PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Judge orders Apple to access iPhone belonging to San Bernadino shooter

AuthorTopic: Judge orders Apple to access iPhone belonging to San Bernadino shooter  (Read 15668 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
WSJ goes the Full Bernays in Apple-FBI Encryption Case
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2016, 03:02:18 AM »
OMFG.  Can you write more blatant propaganda than this?  The FBI Hacking your phone is a GOOD thing!  ::)

The WSJ has reached a new low.

RE

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-fbi-breach-of-the-iphone-is-a-win-for-users-1459742402

Why the FBI Breach of the iPhone Is a Win for Users
Experts say ‘lawful hacking’ helps make software more secure

Advocates say lawful hacking is an alternative to, and preferable to, creating a new ‘backdoor’ into the system. Above, protesters outside court in March. Photo: Frederic J. Brown/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

By Christopher Mims
April 4, 2016 12:00 a.m. ET

There was only one way for the court battle between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Apple Inc. over access to the data on a killer’s phone could end well for everyday Americans. Luckily, the FBI achieved it.

With the help of outside hackers, whose identity remains a mystery, the FBI successfully circumvented Apple’s much-touted security. In the process, the agency did exactly what defenders of encryption and digital privacy have advocated for some time. It is called “lawful hacking,” which is another way to describe law enforcement exploiting weaknesses in a security process.

Advocates say lawful hacking is an alternative to, and preferable to, creating a new “backdoor” into the system. An author of a recent paper on the subject, Columbia University professor and cybersecurity expert Steven Bellovin, says “I don’t have any problem with what the FBI did. The whole premise of lawful hacking is there are vulnerabilities.”

Here is why that is a good thing: It makes software more secure. Bugs are often discovered by “white hat” hackers who share them with the software’s creator so they can be patched, typically before the flaw is even disclosed. This isn’t a purely benevolent system; it works because these hackers, or their employers at universities or cybersecurity companies, want the money from bug “bounties,” or the publicity that comes with finding an exploit, and because everyone, including hackers, is vulnerable to undisclosed exploits.

This dynamic is so well-established that it played out quietly in the background as the FBI-Apple dispute raged. Researchers at Johns Hopkins University last month revealed a flaw in Apple’s iMessage texting program that could have allowed law-enforcement agents or hackers to decrypt photos or videos attached to messages as they moved over the Internet. The researchers disclosed the bug to Apple, which devised a patch.

We also saw the process at work in 2014 with a bug called Heartbleed, which jeopardized the encryption scheme used on much of the Internet. The flaw was first reported by a researcher at Google; a fix was quickly devised and deployed by those responsible for the open-source code in which it was found.

In that case, the White House made an unprecedented disclosure about how the federal government decides whether or not to share a vulnerability with the companies responsible for fixing them. The National Security Agency, for example, has said it discloses 91% of the vulnerabilities it discovers, but probably only after it has used them for its own purposes. Officials said they decide whether to disclose a flaw by weighing factors including whether the vulnerability poses a threat to national security, the likelihood that someone else has found it, the value of the intelligence that could be gathered if it is used, and whether it can be patched.

Given the publicity around the iPhone dispute, Shane McGee, chief privacy officer of cybersecurity firm FireEye Inc., says it is now open season on Apple’s iOS operating system among hackers, who are often driven by ego as much as lucre.

There is a big caveat in the Apple case, however. For now, at least, the FBI won’t disclose the bug to Apple, which means Apple can’t fix it. That is bad for Apple’s privacy-focused brand and could be bad for users, since others who learn of the flaw could exploit it for nefarious purposes. We don’t know how likely that is, because we don’t know how the FBI gained access to the phone; its method could require physical access to a device, plus a lot of time and money, making other exploits less likely.

The FBI and Apple declined to comment.

Whatever happens with this bug, and this phone, the struggle between breaking into software and securing software will only intensify. As FireEye’s Mr. McGee points out, Apple is already working to make the next version of iOS even more impenetrable by the government and Apple itself.

The possibility that Apple could create a device that it would be unable to breach even if ordered by a court must keep those in law enforcement awake at night. And yet we seem headed to a world in which even the most draconian edict couldn’t force Apple to unravel the laws of mathematics at the heart of its own encryption.

In a world of ever-multiplying threats—including multimillion-dollar bank heists carried out from a keyboard—increased security is an unqualified win for all Apple users.

It won’t necessarily come easily, however. Absent action from Congress—which lawmakers have said is unlikely in a polarizing election year—the battle between Apple and the FBI seems destined to continue ad infinitum. Which, paradoxically, is evidence that the system is working.

It may be in the nature of this dispute that it can never end. And that may be the only satisfactory “resolution” we can hope for.

Write to Christopher Mims at christopher.mims@wsj.com
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Judge orders Apple to access iPhone belonging to San Bernadino shooter
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2016, 03:11:05 AM »
OMFG.  Can you write more blatant propaganda than this?  The FBI Hacking your phone is a GOOD thing!  ::)

The WSJ has reached a new low.

RE

That's that lump of shit Murdoch you can thank for that.

He destroyed Baron's as well, my favorite financial weekly. It's only good as an ass wiper now.  :-[
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:28:24 AM by Golden Oxen »

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WSJ goes the Full Bernays in Apple-FBI Encryption Case
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2016, 04:31:57 AM »
Murdoch is Mordor in the Newz Biz for sure, but even if he doesn't own the rag, all the rest of the MSM is just the same.  It's all total PROPAGANDA.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
A minor Bernays fuckification. Pavlov's dog style.
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2016, 07:53:36 AM »
-- the battle between Apple and the FBI seems destined to continue ad infinitum. Which, paradoxically, is evidence that the system is working.   Christopher Mims

Evidence the system is working all right but what system?  The system of spooks who feel the need to watch everything I do and harass me is working yes. Is the system that is suppose to keep us 'safe' working?  Obviously not since they spend altogether too much time fucking with me.

What you are looking at is evidence of a minor fuckification by the deep state intended to make me paranoid and ineffective; hopefully something to make me go off like a crazy man and make myself look like a fool.  'They'  have put a man in the middle between my computer and the internet to watch and control my web surfing experience.  What 'they' do if you are a problem child such as moi, as they did in this case, is hijack the results of your web searches and put anything they want on the results page.  This is not the first time I have experienced this.  Specifically what you are looking at is the result of an alleged duckduckgo search.

The 'awsome superdidooper high tec stuff kinda person' is ME.  Which is established because my duckduckgo (the search engine that does not share your identity) search goes on to say kdog does not believe this is a word.

This is true my search for shiznatical was to see if the word was real or not.  As 'they' obviously saw me doing this 'they' responded.

If you had any doubts the terror state is quite real!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:03:42 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A minor Bernays fuckification. Pavlov's dog style.
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2016, 08:48:13 AM »
-- the battle between Apple and the FBI seems destined to continue ad infinitum. Which, paradoxically, is evidence that the system is working.   Christopher Mims

Evidence the system is working all right but what system?  The system of spooks who feel the need to watch everything I do and harass me is working yes. Is the system that is suppose to keep us 'safe' working?  Obviously not since they spend altogether too much time fucking with me.

What you are looking at is evidence of a minor fuckification by the deep state intended to make me paranoid and ineffective; hopefully something to make me go off like a crazy man and make myself look like a fool.  'They'  have put a man in the middle between my computer and the internet to watch and control my web surfing experience.  What 'they' do if you are a problem child such as moi, as they did in this case, is hijack the results of your web searches and put anything they want on the results page.  This is not the first time I have experienced this.  Specifically what you are looking at is the result of an alleged duckduckgo search.

The 'awsome superdidooper high tec stuff kinda person' is ME.  Which is established because my duckduckgo (the search engine that does not share your identity) search goes on to say kdog does not believe this is a word.

This is true my search for shiznatical was to see if the word was real or not.  As 'they' obviously saw me doing this 'they' responded.

This is what I get with shiznatical

Scroll down

Top Definition
kdog
one who is the shiznatical.. and yes shiznatical is a word
don't go to infinity and beyond.. try bed bath and beyond ;)
by snoop leigh January 23, 2004
Buy the mug
Random Word
20 Words related to Kdog

khalia a blackedout bronin cougar drunk grammar geek harry khaliakinz kk krishna kristin krysha kutie life's life's a party only-child-itis shitfaced shronin waldo

K-dog
An asshole, mainly of the canine variety. Often seen committing random acts of fuckery. Acts hood, but is really a pussy. Scared of vacuums, Swiffers, and other small household appliances.
That asshole K-dog ate the crunchy bits off of my Chic-Fil-A biscuit! What an asshole!
by e92 August 10, 2014
Buy the mug
Kdog
Originates from the name " Kira" which in turn translates to "princess wonderful". Any kdog you meet will literally bring dah boys out. But their is only one kdog cause Shes one of a kind. She also doesn't Fuck around with ratchet bitch ass gyuri people. Any people that question her, she'll dance on peoples heads with her pair of red heels. She is thirsty for Niels D.......lightful personality ;D ~~~~ No but seriously she will cut your hair off and wear it for Mardi gras 2014.
Kdog: GYURI GET YOU NASTY ASS CAMEL TOE OUTTA THE KITCHEN !!
Bystanders: Whoa !! THT gyuri Bitch just got kdogged 0:

Gyuri: OMG wow Im a goddess !!
Kdog: Fuck off mole. Go die in a hole !!
by johyun April 16, 2013
Buy the mug
k dog
an asshole that has sex with sluts while dating you
dude, k slept with a while he was dating her! he pulled a total k dog!
by @nonym0u$ February 14, 2008
Buy the mug
k-dog
A mine sniffing dolphin who works for the Navy. A dolphin with a stupid camera on it's fin who looks for mines.
That K-dog can sure find mines!
by Keith (I'm no friggin dolphin!) Dowling April 08, 2003
Buy the mug
Ten Words Trending Now

truffle butter
    fuck boy
    thot
    netflix and chill
    dabbing
    dab
    tubgirl
    sapiosexual
    dabbin'
    alabama hot pocket

Alphabetical List

Kdog
    kdoggin
    k-dogging
    K-dogg special
    k doke
    k doks
    K.D.O.L.
    kdolf
    K-Don
    K-DOOKy
    k dord
    kdorkas
    K Dot
    k dot kid
    kdough
    K'd out the frame
    kdown
    KDP
    kdphi
    kdpt
    kdquality
    K/D Quit
    KDR
    KDrama
    Kdrama addict
    k-drama fever
    k/d ratio
    KD Ratio
    KDR Dick Rider
    KDS
    kdslash
    KD Smothering
    k-dst
    KDT
    KDU
    K-dub
    K-Dub Project
    KDubz
    K-Dude
    Kdumpster

© 1999-2016 Urban Dictionary ®
jobs   terms of service   privacy
remove   feedback

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2016, 09:05:20 AM »
I never knew SHIZNATICAL was a word!  :o  William F. Buckley Jr. used to use words I never heard of before though, so I do realize that some words are out of my common vocabulary but do exist.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »
I never knew SHIZNATICAL was a word!  :o  William F. Buckley Jr. used to use words I never heard of before though, so I do realize that some words are out of my common vocabulary but do exist.

RE

Here is Shiznat    :laugh:

Top Definition
ShizNat
From 2004 onwards, ShizNat also refers to the lesbian couple in the anime Mai Hime. ShizNat is the abbreviation for Shizuru and Natsuki.
That lesbian stalker just went shiznat over her prey.
by papa lolita April 26, 2006
Buy the mug
Random Word
20 Words related to ShizNat

shit shiznatical braz crap gulosh poop shiz shiznats shiznits shizzeur shizzle slumpo slumpy slut butt dawg ho shizzy ugly slut white trash

Shiznats
Replacement word for "shit". Used around pious friends and up-tight adults that really need to get a life.
HOLY SHIT- er... I mean, HOLY SHIZNATS!
by the hugable ninja February 12, 2009
Buy the mug
shiznat
something of great quality
this food is the shiznat!
by spencer December 22, 2002
Buy the mug
shiznat
Meaning tight. Came from a group of teens who stuck together thru hard times renaming themselves to fight the system known as Shiznat101.
Your party is the shiznat
by dudeman October 25, 2004
Buy the mug
Shiznat
Something freaking awesome.not shiznit though thats just plain gay.this word is used by many rappers and sexy awesome people like me!!!
That Pimping band lower OuTake is the shiznat!!!fo sho
by Chad Green May 01, 2004
Buy the mug
Shiznat
some may say this word means the shit. however, that was the 80's. my band means it as cool, or awesome. shiznit is a stupid mispronunciation of this word and anyone who says it should be condemned to a life of misery.
person #1: wow! that's the shiznat!

person #2: yeah that is the shiznit!

person #1: it's shizNAT u idiot!

*person #2 is condemned to a life of missery
by dan April 16, 2004
Buy the mug
Ten Words Trending Now

truffle butter
    fuck boy
    thot
    netflix and chill
    dabbing
    dab
    tubgirl
    sapiosexual
    dabbin'
    alabama hot pocket

Alphabetical List

ShizNat
    shiznatalicious
    Shiznatch
    shiznatical
    shiznatti
    shiznatz
    Shiznaught
    shiznaw
    shiznay
    shiznay in the biznay
    shiznaz
    shiznazer
    shiznazz
    Shizneezy
    shiz-neh
    Shiznel
    Shizneotae
    shizness
    shiznet
    shiznettel
    shiznetti
    shiznetz
    Shiznex
    shizney
    shiZni
    shiznia
    Shizniagliocci
    shiz-nibbler
    shiznibitz
    Shiznic
    shiz nicholson
    shiznicity
    shiznick
    Shiznickel
    shiznickle
    shiznickumitch
    shiznicov
    shiznid
    shiznig
    Shizniggit

© 1999-2016 Urban Dictionary ®
jobs   terms of service   privacy
remove   feedback

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »

GO what's with you stomping on me?  This is just like when Clusterfuck Nation was a comment thread with no nesting and when I posted something there that was a strong criticism of the status quo long comments of Chinese language gibberish would be posted so people could not see my comments without a lot of scrolling up which we both know most people won't do!

RE, is that all you have to say?  Did your dictionary refer to you in definitions by name when you looked up William F Buckly's big words?

Reality isn't what it used to be!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:56:47 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »
K-Dog, you have definitely stirred up GO to new heights of internetus fastidiousos detailous searchesous.   

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline monsta666

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: WSJ goes the Full Bernays in Apple-FBI Encryption Case
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-fbi-breach-of-the-iphone-is-a-win-for-users-1459742402

Why the FBI Breach of the iPhone Is a Win for Users
Experts say ‘lawful hacking’ helps make software more secure

In all fairness to the article (if you can ignore the provocative and somewhat click-bait nature of the headline) it makes the notable (perhaps somewhat naive) caveat that a FBI hack is good for the public PROVIDED the FBI disclose the vulnerability of the software/hardware to Apple. The so called white-hat hackers are hackers that purposely look for faults in software so they can report it to the companies in question and get a financial reward for their diligence.

With that said I have no doubts this article is still a puff piece to the FBI as it does not even scrutinise the lack of action on the part of the FBI to release this vulnerability to Apple. In addition it does not even explore the idea that this hack, and more important, behaviour could be abused by government authorities to needlessly monitor the public. Still all those points do not completely negate the argument that finding exploits and publishing them through the correct channels is a disservice to the public. In fact security through obscurity is less secure than a more transparent feedback process in the long-run and if the FBI fail to act then this exploit will be found by black-hackers who will use it for nefarious purposes. Indeed the article itself does explicitly say that the failure to state this weakness will be bad for the public from a security standpoint. The issue of privacy is not touched.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
RE, is that all you have to say?  Did your dictionary refer to you in definitions by name when you looked up William F Buckly's big words?

I never bothered looking them up.  If I couldn't figure out what he meant from context, I forgot about it.  You never heard those words again anyhow.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2016, 04:09:48 PM »
Monsta: In all fairness to the article (if you can ignore the provocative and somewhat click-bait nature of the headline) it makes the notable (perhaps somewhat naive) caveat that a FBI hack is good for the public PROVIDED the FBI disclose the vulnerability of the software/hardware to Apple.

Agreed.  However what the FBI was doing was not white-hat hacking, which is finding bugs in the software for the sake of making the software better - they were hacking the phone of a strongly-suspected suicide bombing team.  Even the most open and privacy-conscious government could have legislation that says that, on successful application to a suitable court, they could be allowed to do this.  It wouldn't be blanket surveillance, but highly targeted surveillance.

RE: I never knew SHIZNATICAL was a word!

It's not.  Urban Dictionary allows anyone to post a new word, and anonymous users are allowed.  The banter over "K-dog" is entirely consistent with it all being about someone/something entirely different from our K-dog.

K-dog, if there is a MitM between you and duckduckgo.com, the fingerprint of the certificate you get with the search results will NOT be:
SHA-256 Fingerprint: 5E:2A:79:C8:CC:10:F7:AB:CE:75:A3:EC:87:C3:B7:F8:7C:94:FA:55:37:99:10:55:A7:49:62:DD:16:68:10:AE
A few other people could report on what they get, to confirm this -
go to https://duckduckgo.com , click on the padlock in the address box, and follow the links to View Certificate

A much more likely scenario is that you have a rootkit on your system.  On Linux "rkhunter" is only going to find something if it starts off with a known clean system, and scanned before and after each kernel update.  This is a real pain, but without it, you can't complain.  There's a new Ubuntu coming out April 21 - do a fresh install, not an upgrade, and install rkhunter as the very first thing, then scan with --propupd to set it up.
The State is a body of armed men

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »
GO what's with you stomping on me? [/b] This is just like when Clusterfuck Nation was a comment thread with no nesting and when I posted something there that was a strong criticism of the status quo long comments of Chinese language gibberish would be posted so people could not see my comments without a lot of scrolling up which we both know most people won't do!

Not so K-Dog, you got it wrong.

Read your post said to myself. :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :WTF:

Typed your crazy word in myself to see what I would get.

Up pops urban dictionary with the word K-Dog as the first reply.

Then posted the entire page as shown to me after deleting a bunch of nothing on the side bar of same page which created the large void in both postings.

Then RE chimed in with his post and I grinned remembering Buckley and his verbosity.

Then decided to try the root word Shiznat ,in response to RE.  Same result Urban dictionary pops up and I posted page presented.

Made no comment about various definitions.  Viewed the entire exercise as a waste of time, akin to DOODLING.

JUST DOODLING

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:17:53 PM by Golden Oxen »

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
K-Dog, you have definitely stirred up GO to new heights of internetus fastidiousos detailous searchesous.   

:exp-grin: :exp-grin: :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh:

Not so this time Agelbert.

While always up for a nice friendly verbal spar where only ball kicking and vicious vitriol are allowed, as you can see I was merely wasting a bit of time and doing a bit of Doodling.  ;D

Don't Piss on me
Don't Piss on me
    :D

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
It sure would be nice to get paid for doodling. ;D