AuthorTopic: Lobster Blues  (Read 933 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Lobster Blues
« on: February 12, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »
It was a disappointing day in purchases.

First disappointment was the No. 1 Smartwatch I bought which finally arrived after abput a month.

The first thing that went wrong was in opening the buckle on the leather band, the buckle broke.  Then after I got the back open to install the battery and SIM card to see if it would operate as an independent phone, I found the Micro SIM Card size did not match.  So phone operation out.

Then I plugged it in to charge and turned it on.  I got about 30 seconds where the screen was live and then it went dead.  No further charging has revived it.  It may be the battery, but I am not wasting more money trying a new batt in it.  $50 waste.

Worse than that though was my Lobster Dinner.  There were some nice plump looking tails ON SALE at 3 Bears a couple of days ago, and I haven't had lobster in years, I think since I moved up here.  One of my favorite foods from my youth, although then I always got them Live from the tanks and they were Atlantic lobsters, the kind with the big claws.  These tails were Pacific lobsters and they were frozen.  I defrosted slowly and carefully over a couple of day in the fridge, then got my steamer all set up, melted 1/4 stick of butter, sliced up lemon wedges and was all prepared for a fabulous feast.

Bleccch.  The meat was almost tasteless and chewy tough except for the very center.  Total waste of money also.  I would have rather had a frozen burrito for dinner.

Now part of this I am sure is the fact they were frozen and not fresh, but generally speaking with all shellfish I have eaten lately including shrimp and king crab, I find it just doesn't have the flavor that I remember.  It probably has something to do with changing ocean chemistry.

Anyhow, this takes shellfish pretty much off my diet for the future.  I'm going to stick with my simple basics and not ruin my memories of great food with this kind of tasteless crap, which still comes in at ridiculously high prices.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Lobster Blues
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 03:40:54 AM »

First disappointment was the No. 1 Smartwatch I bought which finally arrived after abput a month.
//Then I plugged it in to charge and turned it on.  I got about 30 seconds where the screen was live and then it went dead.  No further charging has revived it.  It may be the battery, but I am not wasting more money trying a new batt in it.  $50 waste.
You ARE returning it, yes?

Worse than that though was my Lobster Dinner.  There were some nice plump looking tails ON SALE at 3 Bears a couple of days ago...These tails were Pacific lobsters and they were frozen. 
//

Now part of this I am sure is the fact they were frozen and not fresh, but generally speaking with all shellfish I have eaten lately including shrimp and king crab, I find it just doesn't have the flavor that I remember.  It probably has something to do with changing ocean chemistry.

There's this:
SURPRISE! You're Eating Fukushima Radiation; Bloody Cancerous Tumors in Fish & Seafood

This is a long and detailed article-- pack a lunch-- ut conforms one thing:
The 'federal government' of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA has done absolutely NOTHING to test for radiation in the Pacific Ocean. Nothing.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service confirm they "have not tested for radiation and have no plans to do so in the future."

And as has been discussed here before, the one thing the government has done is to raise the "acceptable" levels of radiation.

Yet government did take -some- action with respect to radiation;  they raised the definition of "safe" exposure!   Yes, you read that correctly.

A nearly 1000-fold increase for exposure to strontium-90;
A 3000 to 100,000-fold hike for exposure to iodine-131; and
An almost 25,000 rise for exposure to radioactive nickel-63.

The new radiation guidelines would also allow long-term cleanup thresholds thousands of times more lax than anything EPA has ever judged safe in the past.

As always, do your own due diligence, e.g. your recent post about consulting multiple sites to triangulate  insome version of the truth.  realizing from the jump that corporate media is utterly corrupt and in the disinformation business.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »

//Then I plugged it in to charge and turned it on.  I got about 30 seconds where the screen was live and then it went dead.  No further charging has revived it.  It may be the battery, but I am not wasting more money trying a new batt in it.  $50 waste.
You ARE returning it, yes?

What, and spend ANOTHER $16 on postage to mail it back to China?  I'll just eat the $50 I bought it for on this one.  If I had spent $200 I'd go through the hassle of returning it.  I did send the distributor a complaint email though.

Worse than that though was my Lobster Dinner.  There were some nice plump looking tails ON SALE at 3 Bears a couple of days ago...These tails were Pacific lobsters and they were frozen. 
//

There's this:
SURPRISE! You're Eating Fukushima Radiation; Bloody Cancerous Tumors in Fish & Seafood

Well, there were no bloody cancerous tumours visible and they didn't glow in the dark, so besides being tasteless and chewy hopefully I will not come down with cancer also.  At least not before Deutchebank goes tits up.  I wanna see that one play out.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
GOOD NEWZ!

I decided not to give up and I took out the battery and reinstalled it.  It is now working!

I also got it paired to my smart phone and I now can make and take phone calls from the watch!

Now I just gotta get the watchband clasp fixed.

I like this one better than the rectangular one I first bought when testing these things out because it looks much more like a regular watch and goes better with my Indiana Jones fashion statement.  ;D

Many other watch faces available besides this one, and lots of handy apps.  It synchs all your contacts and calendar and will buzz your wrist so you don't miss appointments or your wedding anniversary.  This device can save marriages!  lol.  It also will play mp3 Music and Daily Rants! You can either play direct on the phone speaker or bluetooth it to a stereo headset.

Once I get it fully fixed up, I'm going to see if I can get a SIM card that fits it from GCI to use as an independent phone with my Alaska phone number.

I feel much better now.  I only poisoned myself with Pacific Lobster and only got a partial lemon watch.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:37:30 PM »
Good Newz & Bad Newz.

First the Good Newz.

Clasp on the band is fixed, I brought it to the watch counter at Walmart and the nice lady behind the counter fixed it for free.  :icon_sunny:

Now the Bad Newz.

It seems to work for a while, but then shuts down again and you can't restart it without doing the battery removal-replacement thing, which is a pain in the ass.  This even if the battery still has charge.  When I left the digs it was at 70%, then after about an hour driving to Wally World, getting the band fixed, doing some clothes shopping for my trip on Monday to Portland for my IME, on the return home I did the battery thing and got it started again, and it showed 30% charge.

That is also a very rapid discharge for a watch that supposedly will go 2 days without being plugged in for a charge.  So I am suspecting this is just a bad battery and will try to get the distributor to send me a new battery.

I also haven't been able to get it to charge up past 70% as of yet, and as soon as I plug it in to the charger it shuts down so I can't monitor whether it is charging or not until I disconnect, do the battery thing and restart.

So all in all so far, it's still a Lemon.  I can't even use it as a reliable watch if it is going to shut down on me an hour after I leave the digs, much less a cell phone substitute.

The original LG rectangular model works fine, no tech issues with that one but it is too nerdy looking for my taste.  It might look OK with a nicer leather band though.  But it also is more limited than the No. 1.  The No. 1 besides taking its own SIM card also takes a Micro SD card so you can have tons of music stored on it, pictures, even video though watch video on a small round screen on your wrist is pretty dumb.  So, I remain hopeful that I can get the No. 1 working properly here after I hear back from their Tech Support.  It won't be ready in time for the trip to Oregon thoug unless there is a miraculous breakthrough here in the next day.

On the clothing front, great Bargains at Wally's, I picked up shirts for $5 and Cargo-style sweat pants for $9, as well as new regular cargo pants in Black & in Camo for street wear.  I'm trying to get my clothing set reorganized with just 3 sets and then I want to get over to Goodwill and donate all my old clothes to the Homeless.  I have far too much clothing that I never wear, and most of it is in quite good shape.  It certainly all will never fit in a Stealth Van or a Sailboat, so I need to divest of it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can