AuthorTopic: He's No Hunter Thompson  (Read 746 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
He's No Hunter Thompson
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
This is the new Rolling Stone piece on Trump, by Matt Taibbi. It's pretty long, so I'm just going to link to it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-america-made-donald-trump-unstoppable-20160224?page=4

Taibbi isn't bad, as writers go, but I can't help wishing the Doctor was still around. This campaign cries out for a  helpless and irresponsible and depraved man in the depths of an ether binge. Maybe some  blotter acid washed down with an ice cold tumblr of straight vodka.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: He's No Hunter Thompson
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »
I could do the blotter acid but the vodka would do me in.

Everybody seems to blame Trump for his popularity as if he does not deserve it because he is a moron or something.  I don't think he is a moron but I'll go with the or something.  Regardless the system is broken beyond repair because capitalism got out of control.  Trump is only taking advantage of a political system that disregards voters in favor of monied interests.  Since the major parties have abandoned humanism and embraced hedonism and the holy writ of self-interest someone had to come along to appeal to the populist.  That does not make Trump a Mussolini or Hitler and with the exception of Bernie no other candidate can claim to be better for America.  Clinton is a disaster regarding foreign relations, certainly no better than Trump would be and probably worse.  For the average American Trump with the exception of Bernie is probably the best deal.  Under Trump the rich will still get richer and the poor will still get poorer, but not by as much.  If other politicians were paragons of virtue Trump would not stand a chance.  If Trump is the best America can do, then America richly deserves Trump.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: He's No Hunter Thompson
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »
This is the new Rolling Stone piece on Trump, by Matt Taibbi. It's pretty long, so I'm just going to link to it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-america-made-donald-trump-unstoppable-20160224?page=4

Taibbi isn't bad, as writers go, but I can't help wishing the Doctor was still around. This campaign cries out for a  helpless and irresponsible and depraved man in the depths of an ether binge. Maybe some  blotter acid washed down with an ice cold tumblr of straight vodka.

Taibbi does a good job-- he really does-- but can you imagine what HST would have done with this campaign?

Taibbi jacked a three run homer witrh the observations comparing Trump to the WWF, and this was really memorable:

Trump found the flaw in the American Death Star. It doesn't know how to turn the cameras off, even when it's filming its own demise.

Which is good. But rermember,
“When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional.”
came from Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72

But perhaps HST saw this coming:
“The whole framework of the presidency is getting out of hand. It's come to the point where you almost can't run unless you can cause people to salivate and whip on each other with big sticks. You almost have to be a rock star to get the kind of fever you need to survive in American politics.”
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."