PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Election Errata

AuthorTopic: Election Errata  (Read 95839 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Election Errata: 3 Candle Day 🕯️🕯️🕯️
« Reply #810 on: November 06, 2018, 09:19:47 AM »
3 Candles
3 Candles

You've heard of a 3 Dog Night, right?  Well today is a 3 Candle 🕯️🕯️🕯️ Day.  :icon_sunny: 1 Candle🕯️ is for me, to give me energy to make it through another day of pain.  1 Candle🕯️ is for Beto O'Rourke, to Beat-o the scumbag Ted the Turkey down in Texas, the home of Steers & Queers.  1 Candle🕯️ is for the Demodopes to take control of the House of Reprehensibles.

I am interested to see how well Candle🕯️ Power works here today.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Hope the candles are working. Keep a fire extinguisher handy. You apartment is perfect for you. Don't burn it down.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Election Errata: 3 Candle Day 🕯️🕯️🕯️
« Reply #811 on: November 06, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »
3 Candles
3 Candles

You've heard of a 3 Dog Night, right?  Well today is a 3 Candle 🕯️🕯️🕯️ Day.  :icon_sunny: 1 Candle🕯️ is for me, to give me energy to make it through another day of pain.  1 Candle🕯️ is for Beto O'Rourke, to Beat-o the scumbag Ted the Turkey down in Texas, the home of Steers & Queers.  1 Candle🕯️ is for the Demodopes to take control of the House of Reprehensibles.

I am interested to see how well Candle🕯️ Power works here today.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Hope the candles are working. Keep a fire extinguisher handy. You apartment is perfect for you. Don't burn it down.

Have Fire Extinguishers handy.  I keep them right next to the Vodka & Vino under the sink.  I am a well prepped Pyromaniac.  :icon_sunny:

Fire Extinguishers
Fire Extinguishers

I made a really nice Fire Ring out of Aluminum Flashing to make a really big bonfire.  Unfortunately I think they would kick me out of the complex if I do it here.  I'm going to have to take a trip down to the Matanuska River near the campsite we stayed at to really light things up.  Sometime this winter when I want to brave the cold.  It's pretty frigid out there today, single digits.  I'm enjoying the nice controlled burn of the NG flowing into my digs at the moment.

You can call me the Human Torch.  You can be the Sub-Mariner.  :icon_sunny:

HT RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Election Errata
« Reply #812 on: November 06, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
When we spent the night back at Matanuska after we dropped you off, we figured out that you can either have a site with a fire ring, or you can have one with electricity and water. The sites with hook-ups don't have fire rings. That's a serious oversight on somebody's part. LOL.

We opted for the fire and spent another night without the heat on. No as bad for non-cripples with two people in a sleeping bag, as it was for you. Sorry we froze you out. I felt bad about that. (Just not bad enough to run the generator all night.) 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:12:30 AM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 06, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »
When we spent the night back at Matanuska after we dropped you off, we figured out that you can either have a site with a fire ring, or you can have one with electricity and water. The sites with hook-ups don't have fire rings. That's a serious oversight on somebody's part. LOL.

We opted for the fire and spent another night without the heat on. No as bad for non-cripples with two people in a sleeping bag, as it was for you. Sorry we froze you out. I felt bad about that. (Just not bad enough to run the generator all night.)

"Froze out" is an apt description.  However, I lived through it, though not an experience I care to repeat.  I will let you and your beloved take your own vacations.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 06, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »

"Froze out" is an apt description.  However, I lived through it, though not an experience I care to repeat.  I will let you and your beloved take your own vacations.

RE

Well, for me the trip was pretty good, if not ideal.

I'm sorry you didn't have your legs back so you could have hiked up to the glacier with us.  It was worth the three hour hike in pouring rain, and not too many things in life ARE worth a three hour  hike in pouring rain.

I didn't think it was going to be visible. For most of the hike it was very overcast and I thought it might be like up at Denali, where the view was obscured by the clouds. Then, just when I thought we weren't going to even see it, there it was. Nothing like I've ever seen. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:23 AM »

RE

Well, for me the trip was pretty good, if not ideal.

I'm sorry you didn't have your legs back so you could have hiked up to the glacier with us.  It was worth the three hour hike in pouring rain, and not too many things in life ARE worth a three hour  hike in pouring rain.

I didn't think it was going to be visible. For most of the hike it was very overcast and I thought it might be like up at Denali, where the view was obscured by the clouds. Then, just when I thought we weren't going to even see it, there it was. Nothing like I've ever seen. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Did you get any pics?

My problems are my problems,but they were exacerbated on this trip which was what made it so awful for me.  I am glad you had a good time though.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 06, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
My pics aren't as good as hers, and I don't have hers myself...but this is the glacier in the distance.

IMG 1663
IMG 1663

From here, you're looking across the lake at the glacier. There is a dot that is a big tour boat, if you can see it.
IMG 1673
IMG 1673

The dot, telephoto view.

IMG 1671
IMG 1671

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 06, 2018, 01:30:06 PM »
I was wrong. I couldn't make out the tour boat and so I blew it up and figured out it wasn't in that pic at all. My bad. The dots are calving ice.

Here's the boat in perspective. You can at least make it out, barely.

IMG 1674
IMG 1674

Couple more. Here is looking back down the lake in the direction away from the glacier. The tour boats come from that direction, but the mountain  to the right blocks the view of the marina. We climbed over that mountain, basically. The trail goes through a little notch.

IMG 1676
IMG 1676

This is the beach on the side of the lake where we were, looking back towards where we hiked in.

IMG 1677
IMG 1677

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 06, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
That camera has decent resolution, so you can blow them up if you click on them. The poor quality I blame on the fact that it was indeed raining while I took them...but her iPad took better pics anyway.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Live U.S. House Election Results
« Reply #819 on: November 06, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/06/us/elections/results-house-elections.html
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🎵 Love Me I'm a Liberal: Phil Ochs Updated for Trumpovetsky
« Reply #820 on: November 06, 2018, 03:34:32 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qNfucKAftB0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qNfucKAftB0</a>
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Voter turnout in Cuyahoga County creeping toward eclipsing 2014
« Reply #821 on: November 06, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
Turnout of Demodopes appears BIG.  Repugnants look like they will be TOAST.

RE

Voter turnout in Cuyahoga County creeping toward eclipsing 2014 midterms halfway through day
Updated 1:34 PM; Posted 9:20 AM

This map from the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections shows the voter turnout for each precinct as of 12:48 p.m. (Cuyahoga County Board of Elec)
1.5k shares

By Adam Ferrise, cleveland.com

aferrise@cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Voter turnout in Cuyahoga County is already creeping toward eclipsing the 2014 midterm elections halfway through Election Day.

Total voter turnout as of 1:03 p.m. stands at 35.3 percent. The 2014 elections turned out 39.5 percent of registered voters, according to the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections.

The latest elections turnout numbers say 157,595 people have voted so far today and 161,930 voted in absentee ballots.

Of those 318,000 voters, 44.4 percent are registered Democrats, 30.5 are nonpartisans and 25 percent are Republicans.

In Cuyahoga County, there are 899,326 voters registered for this year’s midterm election. That’s an increase over the 886,098 registered voters for the 2014 midterm, according to Board of Elections data.

Many polling locations across the county have reported a busier Election Day than normal.

Cuyahoga County Board of Elections Director Pat McDonald said voters have been steadily streaming into polling locations since the polls opened at 6:30 a.m. He predicted that voter turnout could reach 55 percent by the time polls close at 7:30 p.m.

Turnout has been highest in Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, Beachwood and Westlake, McDonald said.

Cleveland has 24 percent voter turnout so far on Tuesday, according to the Board of Elections.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Congratulations, Democrats. Now Watch Your Step.
« Reply #822 on: November 07, 2018, 12:28:36 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-11-07/midterm-election-results-house-democrats-should-tread-carefully

Politics & Policy
Congratulations, Democrats. Now Watch Your Step.

Control of the House means much-needed investigations of Trump. Make sure they’re serious and fair.
By Albert R. Hunt
November 6, 2018, 7:20 PM AKST Corrected November 6, 2018, 9:02 PM AKST

A good place to start. Photographer: Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images
Albert R. Hunt is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist covering politics and policy. He was the executive editor of Bloomberg News, before which he was a reporter, bureau chief and executive Washington editor at the Wall Street Journal.

Taking control of the House of Representatives will give Democrats a gold mine worth of opportunities to investigate the ethically challenged administration of President Donald Trump. That’s a potential nightmare for the White House but also a political minefield for the winners.

There will be probes into the president's financial dealings, more on his connections to Russia, inspections of the questionable policies and practices of some Cabinet members, and, says the next Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, "a deep dive" into ties between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia.

"We're going to do our job; they may think that's a nightmare," said Representative Elijah Cummings of Maryland, who will become chair of the House Oversight Committee — a body that showed no appetite for oversight under Republicans for the last two years. Cummings said in an interview that Democrats would be "careful, methodical and transparent."

He and other Democrats understand the pitfalls of overreach following the Republicans’ partisan excesses during the presidency of Barack Obama. "We can't look like Torquemada," said Representative Gerald Connolly of Virginia, an Oversight Committee member, referring to the grand inquisitor of 15th-century Spain. That's even more true given the Democrats’ slender new House majority and the Republicans’ added strength in the Senate.

The Democrats’ investigative course depends in part on the actions of Justice Department Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is looking at connections between Russia and Trump’s 2016 campaign. If he brings charges in the next couple of months against Trump operatives, Democrats are likely to narrow the scope of their congressional inquiries. If the president tries to sabotage Muller, for example through a new and hostile attorney general, there will be a concerted effort by congressional Democrats to publicly reveal whatever Trump tries to hide.

Whether the new Democratic House chooses experience or fresh faces for its leadership will be an important factor in guiding and restraining the inquiries. Strong direction will be needed to set priorities and to prevent opportunistic committee and subcommittee chairmen from seeking daily headlines.

That argues for keeping Nancy Pelosi in the speaker’s chair. She was effectively demonized by Republicans during the campaign as a symbol of coastal elitism, and now there are a handful of new Democratic representatives who will arrive in Washington committed to voting against her. But no alternative to the California lawmaker is as skillful, tough or more persuasive to left-wingers who will be impatient for action on pet measures like abolishing the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency or impeachment of Trump. A compromise may be for Pelosi to make a two-year leadership pledge, move younger members to top spots and let others be the party’s public face.

Democrats will need savvy leaders to prevent cheap shots like improper leaks of Trump's tax returns. It would also be counterproductive for committees to spend time looking backward at controversies like the ethics scandals that forced out former Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt, or at whether Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh told the truth during his confirmation hearings. Those are yesterday’s issues. And it would be stupid for Democrats to let themselves be baited by Trump's demagoguery; he's more effective in the gutter than his critics.

Trump will be ready to mount a counterattack accusing Democrats of behaving like partisan attack dogs; he loves to play victim of witch hunts. There are sensitive issues that will require careful consideration. For example, Congress may have the authority to get Trump's tax returns — the president has repeatedly reneged on a promise to release them — but perhaps not to present them to the public.

There are three key committees: the Oversight panel headed by Cummings; the Intelligence Committee led by Schiff, a southern Californian, and the Judiciary Committee to be headed by Jerrold Nadler of New York.

Cummings said he wants Democrats to make sure that the 2020 census, conducted by the Commerce Department, is not being manipulated for political reasons.

But much of his oversight panel's work will focus on potential conflicts of interest involving Trump and his family.

"The focus should be on issues that show Trump and gang stealing from all of us to benefit themselves," said Norman Eisen, who directs an ethics watchdog group, was the top ethics official on the staff of President Barack Obama and retains close ties to party leaders. He wants Congress to look into potential violations of the emoluments clause of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids a president from taking payments from a foreign government. Trump has remained in control of family businesses that have foreign officials as customers, notably the Trump International Hotel in Washington. Eisen said that he’d also like to see probes of administration decisions that affect the Trump Organization's business interests and those of Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, and son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

The Intelligence Committee had long cultivated a tradition of bipartisanship until its Republican chairman, Devin Nunes of California, and his ally Trey Gowdy of South Carolina used it to run interference for Trump in White House dealings with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. They also alienated many intelligence professionals, a rift Schiff has vowed to repair.

He and most Democrats on the panel believe there are crucial questions that Republicans ignored. Was candidate Trump involved in a June, 2016 meeting between a Russian lawyer offering dirt on Democrats and Trump's son, son-in-law and campaign chairman? Was Russian money funneled into the Republican campaign through the National Rifle Association? Did Russian businesspeople bail out a financially troubled citizen Trump with Florida real estate deals? Did Trump allies including Roger Stone tell the truth in testimony they gave in congressional proceedings?

Schiff’s look at Saudi Arabia would probably explore any role that Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman may have played in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and Saudi critic, in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last month.

If Democratic firebrands succeed in the effort to push forward an impeachment inquiry, the Judiciary Committee would be the venue. Most party leaders have argued for a go-slow approach, at least until the special counsel's probe is completed. There are more productive potential investigative avenues for the judiciary panel, like the politicization of the Justice Department and actions intended to suppress turnout of poor and minority voters who generally favor Democrats.

The Judiciary Committee is one of the most sharply divided ideologically, with the Democrats dominated by their left wing and Republicans by their right.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Either Way They Vote Americans Remain Suckered...
« Reply #823 on: November 07, 2018, 01:18:07 AM »
https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/11/06/either-way-they-vote-americans-remain-suckered-into-being-a-worldwide-genocidal-killing-machine/

Either Way They Vote Americans Remain Suckered Into Being a Worldwide Genocidal Killing Machine
November 6, 2018 Patrice de Bergeracpas

HELP ENLIGHTEN YOUR FELLOWS. BE SURE TO PASS THIS ON TO KIN, FRIENDS AND WORKMATES

By Jay Janson
Americans being suckered into focusing on voting for one of the two parties of the ruling genocidal Wall St. plutocracy, US CIA controlled media informs of Yemeni children dying from bombs & starvation knowing its captive audience will not turn against the American killing machine. Once USA-EU loses hegemony, the many nations that have seen their children murdered by USA and European empires will demand justice.
Death an destruction everywhere we go, but the images, even when available, seem to move few Americans to action.

The good people of the murderously plundered Third World should not let themselves be taken in by USA worldwide satellite beamed CIA-fed media prattling on continuously about American democracy during ongoing elections. It has often been pointed out that there really is only one party allowed in the United States, the party of the ruling propertied capitalists, and it has two right wings: Republican and Democrat.
Former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark, once the highest law officer of the USA, who helped write both important civil rights laws, speaks to his fellow Americans clearly,

“We’re not a democracy. It’s a terrible misunderstanding and a slander to the idea of democracy to call us that. In reality, we’re a plutocracy: a government by the wealthy.”

One of the most internationally powerful plutocrats in US history, John Pierpont Morgan, in a candid moment admitted, ”Of all forms of tyranny the least attractive and the most vulgar is the tyranny of mere wealth, the tyranny of plutocracy” .

The well respected third president of the USA, Thomas Jefferson, saw the plutocracy coming when he said,“I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country.”
Already in 1922, USA’s most famous economist Thorstein Veblen wrote,  ”The current situation in America is by way of being something of a psychiatrical clinic...Perhaps the commonest and plainest evidence of an unbalanced mentality is to be seen in a certain fearsome and feverish credulity with which a large proportion of
Americans are affected…. There is a visible lack of composure and logical coherence, both in what they will believe and in what they are ready to do about it.”
Veblen assumed depression to  be the normal condition  in a business-enterprise economy, to be relieved in periods of excitation caused by stimuli not intrinsic to the system like war and expansion abroad. Veblen saw the modern business leader as essentially a latter-day predatory warrior. He saw the American working class that, far from wishing to abolish the economic system under which it worked, sought largely to occupy a more rewarding and honorific role within it.  In short, he saw emulation of the criminal ruling class, not revolutionary agitation, as the most persistent  motive force of the working class in America. [Thorstein Veblen by Douglas Dowd, 1966]
Veblen’s observation is born out by Americans always having been willing to follow criminal orders and bomb, invade and occupy other peoples’ lands the world over.

A contemporary poet, describes well, what is hailed as democracy by Wall Street owned criminal US media,

“Regardless of the dissembling of corporate state propagandists, free market capitalism has always been a government subsidized, bubble-inflating, swindlers’ game, in which, psychopathic personalities (not “job creators” but con job perpetrators) thrive. By the exploitation of the many, a ruthless few have amassed large amounts of capital by which they dominate mainstream narratives and compromise elected and governmental officials, thereby gaming the system for their benefit. Around the world, the U.S. empire wages perpetual war, hot and cold, overt and covert, including military brinksmanship with the nuclear power, the Russian Federation.”.—” Phil Rockstroh

Paul Craig Roberts, former editor of the Wall Street Journal, and Undersecretary of the Treasury under Ronald Reagan, in his article, The Looting Machine Called Capitalism, wrote,
“Americans are the least exceptional people in human history. Americans have no rights at all. We hapless insignificant beings have to accept whatever capitalists and their puppet government impose on us. And we are so stupid we call it ‘Freedom and Democracy America.’”
Americans today are wildly mesmerized in avid interest in the outcome of the November 6th mid-term election. At the same time, the USA is and has been fueling, arming and target selecting for the Saudi airstrikes for three years. In November 2017, Save the Children reported that 130 children were dying every day, with 50,000 children already believed to have died in 2017. The U.N. officials said more than 20 million people, including 11 million children, are in need of urgent assistance, with 7 million totally dependent on food assistance. The U.N. has called it the “worst humanitarian crisis in the world.”

The US CIA-controlled media is so sure of the headlock it has on the American public, its mainstream media can even inform of Yemeni children dying from bombs & starvation knowing its captive audience will not turn against their American killing machine. Even the most eye-rebounding photos  published in wars supporting New York Times https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/world/middleeast/yemen-starvation-amal-hussain.htmland seen on PBS television channels will not put a dent in American solidarity with its government’s and military’s genocidal actions in Yemen – prosecutable genocidal crimes against humanity.

In One American Ear and Out the Other
Here is mainstream criminal Washington Post,

”Critics allege American support has enabled the Saudi-led coalition to conduct an air campaign resulting in repeated targeting of civilian sites
And here is C-Span
Rep Tulsi Gabbard Questions the US’ role in Yemen – C-Span
In 2008, for two weeks the major networks telecasted as humorous, Rev. Jeremiah Wright’s cry, his finger pointed to the sky, “God bless America? No, no, God damn America for her crimes against humanity!”  In 2012, prime time news during the Republican debates of presidential candidates, candidate Rep. Ron Paul was heard denouncing “all US bombings and invasions beginning with those in Korea as illegal, unconstitutional and a horrific loss of human life.”

But nothing can effect a change in American dedication to their military and its military’s heritage (of gore, death and destruction).

American film maker Michael Moore’s castigates his fellow Americans as“sick and twisted violent people that we’ve been for hundreds of years, it’s something that’s just in our craw, just in our DNA. Americans kill people, because that’s what we do. We invade countries. We send drones in to kill civilians.”
In one American ear and out the other.
Martin Luther King made bold headlines in newspaper throughout the world with, “The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today is my government. In Vietnam we may have killed a million already, mostly children.” King cried out, “Silence is treason!” but at home extremely few Americans spoke out in agreement,  many spoke against him, most were silent, and King was shot to death within the year.

No, this archival research peoples historian activist is convinced that no change will be coming from anywhere in the American led First World, especially now as it is hard pressed losing its hegemony to a future multipolar world.

Some of us work to somehow make this Americans killing millions of children come to be topic of conversation in the Third World for the children’s lives that could be saved.  Once USA-EU loses hegemony and can no longer sanction, the many nations that have seen their children murdered by USA and European empires will demand justice in the courts of a reconstituted and reorganized democratic United Nations. In the meantime let’s have faith that the astounding intelligence witnessed in the miraculous achievements in outer and inner space will eventually manifest itself in ending the five centuries of European and American genocide for money and power.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

JAY JANSON, Resident Historian, Distinguished Collaborator •  Jay Janson is an archival research peoples historian activist, musician and writer; has lived and worked on all continents; articles on media published in China, Italy, UK, India and in the US by Dissident Voice, Global Research; Information Clearing House; Counter Currents and others; now resides in NYC; First effort was a series of articles on deadly cultural pollution endangering seven areas of life emanating from Western corporate owned commercial media published in Hong Kong’s Window Magazine 1993; Howard Zinn lent his name to various projects of his; Weekly column, South China Morning Post, 1986-87; reviews for Ta Kung Bao; article China Daily, 1989. Is coordinator of the Howard Zinn co-founded King Condemned US Wars International Awareness Campaign, and website historian of the Ramsey Clark co-founded Prosecute US Crimes Against Humanity Now Campaign, which Dissident Voice supports with link at the end of each issue of its newsletter.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
THE BLUE WAVE THAT WASN’T: WILL TRUMP BLAME HOUSE DEMS FOR THE NEXT RECESSION?
« Reply #824 on: November 07, 2018, 11:29:33 AM »
THE BLUE WAVE THAT WASN’T: WILL TRUMP BLAME HOUSE DEMOCRATS FOR THE NEXT RECESSION?
Voters took a major swing toward Democrats, but the Senate got even redder. That doesn’t suggest simple repudiation of Trump as much as it suggests increased national polarization and a continuing realignment.

Andrew Gillum gives his concession speech November 6, 2018 in Tallahassee, Florida.
By Mark Wallheiser/Getty Images.

Farewell, Republican House majority. Much like the Pontiac Aztek, you will be missed. You greased the way for bills that most Americans didn’t want (like the repeal of Obamacare) while going nowhere on bills that most Americans did want (like infrastructure). Even with laws that congressional Democrats oppose but most Americans support, such as requiring employers to use E-Verify, Republicans were too owned by their own special interests to act. They managed to be both do-nothing and do-bad.

What happened during this election, anyway? On the one hand, voters took a major swing toward Democrats, favoring them by a popular-vote margin of (as currently projected) 9 percentage points, bigger than even the major “thumping,” asGeorge W. Bushcalled it, of Republicans in 2006. That suggests a major repudiation of Trump. On the other hand, the Senate got redder, and much-vaunted Democratic candidates such as Andrew Gillum and Bill Nelson in Florida,Stacey Abrams in Georgia,Phil Bredesen in Tennessee, andBeto O’Rourke in Texas all fell short of hopes, sometimes way short. The ouster of Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill,who’d won re-election in a landslide in 2012, will also cause a lot of agonizing. That doesn’t suggest simple repudiation of Trump as much as it suggests increased national polarization and a continuing realignment. We’ll surely be wiser in a week, but, so far, the results seem to vindicate the prediction of political analyst Henry Olsen that upscale suburban Republicans would flee to the Democratic side.

Now we push on. And most Americans can exhale a little over a return to divided government. That’s not because Democrats can boast of great plans, vision, or integrity. But they can at least get in the way of awful Republican laws. If the White House commits malfeasance—stuff that’s not merely sleazy but possibly criminal—Democrats can dig into it and subpoena witnesses. If the #Resistance is freaking out, Democrats can calm them down simply by being in charge of a major gate to action in all things. No Republican bill passes anymore without some Democrats signing onto it. Bipartisanship produces lots of horrible legislation, too, but it tends to curb excesses and unsound ambition.

Many of Trump’s deplorables will be bitter, and understandably so. They elected Donald Trump because he promised to build a wall. There will be no wall. Priorities are policy, and Trump’s were elsewhere. He focused his political capital on helping Paul Ryan,an adversary, enact Paul Ryan’s dream agenda. The deplorables barely escaped seeing millions in their own ranks thrown into health-care chaos, and they got a tax bill so unpopular that Republicans were afraid to campaign on it.

Curiously, despite the setbacks, Trump finds himself in a non-disastrous place. The Republican majority in the Senate has grown, which makes it easier to confirm judges and other appointees, and it also shields him from some of the oversight that would have come with a Democratic takeover of both houses of Congress. He also has a foil now. Donald Trump is thin-skinned but combative. He loves to fight. You might even say he likes his enemies better than his friends.Nancy Pelosi and the House Democrats will bother Trump, but they’ll also energize him. The mental health of the rest of us will depend on how seriously we wish to take each cage match.

Democrats will, of course, put an end to Republican investigations into possible F.B.I. improprieties during the 2016 election and instead launch investigations into every Trump-related impropriety over the past 70 years. Special Counsel Robert Mueller will unseal indictments, and a Democratic House will be far more eager to pursue anything that leads to Trump’s door. But it’s hard to say what will draw blood. We don’t know what Mueller has, but indications are that it’s not going to be fatal to the White House. As for Trump’s other shenanigans over the years, the public has a hard time understanding complicated malfeasance, and everyone already knows he’s a rascal.

If we avoid war, God willing, the biggest mystery factor going forward will be the effects of the next recession. Rising interest rates, falling home prices, a bumpy stock market, and other clouds on the horizon suggest that a downturn, after an exceptionally long economic expansion, is imminent. This won’t be anyone’s fault, but we can count on Trump to blame the House Democrats and all Democrats to blame Trump. The fundamentals of this would work in favor of Democrats, because voters tend to blame presidents first and foremost. But, since his first two years have been seen an economic boom, Trump might be able to argue that things were going great until a Democratic House majority stood in his way. Either way, odds are high that 2019 and 2020 will be recession years and 2021 a recovery year. If Trump wins a second term, he’ll get credit for the recovery. Otherwise, the credit will go to President Avenatti.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound