages of gunfire at the truck. The sequence starts with about 8 large flash bangs? over about 3 seconds, most to the passenger side of the truck and a few at the front of the truck.

There are then a number of shock clouds visible, first on the passenger side windows, and then on the windshield. The direction the shock clouds dissipate on the windshield makes it appear as if they are coming from the camera position. The shooters on the road by the trucks do not have the right angle of fire to create these. They come from high up and in front of the truck. One brief sequence I will looked at more closely has a puff cloud rising from the windshield and a brief streak, possibly shattered glass, exiting out of the rear passenger door area into the ground just in front of the open door of the uphill blockade vehicle. If this was at a drone as Surly suggests would this be a first? Americans shot at on American soil from a government drone? This could be from an unseen sniper on the ground but from examining the ground behind the road block it appears to level out. It could be someone in a tree.

The overall deployment of the road block pretty much rules out it was a hasty road block thrown up after Lavoy left the scene when he was stopped.

What might be the authorities intent here? Could it be a psyop intended to portray these people as dangerous enemies? UN-necessarily treating them as such would certainly accomplish that.

I’m on a newer computer and I’ll see if I still have the codes to publish on your blog.

I’ll now try to post these on your blog. It will take some time to format them to a forum post.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:09:13 PM by peter »

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »
Single frames clearly show a number of barrages of gunfire at the truck. The sequence starts with about 8 large flash bangs? over about 3 seconds, most to the passenger side of the truck and a few at the front of the truck.

There are then a number of shock clouds visible, first on the passenger side windows, and then on the windshield. The direction the shock clouds dissipate on the windshield makes it appear as if they are coming from the camera position. The shooters on the road by the trucks do not have the right angle of fire to create these. They come from high up and in front of the truck. One brief sequence I will looked at more closely has a puff cloud rising from the windshield and a brief streak, possibly shattered glass, exiting out of the rear passenger door area into the ground just in front of the open door of the uphill blockade vehicle. If this was at a drone as Surly suggests would this be a first? Americans shot at on American soil from a government drone? This could be from an unseen sniper on the ground but from examining the ground behind the road block it appears to level out. It could be someone in a tree.

I thought I saw bullets hitting the passenger side of the truck when I watched part one, some time after Finicum was down.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:32:58 PM »
@Eddy.... I will eventually put up single frames of most of the shots. They start with the flash bangs about a minute after Lavoy goes down and last 2 or 3 minutes until the second person exits the truck.

I figured out what they likely did at the point the truck stops in the snow once I started work on part 3 which I'm currently working on.

There are two possibilities.

1) They cut a significant slice of time out under the cover of the blur.

2) There are 2 camera platforms.

Either way it cinches that this video is not untouched.

I'll explain this in part 3 which will be ready in a few hours.

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »
Part 3) An Analysis of the FBI Video of the Road Block resulting in Lavoy Finicum’s Death.

Click here for Part 1
Click here for Part 2

Peter Offermann
Contact Author
February 6, 2016

At the end of part 2 we were examining the period of time that Lavoy's truck comes to a stop in the snow.

Here again is the last frame of his truck before the big blur.

Take note of the perspective here and try to visualize where the camera platform is. What I see is that it is to the left of the road on the uphill side and almost even with the truck almost directly overhead.  Even if the image is zoomed out further the platform location would not move back far or cross the road because of the steep angle of the shot.

Next comes the big blur for about 1 second.

Not shown previously... Below is the first clear frame after the blur ends.

The above location is at the start of the last curve and well to the right of the road. It again is taken at a steep angle almost straight down. It is also pointing in a totally different direction than the first frame.

As the camera slowly pans up from here and again shows us the truck we get a better reference of where the camera platform is in this frame.

Compare the back of Lavoy's truck in the first frame and this one. The current camera position is well behind the truck and far to the right as shown in the second frame.

Taking into account camera zoom how far apart do you think the camera positions in the first and last images are?

My estimate is at least 700 feet.

According to the blur the platform has slightly less than 1 second to change places. It then takes another 2 seconds to pan back up towards the truck.

Unless the platform is able to teleport or time travel this is impossible.

There are only 2 possible explanations.

1) A section of video was cut out during this period allowing more time for the camera to change position.

2) There are two camera platforms not one.

I am currently leaning towards 2 platforms. With only 1 platform it didn't makes sense for the camera to move away from the action at the critical moment but if their was a second camera close in covering the action then the first camera is free to zoom back out and cover the police vehicle arriving at the scene before again covering the truck.

Either way this video has been altered from the original. Either a section was taken out or 2 separate videos were spliced together under the cover of the blur.

To give a clear example of how the first frame I blew up with the truck door open had been doctored I went back and blew up the last frame of the truck before the blur happened. Click below to see a full sized version.

CLICK HERE for full sized version.

The picture above does not look doctored to me because the detail and density is similar everywhere. Compare it to the image below. The blob behind the open front door is very different from everywhere else. It does suggest why the post between the doors in the original doesn't appear and only the bottom shows clearly in the frame above. The blending algorithm used in the blowup averages out the 4 inch wide white post because of 2+ ft of almost solid black interior to both sides. The interior is slightly lighter in the middles because of the almost disappeared white content.

CLICK HERE for the full sized version.

The two images above also clearly illustrate the widely different positions of the camera in the two shots. In the first we would be seeing the front of the driver's door if it was open as in the second shot. In the second shot we are almost directly behind the vehicle and would see the area behind the open door if not for the blob.

Triangulate out 1000+ feet to account for the zoom and there is a large distance between the two locations.

This is the end of part 3. Part 4 which I'll tackle tomorrow will look at the period Lavoy emerges out of the blob.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:39:34 PM »
How many parts do you expect it to go?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
About 7 to 10. There are a lot of areas to cover, each of which are complex to analyze  and get confusing if mixed together.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:11:16 PM »
About 7 to 10. There are a lot of areas to cover, each of which are complex to analyze  and get confusing if mixed together.

OK.  I'll let JL know.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »
UPDATE....

You'll need to be patient today. I am currently creating a zoomed in gif file from about 100 still frames that cover the period from when Lavoy exits the truck until he is near the top of the rise where he is shot. You will be able to see each frame in slow motion close up. From what I have seen so far there is at least 1 shocker and more proof frames are missing.

It will be late tonight or tomorrow morning before this is done.

Peter

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »
Part 4) An Analysis of the FBI Video of the Road Block resulting in Lavoy Finicum’s Death.

Peter Offermann
Contact Author
February 7, 2016

In this document we are going to examine closely the 3.3 seconds occuring from when the truck first reappears in the FBI video with the door already open.

While watching this period in the original video a few things bothered me.

1) The first few seconds of action as Lavoy first appears seemed to transpire too quickly.

2) There were some strange light and dark artifacts that flashed by.

3) The perspective appeared weird.

One could, and somebody probably will, write a book about all the things wrong with this time period.

What I decided to do was to create an animated gif that was zoomed in on just the area of Lavoy  and the truck so that we could see what happened in more detail and I could also regulate the speed of the play back.

The area within the red box is approximately the area the gif covers out of the full frames.

Methodology for creating the gif…

The intent was to leave the frames as close to original as possible so there is no question regarding artifacts added by the process. Doing this also assures that anyone else who has a copy of the same video can duplicate the results I got thereby verifying I did not alter the content.

I first used VLC media Player to step through that period and extract every frame in order. No frames were skipped, deleted or added. The video is shot at 30 frames per second and the frames captured were 100. This means that the whole sequence is only 3.3 seconds long when played at the original speed.

Consider everything you see happen at slower speed in the gif below. Is it humanly possible for all this action to occur in 3.3 seconds?

Did anyone else notice how the action slows down substantially after this period? Watch the original video and it will be obvious after being pointed out here.

The camera moves around substantially during this period and the video needed to be stabilized in order to keep the focus on that area. There are lots of stabilization programs but I decided not to use any because they all do some image enhancement in the process that would alter the actual images. I decided to instead stabilize the video manually  using ACDSee. I created a crop box of 72 pixels x 72 pixels (1” sq on most monitors) which corresponds with the red box above.

I then stepped through the 100 frames one at a time and aligned the bottom right of the box with the bottom right of the truck in each frame. The stabilization isn’t perfect but good enough for our purposes.

After cropping, each frame was sized at 72x72 pixels. I then resized each frame to 360x360 pixels which is the final size of the gif you will see below. I used a different method for enlargement than the previous material because I wanted to preserve the detail as much as possible rather than enhance it. I may do a 720x720 enhanced version late.

I then used photoshop to create a frame type gif animation of all 100 images in sequence. I set the display time for all frames to .5 seconds which is equal to 2 frames per second or 15 times slower than realtime.

The gif is set to loop continuously.

The gif is 3.5mb and will take a bit of time to load on slower connections.

All of the blurring that occurs in several areas is in the original images not caused by playback.

The first few frames are black at the top because the truck was then right at the top of the full frame and the crop area included part of the black border of the video.

TIMELINE (each change of frame is  equal to 1/15th of a realtime second)

The first frame seen above occurs 3 seconds after the truck drops back onto all 4 wheels after almost rolling downhill to the right.

Lavoy already has the door open, and if watched closely, is also already standing outside the truck near the back lip of the open door which would be about 3 feet away from the truck.

In the action of the gif Lavoy takes at least 6 full steps in uneven snow in 3.3 seconds.

Try this and see if you can do it.

Not only is the timing of this sequence totally unrealistic; there are also some movements made by Lavoy that are impossible.

Do you remember one of the witnesses in the truck stating that Lavoy was on his knees at one point?  This statement was shrugged off because it wasn’t apparent in the video!

Hold on a minute here and again watch this much slowed down sequence. Although it happens too fast to be humanly possible, do you see any spot where it looks like Lavoy is kneeling for just a fraction of a second?

To clarify this I am next going to reproduce 14 frames of the gif surrounding the apparent kneeling in the original sequence without leaving any frames out.

Everything you see in the following 14 frames supposedly occurred in 1/2 second.

Does any frame look like Lavoy is kneeling?

If there was more time in this sequence the sections where Lavoy appears to kneel might possibly be explained by his stepping into a patch of deeper snow but it happens too fast to be the case. His legs are also still the same length as when he gets out of the truck.

Also notice when he steps out of the truck he does not lift his feet at all while in the snow bank caused by the truck. His first 3 steps look like he’s walking normally on level ground. The second person that later steps out of the truck directly behind there clearly sinks to his knees on the first step.

I still need to take some measurements to confirm it but Lavoy looks noticeably shorter to me at the truck than in the last frame of the gif. It becomes more apparent in the frames after the gif ends.

It’s been a long day doing this so part 4 will end here with a brief preview of what to expect in part 5 sometime later tomorrow.

The footprints in that area are visible later in the video from 4 different angles. I have enhanced some of these frames substantially to bring the footsteps out as clearly as possible.

Here they are at 720x480 pixels. I am working on them at 1920x1280 pixels and will put them up in part 5.

Spoiler… There are two sets of footprints in this area. One set is probably made by the shooter who shot Lavoy from the back as the shooter climbed up the hill to get into position. Tomorrow I will colour in the footsteps with different colours for each set, then remove the shooter’s footprints for clarity after I am comfortable I got it right.

We will then be able to compare Lavoy’s motions to the marks on the ground and hopefully will also be able to figure out how deep the snow is.

Offline peter

• Administrator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 08:56:43 PM »
Part 5) An Analysis of the FBI Video of the Road Block resulting in Lavoy Finicum’s Death.

Peter Offermann
Contact Author
February 9, 2016

Before moving on to analyzing Lavoy’s footsteps in the snow let’s take another look  at the sequence in Part 4. A number of people have raised questions about this.

Below is a different view of the 3.3 seconds composed of 100 frames total. The image below shows only 7 frames side by side to identify the times Lavoy planted his feet on the ground during this period. The action starts on the right and moves left. Click below to see a larger version.

Click here for a larger version of the image.
In frames 1,2, and 3 notice how short Lavoy’s steps are. If you compare them to the length of his lower leg it appears that they are at most about 18 inches which is about about an average slow walking stride. Would you be able to run with such a stride? If you watch the gif in part 4. you will see his gait was very smooth. If running there would likely be more up/down movement.

Lavoy doesn’t lift his feet at all until step 3. The person who steps out of the back door directly behind this a couple of minutes later sinks right to his knees on his first step. Can Lavoy walk smoothly here on top of the snow as if he was on  bare level ground? Keep this in mind when I later show you his footprints. Do they correlate with his actions?

Step 1… Stepping away from door onto left foot.

Step 2… Planted on right foot stepping forward onto left foot.

Step 3… Planted on left foot, lifting right foot high to step up higher on the bank, possibly into deep snow. 

At step 4 Lavoy appears to plant his right foot knee deep into the snow. We know this snow is heavy and wet from the spray pattern created by his truck. If it was fluffy and light there would be a very different pattern. Without lifting this foot Lavoy swivels 80 degrees to the left and then plants his left foot facing 80 degrees left from his right foot. Try this and imagine being in snow up to your knees. What would happen to your knee on the planted foot?

Step 5… right foot still planted, left foot still in the air swung halfway around.

Step 6… Planted on left foot stepping forward onto right foot.

Step 7… Planted on right foot stepping forward onto left foot.

In part 4 I introduced 4 frames from the video that showed Lavoy’s footsteps in the snow from different angles. We will next look at these frames individually in detail. Firstly full frame for reference and then a closeup of only the area of the footsteps for clarity.

As I mentioned in part 4 there are two sets of footprints in this area. One set goes directly up the bank from the area of the back door of the truck and were likely made by the shooter who shot Lavoy in the back when the shooter moved into position before Lavoy arrived. I will mark each persons steps in a different colour to differentiate them.

I was going to put the footstep analysis into this part but because of delay with computer gremlins today and the lengthy time required to prepare the required images, which are now about half done, I will end part 5 here to at least get something up for you to ponder today.Tomorrow in part 6 we will look at the footsteps on the ground.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 06:36:26 AM »
It does look more and more like an execution to me, which doesn't surprise me. But when you're done, Peter, I'd be very interested in whatever narrative you piece together from this. You've spent a lot of time looking at the evidence, such as it is.

It looks to me like the cops engineered the ambush and placed a shooter conveniently to be ready to take out the first one out of the truck. But the only thing I can say for sure, is that Lavoy appeared to be trying to surrender as soon as he exited the truck.

I'm sure interested in what compelled him to drive off from the first stop (yeah, maybe bullets), and why they didn't immediately surrender when they got stopped. My guess is that we'll never have conclusive proof of exactly what was said and done.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:24:38 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Ruralone

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »
It does look more and more like an execution to me, which doesn't surprise me. But when you're done, Peter, I'd be very interesting in whatever narrative you piece together from this. You've spent a lot of time looking at the evidence, such as it is.

It looks to me like the cops engineered the ambush and placed a shooter conveniently to be ready to take out the first one out of the truck. But the only thing I can say for sure, is that Lavoy appeared to be trying to surrender as soon as he exited the truck.

I'm sure interested in what compelled him to drive off from the first stop (yeah, maybe bullets), and why they didn't immediately surrender when they got stopped. My guess is that we'll never have conclusive proof of exactly what was said and done.

I think the testimony of the oppressed is salient. Together with the falsification of evidence, by omission, paints a complete picture as already delineated by T J McCann.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »

I think the testimony of the oppressed is salient. Together with the falsification of evidence, by omission, paints a complete picture as already delineated by T J McCann.

The testimony of the "oppressed" is utterly irrelevant to the pursuit of truth, which is what Peter is trying to adduce.

And are you referring to T.J. MCCann, noted tea party shit stirrer, birther, and composer of spurious legal theories?
"...reprehensible lying communist..."